What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Paul George had played in the 90's, he would have signed with the Heat to play alongside Alonzo Mourning instead of the Bulls to play with Jordan because Jordan would have gotten all of the credit when the Bulls won. 

All this does is demonstrate that George is more concerned with getting credit for winning than actually winning.  Players like that are hard to win championships with.  He would never last on the Warriors because, like you said, their handful of stars care about winning above all else. 
i'm fairly confident that OKC finishes higher then the Lakers this year, and probably for the next 2-3, and so if he cares about winning he sticks with OKC. I can not fathom as reason to poop on George for choosing OKC, the sell out move would have been signing in LA like Lebron's lapdog

Last edited by a moderator:
If Paul George had played in the 90's, he would have signed with the Heat to play alongside Alonzo Mourning instead of the Bulls to play with Jordan because Jordan would have gotten all of the credit when the Bulls won. 

All this does is demonstrate that George is more concerned with getting credit for winning than actually winning.  Players like that are hard to win championships with.  He would never last on the Warriors because, like you said, their handful of stars care about winning above all else. 
So wait now if you sign with a team that’s a likely winner you are awful but if you sign with another team to try to overcome that team you are also awful?

I hope this happens.....no big time free agent would sign here anyways, at least make things interesting.  #heartandhustle

Alex Kennedy: Isaiah Thomas and the Orlando Magic are negotiating a possible deal, according to league sources. Nothing has been agreed to yet, but it seems both sides want to get this done.

LaVar said:

"Lonzo ain't going to play off the ball. How's LeBron going to play point? Lonzo will be pushing and he get it out of his hands too quick. Lonzo don't do all that dribbling. All he got to do is run the lane and the pass going to be right on the money … We going to play so fast, he'll throw him touchdown passes and be scoring all day. And then when he don't, he going to throw the long pass and Lonzo will shoot the 3-pointer very easy."
Someone on the team needs to accidentally have a ball get away from them and home it hits Lavar in the mouth. That or someone needs to go up to the guy and break his jaw. Or the simple can stop covering him. The less he's covered the sooner he'll go away. I almost feel bad for Lonzo because it clear his dad is only using him to Make money. He's your typical parent living through their kid/s. 

Bell 8 pts, 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, helps hold Bagley to 3/16 shooting in 24 min.  Warriors paid cash for him in the second round lol 
Someone remind me why the heck Gar/Pax traded this kid for future cash considerations? Oh yeah because we needed the roster spot to fit Cameron "dumpster fire" Payne.  :wall:

i love these reports now that Lonzo's camp/people are the one's who leaked his injury to avoid being traded. i'm sure what Kawhi just went through last year, he is jumping over people to join this organization

bananafish said:
What move outside of signing LeBron have they made that makes sense?

• Signed KCP for 1/$12M 
  • Signed Lance Stephenson for 1/$4.5M
  • Signed Rajon Rondo for 1/$9M
  • Renounce rights to Julius Randle
  • Sign JaVale McGee to 1/min
  • Turn down Boogie 1/$5.3M
  • Probably signing Carmelo after he gets bought out
Who besides Laker homers think this team is getting out of the first round if they even make the playoffs? 

As Embiid tweeted to LeBron "it's not too late to change your mind lol"
Looks more like a new edition of the Jersey Shore cast. Maybe they can get Lamar Odom as well. 

Embid is the best. 
I like Embiid's talent but the dude has some growing up to do. He's created a few enemies in the league doing a lot of talking without action yet and I've read Brown has had to tell him a few times to calm the antics down or dial it down a notch or two. Dude has a lot of potential and if he stays healthy and matures a little could be the best Center since Hakeem. 

Day off, and for some stupid reason, I decided to check out First Take for the first time in years. As bad as Skip and the cast of idiots were, these new guys are far worse. Some things you just have to accept in the Hot Take Era, knowing guys are just trying to make outlandish arguments to get a reaction, but these guys get bogged down over stupid arguments. Currently, going round and round down the "how important are rings/can you be great without one?" rabbit hole for what seems like 30 minutes. 

Maybe Skip did it too, but I remember him having a much more polished brand of hot take d-baggery. Kind of like professional wrestling. It's all horse####, but some can be better at it than others.

And speaking of ESPN, I do catch some "Get Up" some mornings and it's actually not too bad at all. Though, I do have a love of Jalen and Beadle, so I'm biased.
First take was way better with Smith and Skip. Bayless seems more like a wrestling character though on the show. I can't stand the new people at all. I forgett the former NBA player they had on or what he said but looking at Twitter the dude got roasted. But this what the new generation of kids want to watch these days. The era of actual sports journalism and actual ESPN type show are dead. I watch old highlights and stuff with Berman, Stuart Scott and others and think of what it's become today. I think Scott is rolling in his grave. 

No star wants to go play with/help Lebron, they're tired of him and the constant media lovefest that they all get overshadowed by with him.

Kyrie bounced on him, PG preferred OKC with Russ, and now reports coming out that Kawhi might prefer the Clippers all of a sudden. 

If this doesn't wake people up to the fact that Lebron isn't some electromagnet for other star players, I don't know what will.
Yeah it's why I brought up the fact I think Love might be happy LeBron left. I know he said in interviews he'd want him back but you can never take guys for their word today. Plus I don't see Love as the type of guy to stir the pot. It is interesting players aren't going to him. Maybe Kyrie was on to something when he said he wanted to leave. But you have the media heads who will always support Lebron and think he can do no wrong. 

Hence why Russ and him get along so well. This is why KD left too. PG and Russ have the same mindset on that part. However I think if reports are true Kwahi thinking elsewhere now that's cause of concern for Lebron and LA. 

I like Embiid's talent but the dude has some growing up to do. He's created a few enemies in the league doing a lot of talking without action yet and I've read Brown has had to tell him a few times to calm the antics down or dial it down a notch or two. Dude has a lot of potential and if he stays healthy and matures a little could be the best Center since Hakeem. 
Nah.  He’s the face of the new generation who were raised with social media. Dude is awesome. 

Nah.  He’s the face of the new generation who were raised with social media. Dude is awesome. 
yup. everyone knows he is playing, and that is why most of NBA enjoy it. if he gets sloppy or lets his game slide it will burn him bad. but guy is a total team guy (never throwing his teammates under the bus, even if just jokes). hasn't had a negative impact yet, and you can see he is learning like when the Colangelo stuff came. he slowed down and said the right stuff in the public eye in interviews, but we all knew what he was thinking. 

i do like his stance with burner accounts and says we all know he doesn't have one. to be honest, the whoie thing with him and social media came about because he was injured for months and wanted to be in the loop. He keeps at it, but isn't like when he had all the time on his hands 

i'm fairly confident that OKC finishes higher then the Lakers this year, and probably for the next 2-3, and so if he cares about winning he sticks with OKC. I can not fathom as reason to poop on George for choosing OKC, the sell out move would have been signing in LA like Lebron's lapdog
I will be shocked if the Thunder make a deeper playoff run than the Lakers do in the next 2-3 years.  

So wait now if you sign with a team that’s a likely winner you are awful but if you sign with another team to try to overcome that team you are also awful?
I didn't say that.  

It's some of his off the court and on the court antics. Laying out in the middle of the game almost taking a nap, Talking sh** on twitter about other guys well before he barely played, the whole Ringer report how he was concerned about Shirley temples instead of rehab that Brett Brown voiced concerned etc. I hate the social media age with these athletes to an extent. One it's another platform for a lot of these players to act like idiots and get in trouble and two a lot of immaturity shown by many on there. 

It's some of his off the court and on the court antics. Laying out in the middle of the game almost taking a nap, Talking sh** on twitter about other guys well before he barely played, the whole Ringer report how he was concerned about Shirley temples instead of rehab that Brett Brown voiced concerned etc. I hate the social media age with these athletes to an extent. One it's another platform for a lot of these players to act like idiots and get in trouble and two a lot of immaturity shown by many on there. 
You do not want to know what a young Charles Barkley would have done with Twitter.

Marc Stein tweeted yesterday that 29 out of the 52 agreements have been for one-year deals.  A lot of other deals have also been short -- two or three years.  Unless I missed someone, most of the deals four years or longer went to star or expected to be star players: Chris Paul, LeBron James, Aaron Gordon, Nikola Jokic, and Will Barton. (One of those is not like the others.)

Certainly this is much different than previous years when long-term deals were much more prevalent. 

Why the change?  We know some of the teams have luxury tax concerns and don't want to put themselves in financial stress for mediocre players.  Other teams are looking to keep cap space available for the summer of 2019.  

Even with that, though, I wonder if this might be the new normal.  So many teams screwed themselves by taking players in the summer of 2016 that they regret (Deng, Noah, Howard, Ryan Anderson, Mozgov, Parsons, Whiteside, Plumlee, Biyombo, Turner, etc.) that teams collectively are scared to go long-term unless it's a star.  Will this tread continue or will teams go back to their old, free-spending ways?

Edit: Another possible reason for the short-term deals is agents are encouraging their players to take them promising that the market will be better next year.  Although we know more teams will have cap space, I'm skeptical that we'll go back to seeing a lot of longer-term contracts.

This week's Sports Illustrated had a "where are they now" article on the Run-TMC Warriors. Mullin and Hardaway claim they could beat today's Warriors if they didn't have Durant. 
Would anyone be really shocked if the Warriors never got Durant and were still sitting here with just the '15 title?  They could have gotten a good player during this timeframe, but Durant's don't grow on Warrior trees.

Would anyone be really shocked if the Warriors never got Durant and were still sitting here with just the '15 title?  They could have gotten a good player during this timeframe, but Durant's don't grow on Warrior trees.
Shocked? No, but would they have made a move for Butler, Hayward, George? Does Kyrie still leave the Cavs? Does Houston make the move for Paul? 

Too many variables to know if they would have won another title, but they would have been in the mix. 

Nemanja Bjelica to the Sixers on the room MLE.  At first glance it looks like a solid Ersan replacement.  And that’s probably all it is.

But now they have a big roster crunch at 17 players (before Jonah Bolden).  I’m wondering if Bjelica is actually Saric insurance for a Kawhi trade. :popcorn:

Nemanja Bjelica to the Sixers on the room MLE.  At first glance it looks like a solid Ersan replacement.  And that’s probably all it is.

But now they have a big roster crunch at 17 players (before Jonah Bolden).  I’m wondering if Bjelica is actually Saric insurance for a Kawhi trade. :popcorn:
hmm, maybe. I think some of the rooks might go G drive

Marc Stein tweeted yesterday that 29 out of the 52 agreements have been for one-year deals.  A lot of other deals have also been short -- two or three years.  Unless I missed someone, most of the deals four years or longer went to star or expected to be star players: Chris Paul, LeBron James, Aaron Gordon, Nikola Jokic, and Will Barton. (One of those is not like the others.)

Certainly this is much different than previous years when long-term deals were much more prevalent. 

Why the change?  We know some of the teams have luxury tax concerns and don't want to put themselves in financial stress for mediocre players.  Other teams are looking to keep cap space available for the summer of 2019.  

Even with that, though, I wonder if this might be the new normal.  So many teams screwed themselves by taking players in the summer of 2016 that they regret (Deng, Noah, Howard, Ryan Anderson, Mozgov, Parsons, Whiteside, Plumlee, Biyombo, Turner, etc.) that teams collectively are scared to go long-term unless it's a star.  Will this tread continue or will teams go back to their old, free-spending ways?

Edit: Another possible reason for the short-term deals is agents are encouraging their players to take them promising that the market will be better next year.  Although we know more teams will have cap space, I'm skeptical that we'll go back to seeing a lot of longer-term contracts.
Somewhere the league, teams, and players did not have an accurate portrayal of the future salary cap. IIRC, there was a decent jump in the annual team cap number with promise of (or projected) more dollars becoming available each year. So teams went out and signed a ton of players to long-term max deals that one off season a couple of seasons ago. But then the cap didn't go up very much after that. The net result this off season was the huge majority of teams had little to no cap space (or were already over the cap). I believe it was reported the cap is projected to go up next year and the year after, which is probably why players would rather hit the market when teams have money to spend. From the team's perspective, they would also want to have max dollars available to try to lure some marquee players next off season.

@thecatch

Looks like the LaVine-Kings rumor is back on again:

"The restricted free agent market is just decimated," said Adrian Wojnarowski. "I don't know where they guys are going to get their money. The one hope is Zach LaVine in Sacramento. They've been pretty serious about doing that. Maybe he can get an offer sheet from them?"

Shocked? No, but would they have made a move for Butler, Hayward, George? Does Kyrie still leave the Cavs? Does Houston make the move for Paul? 

Too many variables to know if they would have won another title, but they would have been in the mix. 
I agree.  I'm just saying, they were not invincible (some argue they aren't now because they were down 3-2 to HOU), so Run TMC has a point and it trickles down to other teams of the past few seasons.

Yeah, they have to be up to something.  I guess Zhaire and Landry could go to the G League (or even Furkan again and maybe TLC if they had to) and of course Bayliss will be gone.

With Chandler, Saric, Bjelica and Bolden, they kind of have a glut at PF.

hmm, maybe. I think some of the rooks might go G drive
Agree - and without a doubt there's some dead wood on the roster that will almost certainly be cleared out (Bayless buyout, Holmes isn't making this team as currently constructed, TLC and/or Justin Anderson is probably on thin ice too), but assuming no trades, their rotation is pretty crowded:

G – Simmons/Fultz
G -Redick/Zhaire(TJ)
F – RoCo/Chandler
F – Dario/Bjelica
C – Embiid/Amir

I think there's a chance that the Chandler and Bjelica signings give air cover on including Roco and Dario in a Kawhi trade now, at least for this year.  Throw in a 1st or 2, and maybe someone like Korkmaz to consolidate and clear out the roster clutter.  Bring up Bolden to platoon at the 4 with Bjelica and Chandler. 

I have a feeling the Nets are gonna go after Jabari Parker. They've been very careful to avoid using cap space so far this summer - I believe they have agreements in place with Joe Harris and Ed Davis to sign for the MLE and R-MLE, but the deals haven't been inked yet. Once the Dwight Howard buyout becomes official, I'm guessing they'll have 12MM-ish in space, so they can give all that to Parker and then circle around and sign Harris/Davis with exceptions. 

I will be shocked if the Thunder make a deeper playoff run than the Lakers do in the next 2-3 years.  

I didn't say that.  
Why would you be shocked if Thunder have a better run? seeing the articles being pushed I could see how people could think this Lakers teams will be good, but the Lakers only have 2-3 assets left worth anything (their draft picks took a hit after getting Lebron because he won't tank, he will get them top .500), and any free agent with a lick of common sense will not choose to join that team. A lot of teams will have money next year and I think Lakers would be on the bottom of the barrel for people to want to join.  I was completely off with LeBron going there in the first place, so maybe I am wrong again, it just seems like players are looking more to avoid it then gravitate toward it. And I think the off-season moves outside of LeBron have created that.

If I had any confidence in OKC I would feel more secure with that, but don't want to completely prop them up either. But the difference is OKC is a bit of an unknown and may slip in a playoff run.

I have a feeling the Nets are gonna go after Jabari Parker. They've been very careful to avoid using cap space so far this summer - I believe they have agreements in place with Joe Harris and Ed Davis to sign for the MLE and R-MLE, but the deals haven't been inked yet. Once the Dwight Howard buyout becomes official, I'm guessing they'll have 12MM-ish in space, so they can give all that to Parker and then circle around and sign Harris/Davis with exceptions. 
there seems to be a lot of smoke around the idea that Irving and Butler could end up there, I am not so sure how much they want to spend now until that is clearer. People talk about Magic like he was the main reason for LeBron to go to LA, I would think a guy like Jay-Z would carry a bit more weight in that department if players are interested

What’s the highest offer the Bulls would match, you think?
Nobody knows except the decision makers of the Bulls.  Kings have about $18 million in cap space, right?  I think the Bulls would match an offer starting at that but I'm far from positive.

LaVine is a hard player to project.  He could end up being a low efficiency, poor defending chucker or he could make improvements in his game and grow into an All-Star.  Who knows?

Nobody knows except the decision makers of the Bulls.  Kings have about $18 million in cap space, right?  I think the Bulls would match an offer starting at that but I'm far from positive.

LaVine is a hard player to project.  He could end up being a low efficiency, poor defending chucker or he could make improvements in his game and grow into an All-Star.  Who knows?
I’d bet on a guy who can be a high end three point shooter and who also can attack the rim, even with his weaknesses. I’m still on team LaVine>Wiggins. He just doesn’t fit on the Kings.

Teams should be going harder after him and Jabari, I think. To the point you made in your earlier post, I wonder if those guys would rather take the one year qualifying offer than sign an offer sheet on a long term deal that may look like an underpay after the market normalizes next year. 

Agree - and without a doubt there's some dead wood on the roster that will almost certainly be cleared out (Bayless buyout, Holmes isn't making this team as currently constructed, TLC and/or Justin Anderson is probably on thin ice too), but assuming no trades, their rotation is pretty crowded:

G – Simmons/Fultz
G -Redick/Zhaire(TJ)
F – RoCo/Chandler
F – Dario/Bjelica
C – Embiid/Amir

I think there's a chance that the Chandler and Bjelica signings give air cover on including Roco and Dario in a Kawhi trade now, at least for this year.  Throw in a 1st or 2, and maybe someone like Korkmaz to consolidate and clear out the roster clutter.  Bring up Bolden to platoon at the 4 with Bjelica and Chandler. 
Chandler should be mostly a PF now. He's a better defender at the position and his offensive game is also better suited for the 4. Saric is a better player than Chandler, but I would probably start Chandler at the 4 and have Saric lead the second unit.

I’d bet on a guy who can be a high end three point shooter and who also can attack the rim, even with his weaknesses. I’m still on team LaVine>Wiggins. He just doesn’t fit on the Kings.

Teams should be going harder after him and Jabari, I think. To the point you made in your earlier post, I wonder if those guys would rather take the one year qualifying offer than sign an offer sheet on a long term deal that may look like an underpay after the market normalizes next year. 
What teams have significant cap space left? Off the top of my head, I think its only Atlanta, Sacramento, and Chicago. Atlanta doesn't seem interested in signing anybody and will use their space to collect assets instead. Chicago and Sacramento are terrible fits for Parker. Lavine isn't a very good fit for the (mediocre) SG heavy Kings. In the end I think Lavine signs a 3+1 for an AAV between 18-20/year (overpay), and Parker takes his QO.

What teams have significant cap space left? Off the top of my head, I think its only Atlanta, Sacramento, and Chicago. Atlanta doesn't seem interested in signing anybody and will use their space to collect assets instead. Chicago and Sacramento are terrible fits for Parker. Lavine isn't a very good fit for the (mediocre) SG heavy Kings. In the end I think Lavine signs a 3+1 for an AAV between 18-20/year (overpay), and Parker takes his QO.
It’s a too late now, but teams like Dallas and LAL would have been better served going after some of these guys if they are truly available. Atlanta just needs talent. I’d actually like Parker in Sacramento as part of a Parker/Giles/Bagley rotation, if they can dump/waive their vets to clear playing time. I think I’d rather have LaVine or Parker on reasonable deals than a mid-late first rounder as part of a contract dump. 

Remaining practical cap space:

CHI $40.3M
ATL $22.3M
SAC $18.1M
IND $12.1M
DAL $12M
PHO $6.1M
PHI $2.9M
LAL $1.3M

Those are the only teams with cap space as currently constituted. Teams could still stretch players, sign their own free agents, sign guys to minimum deals, or use exemptions.

Remaining practical cap space:

CHI $40.3M
ATL $22.3M
SAC $18.1M
IND $12.1M
DAL $12M
PHO $6.1M
PHI $2.9M
LAL $1.3M

Those are the only teams with cap space as currently constituted. Teams could still stretch players, sign their own free agents, sign guys to minimum deals, or use exemptions.

surprised with Indian's number there, I guess that is without Thad? they picked up some good pieces this off-season, and seem like good fits on that team. They could be fun to watch

surprised with Indian's number there, I guess that is without Thad? they picked up some good pieces this off-season, and seem like good fits on that team. They could be fun to watch
That includes $13.7M allocated for Young. Pacers still have $12.1M in practical cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread