What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldn't. some may, and would have to consider, but team is built for Ben and Embiid for next 7 years or so. that foundation is hard to give up. and yes, you would think Spurs would be all over Ben for Kawhi. would certainly have to think about it, but i am very confident Ben will be shooting outside more this upcoming year, and if he gets a dependable jump shot his ceiling is higher than Kawhi
You wouldn't trade Ben Simmons for LeBron and Kawhi? (Basically what the above hypothetical asked)

Modogg forever!

You wouldn't trade Ben Simmons for LeBron and Kawhi? (Basically what the above hypothetical asked)

Modogg forever!
the LBJ piece is irrelevant. would i trade Simmons and having him for the next 8 or so years, when he hits his prime in the next 3 years? and for a 1 year rental of Kawhi with who knows how much he would want to play for the Sixers anyway. Yeah i'd stick with Simmons with that info.

if you are saying 3 dedicated years of LBJ and Kawhi, certainly would have to think about it. 

funny thing is, i heard a week or 2 ago that Kawhi and LBJ have never really talked and don't really know each other. who knows, but it is funny how much they have been tied together over the last week or so when a month ago they were not associated together

i wouldn't. some may, and would have to consider, but team is built for Ben and Embiid for next 7 years or so. that foundation is hard to give up. and yes, you would think Spurs would be all over Ben for Kawhi. would certainly have to think about it, but i am very confident Ben will be shooting outside more this upcoming year, and if he gets a dependable jump shot his ceiling is higher than Kawhi
Your fanboy is showing here. You do realize that Kawhi's ceiling is the best player in the league? How can Simmons have a ceiling higher than that? Plus things change so fast in the NBA that you can't say the team is built for Ben and Embiid for the next 7 years. Players get hurt or move to new teams, new players come into the league and become stars and make other players expendable.

Every fan of every team in the NBA right now is saying we want what the Patriots have, or what the Spurs had, or what LeBron has done going to the last 8 finals. All those teams had all time greats, not just hall of famers, but 2 guys that are in the conversation as the best ever in their sport (LeBron, and Brady) and another guy that is probably the best power forward ever and probably a top 10 all time player. Plus there is the luck factor, almost never getting hurt, hall of fame coach (not always for LeBron), plus just being that good for that long. This isn't a knock on Ben or Embiid or any of the guys in the NBA right now, but odds are they are going to be more like Wade, and Barkely and less like LeBron and Duncan.

Your fanboy is showing here. You do realize that Kawhi's ceiling is the best player in the league? How can Simmons have a ceiling higher than that? Plus things change so fast in the NBA that you can't say the team is built for Ben and Embiid for the next 7 years. Players get hurt or move to new teams, new players come into the league and become stars and make other players expendable.

Every fan of every team in the NBA right now is saying we want what the Patriots have, or what the Spurs had, or what LeBron has done going to the last 8 finals. All those teams had all time greats, not just hall of famers, but 2 guys that are in the conversation as the best ever in their sport (LeBron, and Brady) and another guy that is probably the best power forward ever and probably a top 10 all time player. Plus there is the luck factor, almost never getting hurt, hall of fame coach (not always for LeBron), plus just being that good for that long. This isn't a knock on Ben or Embiid or any of the guys in the NBA right now, but odds are they are going to be more like Wade, and Barkely and less like LeBron and Duncan.
ehh maybe. but let's look at the scenario for most of the year before the Kawhi updates. Sixers don't make that trade, and can still sign Lebron to the Sixers without really giving up anything. that is the best option i think. can discuss Kawhi trade later in summer or fall if they want. 

Was part of the whole idea of the process. building a solid team with optionality is more important then short-term gains and unreliable sustainability. Sixers do have an edge in that Kawhi went to the Sixers medical director for his injury, so they can probably make an educated call on the injury. but if this Kawhi to LA comes directly from him i would be hesitant to give up too much to rent for 1 year when you know his heart is into moving next year to LA

Last edited by a moderator:
Do people think Magic being the GM would make FAs and players want to join the Lakers? i don't know, but if that is the case i am surprised Charlotte doesn't have more pull with Jordan there. and if it has that pull, wondering why more teams wouldn't have famous players as front office. Larry Bird and MJ don't have that ability but Magic does? honestly am curious, and if that is the case Sixers should just fill vacancy with DR. J, A.I., or Charles all 3 hang enough with the team, though Charles has a sweet gig right now

Stinkin Ref said:
while Simmons didn't actually play in a game...he was part of the NBA experience that other true rookies didn't participate in.....Simmons got the benefit of being around film sessions, team meetings, practices, team huddles during games, locker rooms at halftime, breaking down matchups, in game adjustments, best seat in the house for every game, experiencing what its like to have to travel all year, etc.....the list goes on and on....IMO, its not just playing time that should determine whether you are a "rookie" or not....
I agree I like how the NFL does things. If you didn't play a game and out the year the next year you are a player in your 2nd year or Sophomore season. Not fair to the guys who are rookies in your second year may not have a chance at winning the award now. 

There's a ESPN report saying if they get Kwahi Lebron would all but certain commit to the Lakers in FA. 
not sure that is really news. Also great message from Spurs people to push to sports media to pressure Lakers into feeling forced to make a move in the next day or 2. Wonder if this is RC playing a relatively inexperienced GM 

I agree I like how the NFL does things. If you didn't play a game and out the year the next year you are a player in your 2nd year or Sophomore season. Not fair to the guys who are rookies in your second year may not have a chance at winning the award now. 
this stuff is so silly. So Bridges played 3 years at Nova at a high level and is 22. guy like Zhaire Smith is 19 (i believe) and played portions of the year at Texas Tech before joining the NBA. so additional 3 years of playing not important at all, but a guy who had to rehab and sit out a year makes that big difference  :loco:

More like San Antonio is feeling pressure from not getting any good offers from teams that are being told Kawhi won't sign with them, so they are leaking this BS about the Lakers feeling pressure to get a star ahead of free agency while also indicating that they would now take offers from the Lakers. The Spurs know that as soon as the Lakers get LeBron and PG, they are going to be in a bad spot leverage-wise.
Yeah I saw the 76ers made an offer I think it was Fultz, Covington and Future picks. That's not a great deal for SA for Kwahi. If I'm the Spurs I want Saric. I'm not sure what other teams offered but when I saw that rumored deal I just shook my head. 

maybe, but even being a #### wouldn't being considered the GOAT trump a chummy former player? i honestly don't know
You’re selling Magic short.  He isn’t just a “chummy former player”.  He’s #3 All Time behind MJ (#2) and LeBron (GOAT).  

And Magic is part owner of the Dodgers, GM of the Lakers, and the king of Los Angeles.  MJ lives in Charlotte.  LOL. 

If it was that easy to get free agents to follow former greats then every team in the league would do it. 

Stop over thinking it, Magic the owner is better than Michael the owner. Plus LA vs. Charolette. 

You’re selling Magic short.  He isn’t just a “chummy former player”.  He’s #3 All Time behind MJ (#2) and LeBron (GOAT).  

And Magic is part owner of the Dodgers, GM of the Lakers, and the king of Los Angeles.  MJ lives in Charlotte.  LOL. 
i guess i am just thinking if success as a player weighs more then being a savvy suit as GM. not trying to sell Magic short just wondering if NBA players who are non-Lakers fans would really care that much if Magic is your GM. if i grow up a Spurs fan, and Duncan was their GM, would it really convince players to come there? i guess maybe, but i just think that effect would only work on a small percent of NBA players

Do people think Magic being the GM would make FAs and players want to join the Lakers? i don't know, but if that is the case i am surprised Charlotte doesn't have more pull with Jordan there. and if it has that pull, wondering why more teams wouldn't have famous players as front office. Larry Bird and MJ don't have that ability but Magic does? honestly am curious, and if that is the case Sixers should just fill vacancy with DR. J, A.I., or Charles all 3 hang enough with the team, though Charles has a sweet gig right now
I think Magic and LA go together more then MJ and Charlotte. Charlotte was never an amazing Franchise. Now MJ GM with the Bulls we have a scenario of Magic and LAL. It's the Lakers and your boss is what many considering debatable the best PG in NBA history. 

think it would be kind of funny if Pop and the Spurs are that salty with the Lakers that they release they are now considering their offers to just tease them and still have no intention of dealing with them. 

this stuff is so silly. So Bridges played 3 years at Nova at a high level and is 22. guy like Zhaire Smith is 19 (i believe) and played portions of the year at Texas Tech before joining the NBA. so additional 3 years of playing not important at all, but a guy who had to rehab and sit out a year makes that big difference  :loco:
He got to be with NBA players and coaches. Sit on the bench and learn the offense in the film room for a year. The only difference in Age is when the player comes out. you could argue maybe a player who plays 3-4 yrs of college ball will be better then the one and done as they can develop more. However the experience not from playing but the NBA overall and schudediling and all that is a huge deal of experience Simmons got while Tatum, Mitchel etc were in college. Bridges 3 yrs in college doesn't get him the NBA riggers and schedule he'll face daily. This is no different then if Carson Wentz say got hurt his rookie year and played zero regular season games. He comes back this year and wins Rookie of the year over Todd Gurley. Wentz got to learn the offense, daily training and rigors of the NFL and got a full season to also rehab with top professional Drs in the league. 

He got to be with NBA players and coaches. Sit on the bench and learn the offense in the film room for a year. The only difference in Age is when the player comes out. you could argue maybe a player who plays 3-4 yrs of college ball will be better then the one and done as they can develop more. However the experience not from playing but the NBA overall and schudediling and all that is a huge deal of experience Simmons got while Tatum, Mitchel etc were in college. Bridges 3 yrs in college doesn't get him the NBA riggers and schedule he'll face daily. This is no different then if Carson Wentz say got hurt his rookie year and played zero regular season games. He comes back this year and wins Rookie of the year over Todd Gurley. Wentz got to learn the offense, daily training and rigors of the NFL and got a full season to also rehab with top professional Drs in the league. 
i'm fairly certain Ben would have preferred to stay healthy and play his 1st year in the league, rather than have some goof named Shawn Long clumsily mess up his landing and have him miss the year. if he chose to sit a year then sure you may have something. but hard to crap on a player who had a significant injury the last practice before the 1st pre-season game as if he tried to game the system

If you're the Sixers, and you could be 100% certain LeBron would sign there if you already had Kawhi - would you trade Fultz and Simmons (and Bayless) for Leonard to make that happen? I'ld have to believe the Spurs would be happy to get Simmons for Leonard.
No on Simmons.

Jordan has proven to be a not so great GM. Jury's still out on Magic. But there's more to Magic than that as well that people don't really talk about much, and that's the business acumen he's acquired and demonstrated since he left the league. He's become very, very successful in his endeavors in that area, he actually learned a lot from Jerry Buss in the field. Guys like LeBron are looking to do similar things with their lives once they're out of the game - Magic is kind of a blueprint for what that looks like, and I'd imagine would be up for mentoring LeBron in that area the way Dr. Buss did for Magic.

You can shine that off and say LeBron's already off to a great start, and I think he has been doing well for himself in his business ventures outside basketball. But I'd still hazard a guess he'd be somewhat intrigued by getting to work with Magic more closely and learn whatever tricks Magic has accumulated through his experiences as well.

To me, I think a large part of whatever allure L.A. might have for LeBron has more to do with life outside the arena than it does what happens on the court - his family, his lifestyle, his future after basketball, etc.

Jordan has proven to be a not so great GM. Jury's still out on Magic. But there's more to Magic than that as well that people don't really talk about much, and that's the business acumen he's acquired and demonstrated since he left the league. He's become very, very successful in his endeavors in that area, he actually learned a lot from Jerry Buss in the field. Guys like LeBron are looking to do similar things with their lives once they're out of the game - Magic is kind of a blueprint for what that looks like, and I'd imagine would be up for mentoring LeBron in that area the way Dr. Buss did for Magic.

You can shine that off and say LeBron's already off to a great start, and I think he has been doing well for himself in his business ventures outside basketball. But I'd still hazard a guess he'd be somewhat intrigued by getting to work with Magic more closely and learn whatever tricks Magic has accumulated through his experiences as well.

To me, I think a large part of whatever allure L.A. might have for LeBron has more to do with life outside the arena than it does what happens on the court - his family, his lifestyle, his future after basketball, etc.
well if that is the case, Lebron should have come to Philly and worked with Eric Jr./#stillballin as a mentor on how to make a bunch of money and F it all up after it is given to you because of your dad  :topcat:

and i think the latest ESPN report about Lakers and Spurs resuming talks really is either just the norm these days of reporting something to keep idiots like me clicking for now, or it really is the Spurs trolling the Lakers. If Spurs are trading with the Lakers, i can't see any reason they would make that trade now to motivate Lebron to go there because he knows Kawhi will be there. Even if LA offers the best offer, i just have to think it isn't accepted until after all the free agents are worked out. Like how the Cowboys dropped Dez Bryant after the free agency period to screw him a bit

well if that is the case, Lebron should have come to Philly and worked with Eric Jr./#stillballin as a mentor on how to make a bunch of money and F it all up after it is given to you because of your dad  :topcat:

and i think the latest ESPN report about Lakers and Spurs resuming talks really is either just the norm these days of reporting something to keep idiots like me clicking for now, or it really is the Spurs trolling the Lakers. If Spurs are trading with the Lakers, i can't see any reason they would make that trade now to motivate Lebron to go there because he knows Kawhi will be there. Even if LA offers the best offer, i just have to think it isn't accepted until after all the free agents are worked out. Like how the Cowboys dropped Dez Bryant after the free agency period to screw him a bit
If the Lakers don't land LeBron and/or George, their motivation to obtain Leonard after they lose out on the free agents this year is pretty low. They may as well gamble on Leonard coming to them as a FA next year in that case. If the Lakers already have LeBron and/or George without Leonard, there's no pressure on them to acquire Leonard to persuade them to sign. I don't think the Spurs have a ton of leverage due to the timing of things - their window for their best deal with the Lakers is now before the free agents make their decisions. 

so the whole Kawhi only wants to play in LA is an actual quote from him? it seems the sports media has totally run with this, but the only thing i can remember is the quote from the ringer from someone in Kawhi's camp a few months ago listing NY, LA and Philly. i am Kawhi would play in LA, but it seems like the sports media has just taken this concept of LA or bust and ran with it, no?

and i have no idea how i have fallen down this rabbit hole with the NBA off-season, but i hope the Sixers make their moves quick and i can get out of this "sources speculate........" news for a bit. total sucker here for all the clickbait with this free agency period

But there's more to Magic than that as well that people don't really talk about much, and that's the business acumen he's acquired and demonstrated since he left the league. He's become very, very successful in his endeavors in that area, he actually learned a lot from Jerry Buss in the field. Guys like LeBron are looking to do similar things with their lives once they're out of the game - Magic is kind of a blueprint for what that looks like, and I'd imagine would be up for mentoring LeBron in that area the way Dr. Buss did for Magic.
I know this is a small part of the pitch, but it never has made a ton of sense to me. Lebron can call Warren Buffett or anyone else in the world up if he needs investment advice. He already has a business empire and is a global icon. What is the ability to go upstairs and talk to Magic really adding?

If the Lakers don't land LeBron and/or George, their motivation to obtain Leonard after they lose out on the free agents this year is pretty low. They may as well gamble on Leonard coming to them as a FA next year in that case. If the Lakers already have LeBron and/or George without Leonard, there's no pressure on them to acquire Leonard to persuade them to sign. I don't think the Spurs have a ton of leverage due to the timing of things - their window for their best deal with the Lakers is now before the free agents make their decisions. 
I have to escape this stuff, but i just can't. Along with what you have above, i think it also would almost apply to other teams in the discussion. For the Sixers, i think you wouldn't want to sacrifice a ton for Kawhi if you don't sign another top FA like George or Lebron, cause i think it would put a significant dent in the ability to possibly re-sign him past this year. So for teams like this, i could see them tell the Spurs that they are definitely interested, but maybe they wait to see if they sign one of those guys first. 

This stuff is funny, i should have reached out to the Sixers and offered to be their GM for the next week for free. i wouldn't make any deals on my own, but i feel like i have read almost every stupid speculative article out there to be able to join in the conversations

I love you @modogg  don’t ever change. 
sorry bud, i think this is only for another week. Good chance if the free agency period runs longer then a week or 2 i could lose job/wife/kid. Will be happy to not check every single related podcast and article. 

Maybe this is what happens when your NFL team wins the Super Bowl, and the NFL off-season isn't as scary and ripe with all kinds of questions  :shrug: in fact, i am still happy enough about it that i am pulling for Cousins to light it up and you and your Vikings to get to the Super Bowl and win this year (if the Eagles slack)

Also a charismatic businessman, and would be way more fun to work for than MJ.

Magic came to my building back in the 00s when he had a deal with us and came across as a very likeable person. 

It's called hope. Trust me, you'll know it when it's gone.
i've been an Eagles fan my whole life, during the Andy Reid years and everything. Know all about crushed hopes. Wait until you guys get to the point where you get so bitter and spiteful that it really isn't that bad of a thing to throw D batteries at a player. 

I know this is a small part of the pitch, but it never has made a ton of sense to me. Lebron can call Warren Buffett or anyone else in the world up if he needs investment advice. He already has a business empire and is a global icon. What is the ability to go upstairs and talk to Magic really adding?
I don't think Buffett would relate to LeBron the same way Magic would. Magic and LeBron's paths through life have been pretty similar so far (apart from the HIV thing). Magic's success in the business world isn't based on stuff his entourage has set up for him, or completely on his celebrity (certainly that's helped). He's learned things that have enabled him, directly, to operate in the business world at an extremely high level. Maybe LeBron's already at that level too, maybe not. There's always more to learn, and who would you rather spend the time learning from? Also, Buffet doesn't own/manage an NBA team. LeBron is still going to be in the league a few years yet, so he'll have an opportunity to pick stuff up on a day to day basis from ownership/management if he wants that relationship. It's a different situation than hanging with Buffet (or whoever) on the side.

I think the actual only news from today (outside of Cavs loving more Perkins) is the NBA and the powers that be signed Adam SIlver to a further extension as commissioner. Sure, guy did swell helping out the Sixers, let's reward him and give him more years. Hell, they should hire the whole Colangelo family and have them handle parts of the commissioner job, like PR or something. 

I think the actual only news from today (outside of Cavs loving more Perkins) is the NBA and the powers that be signed Adam SIlver to a further extension as commissioner. Sure, guy did swell helping out the Sixers, let's reward him and give him more years. Hell, they should hire the whole Colangelo family and have them handle parts of the commissioner job, like PR or something. 
I love Silver. :shrug:   

I guess the Mavericks are kicking the tires on trading for DeAndre Jordan. I find that somewhat kooky given the recent past.

Yeah, like Brook Lopez, I hear nothing about potential landing spots for him. Such a defensive liability though.

I've heard a couple firsthand stories about Magic and MJ. Magic came into my friend's sandwich shop last year. My friend said the sandwiches were free if he'd take a picture with him for the shop, but Magic said he'd be happy to take a picture with him and he wants to pay for the sandwiches. From my mother's best friend, she was in the lobby of a hotel at Atlantis in the Bahamas 20 years ago when she hears someone making a big fuss to the concierge that he asked for some white women to be sent up to his room hours ago. The concierge said something like he was doing his best but hadn't been able to find any, and the guy nods over to my mother's friend and says, "How about her? She'll do." My mother's friend was an attractive blonde, though she was in her 50s at this point. She gives the guy a dirty look and realizes it's Michael Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread