What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (1 Viewer)

Well don't tell anyone but I hope you are successful in selling Chase high later on down the road as you mentioned doing before.

Logical inconsistencies might help you get a better price. 🙂
I just talked myself into acquiring him, really. 

I was angling go get him in the offseason, but that was before Conner went to AZ. 

I’ve since come back to him with fresh eyes, and his PPR value should make him worthy of a weekly flex play.

I still don’t love him. I don’t think he’ll have many TDs unless he hits some home runs. 

But if the AZ offense is clicking I believe he’ll have a nice season. Whether that happens is still a bit of a concern for me. I’m not convinced they’re a great offense despite having some elite weapons. 

I hope I’m wrong and he gets some RZ looks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just talked myself into acquiring him, really. 

I was angling go get him in the offseason, but that was before Conner went to AZ. 

move since come back to him with fresh eyes, and his PPR value should make him worthy of a weekly flex play.

I still don’t love him. I don’t think he’ll have many TDs unless he hits some home runs. 

But if the AZ offense is clicking I believe he’ll have a nice season. Whether that happens is still a bit of a concern for me. I’m not convinced they’re a great offense despite having some elite weapons. 

I hope I’m wrong and he gets some RZ looks. 
There is a lot to like about having any pieces of this offense I think.

I consider Edmonds a sell though and it should only take one or two good games for you to manage doing that. Hopefully he does well early on and you get that opportunity.

There is a lot to like about having any pieces of this offense I think.

I consider Edmonds a sell though and it should only take one or two good games for you to manage doing that. Hopefully he does well early on and you get that opportunity.
That’s my hope. I feel like I bought fairly low with Samuel + a 2nd. 

If Edmonds can put up a couple 15-20 point games early I’ll happily flip him. He’s my 3rd RB, so definitely movable. 

Pro Football Network's Adam Beasley reports Chase Edmonds is "the favorite to be the team’s featured back."

A lot can change before Week 1 but Beasley even added that the training camp competition between Edmonds and James Conner may be a "battle in name only." If Edmonds continues to get hype as the clear favorite over Conner, his fantasy stock is going to soar throughout the summer. The 25-year-old runner has yet to hit 100 carries in an NFL season but has consistently been a threat in the passing game. Last year, Edmonds racked up 402 yards and four scores on 53 catches while splitting work with Kenyan Drake. A high rushing floor could vault Edmonds to RB1 status. Currently going as the 28th running back in best ball drafts, Edmonds is likely being drafted closer to his floor than his ceiling. 

RELATED: 

James Conner

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Jul 7, 2021, 6:38 PM ET

Music to my ears. :wub:  

I’m still skeptical that they brought in Conner just for breather back duties but ya love to hear the cards actually talking about featuring him. 
Same, although I think they could use both together at times. They did that a bit last year with Drake and Edmonds. I do think there is a 100% chance Conner is the RB on the field inside the 5, so Edmonds is almost a lock to be under 10 TDs, so RB1 upside probably isn't really attainable. However, Edmonds is very much a guy I'd like as an RB3, with solid RB2 upside. I'm expecting something more like a 55-45 split, that said, I could really see Edmonds finishing 2nd on the team in receiving, especially if Rondale Moore doesn't pop right away. 

This is probably a really good backfield to handcuff, and its not super expensive to do so.

However, Edmonds is very much guy I'd like as an RB3, with solid RB2 upside.

Exactly what he is on my team now. CEH/Carson ~> Chase

if Edmonds cracks 130 carries with anything north of 60 receptions, maybe 6-9 TDs, I’d think a top 12 finish in PPR is possible. 

I could see a couple cheap receiving TDs in the red zone, but I agree he’s not likely to be their short yardage back. And health-wise that’s probably for the best. 

As far as updates go, this is probably the best imaginable for Edmonds shareholders. 

And I’m still not sure I wouldn’t sell high mid-season if he somehow comes out of the gate gangbusters with a couple long TDs or something. 

However, Edmonds is very much guy I'd like as an RB3, with solid RB2 upside.

Exactly what he is on my team now. CEH/Carson ~> Chase

if Edmonds cracks 130 carries with anything north of 60 receptions, maybe 6-9 TDs, I’d think a top 12 finish in PPR is possible. 

I could see a couple cheap receiving TDs in the red zone, but I agree he’s not likely to be their short yardage back. And health-wise that’s probably for the best. 

As far as updates go, this is probably the best imaginable for Edmonds shareholders. 

And I’m still not sure I wouldn’t sell high mid-season if he somehow comes out of the gate gangbusters with a couple long TDs or something. 
I’m not paying attention to redraft ADP yet (& won’t for 5-6 weeks) but in terms ECR the conversation isn’t CEH (14-15) v Carson (17-18) v Edmonds (26) - it’s Chase v Gaskin v Hunt.

Chase has one career GL carry inside the 5. He’s literally never had a GL carry TD. Drake 21 carries inside the 5. I doubt Conner will see all of the GL carries, but even if he does, even if you presume Edmonds has 0 TDs in 2021, he still has high end RB2/low end RB1 potential. His volume in the passing game and his efficiency in rushing/receiving really stands out amongst the RBs going in a similar draft range. BTW, he has 12 TDs in 3 years, the odds are super low (IMO) he won’t get at least 6 TDs. I was using the extreme example to make the point he has a good chance at 1200 YFS & 65 receptions, so any TDs he gets just pushes him further up. I think he’s a great value where he is going. Connor got backup money on the open market which I think tells you all we need to know. He’s JAG with a role, no threat to change how Edmonds was and will be used. He’ll have the Drake role - or something less. 

With Gaskin, it feels like he can be replaced at any time. It wouldn’t be shocking if the guy who leads them in carries isn’t currently on the roster.

IDK about Hunt. He gets points, with or without Chubb playing. His PPR went down last year. His usage barely fluctuated in the 4 games Chubb missed.

In that range I def prefer the little guy from Fordham. I like players who should be good without constructing a bunch of “if than” scenarios which may or may not happen. In the worst case (unlikely), where Chase gets no GL carries and has a very low TD total, he’s still a good value in half or full PPR.

I’m not paying attention to redraft ADP yet (& won’t for 5-6 weeks) but in terms ECR the conversation isn’t CEH (14-15) v Carson (17-18) v Edmonds (26) - it’s Chase v Gaskin v Hunt.
I completely agree with this. Sorry if I was unclear, in my dynasty league I traded for Chase Edmonds who is now my third running back behind those other two.

I was just  agreeing with the other poster it’s an ideal fit as an RB3/flex,  as opposed to a RB2.

Chase has one career GL carry inside the 5. He’s literally never had a GL carry TD. Drake 21 carries inside the 5. I doubt Conner will see all of the GL carries, but even if he does, even if you presume Edmonds has 0 TDs in 2021, he still has high end RB2/low end RB1 potential. His volume in the passing game and his efficiency in rushing/receiving really stands out amongst the RBs going in a similar draft range. BTW, he has 12 TDs in 3 years, the odds are super low (IMO) he won’t get at least 6 TDs. I was using the extreme example to make the point he has a good chance at 1200 YFS & 65 receptions, so any TDs he gets just pushes him further up. I think he’s a great value where he is going. Connor got backup money on the open market which I think tells you all we need to know. He’s JAG with a role, no threat to change how Edmonds was and will be used. He’ll have the Drake role - or something less. 

With Gaskin, it feels like he can be replaced at any time. It wouldn’t be shocking if the guy who leads them in carries isn’t currently on the roster.

IDK about Hunt. He gets points, with or without Chubb playing. His PPR went down last year. His usage barely fluctuated in the 4 games Chubb missed.

In that range I def prefer the little guy from Fordham. I like players who should be good without constructing a bunch of “if than” scenarios which may or may not happen. In the worst case (unlikely), where Chase gets no GL carries and has a very low TD total, he’s still a good value in half or full PPR.
Agree on all counts. I think his one touchdown last year was a little bit fluky. I would expect to see a minimum of 4, especially since that offense should be maturing a little bit and becoming more efficient. 

as I said previously, I don’t expect to see him banging short yardage, and that’s probably a good thing for his longevity.

Speaking Tuesday, Cardinals RB Chase Edmonds said he had both bulked up and slimmed down this offseason. 

Stay with us on this one. Per Edmonds, he added five pounds of muscle. Also per Edmonds, he has "trimmed down and likes where he’s at." It appears he is playing at 205 pounds, five below his listed weight. Edmonds has been vocal about his desire to be the Cardinals' lead back, but ex-Steeler James Conner looms as an obstacle in every phase of the game. Not a daunting one, but an obstacle nonetheless. Coming off the board in the high-end FLEX range of RB24-30, Edmonds offers the upside for more. 

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter 

Jul 27, 2021, 2:47 PM ET

Big year for Edmonds. I'm not saying it's now-or-never, but he's been flirting with relevance for several years and this might be his last chance to cement himself as "the guy" for a team.

His ADP seems to be around RB25 in redraft, and I think he's solid value there. If it works out, you get a top 15 RB for a RB3 price. If it goes south, he's probably still a worthwhile bye week fill in for your starters. Low risk with a pretty good ceiling.

I’m on the other side of the argument now. Go Chase! :pickle:  
I hope that most of us are not trying to win an argument as much as searching for the "truth."  Defending your belief is 100% expected, but one shouldn't change their belief just because now they are the owner.  That being said, changing/modifying your belief based on hearing/reading good info from other posters IS what this should be about and it is possible that is what changed your opinion...some.

FWIW, I drafted Chase Edmonds in the 1st round (11th pick) of a 10 man keeper league (semi-dynasty).So it is kind of 11th round pick.  In our drafts the top rookies tend to go 1st and then you get a few players that were not kept that should have been.  Chase was dropped and the player kept Sony Michel and Henderson.  I would not have done this, but that is why fantasy is fun.

I hope that most of us are not trying to win an argument as much as searching for the "truth."  Defending your belief is 100% expected, but one shouldn't change their belief just because now they are the owner.  That being said, changing/modifying your belief based on hearing/reading good info from other posters IS what this should be about and it is possible that is what changed your opinion...some.

“debate” would have been a better choice of words, but I was attempting humor with that post. I would have thought the dancing pickle made that apparent?

also, yes - speaking with others here helped to open my eyes to Chase being a value, and I went and traded for him as a result. 

FWIW, I drafted Chase Edmonds in the 1st round (11th pick) of a 10 man keeper league (semi-dynasty).So it is kind of 11th round pick.  In our drafts the top rookies tend to go 1st and then you get a few players that were not kept that should have been.  Chase was dropped and the player kept Sony Michel and Henderson.  I would not have done this, but that is why fantasy is fun.
wow. I can’t believe he kept Sony over Chase. Henderson is pretty close in valuation, IMO. 

How are folks feeling about Chase after game 1?  His day was buoyed by a "garbage time" 36-yard run-and-catch before the half.  That said, the game was such a laugher there wasn't much need for his use in the passing game.

How are folks feeling about Chase after game 1?  His day was buoyed by a "garbage time" 36-yard run-and-catch before the half.  That said, the game was such a laugher there wasn't much need for his use in the passing game.
Liked the usage pre-garbage time.  Also liked that Conner really didn’t look great.

Chase Edmonds rushed 12 times for 120 yards in the Cardinals' Week 4 win over the Rams, adding four receptions for 19 additional yards. 

Edmonds took advantage of closeout mode to post the second most rushing yards of his career and third most yards from scrimmage. The biggest play was Edmonds' 54-yard scamper on a 3rd-and-7 from the Cardinals' own four-yard line with 10:35 remaining. Edmonds continued to look like the Cardinals' most dangerous back, but James Conner remained the preferred option in the red zone, cashing in a pair of one-yard carries for touchdowns. Conner has enough playmaking ability to provide weekly RB2 returns on 12-15 touches, but his ceiling will be capped as long as Conner gets to keep extending the ball beyond the plane. The Cardinals are hosting the 49ers for Week 5.

This seems underreported thus far this week.  Maybe its nothing.  Edmonds will have 2 DNPs to start the week.

Darren Urban

⁦‪@Cardschatter⁩

In the open part of #AZCardinals practice, good news -- most everyone who missed practice Wednesday was out there today.

Absent were CB Byron Murphy and OL Justin Murray. RB Chase Edmonds working on side.

10/7/21, 10:32 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Chase Edmonds (shoulder) is expected to play in Week 5 against the 49ers. 

Edmonds didn't practice all week while nursing the shoulder issue. The shifty runner has averaged 5.5 targets and 10.8 carries per game this year. His only shortcoming is a lack of goal-line work, which goes to James Conner. Despite the lack of scoring opportunities, Edmonds' role as a pass-catcher makes him a solid RB2 option versus the 49ers. Conner is nothing more than a touchdown-or-bust RB3, even after finding the end zone twice in consecutive weeks. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 10, 2021, 8:46 AM ET

Chase Edmonds (shoulder) is active for Week 5 against the 49ers. 

Edmonds is suiting up without getting in a single practice rep, which has grown increasingly uncommon in recent years. Nevertheless, the Cardinals projected weekend optimism about his status, and he can remain on the RB2/3 borderline for what we are hoping is a high-scoring affair with the 49ers. Inactive for the Cardinals are CB Byron Murphy, QB Chris Streveler, CB Marco Wilson, CB Tay Gowan, LB Victor Dimukeje and DL Michael Dogbe. 

Oct 10, 2021, 2:56 PM ET

Chase Edmonds rushed six times for 15 yards in the Cardinals' Week 5 win over the 49ers, adding three receptions for 19 additional yards. 

Gutting through a shoulder issue, Edmonds also lost a fumble, putting the ball on the ground with the game still well in doubt in the fourth quarter. Edmonds was inches from the ground when the rock got knocked out in a pile. As usual, Edmonds ceded goal-line work to James Conner, but Conner was limited to 11 total touches. There wasn't as much Cardinals play volume as usual today with the 49ers' defense making life difficult. Provided Edmonds avoided setbacks with his shoulder, he should bounce-back as an upside RB2 for Week 6 against a Browns defense that just got lit up by the Chargers. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Chase Edmonds rushed seven times for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 8 loss to the Packers, adding three receptions for 39 additional yards. 

Edmonds took a direct snap from the Packers' 11-yard line in the first quarter and finally reached the end zone for his first score of 2021. Naturally, James Conner vultured two more touchdowns on only five touches, but Edmonds once again comfortably bested his veteran backfield mate in yardage. There was a scary moment midway through the second half where Edmonds landed hard on his right side after a reception, but he thankfully shook it off quickly and was back in a few plays later. Conner makes for moments of weekly frustration, but Edmonds is mostly reaching home as a PPR RB2. The 49ers are on deck for Week 9. 

Oct 29, 2021, 12:03 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chase Edmonds suffered a high ankle sprain in Week 9 against the 49ers and could be headed to short-term IR. 

Edmonds didn't return to Arizona's Week 9 drubbing of the 49ers after exiting with the ankle injury in the first quarter. It appears to be an injury that will keep Edmonds sidelined for at least a few weeks and turn James Conner into a workhorse and potential league winner. Conner in Week 9 had 21 carries for 96 yards and five receptions for 77 yards, totaling three touchdowns in a dominant performance. He should absorb most, if not all, of Edmonds' passing down work over the next few weeks. Conner goes from a touchdown-reliant RB2 to a weekly RB1 for as long as Edmonds is sidelined. Eno Benjamin, after seeing nine carries for 39 yards and a score against the Niners, should be added this week by RB-needy fantasy managers. 

RELATED: 

James Conner

, Eno Benjamin

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 8, 2021, 10:02 AM ET

Either perhaps he's just really not that good, or maybe he's the type that takes 3-4 years to figure it out.  Maybe isn't a good route runner, maybe he and Carr just don't have chemistry ala Baker/OBJ.  Whichever, it doesn't seem to be happening for him this year.  He has a lot of things going for him other WRs don't - good team, good QB, opportunities, so you can't blame that.

Maybe next year.
I think you are confusing one underperforming player for another.  Edmonds is a RB getting vultured by James Connor.  

Not sure who you are referring to, but sounds like he sucks too. 

Either perhaps he's just really not that good, or maybe he's the type that takes 3-4 years to figure it out.  Maybe isn't a good route runner, maybe he and

Carr

just don't have chemistry ala

Baker

/OBJ.  Whichever, it doesn't seem to be happening for him this year.  He has a lot of things going for him other WRs don't - good team, good QB, opportunities, so you can't blame that.

Maybe next year.
You might be looking for the Bryan Edwards thread.

Cardinals placed RB Chase Edmonds (ankle) on injured reserve. 

Edmonds was already ruled out for Week 10. He'll now miss the next three games before he's eligible to return. James Conner will start Sunday against the Panthers and is a top-10 running back play, while Eno Benjamin should also see some pass-down snaps. With Arizona on bye in Week 12, Edmonds won't return until Week 14 at the earliest.

Nov 13, 2021, 1:34 PM ET

Well between byes, injuries and the like I have needs and am taking a chance that Murray and Edmunds out means they run the ball like hell or short passes to RBs.  I have Conner and added Benjamin.  Starting both. 

I am reading week 14 return at the earliest, based on when he was placed on IR, and the week 12 bye.

The Cardinals put their starting running back on injured reserve Saturday, meaning they can start the clock on his ability to return from IR with Sunday's game against the Panthers. A player must sit out at least three games before being able to return from IR. In Edmonds' case, that would span the bye -- meaning the first game for which he would be eligible to return would be the Monday night home game against the Rams Dec. 13.

He was just dropped by a team that needs his roster spot.  I may be able to afford to stash him (only 7 bench spots with no IR), but would have to drop Zack Moss.  I need to win probably 2 out of the next 5 games to secure a playoff spot, which is the only thing that's making me pause.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Chase Edmonds (ankle, IR) won't return until Week 14 against the Rams. 

The Cardinals play on Monday night in Week 14, giving Edmonds an extra day of rest before making his return. Edmonds has been sidelined since suffering the ankle injury in Week 9. In his absence, James Conner has turned into a workhorse back. Over his previous three games, Conner is averaging 22 touches for 112 yards from scrimmage. He also has five scores in that span. He'll remain a low-end RB1 until Edmonds is back in the lineup.

SOURCE: Bob McManaman on Twitter

Dec 1, 2021, 1:39 PM ET

How we feeling about this guy going forward? I have a chance to pick him up, but would most likely come at the expense of a guy like Jamaal Williams.

Eligible to come off IR next week doesn’t mean he’s playing next week. Would anyone have the stones to throw them in their lineup next week vs the Rams? Risk of him being “eased in” that game is high.

Another potential issue is his role. Connor has done nothing but further establish himself since Chase has been gone. He already wasn’t getting goal line, but will Chase now return to the wrong end of a timeshare, something like 70 Connor / 30 Chase?

All these concerns aside, he is still a very talented player in a good offense. And if Connor were to go down to an injury he would be a beast. So what say you? Are current owners not even considering him until week 15? And for non-owners looking to acquire, what level of back would you be willing to dump for him?

Johnny Utah #9 said:
How we feeling about this guy going forward? I have a chance to pick him up, but would most likely come at the expense of a guy like Jamaal Williams.

Eligible to come off IR next week doesn’t mean he’s playing next week. Would anyone have the stones to throw them in their lineup next week vs the Rams? Risk of him being “eased in” that game is high.

Another potential issue is his role. Connor has done nothing but further establish himself since Chase has been gone. He already wasn’t getting goal line, but will Chase now return to the wrong end of a timeshare, something like 70 Connor / 30 Chase?

All these concerns aside, he is still a very talented player in a good offense. And if Connor were to go down to an injury he would be a beast. So what say you? Are current owners not even considering him until week 15? And for non-owners looking to acquire, what level of back would you be willing to dump for him?
I think chase resumes his role in that offense.  There’s talk of swift being back next week so I wouldn’t have a problem letting Williams go - he’s the second rb on a horrible offense.

I think chase resumes his role in that offense.  There’s talk of swift being back next week so I wouldn’t have a problem letting Williams go - he’s the second rb on a horrible offense.
Beyond that rotoworld blurb I wonder if there has there been any indication that he’ll play next week. Could be a situation where they wait until the weekend to activate.

Conor has played well in his place, so I do wonder if he’ll be the more dominant side of the timeshare.

Johnny Utah #9 said:

Obviously his health is a question mark, we won't know how he is physically until he gets back out there and shows us, but I wouldn't worry about Conner any more than before. He's run for the same 3.8 ypc since Edmonds has been out (against mediocre run defenses), and while his receiving numbers have obviously increased, I see no reason why those wouldn't go back to Edmonds when he returns.

All depends on your roster and needs- Williams is a tough one IMO, obviously he's the better option now so if you need someone this week you should probably hold, but if you aren't starting him this week then you probably won't all year and I'd make the swap.

Obviously his health is a question mark, we won't know how he is physically until he gets back out there and shows us, but I wouldn't worry about Conner any more than before. He's run for the same 3.8 ypc since Edmonds has been out (against mediocre run defenses), and while his receiving numbers have obviously increased, I see no reason why those wouldn't go back to Edmonds when he returns.

All depends on your roster and needs- Williams is a tough one IMO, obviously he's the better option now so if you need someone this week you should probably hold, but if you aren't starting him this week then you probably won't all year and I'd make the swap.
Thanks for the insight. I wouldn’t be starting him this week, but needed him for next week. So it would basically be playing Chase in his first game back vs. Williams next week. Of course I’m making the assumption Swift is out next week as well, which is a total unknown at this point. Not an ideal situation for sure, but thank you for the insight. 

Cardinals designated RB Chase Edmonds to return from injured reserve.

The move officially opens Edmonds' 21-day practice window to be activated from injured reserve. Edmonds has not played since he sprained his ankle on the opening play against San Francisco in Week 9. Trending towards being available on Monday night, Edmonds would presumably be sprinkled back in alongside James Conner as a risky RB3/4 for PPR leagues in the former's first game back.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Dec 9, 2021, 11:10 AM ET

For Sunday games, teams have to announce on the Saturday before when a player is activated from IR (or IR-R).  Does anyone know if that timeframe shifts to Sunday for a Monday night game?

Can you see any reason to rush Edmonds back with Conner looking like a top 5 RB now?

Logically no, but some teams do stick rather doggedly with their two-RB rotation.  Denver comes to mind this week, with Gordon coming off an injury, Williams coming off a dominant performance, and Gordon taking the majority of work in an easily winnable game against Detroit.

Of course I'm not going to depend on Edmonds until I see the split return.

Can you see any reason to rush Edmonds back with Conner looking like a top 5 RB now?

I don't think anyone is advocating rushing the guy back.  The two back system worked well for AZ earlier and it will work well for the them later in the season.  Plus Connor has an injury history and key RB's are going down ofteny - so a split load has its benefits.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that injury to Connor on the last play of the game proves to be more serious than Kingsbury is letting on. Edmonds could be a league winner down the stretch if so. 

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said James Conner (ankle) will undergo an MRI.

Conner stayed down on the field for a prolonged period after injuring his ankle on the final play of Monday night's loss. Kingsbury added that he "probably has played Conner too many snaps in Chase Edmonds' absence." With the latter expected to be activated off injured reserve in Week 15, managers should expect Conner's bell-cow usage to discontinue even if healthy.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Implying that he's not a work horse and needs to be RBBC in some percentage.

Top 5 is a stretch. 
Well, with McCaffrey and Henry out, and Barkley and Elliott being nowhere near 100%, it might not be a huge stretch. He's definitely top ten as far as available and healthy backs go.  Taylor, Ekalar, Cook, Mixon, Kamura and Fournette are certainly ahead, but Conner may be next in line. 

Users who are viewing this thread