What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (3 Viewers)

Right. But right now Football Outsiders has Miami with a  34% chance of going to the playoffs. Why play this year to wait and see? They could let him soak it in from the bench while a competent QB leads their team (not that Tua isn't competent, but Fitz surely is right now) into possible contention. 
Not to turn this into the Tua thread but the reasons I see is that Tua has been doing really well in practice, he's the future, and they know they are not as competitive as they should be. Very realistic approach. They have an outside chance to win sure, Buffalo is likely to win the division, the Pats are the Pats, and they all get free wins against the Jets. It's a team that knows themselves. Fantasy players piss me off when they hold onto 28 year old RB's who are top producers and they're 2-6. Know your team. Flores does and he's preparing for the future while likely playing their best chance to win as well since Tua is ready to go. 

Not to turn this into the Tua thread but the reasons I see is that Tua has been doing really well in practice, he's the future, and they know they are not as competitive as they should be. Very realistic approach. They have an outside chance to win sure, Buffalo is likely to win the division, the Pats are the Pats, and they all get free wins against the Jets. It's a team that knows themselves. Fantasy players piss me off when they hold onto 28 year old RB's who are top producers and they're 2-6. Know your team. Flores does and he's preparing for the future while likely playing their best chance to win as well since Tua is ready to go. 
It's pretty easy. Fitz wasn't feeding the Unicorn. You can't have a unicorn in your stable and not feed it! Bring on the Tua!

Preston Williams caught 2-of-5 targets for 15 yards in the Dolphins' Week 8 win over the Rams.

The five targets were second on the team to Myles Gaskin's six on a day Tua Tagovailoa attempted 22 passes -- competing 12 -- in his first NFL start. Williams should be considered nothing more than a WR4/5 until we see Tua do more with the offense. The Cardinals are up next in Week 9.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty nice day 4/5 60yds and a TD. How'd he look? I had to work all day and I got home, saw the stat line, and came straight in here. Maybe he even does more with a few minutes left. 

I traded him away in 1 league, so obviously he has a good game right? Should I keep trading him away every week? I have 9 dynasty leagues, own him in 7 more, I could get you to week 16 that way. 

Pretty nice day 4/5 60yds and a TD. How'd he look? I had to work all day and I got home, saw the stat line, and came straight in here. Maybe he even does more with a few minutes left. 

I traded him away in 1 league, so obviously he has a good game right? Should I keep trading him away every week? I have 9 dynasty leagues, own him in 7 more, I could get you to week 16 that way. 
He was carted to the locker room. Not sure he returned. 

He left with an injury, haven't heard any details.

Bad injury by his own team mate Wilkins after he scored the TD, he never saw the 2nd Half and it looked like he might miss some time

Dolphins placed WR Preston Williams (foot) on injured reserve.

This rules out Williams for at least the next three weeks. It's possible he's sidelined more than the minimum, but the Dolphins expect him to return this season. The loss of Williams means larger roles for DeVante Parker and Mike Gesicki. Miami could look to add Antoino Callaway to the active roster this week.

Nov 11, 2020, 9:31 AM ET

Incredible, breakout game last year and injured.  Breakout game this year and injured (by a teammate no less).
I still think it could have been on the tackle.  The defender was holding the lower leg/foot and he twisted diving into the EZ.  Getting jumped on by a 300# teammate certainly didn't help (might have made it worse) but I'm not sure that was the ONLY cause of the injury.  If it was, that #### has got to stop.

I still think it could have been on the tackle.  The defender was holding the lower leg/foot and he twisted diving into the EZ.  Getting jumped on by a 300# teammate certainly didn't help (might have made it worse) but I'm not sure that was the ONLY cause of the injury.  If it was, that #### has got to stop.
Flores says Preston was injured on the TD, not the celebration. Is he covering for Wilkins? Maybe.

Flores says Preston was injured on the TD, not the celebration. Is he covering for Wilkins? Maybe.
Watch the tackle around the 1:35-1:40 mark here.  Defender is holding his foot and they both do a full twist.  That was my guess as to where it happened (or at least started)

Watch the tackle around the 1:35-1:40 mark here.  Defender is holding his foot and they both do a full twist.  That was my guess as to where it happened (or at least started)
I mean this seems bizarre that it's even a talking point.  He got up after the TD, danced, walked around fine, huge smile on his face, etc.

Then Wilkins jumps on him and you can see him kind of tweak his leg, and then he's immediately hopping on one foot and limping.

Pretty obviously injured on the celebration, even if Flores is trying to save face for his guy.

Is he a drop in redraft? 12 team 20 man PPR roster. Any idea about his injury past the 3 weeks? That puts us in the week 13-14 window, primed for the playoffs with opponents such as Bengals, Chiefs, Patriots and Raiders. 

What are you guys doing? Thinking? Drop for Reynolds or Pittman? Ahmed or Ballage? .... or keep?

Is he a drop in redraft? 12 team 20 man PPR roster. Any idea about his injury past the 3 weeks? That puts us in the week 13-14 window, primed for the playoffs with opponents such as Bengals, Chiefs, Patriots and Raiders. 

What are you guys doing? Thinking? Drop for Reynolds or Pittman? Ahmed or Ballage? .... or keep?
I've dropped in a few places. Needed wins now and he may or may not help me if I get to the dance. 

I think Reynolds and Pittman were on par with him to begin with. Let's not forget Unicorn was having a tough year before Tua.

I guess it all depends what you need and how you think Williams will come back. I'd drop for Pittman for sure, Reynolds maybe. But that's just me. One's a rook and one barely won the third receiver job from Van Jefferson (another rook).

Has anyone heard any news on whether Preston Williams can return yet this season.  What was the extent of his injury?

Has anyone heard any news on whether Preston Williams can return yet this season.  What was the extent of his injury?
No news here. That injury just looked bad when it happened. Christian Wilkins rode the guy's back while he was jumping up and down and he immediately went down and hobbled to the sidelines. I'll scour the web for something on it.

eta* Flores called it "more significant than we thought" when he was asked about it on Nov. 11th.

eta2* And they're insisting he got hurt on the tackle, but he got right up and started a group dance celebration with no problem. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this sounds like a circle the wagons type of thing with respect to team and media knowledge.

No news here. That injury just looked bad when it happened. Christian Wilkins rode the guy's back while he was jumping up and down and he immediately went down and hobbled to the sidelines. I'll scour the web for something on it.

eta* Flores called it "more significant than we thought" when he was asked about it on Nov. 11th.

eta2* And they're insisting he got hurt on the tackle, but he got right up and started a group dance celebration with no problem. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this sounds like a circle the wagons type of thing with respect to team and media knowledge.
Twitter a week ago

Maybe for the playoffs but NFL Playoffs, doesn't seem likely for any FF purposes in 2020, that's my opinion based on anything I've seen. 

Twitter a week ago

Maybe for the playoffs but NFL Playoffs, doesn't seem likely for any FF purposes in 2020, that's my opinion based on anything I've seen. 
Thank you!  Dr. Jene Bramel brought up Williams' name in the most recent Footballguys Waiver Wire Podcast, indicating Williams is eligible to return this week, but the Dolphins would not comment on his status.  I have found no specific information regarding Preston Williams' recovery or expected return date.  I have drawn the same conclusion as you, but I have been holding out some hope that we might see Williams return soon.  I am not relying upon Williams for my fantasy playoffs, but, as a dynasty owner, it would be nice to see Williams and Tua develop the chemistry that appeared to be there prior to the sprained foot that has sidelined Williams. 

ESPN's Cameron Wolfe said there's "no guarantee" Preston Williams (foot) plays again this season. 

Williams was placed on injured reserve in early November after being carted off the field in Week 9 against the Cardinals. Wolfe reiterated that Williams' injury "wasn't minor," adding that "maybe there's hope" for a late December return for the wideout. DeVante Parker, just as he did in 2019, has become a target hog with Williams sidelined, commanding a 30 percent target share and dominating air yards for the Dolphins. Parker could shape up as a league winner in the season's final weeks if Ryan Fitzpatrick remains under center for the Dolphins. Tua Tagovailoa's return would be a massive downgrade for Parker and the rest of the Miami offense. 

RELATED: 

DeVante Parker

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Dec 4, 2020, 5:49 PM ET

Is my dream dying before my eyes? I never even got a real shot at watching him grow and getting enough playing time to really develop. I hope it's not over, but the Will Fuller signing isn't a great sign, nor is what Bowden could be. 

I do still believe in the talent, more so than I believe in Parker. But the issue is going to be health. 

Zyphros said:
Is my dream dying before my eyes? I never even got a real shot at watching him grow and getting enough playing time to really develop. I hope it's not over, but the Will Fuller signing isn't a great sign, nor is what Bowden could be. 

I do still believe in the talent, more so than I believe in Parker. But the issue is going to be health
Perhaps between Fuller and Parker, the Dolphins can cobble together a full season.  I agree that the Fuller signing casts an ominous shadow on Parker's fantasy value, but it is only a one-year contract, and Fuller has battled his own injury problems.

Dolphins WR Preston Williams (foot) is expected to be ready for Week 1. 

That's "if not long before." Williams has been on the field for Dolphins voluntary OTAs. The 2019 UDFA has flashed major upside, but it's possible his moment in the Dolphins' receiver corps has already come and gone. Williams suffered a torn ACL as a rookie before his foot limited him to only eight games in 2020. The Dolphins have since invested major resources in their receiver corps, signing Will Fuller and using the No. 6 overall pick on Jaylen Waddle. 6-foot-5 Williams could still be a potential force on the outside and in the red zone, but WR4 target share probably will not be there in 2021. 

SOURCE: Barry Jackson on Twitter 

May 26, 2021, 1:42 PM ET

If he does turn into something, it won't be while still on the Dolphins. Maybe he gets traded/cut in training camp and lands with a WR needy team, like the Falcons post-Julio. 

If he does turn into something, it won't be while still on the Dolphins. Maybe he gets traded/cut in training camp and lands with a WR needy team, like the Falcons post-Julio. 
It's tough to see the dolphins cutting a cheap young WR who has produced. I think he'll stick on the roster this year, and probably in 2022 as an RFA if he shows any life this year. 

There's probably a lot more opportunity in 2022 in Miami though. Fuller and Gesicki may very well have signed elsewhere next offseason. 

It's tough to see the dolphins cutting a cheap young WR who has produced. I think he'll stick on the roster this year, and probably in 2022 as an RFA if he shows any life this year. 

There's probably a lot more opportunity in 2022 in Miami though. Fuller and Gesicki may very well have signed elsewhere next offseason. 
Exactly. I think one of Parker or Gesicki is gone in 2022.

Dolphins placed WR Preston Williams on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

It's been a rough start for Williams' 2021 campaign. The veteran, recovering from a foot injury that ended his 2020 season, was placed on the Dolphins' PUP list last week -- now he's on the COVID list. If Williams is ever able to get off various reserve lists, he'll be the team's No. 4 wideout behind Will Fuller, Jaylen Waddle, and DeVante Parker. Williams won't be fantasy relevant unless Miami struggles with a rash of wideout injuries. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 2, 2021, 11:19 AM ET

Dolphins activated WR Preston Williams from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Miami also activated TEs Cethan Carter and Adam Shaheen from the COVID list, but starter Mike Gesicki remains out due to virus-related protocols. Williams is still recovering from foot surgery, and his PUP designation raises questions about when he'll be ready for action. Even once he is healthy, he may struggle to earn playing time in a suddenly crowded Dolphins receiving corps.

RELATED: 

Cethan Carter

, Adam Shaheen

Aug 5, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

Dolphins WR Preston Williams (foot) is questionable for Week 1 against the Patriots.

It's significant since Will Fuller is knowingly out for Week 1 due to suspension. If Williams can't go, the Dolphins' thin depth chart will look to rookie Jaylen Waddle, veteran DeVante Parker, and Albert Wilson in 11 personnel against New England's revamped defensive unit. It's a nightmarish matchup regardless of Williams' status.

SOURCE: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Sep 10, 2021, 3:52 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Preston Williams (foot) is not expected to play Week 1 against the Patriots.

Williams still isn't over the season-ending foot issue that struck him midseason last year. He needed surgery and still isn't 100%. With Williams likely to sit, it'll be DeVante Parker, first-rounder Jaylen Waddle, and Albert Wilson in three-wide sets against New England. Will Fuller is suspended for this one. Waddle is dirt-cheap on daily fantasy sites.

RELATED: 

DeVante Parker

, Jaylen Waddle

, Albert Wilson

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 12, 2021, 8:31 AM ET

Dolphins WR Preston Williams (foot) is inactive for Week 1 against the Patriots. 

Williams remains "limited" in practice and does not seem particularly close to a return to the Dolphins' deep receiver corps. Joining Williams on the shelf for the opener are CB Trill Williams, CB Noah Igbinoghene, WR Preston Williams, DB Elijah Campbell and OT Greg Little.

SOURCE: Marcel Louis-Jacques on Twitter 

Sep 12, 2021, 3:16 PM ET

Dolphins WR Preston Williams (foot) was limited for Wednesday's practice.

It's the same designation he had last week before being ruled out for Week 1. With Will Fuller set to return from suspension, there's hardly any scenario in which Williams logs the same 73% snaps he played in seven full games with the Dolphins last year. When healthy, he'll be available as the team's No. 4 receiver. 

SOURCE: Sal Capaccio on Twitter

Sep 15, 2021, 4:37 PM ET

Preston Williams (foot) has resumed practicing in full.

We was upgraded on Thursday after Wednesday's limited session. It puts him on track to make his 2021 debut against the Bills, though Williams won't have any WR5 juice in the Dolphins' crowded receiver corps. Still only 24 with big-play chops and good plays on NFL film, Williams is worth an end-of-bench spot in Dynasty leagues. 

Sep 16, 2021, 3:34 PM ET

Preston Williams (knee, foot) is active for Week 2 against Buffalo.

Williams was held out of Week 1 and picked up a knee injury in practice this week, but was able to get cleared for his season debut. With Will Fuller out, Williams should slot into three-wide sets with DeVante Parker and Jaylen Waddle. Miami's inactives are CB Trill Williams, CB Noah Igbinoghene, DB Elijah Campbell, OT Greg Little, and TE Hunter Long.

Sep 19, 2021, 11:42 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread