What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Justice Hill, BAL (2 Viewers)

rockaction said:
I was supposed to join a dynasty this year, but the spot closed, so I'm all redraft again. 
Tried to send pm didn't work, sorry for thread hijack. We have a few openings in my dynasty league. If you're interested let me know.

Tried to send pm didn't work, sorry for thread hijack. We have a few openings in my dynasty league. If you're interested let me know.
Thanks, man. That would be cool, but I only play for free, as I'm one of those weird ones who won't gamble on this (or anything). I'm not religious, I just don't for my own personal reasons. Thanks, though. If it's free, I'm a conscientious owner and know a bit about the game. I try and keep up with the SP and player movement within and relevant to the NFL. 

Also, thanks for the heads up on the PM. I need to check my inbox. 

eta* Inbox cleared to 72%. You can PM me if you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Preston’s observations on Ravens’ Justice Hill, under-the-radar performers, passing game and more (August 1st)

Excerpt:

It looks like rookie running back Justice Hill might become a bigger weapon than expected for the Ravens this season.

Hill, a fourth-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State, was expected to be used primarily as a pass catcher out of the backfield on third-and-long situations. But he could also be used as a change-of-pace back in the second half or as a decoy.

Ideally, the Ravens want to pound the football, and they have two good downhill runners in Mark Ingram II and Gus Edwards. But if the Ravens get a lead and can wear teams down, that might be a great time to use Hill.

The kid has good speed and the ability to get to the line of scrimmage or into a hole and bounce outside. He looks smaller than the 5 feet 10 and 200 pounds he is listed at on the team roster, but he might give the Ravens a weapon they haven’t had at running back since the days of Ray Rice.

Travis May @FF_TravisM

Justice Hill was able to squat 565 pounds weighing just 195 pounds two years ago.

He posted 91st% 40, 94th% Vert, 97th% Broad this spring.

Hill is going to burn some defenders in the #NFL. #Ravens

Justice Hill rushed 10 times for 49 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason game against the Packers.

Hill was not targeted in the passing game. He was also the third running back into the game after Mark Ingram and Kenneth Dixon, notching zero touches while Lamar Jackson was still under center. The No. 113 overall pick did show some serious juice on his handles. He still has a real chance at carving out a weekly change-of-pace role behind Ingram.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:50 PM ET

He is a guy I just have to get late in drafts. I don't think Dixon is a threat to him at all. 
He is intriguing. Don’t read into the Dixon playing ahead of him stuff. Dixon is reportedly on the roster bubble and I’m certain the coaches wanted to see him on the field early to gather info on that. Hill brings something to the table that no other back on the team does which is elusiveness in the open field and surprisingly in traffic as well. It’s only been 2 preseason games but I can already think of 4 plays he made that made me take notice. Last night there were 3 times he should have been tackled for a loss (including at the goal line) but somehow he found his way out and got positive yards. He’s slippery with surprising power and good contact balance. And then if anyone hasn’t seen the burst and wiggle he showed on his reception vs the Jags week 1 check it out. 

He is intriguing. Don’t read into the Dixon playing ahead of him stuff. Dixon is reportedly on the roster bubble and I’m certain the coaches wanted to see him on the field early to gather info on that. Hill brings something to the table that no other back on the team does which is elusiveness in the open field and surprisingly in traffic as well. It’s only been 2 preseason games but I can already think of 4 plays he made that made me take notice. Last night there were 3 times he should have been tackled for a loss (including at the goal line) but somehow he found his way out and got positive yards. He’s slippery with surprising power and good contact balance. And then if anyone hasn’t seen the burst and wiggle he showed on his reception vs the Jags week 1 check it out. 
Awesome. The big question is how does this impact the value of Ingram? Any thoughts. 

Awesome. The big question is how does this impact the value of Ingram? Any thoughts. 
probably not significantly

they paid up for ingram, id think that he would be the lead/early down guy most of the time and hill will get some reps in those spots when ingram needs a breather

Agree with the guy below your post (other than the paying up for Ingram part, it’s a cheap contract with an out after 2 years).  Ingram is the preferred early down option and the best in pass pro. His touches seem pretty much guaranteed. Hill and Edwards should get a few touches.

If Hill excels I could see Gio Bernard like situation his rookie year where you have a small ish rookie flashing with a veteran in front of him. Gio only had the Law Firm of BJGE to contend with though. Ingram is better than BJGE and Edwards is there to work in a little too. Limits his upside this year unless he can completely make Edwards irrelevant or someone gets hurt. 

Really starting to talk myself into taking him at 1.11

Thee one and only negative I can come up with is his “size” but the kid has plenty of lower body strength, and a frame that could add ~10lbs once in an NFL training regiment.

i just keep seeing Kamara while I watch his “tape”. 

I know 1.11 is early. But I do not own a 2nd rounder this year, and the options at 1.11 are seemingly going to be WR’s that I’m just not that excited about.

i like deebo. But still, RB’s are always scarce - and hitting on the next Kamara type back is priceless.

That ravens offense really has a chance to be explosive, if not this year, then the next. Progression from Lamar Jackson, the steady grinder in Ingram? Pair hat with Hill and the young WR’s sounds like it could be really fun if they implement the right offense.

draft is Tuesday. As of right now, justice hill is my 1.11

Thee one and only negative I can come up with is his “size” but the kid has plenty of lower body strength, and a frame that could add ~10lbs once in an NFL training regiment.

I know 1.11 is early. But I do not own a 2nd rounder this year, and the options at 1.11 are seemingly going to be WR’s that I’m just not that excited about.

i like deebo. But still, RB’s are always scarce - and hitting on the next Kamara type back is priceless.

That ravens offense really has a chance to be explosive, if not this year, then the next. Progression from Lamar Jackson, the steady grinder in Ingram? Pair hat with Hill and the young WR’s sounds like it could be really fun if they implement the right offense.

His size and draft position are really the only negatives.

I was able to get him late in one of my league's drafts.  If he's Kamara lite I'd be ecstatic.

Trade down then take him? Everyone gets the Kamara tag these days but I agree with you here. The play against the Jags looked so much like Kamara. I think he has similar contact balance and burst. Now you bring up a good point about his size. He looks skinny. Kamara moves like he does and walks through tackles at 215. Justice is only 200 but still just 21. He could add a few pounds. Maybe get to 207-210. Also he can catch the ball but no idea if he can run downfield routes and catch the ball like Kamara. Finally, Kamara is in a sweet spot in Payton’s system. Kamara may not be Kamara somewhere else. Lots to consider. Shoot your shot though if you can’t move down and that’s your guy.

I'm thinking about taking him at 9, mostly because I'm not enamored by any of the other options. I own Ingram and Gus, and Baltimore is maybe the only backfield in the NFL I wouldn't mind locking up with 3 roster spots. Plus, Hill is showing he might have a higher ceiling than anticipated. 

I know it wasn’t against starters or anything but he’s got something imo. 
He has really good burst.

I was just watching the highlight clip again the play at 1:18 we discussed earlier this year. Watching at half speed you can see Hill take these really long explosive steps that allows him to cover a lot of space almost instantly. You cant slow down the play in the twitter feed, but I am guessing if I could I am going to see a similar thing. The defender does make a diving tackle attempt at Hill after he catches the ball. But Hill is able to use that long step to just clear the angle and the defender is getting nothing but air. It is an impressive demonstration of burst as he had to turn back to catch the ball, then turn back upfield and hit the after burner right away to clear that first tackler.

Some RB can't do that nearly as well.

The post about his leg strength speaks to this somewhat. Hill has very good burst. I think its his best trait.

I think he needs to learn how to change his speed with footwork and be more paitent with setting up blocking, but when you have burst like Hill does and I can sort of understand just running full speed all the time.

surprised there isn't more talk about him in redraft this year by now.  Ingram is definitely the starter and does have a 3 down skill set, but Balt is one of the most run heavy teams in the league now, and I bet you L-Jax would love to be able to check down to a jitterbug like hill and watch him take a screen pass to the house.  Pads stats for the qb on high % throws.  I can see hill carving out a james white sort of role over the season.  

I have 1.12 and 2.2.   I would like to get two of Singletary, hill or mattison.   I currently have them ranked in that order anyways, hoping it works out I get the first two.

I am assuming Henderson, Harris and one of the above will be taken before I pick.

I LOVE hill at the end of the first anyways, and also will be taking a couple shots in the later rounds of redraft and see what shakes.

I have 1.12 and 2.2.   I would like to get two of Singletary, hill or mattison.   I currently have them ranked in that order anyways, hoping it works out I get the first two.

I am assuming Henderson, Harris and one of the above will be taken before I pick.

I LOVE hill at the end of the first anyways, and also will be taking a couple shots in the later rounds of redraft and see what shakes.
Interesting. Have you always preferred Damien Harris to Hill? Or just because of the most recent preseason game of his? 

Hill has looked good in preseason but this is a case where you don't want to overweight preseason performance.  The starter is Ingram and that isn't going to change unless he gets injured.  Can Hill carve out enough touches/receptions to be relevant short of an injury? I doubt it.

rickyg said:
surprised there isn't more talk about him in redraft this year by now.  Ingram is definitely the starter and does have a 3 down skill set, but Balt is one of the most run heavy teams in the league now, and I bet you L-Jax would love to be able to check down to a jitterbug like hill and watch him take a screen pass to the house.  Pads stats for the qb on high % throws.  I can see hill carving out a james white sort of role over the season.  
Maybe. I've heard several people make the argument that scrambling QBs are less likely to give targets to RBs because those short dumpoffs are the plays where mobile QBs will tuck it and run. 

Maybe. I've heard several people make the argument that scrambling QBs are less likely to give targets to RBs because those short dumpoffs are the plays where mobile QBs will tuck it and run. 
Also, when a defense is set up to take away the edge from a fast, running quarterback, they are also in perfect position to tackle a running back who gets a screen pass.

az_prof said:
Hill has looked good in preseason but this is a case where you don't want to overweight preseason performance.  The starter is Ingram and that isn't going to change unless he gets injured.  Can Hill carve out enough touches/receptions to be relevant short of an injury? I doubt it.
If hill breaks a couple big plays early in the season he will force them to give him more carries

mozzy84 said:

Harris has been going mid second in recent drafts.  You can count on him being available when you pick 

Also, when a defense is set up to take away the edge from a fast, running quarterback, they are also in perfect position to tackle a running back who gets a screen pass.
This really depends on how the defense reacts to the QB and how the QB responds to the defender.

If the player that was covering the RB in the flat steps up to make a play on the QB, it allows the RB to leak out and get open.

If the player that was covering the RB in the flat doesn't step up to make a play on the QB, then the best move for the QB is to just tuck it and run and allow the RB to block for him.

Maybe I’m mistaken ... but I thought there was a list of “Broken tackle leaders” or some sort of “most elusive” list that was posted in this board?

i thought it was in this thread, and Justice Hill was on the list with the likes of Saqoun and Kareem Hunt. But I guess not.

does anyone recall that post? 

During our rookie draft, I got sorta mocked about taking Hill at the 1.11

looking for that list to post in our group chat lol.

maybe is wasn’t even hill on the list? 

@Faust maybe you can help? 

@Ray Barboni - sounds like an article from PFF.

I haven’t found anything specific to Justice Hill just yet - but I will keep looking.

The closest matches that I could find in short order:

2019 draft class rookie running back fantasy rankings

Using forced missed tackles to evaluate this year's RB draft class for fantasy
You’re the man Faust ...

i want to say it was a link to a twitter post that this list was on.

Showed some stat of elusiveness, or most broken tackle percentage over a college career.

Dont work too hard on it buddy, just trying to rub some dirt in my league mates faces after laughing at the 1.11 Hill pick.

He has really good burst.

I was just watching the highlight clip again the play at 1:18 we discussed earlier this year. Watching at half speed you can see Hill take these really long explosive steps that allows him to cover a lot of space almost instantly. You cant slow down the play in the twitter feed, but I am guessing if I could I am going to see a similar thing. The defender does make a diving tackle attempt at Hill after he catches the ball. But Hill is able to use that long step to just clear the angle and the defender is getting nothing but air. It is an impressive demonstration of burst as he had to turn back to catch the ball, then turn back upfield and hit the after burner right away to clear that first tackler.

Some RB can't do that nearly as well.

The post about his leg strength speaks to this somewhat. Hill has very good burst. I think its his best trait.

I think he needs to learn how to change his speed with footwork and be more paitent with setting up blocking, but when you have burst like Hill does and I can sort of understand just running full speed all the time.
Excellent post.

I’m all over him in redraft. When have you seen him going? I will be reaching for him. FBG has his ADP at 175. I’m fine taking him in the 15th. 

Elevencents said:
I’m all over him in redraft. When have you seen him going? I will be reaching for him. FBG has his ADP at 175. I’m fine taking him in the 15th. 
I picked him up as an FA after my draft.  Dropped stills for him.  

Drafts are dynamic so we’ll see how it goes but my rough plan for lottery tickets (IF they last):

11th Singletary 

12th Harris (least desirable of these rn)

13th Mattison

14th Hill

15th Thompson (I may have to take him in 12th)

Gonna be some helium to a few of those this weekend so like all battle plans it’ll go out the window once the billets start flying.

ESPN's Jamison Hensley believes Ravens rookie RB Justice Hill "has all the makings of being that third-down, change-of-pace back to complement Mark Ingram."

Hill's size (5'10/198) may prevent him from being an NFL workhorse, but he has awesome burst (4.40 speed with a 40-inch vertical) and was comfortable as a receiver during his time at Oklahoma State, when he took over Chris Carson's starting job as an 18-year-old. This preseason, Hill has primarily run with the second-team, but he likely earned more first-team reps with last his preseason performance. In this run-heavy Ravens offense, there are touches to go around, making Hill a target towards the end of fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 22, 2019, 10:31 AM ET

Do I have these right? For redraft, if there round 10 and after (12 tm full PPR)

Thompson

Singletary

Hill

Harris (IDK his role)

Mattison

Ty Johnson

Do I have these right? For redraft, if there round 10 and after (12 tm full PPR)

Thompson

Singletary

Hill

Harris (IDK his role)

Mattison

Ty Johnson
That’s where I am as of today.   I flip flop Singletary and hill around a lot between the two.  Singletary probably had a clearer path to fantasy points in redraft IMO.  

For redraft? Interesting
Yes, in redraft. Here's my thoughts:

- Great tape, people who watched him in college liked him. Waldman said he has shades of Reggie Bush (who came into the league a decade too early), Brett Kollman had him as RB2 in the class

- He's also a hit with the metrics guys. 4.40 at the combine, playerprofiler has him with 95th percentile burst.

- Had the college production. Above average target share, 632 career carries, 49 catches, was a starter at age 18 getting double the amount of carries as 22 year old senior Chris Carson. 

- Steady buzz all through off-season

- While the preseason stats aren't there, everyone thinks he looks explosive and people have been impressed by his balance and tackle breaking

- Plays on the run heaviest offense in the NFL with a mobile QB who could create wide lanes for him. 

- The guy in front of him is a 30 year old RB who has a lengthy injury history and has  been busted for PED use. 

I think he has massive potential. 

Good case @Ilov80s. I was aware of Waldman & Kollman takes as I like both; not sure if Matt ranks his RSP but a week or two ago he was on Harris and said Thompson was his favorite rookie RB outside of Jacobs, but he added the caveat “for dynasty, not redraft.” This was before Reed said rbbc on the radio show, before he moved ahead of Hyde, before he was seen running GL sets with the 1s.

I suspect I can get either Thompson + Hill or Singletary + Hill, but doubtful I’ll get all 3. I might have 8-9 RBs in our 18 round draft because I’ll pick up my K & DST on Thursday 9/5.

Users who are viewing this thread