What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dallas Goedert, PHI (2 Viewers)

You may be right 

I’m not going to try to use the horrible search function here, but it seems to me a lot of posters were saying the exact thing about him last August 
 People were considering a backup rookie TE to post a TE1 season? Either they’re not very smart or your memory is terrible.

I’m on the highend TE2 with major upside train. He’s my top TE2 to own in dynasty and redraft (deep rosters). 

People were considering a backup rookie TE to post a TE1 season? Either they’re not very smart or your memory is terrible.

I’m on the highend TE2 with major upside train. He’s my top TE2 to own in dynasty and redraft (deep rosters). 
Ya, just looked back through the thread, people were not saying that.  Mostly just debating how he was a fit for the Eagles and not really fantasy numbers.  Most people that did predict fantasy numbers were pretty bang on with the 200-500/4-6 type predictions. 

Everyone kinda knew how this was going to play out, it was going to take a year for him to get into the offense and it looks like he will now.  He will be a better NFL TE than fantasy TE, which I'm perfectly fine and happy with.  Those who drafted him in fantasy were well aware that he'd be splitting reps with Ertz (unless they drafted before the NFL draft which is rare)

And they like to run two TE sets. And Ertz, IMO, is solid but not great. There is room to leap past him. Probably takes a year or two. But I don't think it's crazy to think Goedert can finish between ~TE8 and TE16. There are about 20 guys who can. Why not him?
@Deamon

that took a minute and a half

🤨

I actually feel fairly strongly that Ertz and Goedert will be the next TE duo to have two from same team in top 10,  not in 2018, but eventually.

As it relates to Goedart, I think he will be very good in helping the Eagles this season. As a FF option, I think he is mostly an emergency replacement that you hope has a good week the week you use him. I just don't see him getting consistently good numbers every week (because of the team he is on).

Patience is needed here. If Ertz goes down it's on. If not we're looking at 2-3 years. 

I'd use Ertz's rookie season as what Goedert will probably get.  450 yds, 4 TD's.  Upside potential for more TD's, doubtful he gets more yards then that.

On limited snaps, he wil still at least have TD upside in a good offense which probably puts him in TE2 range immediately. And then you have immense injury upside if Ertz goes down. 

Definitely not this year, and I doubt next year too.  think we have the next two seasons before that's going to happen anyways though.

I’ve said before this feels a lot like the Ertz/Celek situation.  We’ll see Goedert doing more and more over the next 4 years. 

Trey Burton had 248/5 last year.  Goedert's strength is the intermediate and deep routes so I'd expect more yards with at least the same number of TDs.

For purposes of this thread, I think Goedart will put up numbers next year similar to Burton's this year. Probably around 20 catches for around 250 yards and let's say 4 TD's. I think his value as a blocking/receiving TE will be more as a football player than as a fantasy football stat producing TE.
Most people pretty bang on here.  Not a person was expecting top 10 last year at all.

I don't think anyone was talking him up as top 5.  I think the excitement was that he'd be used more in the offense and could be around TE10 with top 3 TE upside if Ertz misses time.
It's a tough spot for Goedert. He could be so much more but was drafted into a terrible situation. If Goedert plays out of his mind then maybe they cut Ertz. Goedert is a lot cheaper being on his rookie deal. It's more likely they extend Ertz through 2022 where he'll be 32 years old. Then they let Ertz walk and sign Goedert. Which in that scenario Goedert, depending on roster sizes, was a wasted pick. 5 years of splitting time with Ertz and being basically unstartable. 

It's a tough spot for Goedert. He could be so much more but was drafted into a terrible situation. If Goedert plays out of his mind then maybe they cut Ertz. Goedert is a lot cheaper being on his rookie deal. It's more likely they extend Ertz through 2022 where he'll be 32 years old. Then they let Ertz walk and sign Goedert. Which in that scenario Goedert, depending on roster sizes, was a wasted pick. 5 years of splitting time with Ertz and being basically unstartable. 
Well you drafted the guy in your leagues when you already knew all of these things, no?

Well you drafted the guy in your leagues when you already knew all of these things, no?
In the 3rd round sure. His talent is to good. If he had lasted one more pick and gone to the Cowboys I would have valued him as a top 3 dynasty rookie pick. It's got to be tough for Goedert too. I mean he's a professional so he'll say the right things but I imagine he knows he could do more. Ertz is a target hog though and he's not going anywhere so Goedert's stuck. 

In the 3rd round sure. His talent is to good. If he had lasted one more pick and gone to the Cowboys I would have valued him as a top 3 dynasty rookie pick. It's got to be tough for Goedert too. I mean he's a professional so he'll say the right things but I imagine he knows he could do more. Ertz is a target hog though and he's not going anywhere so Goedert's stuck. 
I'm confused dude.  You said depending on your roster sizes, he was a wasted pick.  I'm assuming you're talking about fantasy instead of the nfl. 

So you knew he was going to be 'behind' Ertz when you took him in your league, so you had all the information when you took him.  So what are you upset about?

Or did you draft him in your fantasy league before the NFL draft?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused dude.  You said depending on your roster sizes, he was a wasted pick.  I'm assuming you're talking about fantasy instead of the nfl. 

So you knew he was going to be 'behind' Ertz when you took him in your league, so you had all the information when you took him.  So what are you upset about?

Or did you draft him in your fantasy league before the NFL draft?
Yeah I'm talking my dynasty roster. I'm upset at how close he came top being a top 3 TE in dynasty. Which he would have been after one year had he gone to Dallas. I can be a little salty there. He was literally one pick away and the Eagles traded up in the 2nd round so they could target him 60 times a year. It was agonizingly close.

Hurt Goederts earning potential significantly too. Those are the breaks though. Got to play the hand you're dealt. 

And yes I drafted him knowing this. Still sucks to watch him waste away. 

Yeah I'm talking my dynasty roster. I'm upset at how close he came top being a top 3 TE in dynasty. Which he would have been after one year had he gone to Dallas. I can be a little salty there. He was literally one pick away and the Eagles traded up in the 2nd round so they could target him 60 times a year. It was agonizingly close.

Hurt Goederts earning potential significantly too. Those are the breaks though. Got to play the hand you're dealt. 
Again, did you draft Goedert BEFORE the nfl draft or after it?

After but still sucks to watch him waste his prime getting 50 targets a year. 

Is there a problem here? Lol you seem mad. 
lol im not mad, this just makes zero sense.  How was it "so close" to being a top 3 TE?  If he was drafted by Dallas, you might have not gotten him in your draft.  Or would have had to take him a round earlier.   You fully knew the situation ahead when you took him, so you're admitting you wasted a pick on him, KNOWING you'd be wasting a pick on him.  Nothing about his usage/numbers has been surprising or odd.  He's doing exactly what you predicted he'd do when you took him, so there's no issue here.

lol im not mad, this just makes zero sense.  How was it "so close" to being a top 3 TE?  If he was drafted by Dallas, you might have not gotten him in your draft.  Or would have had to take him a round earlier.   You fully knew the situation ahead when you took him, so you're admitting you wasted a pick on him, KNOWING you'd be wasting a pick on him.  Nothing about his usage/numbers has been surprising or odd.  He's doing exactly what you predicted he'd do when you took him, so there's no issue here.
Well it was only a 3rd rounder but yes if Ertz stays healthy it'll be more like 3-4 years before Goedert makes much noise. I would have happily taken him in the 1st round if he'd gone to Dallas. This is a FF forum right? You don't see how the way this situation with Goedert's landing spot has played out could be frustrating? I don't know what to tell you then. He's an elite talent stuck behind a good talent with a rock solid established role. 

Well it was only a 3rd rounder but yes if Ertz stays healthy it'll be more like 3-4 years before Goedert makes much noise. I would have happily taken him in the 1st round if he'd gone to Dallas. This is a FF forum right? You don't see how the way this situation with Goedert's landing spot has played out could be frustrating? I don't know what to tell you then. He's an elite talent stuck behind a good talent with a rock solid established role. 
No, not even a little.  You drafted him knowing how this would play out.  You knew exactly how it would play out and took him anyways.

It's like a guy breaking his leg, then you draft him the next day knowing that, and then saying "oh this is frustrating owning him as he has a broken leg and has to miss this season.  What a tough break for me"

No, not even a little.  You drafted him knowing how this would play out.  You knew exactly how it would play out and took him anyways.

It's like a guy breaking his leg, then you draft him the next day knowing that, and then saying "oh this is frustrating owning him as he has a broken leg and has to miss this season.  What a tough break for me"
Ok well I don't know what to tell ya. It's more a tough break for Goedert but yeah I drafted him knowing he was screwed unless Ertz got hurt. That doesn't necessarily make the situation less frustrating for me. Just anticipated. 

Maybe the Eagles will do Goedert a favor and trade him. Lolol

lol.  First of all he was the only one that mentioned 'top 10".  Also, it's a bit of a stretch to say that "I dont think its crazy that he could be between 8 and 16" is the "exact same thing" as "he'll be around top 10 with top 3 upside". 

That's an insane reach.
That's what I was about to say. I didn't have any illusions last year about Goedert's chances to get there. And accordingly I didn't draft him anywhere except in a couple bestballs. No redrafts or dynasties. I was only making the point that in the fantasy wasteland of TEs it wouldn't have been crazy if he had finished TE8 to TE16 (arbitrary I know). 8th to 16th at PPG means he is basically not startable. Anyone below TE6 is losing their boxscore matchup on average. 

But for 2019 (so that someone can quote this a year from now), I think his outlook is.....well exactly the same. A reasonable "not crazy" chance to finish 8 to 16 (with a healthy Ertz). Whether he gets there or not I'm again going to avoid him.

ETA I guess I did take him in one dynasty, but I recently traded him and Kerryon Johnson for Chubb and Andrews. FWIW

Agreed similar outlook but a little higher......he wasn't hitting TE8 last year. He could this year......TDs are notoriously hard to predict. Anywhere from 4-10 wouldn't surprise me.

Last year he was TE 20 and missed the (arbitrary) bound of TE16 by 25 FPs (in my FFPC style league I owned him - TE receptions go for 1.5 pts). 

Missed TE10 by 53 pts. A couple more big games with a couple missed games by Ertz could do it. Higher snap percentage this year maybe. I'm still avoiding. 

Last year he was TE 20 and missed the (arbitrary) bound of TE16 by 25 FPs (in my FFPC style league I owned him - TE receptions go for 1.5 pts). 

Missed TE10 by 53 pts. A couple more big games with a couple missed games by Ertz could do it. Higher snap percentage this year maybe. I'm still avoiding. 
I like your logic. I wasn't factoring in Ertz missing games. Def TE8 ceiling at least with Ertz out. TE2 ceiling with that happening. 

Put me down for a rough prediction of 42 catches for 430 yards and 5 TDs.  About 115 Fantasy points which puts him around TE12.  His rank of TE 20-23 where he mostly is ranked this year, seems criminally low.

If Ertz misses time, those numbers go up quite a bit.  I might reach for him a round higher than his ADP just cause he's the type of guy that can win you a league if Ertz goes down, and he's fine as a backup TE otherwise.  Could be a good late round redraft nab.

Put me down for a rough prediction of 42 catches for 430 yards and 5 TDs.  About 115 Fantasy points which puts him around TE12.  His rank of TE 20-23 where he mostly is ranked this year, seems criminally low.

If Ertz misses time, those numbers go up quite a bit.  I might reach for him a round higher than his ADP just cause he's the type of guy that can win you a league if Ertz goes down, and he's fine as a backup TE otherwise.  Could be a good late round redraft nab.
I agree with a lot of that. I would just mention again TD'S are notoriously hard to predict. His TD ceiling is high. 

I agree with a lot of that. I would just mention again TD'S are notoriously hard to predict. His TD ceiling is high. 
TD's very tough.  I was going to say 3-7 but wanted a concrete random guess number so went with 5.

From an actual football standpoint (and as an Eagles fan), I'm very excited about him this year.  He's going to keep defenses honest, keep double teams off of Ertz, and I think his blocking will be improved.  He will be on the field a lot more this year than last year, and I think his value to the team is going to possibly outweigh his fantasy impact this year.

TD's very tough.  I was going to say 3-7 but wanted a concrete random guess number so went with 5.

From an actual football standpoint (and as an Eagles fan), I'm very excited about him this year.  He's going to keep defenses honest, keep double teams off of Ertz, and I think his blocking will be improved.  He will be on the field a lot more this year than last year, and I think his value to the team is going to possibly outweigh his fantasy impact this year.
He's a great player. Just doesn't have much room to grow in this offense right now. The only way he's much use in FF this year is if Ertz gets hurt or he hits his TD ceiling. 

.  He's going to keep defenses honest, keep double teams off of Ertz, and I think his blocking will be improved.  He will be on the field a lot more this year than last year, and I think his value to the team is going to possibly outweigh his fantasy impact this year.
This too

Deamon said:

This has been my exact thinking. He’s a decent bet in deep leagues and the type of guy you want in best ball. 

Without an Ertz injury Goedert's ceiling is 60-650........TDs are tough so I'll pass on that but with a healthy/prime Ertz I can't see Goedert getting more than 80 targets. 

Milkman said:
Well it was only a 3rd rounder but yes if Ertz stays healthy it'll be more like 3-4 years before Goedert makes much noise. I would have happily taken him in the 1st round if he'd gone to Dallas. This is a FF forum right? You don't see how the way this situation with Goedert's landing spot has played out could be frustrating? I don't know what to tell you then. He's an elite talent stuck behind a good talent with a rock solid established role
I know you have a mancrush on Goedart, and I don't blame you, I like him a lot too, but can we not undersell Ertz so much? The guy has the most receptions by a TE through six seasons and set the record for most receptions in a season last year. That means he is more than just a good talent. He knows how to get open and he catches the ball when it is thrown to him. Now I think he got so many receptions last year in part because the Eagles running game was not good, so they looked to Ertz as a safe alternative. If the Eagles running game is better this year, the ball will be spread around more and Ertz will get less targets.

I know you have a mancrush on Goedart, and I don't blame you, I like him a lot too, but can we not undersell Ertz so much? The guy has the most receptions by a TE through six seasons and set the record for most receptions in a season last year. That means he is more than just a good talent. He knows how to get open and he catches the ball when it is thrown to him. Now I think he got so many receptions last year in part because the Eagles running game was not good, so they looked to Ertz as a safe alternative. If the Eagles running game is better this year, the ball will be spread around more and Ertz will get less targets.
I don't know about a man crush but yes I believe Goedert is better than Ertz. Was never super high on Ertz but established roles that are successful are tough to push off the field so I don't see Goedert pushing Ertz off the field anytime soon. So your boy Ertz is safe. 

Sigh.......so good......and completely blocked from breaking out......for years too......

Maybe not. Its entirely possible the Eagles see how good he is, and run a 2-TE offense as their main offense. At least they should. Nelson Agholor shouldn't be keeping Goedert off the field. Maybe a Gronk-Hernandez type arrangement?
That's a possibility but a long shot. At this point I would be surprised if Goedert gets more that 70 targets the next 2 years. 

Maybe not. Its entirely possible the Eagles see how good he is, and run a 2-TE offense as their main offense. At least they should. Nelson Agholor shouldn't be keeping Goedert off the field. Maybe a Gronk-Hernandez type arrangement?
maybe, if Reich was still there this would definitely be doable. The good news is that Wentz loves his TEs and seems to prefer to throwing to them over guys like Alshon if memory serves me

Are you going to rush in here every week of the season and say how much of a shame it is that the Eagles drafted Goedert?
Honestly I'll try hard not to. Thanks for the reality check. I really do feel bad for Goedert though. 

Ertz is gone next year. There's no reason to pay him close to $8 million if Dallas Goedert is just as good if not better. (which I think he is also).

I think that is the reason why they drafted Goedert last year. So Goedert could take a few years to learn the system and then just let Ertz go when his salary increases.

Ertz is gone next year. There's no reason to pay him close to $8 million if Dallas Goedert is just as good if not better. (which I think he is also).

I think that is the reason why they drafted Goedert last year. So Goedert could take a few years to learn the system and then just let Ertz go when his salary increases.
He is better than Ertz but Ertz isn't going anywhere. 

Honestly I'll try hard not to. Thanks for the reality check. I really do feel bad for Goedert though. 
I think the guy is pretty happy.  He's in a good system, on a good team, learning from one of the best.  It's easy to say "of if he was on X team he'd be X good".  He might get more targets elsewhere, but he might have developed slower and been on an offense with less redzone opportunities.  From everything we've heard from this guy, he loves playing in Philly.

It's costing him $0 on his rookie contract being here vs elsewhere.  And for his next deal, NFL GM's look at talent.  He will put up similar numbers that Burton did behind Ertz, and Burton left and got a massive contract elsewhere.  If you feel sorry that this guys next contract might make him the 5th highest paid TE vs the 3rd highest paid TE, that's ridiculous.  You're really obsessed with this agenda that the guy has been dealt some awful hand by who drafted him.  Goedert is doing just fine for himself.

I think the guy is pretty happy.  He's in a good system, on a good team, learning from one of the best.  It's easy to say "of if he was on X team he'd be X good".  He might get more targets elsewhere, but he might have developed slower and been on an offense with less redzone opportunities.  From everything we've heard from this guy, he loves playing in Philly.

It's costing him $0 on his rookie contract being here vs elsewhere.  And for his next deal, NFL GM's look at talent.  He will put up similar numbers that Burton did behind Ertz, and Burton left and got a massive contract elsewhere.  If you feel sorry that this guys next contract might make him the 5th highest paid TE vs the 3rd highest paid TE, that's ridiculous.  You're really obsessed with this agenda that the guy has been dealt some awful hand by who drafted him.  Goedert is doing just fine for himself.

Yeah we'll have to see. I just think 70 targets a year is a waste of his talent. There's already rumblings that he's better than Ertz. He has to be playing out of his mind in TC for that to even be mentioned. I had him as a top 3 prospect (FF rookies) last year before the draft. Very Gronk like imo. I'm not going to post much about it in here though so no worries. There isn't much more to say about it anyway. He just looked really good last night. 

Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

I don't know how much the #Eagles will run 12 personnel given all of their weapons, but Dallas Goedert is growing up.

Wesley Woodyard and the Titans safeties could not keep him covered last night. He is mismatch.

Will be monitoring this when we get to see him and Ertz together.

Eagles TE Dallas Goedert (calf) is week to week.

Goedert's calf injury isn't a long-term concern, but the Eagles don't want to risk a setback. He'll likely miss at least one preseason game. Goedert's Week 1 status isn't in doubt.

SOURCE: Tim McManus on Twitter

Aug 10, 2019, 11:05 AM ET

Faust said:
Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

I don't know how much the #Eagles will run 12 personnel given all of their weapons, but Dallas Goedert is growing up.

Wesley Woodyard and the Titans safeties could not keep him covered last night. He is mismatch.

Will be monitoring this when we get to see him and Ertz together.
The safeties either. He did real well, impressed

Dallas Goedert left Week 2 against the Falcons with a calf injury and is questionable to return.

It sounds like this may be related to the calf issues Goedert had in training camp. Goedert's injury leaves the Eagles without any tight ends behind Zach Ertz.

Sep 15, 2019, 9:08 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread