What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So how many millions is Kaepernick going to win in his case vs the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the fact that it was a veteran who told Kaepernick he shoild kneel. 

Your entire narrative here is false. 

He did not “disrespect the flag”, he did not “disrespect the troops” and he most certainly did not “disrespect the anthem”

those are Trump admin talking points. If anyone is dividing the fan base, it’s Trump & his cohorts, not Collin Kaepernick.

And ironically, in doing so they’ve amplified the protest significantly. Oops.

Here’s the truth about Kaepernick’s kneeing, and who told him to do so. It’s right there on the google, so I’m not sure why this is difficult.  False narratives don’t serve either side of the debate, so maybe best to stick to the truth? 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/amp/

As I said in the since-deleted topic: whether I agree with Kaepernick’s decision to do this or not, I’m glad we live in a country where our first amendment rights to freedom of speech (including protest) are guaranteed to us by the constitution.

I know a good number of active duty military & veterans (including among my family) and I’ve spoken with pretty much all of them about this, passionate football fan & patriotic American that I am. And every one of them believes in Kaepernick’s right to peaceful protest. Some have said they “fought for his right” to do so. 

Don’t let an Australian (Murdoch/FOX) decide for you what’s patriotic or not. They’re the network pushing the “kneeling is unpatriotic” narrative. Truth is this country was founded on protest.

Unless of course you think the early Americans were actually protesting the tea, and not taxation without representation?   :shrug:
It's high irony when someone accuses another person of regurgitating talking points, and then instantly regurgitates the "You're brainwashed by Fox News" talking point.  Sorry, buddy, you got the wrong, guy.  I don't watch Fox News.

Let's look at your critique of my "talking points":

- I never said that Kaepernick disrespected the troops.  In fact, I think it's ridiculous when people suggest that Kaepernick had that intent or his protest has that effect.  Instead, I rebutted the oft repeated but completely empty bromide that Kap's protest "Has nothing to do with the flag."

You know who told us that Kaepernick's protest has something to do with the flag and not showing pride in it?  Colin Kaepernick.  Any argument otherwise is media spin.  Why would you listen to a third party, agenda driven take on what someone was thinking when that person actually told you what they were thinking?

Sorry, man, looks like you're the one falling for media spin on the point I actually made, rather than the one you bastardized.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's high irony when someone accuses another person of regurgitating talking points, and then instantly regurgitates the "You're brainwashed by Fox News" talking point.  Sorry, buddy, you got the wrong, guy.  I don't watch Fox News.

Let's look at your critique of my "talking points":

- I never said that Kaepernick disrespected the troops.  In fact, I think it's ridiculous when people suggest that Kaepernick had that intent or his protest has that effect.  Instead, I rebutted the oft repeated but completely empty bromide that Kap's protest "Has nothing to do with the flag."

You know who told us that Kaepernick's protest has something to do with the flag and not showing pride in it?  Colin Kaepernick.  Any argument otherwise is media spin.  Why would you listen to a third party, agenda driven take on what someone was thinking when that person actually told you what they were thinking?

Sorry, man, looks like you're the one falling for media spin on the point I actually made, rather than the one you bastardized.
:rolleyes:

New coach, new GM. He was not a good fit for the new offensive scheme they were installing.
This is all very confusing. 

If the very same team he took to a super bowl (and should know him better than anyone else) didn’t think he’d be a good fit for their teams offensive scheme why isn’t it ok for other teams to feel the same way? 

The emoji of someone who doesn't have a logical counter-argument.

Have fun watching today's games.  That's really what this site is about.   :thumbup:
 I made my logical arguments. I even posted links to support them. Then you quoted me and yet somehow missed the point of every single thing I said. 

Just in case you actually want to translation of that emoji. 

But he’s employed by Nike probably making close to what he made in the nfl.

You can make your dumb unemployment line jokes all you want but dude is getting paid and is winning. 
I agree..Kappy is winning..Nike is winning..and cops still kicking ### for 50K a year. Make the best and most $$$ out of a situation.

Except for the fact that it was a veteran who told Kaepernick he shoild kneel. 

Your entire narrative here is false. 

He did not “disrespect the flag”, he did not “disrespect the troops” and he most certainly did not “disrespect the anthem”

those are Trump admin talking points. If anyone is dividing the fan base, it’s Trump & his cohorts, not Collin Kaepernick.

And ironically, in doing so they’ve amplified the protest significantly. Oops.

Here’s the truth about Kaepernick’s kneeing, and who told him to do so. It’s right there on the google, so I’m not sure why this is difficult.  False narratives don’t serve either side of the debate, so maybe best to stick to the truth? 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/amp/

As I said in the since-deleted topic: whether I agree with Kaepernick’s decision to do this or not, I’m glad we live in a country where our first amendment rights to freedom of speech (including protest) are guaranteed to us by the constitution.

I know a good number of active duty military & veterans (including among my family) and I’ve spoken with pretty much all of them about this, passionate football fan & patriotic American that I am. And every one of them believes in Kaepernick’s right to peaceful protest. Some have said they “fought for his right” to do so. 

Don’t let an Australian (Murdoch/FOX) decide for you what’s patriotic or not. They’re the network pushing the “kneeling is unpatriotic” narrative. Truth is this country was founded on protest.

Unless of course you think the early Americans were actually protesting the tea, and not taxation without representation?   :shrug:
When you say he didnt disrespect the flag, anthem or troops you say that like it is a fact.  Just because YOU feel he didnt disrespect any of those things or a veteran you quote thinks he didn't doesn't mean it is a fact that he didn't.  That is 100% an opinion and whether he disrespected those things are all in the eye of the beholder.  Millions of people find the way he went about his protest as disrespectful to the flag, soldiers and the anthem, including many soldiers, so stop passing off your OPINION and the OPINIONS of others as fact.

Also, the first amendment doesnt cover politcal protest from being subject to punishment at a private business.  It just protects you from prosecution from the government for your speech.  If you were to start a political protest at your work that alienated a large percentage of your customers (and thus affected the bottom line profits of that business) do you really think there would be no repurcussions for that political protest from your company?  That is what Kapaernick did.  He engaged in a political protest that had a major negative impact on the profits of the company he worked for.  All 3 other major sports in a America had their TV ratings go UP in the same time frame that NFL ratings took a nosedive since the anthem protests began.  Again, the first amendment protects you from prosecution from the government for your political speech.  It does not in any way protect you from being punished or fired from your job if that political speech negatively affects the company you work for's bottom line, especially if that political speech is conducted while on the job, like Kapaernicks was.

I assume he can submit Nathan Peterman's performance today as evidence to support his case?
Not to mention Deshone Kizer. I mean, the guy goes 0-15 as a starter, throwing 22 INTs with a QB rating of 60.5 and he still has a job? Tonight's performance was spectacularly bad.  

Not to mention Deshone Kizer. I mean, the guy goes 0-15 as a starter, throwing 22 INTs with a QB rating of 60.5 and he still has a job? Tonight's performance was spectacularly bad.  
The fact that the Packers actually traded for him and chose to keep him over Hundley is mind-blowing to me. Hundley isn't great but Kizer is one of the absolute worst QBs in the league. He isn't even worth having from a developmental perspective. 

When you say he didnt disrespect the flag, anthem or troops you say that like it is a fact.  Just because YOU feel he didnt disrespect any of those things or a veteran you quote thinks he didn't doesn't mean it is a fact that he didn't.  That is 100% an opinion and whether he disrespected those things are all in the eye of the beholder.  Millions of people find the way he went about his protest as disrespectful to the flag, soldiers and the anthem, including many soldiers, so stop passing off your OPINION and the OPINIONS of others as fact.
Does posting in all caps make you more correct or something? 

You're new here - try to be polite. 

The fact is that Roza Parks wasn’t protesting the bus, Ghandi wasn’t protesting the food, and Kaepernick & the other players aren’t protesting the anthem or flag. 

He said it clearly: he isn’t standing for the anthem of a country where police brutality against POC continues to be a major issue. 

That isn’t an opinion, it’s the stated cause of the protest and the described vehicle for that protest.

if you insist on spinning the narrative to suit your need to be offended instead of simply acknowledging that maybe he has a point - or even that it’s his right to do so without our wanna be fascist government attempting to stifle him by publicly insulting the players (Trump called them “sons of #####es” & pressured owners to punish players) then you are part of the problem. It’s dishonest and unpatriotic. 

While we’re talking facts, where’s your outrage that the president of the United States doesn’t know the words to the national anthem? 

Where's your outrage that he had to be reminded to cover his heart with his hand (by his immigrant wife)?  

https://youtu.be/ghpNYDi72f0

how about Jerry Jones, Trump’s #1 owner fan who helped to attempt a unilateral policy change for players (until the NFLPA flexed & the owners folded like a cheap suit) - here’s Jerry “respecting” the anthem, flag, & soldiers by wearing his hat & talking during the anthem.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jerry-jones-commits-national-anthem-gaffe-gets-called-out-by-dallas-media-member/

i fully expect you to be equally outraged about that - weird how it’s just when the black people commit a transgression that people get outraged, huh? 

This is why they kneel.

Also, the first amendment doesnt cover politcal protest from being subject to punishment at a private business.  It just protects you from prosecution from the government for your speech. 
Correct - and the president of the United States is a government representative, and he pressured the NFL owners to create policy, while directly insulting the players for it. Thanks for illustrating why that was wrong and citing the 1st amendment.

If you were to start a political protest at your work that alienated a large percentage of your customers (and thus affected the bottom line profits of that business) do you really think there would be no repurcussions for that political protest from your company?  That is what Kapaernick did.  He engaged in a political protest that had a major negative impact on the profits of the company he worked for.  All 3 other major sports in a America had their TV ratings go UP in the same time frame that NFL ratings took a nosedive since the anthem protests began.  Again, the first amendment protects you from prosecution from the government for your political speech.  It does not in any way protect you from being punished or fired from your job if that political speech negatively affects the company you work for's bottom line, especially if that political speech is conducted while on the job, like Kapaernicks was.
That’s all well & good, but it is also not what Kaepernick’s team is suing over.

the 49ers chose not to retain him. That was their prerogative as an employer.

but apparently there’s evidence that teams conspired to prevent his being employed in the future. That’s reportedly what Kaepernkck’s team is suing over.

whether they can prove that or not is a matter for the courts to decide, and time will tell if it’s true or not. 

But misstating the issue doesn’t serve anyone’s interest except right wing trolls who continually attempt to make this about “disrespecting the anthem, soldiers & the flag”.  Which, from day one, it has not been. It’s a preposterous assertion. Just because Tucker Carlson & Sean Hannity have claimed it nightly for 3 years doesn’t make it true. 

And reinforcing that rhetoric with your 8th post here makes me question why you even joined FBG. This is a FFB community you know.  :rolleyes:

True, plus Kaepernick may make even more than $39M from this Nike campaign.
This is a preposterous claim.

He didn’t get paid for that campaign. 

He’s been paid by, and under contract of Nike since 2011.

he hadn’t been used in their marketing for 2 years. 

Please do post a link to Kaepernick receiving “more than 39 million from that campaign”. I’ll wait.

His earnings as a football player were $22M + endorsements. That’s before paying agents, taxes, etc.

And he’s donated nearly 2 million to charity. 

Here’s a partial list: 

October 2016

Silicon Valley De-Bug ($25,000)
Causa Justa/Just Cause ($25,000)
Urban Underground ($25,000)
Mothers Against Police Brutality ($25,000)

November 2016

Black Youth Project (25,000)
Gathering For Justice/Justice League($25,000)
Communities United for Police Reform($25,000)
I Will Not Die Young Campaign ($25,000)

December 2016

UCSF for “The Mni Wiconi Health Clinic Partnership at Standing Rock” ($50,000)
Appetite for Change ($25,000)
Southsiders Organized for Unity and Liberation ($25,000)

January 2017

Black Veterans For Social Justice ($25,000)
350 Global Environmental Organization($25,000)
Center For Reproductive Rights ($25,000)
CHIRLA (Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles) ($25,000)

February 2017

Meals on Wheels ($50,000)
Somalia Famine Relief ($50,000)

March 2017

Life After Hate ($50,000)
Leaders Of A Beautiful Struggle ($25,000)
Silence Is Violence ($25,000)

April 2017

Assata’s Daughters ($25,000)
Helping Oppressed Mothers Endure (H.O.M.E.) ($25,000)
Grassroots Leadership ($25,000)
American Friends Service Committee($25,000)

May 2017

The Dreamville Foundation ($34,000)
Lower East Side Girls Club ($33,000)
100 Suits For 100 Men ($33,000)

June 2017

DREAM (Formerly RBI Harlem) ($25,000)
Coalition For The Homeless ($25,000)
Justice League NYC: War on Children Program ($25,000)
United We Dream ($25,000)

10x10

DeBug San Jose ($20,000 with Kevin Durant)
The Advancement Project ($20,000 with Jesse Williams)
United Playaz ($20,000 with Steph Curry)
Mothers Against Police Brutality ($35,000 with Snoop Dogg)
Imagine LA ($20,000 with Serena Williams)
Angel By Nature ($20,000 with TI)
Schools on Wheels ($30,000 with Chris Brown, Jhene Aiko)
Communities United By Police Reform($40,000 with Nick Cannon, Joey Badass)
Youth Services, Inc. ($20,000 with Meek Mill)
H.O.M.E, linked above ($20,000 with Usher)

Kaepernick is working for a cause he believes in & donating his time & money. 

Tell us - what cause have you spent time working on? What have you donated? 

You’re spinning this narrative that Kaepernick is financially motivated by this.

But the reality is had he not started this movement, he’d likely still be earning millions as an NFL QB. He’d get more endorsements than a 7 year old Nike contract.  

And he’d be catching a lot less grief had he simply gone away and counted his millions already made.

again: whether I agree with the means Kaepernick chose for a protest or not, I respect his right to do so, and I detest those who would attempt to portray it as something it is mot.

it’s 2018 - fact checking is easy. 

RushHour said:

The fact that the Packers actually traded for him and chose to keep him over Hundley is mind-blowing to me. Hundley isn't great but Kizer is one of the absolute worst QBs in the league. He isn't even worth having from a developmental perspective.
Kizer had one good game in 2017. It was against the Packers. That was apparently enough for the Packers to think "Hmmm, maybe he's got more potential than Hundley".

Neither one of them should be a backup to the best QB in the league.

The NFL orchestrating a Kaepernick pro day style event is one of the stranger things I have seen the league do. It’s clearly a P.R. move to make the league look better. 

Realistically, what is the point? Teams have been able to bring him in for a tryout or sign him for two and a half years. 

Equally surprising is the talk of which teams are in the running to sign him. Does anyone think Kaep running around in shorts and a tee shirt throwing a few passes is going to convince a team to sign him? The day before Week 11 games? This whole thing is very odd. 

The NFL orchestrating a Kaepernick pro day style event is one of the stranger things I have seen the league do. It’s clearly a P.R. move to make the league look better. 

Realistically, what is the point? Teams have been able to bring him in for a tryout or sign him for two and a half years. 

Equally surprising is the talk of which teams are in the running to sign him. Does anyone think Kaep running around in shorts and a tee shirt throwing a few passes is going to convince a team to sign him? The day before Week 11 games? This whole thing is very odd. 
Bizarro world. 

This makes a lot of sense for Kaepernick.  He can show the teams that are interested what condition he is in.  He won't have to travel around to individual teams just for them to kick the tires and say they are not interested.  He is a mobile quarterback and teams are coveting mobile quarterbacks right now.  He has probably had suitors all along if he had been willing to play for a low wage.

I've seen speculation that there are one or two teams who have been wanting to try him out or even sign him, but the league is worried about the reaction of the fanbase. So by having a 32-team workout they can all see how he looks without suffering any poor optics (from the point of view of those particular fans the league is worried about) and then if he's signed, well...there was a lot of interest at the workout, don't you want your team trying to win??

Who knows if that's true at all.

This makes a lot of sense for Kaepernick.  He can show the teams that are interested what condition he is in.  He won't have to travel around to individual teams just for them to kick the tires and say they are not interested.  He is a mobile quarterback and teams are coveting mobile quarterbacks right now.  He has probably had suitors all along if he had been willing to play for a low wage.
He won't play for a low wage, and he will fail the interview portion of this. I think Nike is somehow involved in this circus.

BassNBrew said:
He’s not good but there are a lot of guys who aren’t good getting PT.  I think it’s a pay issue
You could have rusty Kaep with a high salary and the circus, or wait for Mariota to become available and have the same player. 

Regardless of whether he really wants to play or not or has a realistic chance to play or not, publicity and staying relevant is the straw that stirs the drink. It doesn't matter who you are or why you are out of the game. The game (broadly speaking) will forget about you and it happens quickly. Ray Rice, Dez, Kaep, even AB, they will all become (as the song says) just somebody that we used to know. Kaep can certainly remain focused on charities and causes but he can have a lot more impact in those arenas if he is "current".

If he really wants to play again he's got to do three things:

1. Be in great shape and look sharp in this workout
  2. Be willing to play on a league minimum, 1 year "prove it" contract
  3. Agree to keep as a low profile as possible (not become a distraction)
Even with that hes been out of the league 3 years.  That is a long time.

Why are my league mates wasting faab on this guy?  Like 25 percent.  Lol. 

This is the dumbest thing ever.  Any team could have signed Kaepernick at any time.  Any team could have brought him in for a workout. 

This whole story is stupid.  What, are we not getting those clicks after the AB drama died down? 

Whole thing is a total sham by the nfl. People predictably falling in line with it, naturally. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/just-like-nf-ls-deal-with-jay-z-the-colin-kaepernick-workout-looks-like-a-pr-trap-063844304.html
The workout is a bit of a joke anyway... it was never about physical skills with this guy.

Just my opinion (hunch) that there are teams with serious interest in Kaep, but cannot afford to have a media circus at their facility. So they cooked this neutral location BS up with the NFL and are probably sending hired consultants to this ####show on Saturday to have a look-see (if it happens).

Who gives a ####?

Maybe they should start playing the Anthem after the games and see how many "patriots" stick around to sing along.
I do. I'm curious whether he just did it on TV when he was getting paid. Thanks for offering some insight.

The workout is a bit of a joke anyway... it was never about physical skills with this guy.

Just my opinion (hunch) that there are teams with serious interest in Kaep, but cannot afford to have a media circus at their facility. So they cooked this neutral location BS up with the NFL and are probably sending hired consultants to this ####show on Saturday to have a look-see (if it happens).

True, but I'm sure they would want to see how much rust there is. He's 32 years old, guys start losing a step.

That being said, I dont think teams are very interested. Despite the recent lovefest over Kaeps career, the numbers are pretty mediocre to bad. He had a great early couple seasons, then really fell off. His td/int ratio is the only thing that really stands out positively, but he fumbled a crazy amount, which offsets a lot of that (Kaep held the ball way to long and took a ton of sacks which leads to fumbles). Why would you pay a veteran to show up late in the season at essentially replacement level for a guy you're benching, circus aside? And its going to cause distractions in your locker room one way or the other. The truth is if Kaepernick was a top 15/20 type talent, he'd have a job already. But he's replacement level talent, so why take that with all the potential baggage when you can just go get a guy.

From what I've read about this work out - nfl calling up Kap and telling him it's Saturday or never when most workouts are on Tuesdays, not giving him a week to get himself or nfl teams ready - it seems like the league is giving him the shaft with the whole thing in order to say "look we tried but nobody wanted him."

It stinks and just makes me hate Goodell more.

From what I've read about this work out - nfl calling up Kap and telling him it's Saturday or never when most workouts are on Tuesdays, not giving him a week to get himself or nfl teams ready - it seems like the league is giving him the shaft with the whole thing in order to say "look we tried but nobody wanted him."

You know teams work guys out every Tuesday right?

And that every team has every chance to invite whoever they want to these workouts right?

You know teams work guys out every Tuesday right?

And that every team has every chance to invite whoever they want to these workouts right?

And yet the teams interested in Kaep called the league office rather than his agents, which led to this...because they're cowards and want cover from any ignorant fans they have. 

You're indignant at the wrong people here. 

Sorry, it's not possible to hate Goodell more.  Everyone already knows the 35 million a year guy is no good.

Assuming there are interested teams...
I'm sure there are several teams interested in signing him to a prove it deal, and zero teams willing to pay him even 25 percent of what he is asking for.

Same as it was 3 years ago or whenever this side show started. 

I'm sure there are several teams interested in signing him to a prove it deal, and zero teams willing to pay him even 25 percent of what he is asking for.

Same as it was 3 years ago or whenever this side show started. 
bingo. 

He wants elite money and a starting job. Only problem is he’s just not that good :lol:  

Deep down he knows that and these ridiculous asks are a way of ensuring he doesn’t actually HAVE to play anymore.

Only problem is he’s just not that good :lol:  
I keep seeing people repeat this over and over. In his 11 starts in '16 he had thrown for 2200 yds, 16 TDs and 4 INT with another 460 yds rushing and 2 TDs. On a terrible team with Jeremy Kerley and Quinton Patton as his best WRs.

The year before that, when he was injured, was the only year his passer rating was under 86 and it was over 90 every other year.

Passing-wise he has thrown 72TDs to 30INTs.

I'm pretty sure revisionist history is in play here.

I keep seeing people repeat this over and over. In his 11 starts in '16 he had thrown for 2200 yds, 16 TDs and 4 INT with another 460 yds rushing and 2 TDs. On a terrible team with Jeremy Kerley and Quinton Patton as his best WRs.

The year before that, when he was injured, was the only year his passer rating was under 86 and it was over 90 every other year.

Revisionist history in the form of looking at stats and forgetting the context.  Ryan Tannehill has similar passer rating numbers to Kaepernick. 

Tannehill will command backup money, but not starter money.  Kaep wouldn't have had any problem finding a team if he didn't want 20 plus million per year. 

Revisionist history in the form of looking at stats and forgetting the context.  Ryan Tannehill has similar passer rating numbers to Kaepernick. 

Tannehill will command backup money, but not starter money.  Kaep wouldn't have had any problem finding a team if he didn't want 20 plus million per year. 
Plus, for the gazillionth time, teams don’t want the circus that comes with Kap

It really shouldn’t be so difficult to understand. He’s not good enough to be worth it

Well since you brought up his passer rating....

in 2013 he finished one spot ahead of Sam Bradford.

in 2014 he finished two spots below Mark Sanchez.

in 2015 he finished four spots below Blaine Gabbert.... with the same roster.

in 2016 he finished 5 spots below Ryan Tannehill. 

.... With that resume you shouldn't be opting out of $15mil/season. Most of those guys with roughly the same passer rating have struggled to hold onto a job in the league without any of the off-field distraction. We don't know what he was expecting or has been asking for BUT we do know what he gave up to become a FA and find out what his true market value was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread