What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (9 Viewers)

Excellent post.  I don't watch cable news, but every morning I fire up CNN's website and literally every day the front page is an anti-Trump opinion piece hate fiesta.  Like you, I kind of don't even blame CNN for that.  Trump is a virus that our system wasn't designed to handle.  Our media outlets don't really know how to report on a guy like this, and it's thrown some of them completely off kilter.
How would you assess Fox's handling of the Obama presidency? 

You mentioned in another thread that you took some time away from paying much attention to politics in general. How did that go?

The recent New Yorker cartoon kind of resonated with me. I like to pretend that being well informed about political stuff is part of my civic duty as a voter, but I’m just kidding myself. I can spend two hours before each election cramming in order to vote well enough. The rest is basically just entertainment, and I’m starting to think it’s not a particularly rewarding form of entertainment. It’s seductive, though.
I consider my interest in politics is more of an addiction than an entertainment vehicle.

Ed Markey co-sponsored the New Green Deal with AOC and calls Mitch McConnell trying to bring it to a floor vote “sabatge.”  :lmao:  What a steaming dumpster fire we have here.

Democrats can avoid this trap pretty easily if they stay unified. They should all vote no and explain that it’s a political stunt, that the plan isn’t ready to vote on yet. 

Democrats can avoid this trap pretty easily if they stay unified. They should all vote no and explain that it’s a political stunt, that the plan isn’t ready to vote on yet. 
That's not what they're going to do though. They're going to vote for it as a "starting point" while making sure to point out their "Yes" vote was made knowing it wouldn't pass and that eventual passable legislation would require tweaking.

Your idea is infinitely better though. A "Yes" vote forces lots of unnecessary defending later. This is all born out of the fact that these Presidential hopefuls believe they need to be on the AOC train. Personally I think soon enough it will bear out that they do not and should not.

Last edited by a moderator:
While i agree this is the best course, they dont exactly get to avoid the trap. Hard to argue that a bill that was supposed to be a big deal was just thrown out there and was not real, yet

killface said:
64 pages in...it is awesome how much attention she is getting
Yeah, I find it fascinating.  Not the boring back and forth “you’re obsessed...no I’m not, YOU’RE obsessed!” but rather just how known she is as a first year congresswoman and how much coverage she is getting.

I would certainly hope so.  I would rather be governed by nearly all of the Democratic presidential candidates than Trump, so they're off to a very good start.
Huh? The plan floated and approved/endorsed by some of these candidates is literally insane.

Some are ok with late term abortion, others are publicly making other controversial comments about Israel.

This race is going to be about who is willing to disrupt the current state from a leftist point of view. Based on your posts, I don't think that you're going to be in favor of that, even if Trump is clown.

timschochet said:
Of course it's a political stunt, but the reason he wants to put it up for a vote is because it's an insane, ridiculous plan. A plan that will help Donald Trump get re-elected if they continue taking the crazy pills. AOC is not a serious figure even if she knows how to get attention - Democratic candidates should have their own plans, not supporting the lunacy of a moron.

Mr Anonymous said:
That's not what they're going to do though. They're going to vote for it as a "starting point" while making sure to point out their "Yes" vote was made knowing it wouldn't pass and that eventual passable legislation would require tweaking.
Yes, that will be the spin. "This is a conversation we should be having, and this allows for it. Of course, I'll have my own plan"

timschochet said:
It's kind of hard to make that argument when we're talking about legislation that you put out there.

As you and I agreed earlier, the legislation itself is just a resolution that says, in essence, "We should get serious about climate change and renewable energy."  It's completely anodyne.  It's so broad and open-ended that a "no" vote should have been nearly impossible to justify for anybody who is not a global warming denialist.  But now it's linked to guaranteed incomes for people unwilling to work, destroying the airline industry, abolishing nuclear power, cow flatulence, and all sorts of other out-there specifics.  That's not a Republican dirty trick --- it's an own goal by a small faction of Democrats who got way out of their lane.

Huh? The plan floated and approved/endorsed by some of these candidates is literally insane.

Some are ok with late term abortion, others are publicly making other controversial comments about Israel.

This race is going to be about who is willing to disrupt the current state from a leftist point of view. Based on your posts, I don't think that you're going to be in favor of that, even if Trump is clown.
Normally, I focus almost entirely on policy.  I'll support whoever is closest to my policy views.  If that person happens to be a great person, wonderful.  If that person happens to be a jerk, oh well.  So I understand your argument and I would agree with it most of the time.

2020 is different though.  In my opinion, our civic culture has become toxic, and Trump is a huge part of the reason why.  The fact that a guy so obviously unqualified to be president and so generally odious even ran a competitive primary campaign is disgraceful.  Having him actually win a general election is a stain on our national character.  He's spent the last two years tearing down one norm after another.  This needs to stop.  I'm willing to take a loss on policy if that's what it takes to reestablish an adult conversation in the political arena.

Obviously if the Democrats drop off the deep end too, that would change things, but I don't see that as a foregone conclusion.

Yeah, I find it fascinating.  Not the boring back and forth “you’re obsessed...no I’m not, YOU’RE obsessed!” but rather just how known she is as a first year congresswoman and how much coverage she is getting.
Media...they can make or break anyone. A 29 year old good looking female who was a bartender a couple months ago and now is trying to dictate policy to the USA is a pretty big story.

Media...they can make or break anyone. A 29 year old good looking female who was a bartender a couple months ago and now is trying to dictate policy to the USA is a pretty big story.
Yes...And once a person crosses into "celebrity" status, forget about it.  I was just talking to a co worker this morning who said she will lose in 2020.  I told him I doubt it.  Never ever underestimate the far reaching power of celebrity in this country, and AOC has crossed into celebrity land.  She will be extremely hard to beat now.

Yes...And once a person crosses into "celebrity" status, forget about it.  I was just talking to a co worker this morning who said she will lose in 2020.  I told him I doubt it.  Never ever underestimate the far reaching power of celebrity in this country, and AOC has crossed into celebrity land.  She will be extremely hard to beat now.
Cortez will never lose again in her district. No dem will run against her and with the district demographics she will be unopposed. 

Same way John Dingell was in Metro-Detroit.  59 years in congress for Dingell who ran unopposed many times, 22 years for Dingell's father before him, and now we have his wife Debbie Dingell.  Could have a century of Dingell's representing the same district in congress.  

Cortez will never lose again in her district. No dem will run against her and with the district demographics she will be unopposed. 

Same way John Dingell was in Metro-Detroit.  59 years in congress for Dingell who ran unopposed many times, 22 years for Dingell's father before him, and now we have his wife Debbie Dingell.  Could have a century of Dingell's representing the same district in congress.  
Sorry....I LOL'd at that.  Sounds dirty

I agree, and it's pretty amazing that it's so easy to make that prediction about somebody who hasn't even turned 30 yet.  She'll be significant figure in the HOR for as long as she wants to be.  It'll be interesting to see if she ever decides to make a run at the senate.  I posted earlier that I think she would be a significant underdog in a statewide election, but who knows how the celebrity factor plays into that.

Well, you’re assuming that she doesn’t change the party in her image, sorta like how Trump was an embarrassment to the GOP until the GOP became the Trump party.

This is anecdotal for sure but my leftist 15 year old daughter is a huge fan.  It seems like younger democrats love her and older Democrats are wary of her.  That suggests her influence may grow over time rather than shrink.
This. AOC isn't playing to the old white guys on a fantasy football message board. A lot of her future national support isn't even eligible to vote yet.

That she does, even a few non kooks, like IK
Who is on tilt?  Mainstream media has been jumping up and down, flailing their arms about her since she pulled the primary upset.  Any posts I've seen in this thread (which is a thread dedicated to her specifically) have been in response to something that is front page news on all stations-not just Fox.  Conservative reactions that I've seen are basically, this is ill-conceived, this lacks any specificity whatsoever, some of the ideas in this thing are really, really questionable.  

I've seen stories that this was supposedly a first draft.  Why would you release a draft?  Why would even a rough draft include things like eliminating air travel?  After the supposed first draft was removed, why have they not distributed the current draft?  

I saw an interview on Tucker with Robert Hockett, Cornell law professor and adviser to Rep. Ocasio-Cortez in which Hockett simply lied and lied again when questioned about stupid policy items like financial stability for those unwilling to work.  He agreed that it was a stupid idea and then insisted that this was never in her plan.  Ever.  He then went on to insist that anything that indicated that kind of policy was definitely a falsified-by-republicans document.  This is verifiably incorrect and he doubles down on it by accusing R's of doctoring the actual document.

The above is not on tilt, at least I don't think so.  IK doesn't appear to be on tilt either.  The folks that are claiming that she is future and is going to reshape the future of this country seem more deluded than anyone on the right.  She's been in office for a few weeks for God's sake.

Who is on tilt?  Mainstream media has been jumping up and down, flailing their arms about her since she pulled the primary upset.  Any posts I've seen in this thread (which is a thread dedicated to her specifically) have been in response to something that is front page news on all stations-not just Fox.  Conservative reactions that I've seen are basically, this is ill-conceived, this lacks any specificity whatsoever, some of the ideas in this thing are really, really questionable.  

I've seen stories that this was supposedly a first draft.  Why would you release a draft?  Why would even a rough draft include things like eliminating air travel?  After the supposed first draft was removed, why have they not distributed the current draft?  

I saw an interview on Tucker with Robert Hockett, Cornell law professor and adviser to Rep. Ocasio-Cortez in which Hockett simply lied and lied again when questioned about stupid policy items like financial stability for those unwilling to work.  He agreed that it was a stupid idea and then insisted that this was never in her plan.  Ever.  He then went on to insist that anything that indicated that kind of policy was definitely a falsified-by-republicans document.  This is verifiably incorrect and he doubles down on it by accusing R's of doctoring the actual document.

The above is not on tilt, at least I don't think so.  IK doesn't appear to be on tilt either.  The folks that are claiming that she is future and is going to reshape the future of this country seem more deluded than anyone on the right.  She's been in office for a few weeks for God's sake.
Wrong

You know, I read stuff like this, and I get the feeling she's a real person honestly interested in solving problems.

Even as I disagree with so many her proposals, even as I think she really screwed up on this New Green Deal presentation, the more I like her. She's genuine.
I agree.  This is the kind of thing that your average person doesn't know about, and it's cool that she brings it to light.

You know, I read stuff like this, and I get the feeling she's a real person honestly interested in solving problems.

Even as I disagree with so many her proposals, even as I think she really screwed up on this New Green Deal presentation, the more I like her. She's genuine.
I respect that. 

I don't think anybody is on tilt. If somebody comes up with good policy proposals, I'm all ears. That release of that document was a really bad one, and I disagree with her platform. I'm certainly not on tilt. I don't think any politician gets us on tilt. We want policy solutions, and good ones.  

That is the kind if tweet that gets both republican and democrat members of congress chapped because it puts their gravy trains in danger. 
Which is exactly why she's such a breath of fresh air. Either she doesn't knows the unwritten rules or she just doesn't G.A.F.  And either one is a great thing.

Wait, she lives in a 2k plus a month luxury apartment and drives a gas powered car. True democrat. Do what I say not what I do. 

If she is like the typical New York than she probably does not even have a driver’s license.
Right, that’s why I’m confused.  She bartended in the Bronx and then moved to DC (probably takes the Metro).  Just curious because he said she drives a gas powered car.  Figured he had an answer. 

You seem like a really smart guy. Have you ever considered leaving the Republican Party?
Honest answer -- My voting patterns have always been "Vote Libertarian, and when Libertarian isn't an option, then vote Republican."  In 2016 I changed that last part to "vote Democrat."  That's not because I agree with Democrat policies necessarily, but because this version of the Republican party needs to be rebuked.  It's also relatively easy for me because I live in a red state and our Democratic candidates for office are still center-right.  

Really though, it's not such that I'm leaving the Republicans as much as it is that the Republicans are leaving me.  (Reagan aphorism).  I've always been opposed to identity politics, and that especially includes the white identity politics that the GOP has catered itself to.

Edit: In 2020, I am extremely likely to vote Libertarian, but I'll probably be pulling for the Democratic nominee.  Honestly though, my support for the D nominee is going to be based on meta issues like civility and reestablishing norms.  I'm not going to fall in love with a D candidate the way that some folks will, and I'll be hotly critical of her/him in spots.

Honest answer -- My voting patterns have always been "Vote Libertarian, and when Libertarian isn't an option, then vote Republican."  In 2016 I changed that last part to "vote Democrat."  That's not because I agree with Democrat policies necessarily, but because this version of the Republican party needs to be rebuked.  It's also relatively easy for me because I live in a red state and our Democratic candidates for office are still center-right.  

Really though, it's not such that I'm leaving the Republicans as much as it is that the Republicans are leaving me.  (Reagan aphorism).  I've always been opposed to identity politics, and that especially includes the white identity politics that the GOP has catered itself to.
I will vote for any candidate who I believe is honest, intelligent, hard working, open minded, and wants to help people. 

Are the Republicans miscalculating here by talking so much about AOC and the Green New Deal? It seems to me that it’s all about messaging. If the message to the public is “look at all these specific radical ideas that AOC has, the Democratic Party is leftist and nuts” then their plan will succeed, and Trump might even be able to use it to win a second term. 

But- if the message becomes “The Green New Deal is a bunch of goals, nothing is set in stone but what it means is we have to do something about climate change” then this is going to blow up in Republicans’ faces, because of their history of denial, and because it’s what the public wants. 

Users who are viewing this thread