What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dallas Goedert, PHI (4 Viewers)

Goedert is solid, but there’s a pretty remarkable amount of hype in here for an oldish low level D1 prospect drafted in the mid 2nd of the NFL draft that’s likely 2-3 years away from the opportunity to start.  He flashes some nice traits and the potential is there, but I don’t see him as an elite producing lock once that opportunity presents itself.  Don’t get me wrong, the TE pool gets thin real quick so he’s a nice long term hold with upside, but he doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Howard, Henry, Hockenson, or Fant.

Goedert is solid, but there’s a pretty remarkable amount of hype in here for an oldish low level D1 prospect drafted in the mid 2nd of the NFL draft that’s likely 2-3 years away from the opportunity to start.  He flashes some nice traits and the potential is there, but I don’t see him as an elite producing lock once that opportunity presents itself.  Don’t get me wrong, the TE pool gets thin real quick so he’s a nice long term hold with upside, but he doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Howard, Henry, Hockenson, or Fant.
This is the type of guy you hold if you have a weak dyno team in hopes something pushes him to receive more targets. I think the talent is there. I would put Howard ahead of him but he would be in the mix (talent wise) against the others you mentioned. Situation obviously not as nice right now. 

I don't post a lot, but I'm always reading and aside from Menobrown you're probably the poster I find myself agreeing with more than anyone else.  Think you should look closer, he just pops off the page at the prospect stage to me more than any TE in quite some time.  Truly see some Gronk-like ability, minus some blocking and plus some athleticism.  The situation being what it is, figure by the end of his rookie contract he'll be ready to ascend to a dynasty roster anchor.  Planting my flag (which I don't do very often) on him albeit 2-3 years from now.

I'd trade him straight up for Hock or OJ right now, probably Engram too whom I forgot about in my above post.  Fant or Henry would give me some serious pause.  Think he's a far better prospect than Fant, who day by day I'm thinking a gulf exists between he and Hock.  Henry would be a tough one and would be team specific.  If I needed the immediate production I'd obviously favor Henry, but with the benefit of time, think Goedert ends up with the highest peak.  

Deamon said:
:shrug:

He's the only talented backup TE we've had that's become a free agent and left in recent memory?  I'd say he'd be more the rule than the exception.  If in 4 years he's as good as you say he is, and even puts up numbers Burton did behind Zach, I'd say someone will pay him very well.
Even if that is true he would have put up better numbers and likely got a bigger contract if he was playing for the Cowboys. I don't see how anybody can deny that that believes in his talent. Even after the Cowboys picked up Cooper he would have been second in targets. Cowboys targeted their TE only 92 times but didn't have the talent Goedert is at the position. Easily see him commanding 65+ targets there his rookie season and finishing strong the second half.

How much more is he worth if he's coming off a 70 target season with 55-550-6 being the clear number #2 option on Dallas?

For me in dynasty he'd be the 3rd ranked TE in dynasty behind Kittle and Kelce.....an elite prospect. Instead his furture is murky at best and he's view as a top 15 TE.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if that is true he would have put up better numbers and likely got a bigger contract if he was playing for the Cowboys. I don't see how anybody can deny that that believes in his talent. Even after the Cowboys picked up Cooper he would have been second in targets. Cowboys targeted their TE only 92 times but didn't have the talent Goedert is at the position. Easily see him commanding 65+ targets there his rookie season and finishing strong the second half.

How much more is he worth if he's coming off a 70 target season with 55-550-6 being the clear number #2 option on Dallas?

For me in dynasty he'd be the 3rd ranked TE in dynasty behind Kittle and Kelce.....an elite prospect. Instead his furture is murky at best and he's view as a top 15 TE.......
Never said he wouldn't have put up better numbers in Dallas. He probably would have. That doesn't mean he's ruined his career or he won't get a big contract. That's such a dramatic exaggeration. 

If Burton can be seen as a top 10 tight end behind ertz, then so can he. 

Never said he wouldn't have put up better numbers in Dallas. He probably would have. That doesn't mean he's ruined his career or he won't get a big contract. That's such a dramatic exaggeration. 

Everyone's ignoring the fact that the Cowboys had zero interest* in drafting Goedert. So who knows where he would have ended up if the Eagles hadn't drafted him.

*as told to us by Cowboys fans.

Ruined might be a slight exaggeration but it significantly hurt his career basically getting red shirted for the first 3-5 years. 3-5 years is an eternity in the NFL. If he puts the up hypothetical season I posted he's the hottest young TE not named Kittle in the NFL. The fact you are mentioning top 10 as his ceiling value if Ertz doesn't get hurt only proves my point. Anyway it happened and he's on the Eagles now and for the foreseeable future. We, myself included, have factor that into his valuation now. 

dhockster said:
One thing to think about when looking at last year's performance. Goedart played 18 games including playoffs. Wentz played in 11. All of Goedart's TD's and his 3 best receiving days came with Wentz as his QB. I think Wentz likes Goedart a lot and won't be afraid to feed him the ball if he has a favorable matchup.

Ertz had 116 catches and Goedart 33 last year. I see that being more like 80 Ertz and 60 Goedart this year.
This is the key. No matter how good Ertz is...this figure is unsustainable. Goedert will see more targets this year, perhaps even a lot more.

I think Ertz remains a TE1, but that Goedert slides into that 12-16 range as a solid TE2 for fantasy. SOmewhere around 45-55 catches.

This is the key. No matter how good Ertz is...this figure is unsustainable. Goedert will see more targets this year, perhaps even a lot more.

I think Ertz remains a TE1, but that Goedert slides into that 12-16 range as a solid TE2 for fantasy. SOmewhere around 45-55 catches.
In standard scoring, I think he may sneak into the top 10. 500 yds & 5-6 TDs could get him there.

In standard scoring, I think he may sneak into the top 10. 500 yds & 5-6 TDs could get him there.
His upside drafting him is so big too because he's top 5 with an Ertz injury.  I think he'll be drafted around TE10 for this fact alone.  He's a guy that can win you a league with an Ertz injury, and could be serviceable without.  Ertz owners should overdraft him.

His upside drafting him is so big too because he's top 5 with an Ertz injury.  I think he'll be drafted around TE10 for this fact alone.  He's a guy that can win you a league with an Ertz injury, and could be serviceable without.  Ertz owners should overdraft him.
I'd go as far to say that if Ertz gets hurt, Goedert is arguably the TE1. He's much more explosive after the catch than Ertz is, and would possibly see a larger target share than Ertz would, because there is not another guy behind him. 

I'm really all in on Goedert. I thought he was every bit the prospect that Hockenson was this year, just fell for whatever reason. I think its entirely possible if Ertz suffers a significant injury, he's not a lock to get his starting job back. 

Ertz reception total was an outlier, no doubt, but Wentz seemed to lock onto him, Alshon being healthy early in the season (maybe) could result in lost opportunity as well.

I'd go as far to say that if Ertz gets hurt, Goedert is arguably the TE1. He's much more explosive after the catch than Ertz is, and would possibly see a larger target share than Ertz would, because there is not another guy behind him. 

I'm really all in on Goedert. I thought he was every bit the prospect that Hockenson was this year, just fell for whatever reason. I think its entirely possible if Ertz suffers a significant injury, he's not a lock to get his starting job back. 
Look I love the guy's talent too but I think this is a bit of a stretch.  I see him as TE5 without Ertz and TE12 with Ertz.

Brandon Lee Gowton

Verified account

@BrandonGowton
Follow Follow @BrandonGowton
More
Mike Groh refers to Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert both as starting tight ends. #Eagles #12personnel

8:10 AM - 28 May 2019

He finished last year TE20, yet FBG has him ranked as TE22 this year.  Seems unlikely he takes a step back this year.

Doug Pederson Picks 6 Eagles Who Have Stood Out in OTAs

Excerpt:

Dallas Goedert, TE, Year 2

The second-year tight end had a good rookie season, catching 33 passes for 334 yards and four touchdowns, and might be in line for an even bigger role in 2019. Pederson has talked this offseason about using more 12 personnel, which means having Zach Ertz and Goedert on the field together. They actually used it more than most teams last year, but will likely do it again in 2019. With the growth of Goedert, they'd be crazy not to. 

"Dallas Goedert has really improved on where he left off at the end of last year on offense," Pederson said. 

The thing that continues to impress me about Goedert, 24, is how he uses that big body and how well he controls it. He is an absolute matchup disaster.  

~35 catches, 300-400 yards, 4-5 TD's - yea, I think that's pretty close to what I would expect.  Redraft leagues especially he's a huge stretch.
He finished with 33 receptions, 334 yds and 4 TD's :)   

I'd expect this to improve this year, but still we aren't looking at #1 TE numbers.  500-600 yds maybe?  Probably closer to 500.  5 TD's or so prob still the expectation.  I imagine he'll me more involved, but still only so many balls to go around.

He finished with 33 receptions, 334 yds and 4 TD's :)   

I'd expect this to improve this year, but still we aren't looking at #1 TE numbers.  500-600 yds maybe?  Probably closer to 500.  5 TD's or so prob still the expectation.  I imagine he'll me more involved, but still only so many balls to go around.
Agree here.  I could see him getting another catch per game too, so finishing around 45 for 500 and 6.  Those numbers would put him as TE10 last year.  And all of this is assuming a healthy Ertz.  I think his TE22 ranking is WAY too low.

Has anyone done or seen any trades involving him in PPR dynasty? Not sure if I should try to trade him or hold.
Why would you trade him? I doubt you'll get anywhere near value for him, considering what he could become (in a weak TE market).

I've heard people on podcasts say go trade for Goedert, he's cheap. I can't imagine anyone who owns him would sell him for a random 2nd rounder or something similar.

He does seem too low in dynasty rankings though - I've consistently seen him below Njoku and Ebron, which I think is ridiculous. I'm bullish but I'd probably have him in the 6-7 range, ahead of guys like Hunter Henry and Hockensen. I'd put him slightly ahead of Fant (who I'd also have higher than those guys) and just below Engram. 

Eagles TEs coach Justin Peelle called sophomore Dallas Goedert's development "phenomenal."

The comment matches beat writer reports coming out of offseason practices. Despite looking great as a rookie, Goedert appears to have taken a step forward entering his second season and could force the Eagles to get him more involved behind Zach Ertz. Unfortunately, it is unlikely he sees enough targets to be a consistent fantasy contributor as long as Ertz is ahead of him.

SOURCE: Mike Kaye on Twitter

Jun 10, 2019, 11:21 AM ET

I agree. I'm just whining a little. Lol
I understand your point. This guy seems like a top three talent and unfortunately is trapped right now. I think we will see many more “flashes” from him this year and he could still produce like a top 10 TE this season. Honestly it would not shock me if scored close to 10 times. And who knows....things change fast...maybe an injury....or heck...maybe they trade Ertz next offseason. Dallas will get his chance at some point...just a matter of when.

Philadelphia Eagles minicamp observations: Malcolm Jenkins returns, Dallas Goedert scores, Marken Michel impresses and more

Excerpt:

The Philadelphia Eagles squared off close to the end zone in a red zone drill on the first day of the team’s mandatory minicamp, and quarterback Carson Wentz found tight end Dallas Goedert in the back-right corner of the end zone for a score. Then, he hit a diving JJ Arcega-Whiteside for another touchdown.

The results were the same for backup Nate Sudfeld, who hit Goedert again and running back Donnel Pumphrey out of the backfield for touchdowns.
Goedert is unstoppable. He scores at will.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Dallas Goedert looked "capable of making a second-year leap into stardom" during the Eagles' offseason program.

It's just Goedert's latest bit of praise this offseason. Zach Ertz is a massive roadblock on the way to fantasy relevance, but coach Doug Pederson has hinted he could feature more two-TE sets. It's quite possible Goedert will be on the streaming radar for matchups with defenses that are leaky down the seam.

SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Jun 13, 2019, 6:18 PM ET

Lot of posters in this thread going to be disappointed this year. His time will come some day though......

Lot of posters in this thread going to be disappointed this year. His time will come some day though......
The Eagles offense works best when they spread the ball around. Look at the 2017 super bowl:

• Blount 14 rushes 90 yards
  • Ajayi 9 rushes 57 yards
  • Agholor 9 catches 84 yards
  • Clement 4 catches 100 yards
  • Jeffrey 3 catches 73 yards
  • Ertz 7 catches 67 yards
  • Smith 5 catches 49 yards
Last year Blount left, Ajayi got hurt, Clement got hurt or was ineffective, so the running game deficiencies really hurt the passing game. Given that Wallace was hurt the whole season, and Jeffery was out at the beginning of the season, that further hurt the offense. 

Assuming reasonable health this year, a better running game with Howard and Sanders, a deep threat with Jackson, the Eagles should be able to spread the ball around again. I think Goedart will get a lot of opportunities this year. Will he be a top 5 TE? Probably not. But I think he has a good shot to be top 15 even with Ertz in front of him.

Assuming reasonable health this year, a better running game with Howard and Sanders, a deep threat with Jackson, the Eagles should be able to spread the ball around again. I think Goedart will get a lot of opportunities this year. Will he be a top 5 TE? Probably not. But I think he has a good shot to be top 15 even with Ertz in front of him.
I agree with the bolded. He was a low TE2 last year. I think in his second year, he can put up 40/450/6. Good for a high TE2 with low TE1 upside. 

To start TC word is Dallas Goedert has been on the field a ton in 2 TE sets. Just something to monitor.......

I'm still pissed Philly leapfrogged Dallas to draft him last year. I swear it was just out of spite and knowing he was the right fit for their division rivals. Now the guy is going to waste the next 2-3 years in the league playing behind a stud TE unless there is an injury. Just a shame.

I'm still pissed Philly leapfrogged Dallas to draft him last year. I swear it was just out of spite and knowing he was the right fit for their division rivals. Now the guy is going to waste the next 2-3 years in the league playing behind a stud TE unless there is an injury. Just a shame.
Not "behind", next to.

Interesting fresh take.

Pretty quick turnaround on this. What made you change your mind? 
No I still think people will be disappointed  so not really changing my stance. His upside is capped with Ertz there but with what I'm hearing he could be on the field more than last year and Philly views him as their best redzone option. 

No I still think people will be disappointed  so not really changing my stance. His upside is capped with Ertz there but with what I'm hearing he could be on the field more than last year and Philly views him as their best redzone option. 

How could owners who knew he was drafted onto a team with Ertz be disappointed with a low-end TE1 season so early?  

How could owners who knew he was drafted onto a team with Ertz be disappointed with a low-end TE1 season so early?  
When I made that comment guys were getting really excited about Goedert. I can't blame them he's a great prospect. He's just not likely to crack the top 10 without Ertz getting hurt. So the way they were talking about him they are setting themselves up for disappointment. 

From today's training camp notes:

The Eagles continue to heavily utilize 12 personnel during practice. The first rep of 11-on-11 was a Wentz completion to Goedert. The first rep of the second 11-on-11 set was ... another Wentz completion to Goedert. Goedert has already been getting a lot of targets. He’s really good. His one-handed catch along the sideline was a reminder of that fact.

When I made that comment guys were getting really excited about Goedert. I can't blame them he's a great prospect. He's just not likely to crack the top 10 without Ertz getting hurt. So the way they were talking about him they are setting themselves up for disappointment. 

I don't think anyone was talking him up as top 5.  I think the excitement was that he'd be used more in the offense and could be around TE10 with top 3 TE upside if Ertz misses time.

I don't think anyone was talking him up as top 5.  I think the excitement was that he'd be used more in the offense and could be around TE10 with top 3 TE upside if Ertz misses time.
You may be right 

I’m not going to try to use the horrible search function here, but it seems to me a lot of posters were saying the exact thing about him last August 

Users who are viewing this thread