What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alexander Mattison, LV (3 Viewers)

Alexander Mattison rushed 10 times for 26 yards in the Vikings' Week 6 loss to the Falcons.

Mattison only added one catch for four yards, too. The matchup was ideal on paper, but that quickly changed when Kirk Cousins threw three interceptions. Bad game script ruined Mattison's chances of providing RB1 value because Mike Boone and Ameer Abdullah rotated in on obvious passing downs. It was a total dud. Mattison won't have any standalone value for at least the next two weeks with the Vikings heading into their bye. Dalvin Cook is expected to be fully healthy for Week 8.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:08 PM ET

Seems to happen every single year. Stud RB goes down, backup gets great matchup, ranked top 10 everywhere, owners can barely wait to put him in the lineup, proceeds to do nothing. Game script or not, that was freakin pathetic. My opponent benched Ronald Jones for this chump.

My opponent who is 5-0 and last in waiver order somehow got him this week. I was pissed, but it turned out great 😁
I had waiver pick 2 this week, my 4-1 opponent had 3. I knew he needed a RB, but I hate to burn waiver picks on one week rentals, so I took Brandin Cooks instead (he got dropped last week).

That was the deciding swing in my favor. Even better, he sat Rojo to play Mattison.  🙂

Alexander Mattison ran 13 pass routes and saw two targets in the Vikings' Week 6 loss to the Falcons. 

Mattison caught his lone target for four yards. Ameer Abdullah ran 12 routes and saw one target, while Mike Boone ran three routes and got one target. Mattison's role in the Minnesota offense without Dalvin Cook was more game script sensitive than many had assumed. Facing a big deficit for most of the game, the Vikings gave Mattison a meager ten rushes. He once again becomes a bench stash in 12 and 14-team leagues with Cook expected to be ready to go coming off the team's Week 7 bye week. 

RELATED: 

Dalvin Cook

Oct 19, 2020, 10:06 AM ET

Do you think Cook would have had these numbers in the same situation?
Cook would have stayed in more on third down and caught more passes as  a result. The problem isn't that Mattison didn't run a ton; the problem is that after the team fell behind and gave up on the run they substituted him for Abdullah and Boone.  It was the lost receptions that hurt the most and Cook would have had all of them.

Yeah I was hearing that Atlantas defense was particularly weak against RBs as receivers. Part of the reason why may be how often they blitz. 

The Vikings didn't really attack their defense like this until later in the game and they were using Abdullah and Boone more on the plays that they did.

Not sure why. Mattison can catch the ball and has done well on screens before. But that is what they did.

What this experience has reminded me of, is that its easier for a RB to come off the bench and have success when another RB has already been carving the defense up and wearing them down.

Cook would have stayed in more on third down and caught more passes as  a result. The problem isn't that Mattison didn't run a ton; the problem is that after the team fell behind and gave up on the run they substituted him for Abdullah and Boone.  It was the lost receptions that hurt the most and Cook would have had all of them.
I can agree with that,thanks

Alexander Mattison (appendectomy) won't play in Week 14 against the Buccaneers.

He's considered week-to-week since he hasn't practiced since going under the knife a few weeks back. Mattison's absence on Sunday allowed Dalvin Cook to churn for a career-high 32 carries and 38 total touches, inevitably paving the way for a similar touch count this upcoming weekend against the Buccaneers.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Dec 11, 2020, 1:42 PM ET

Alexander Mattison (appendectomy) is questionable for Week 15 against the Bears. 

Mattison returned to practice Thursday after missing Week 14 following his appendectomy. Mike Boone and Ameer Abdullah have split leftover touches behind Dalvin Cook the past two games, but that won't be the case if Mattison is able to return this week against Chicago. Mattison is a bench stash for now. 

SOURCE: Minnesota Vikings on Twitter 

Dec 18, 2020, 2:15 PM ET

Alexander Mattison (concussion) is practicing Wednesday.

Mattison has touched the ball just seven times since Week 9 thanks to an appendectomy, concussion, and Dalvin Cook's bell cow usage. But with Cook (personal) out for Week 17, it puts Mattison in the RB1/2 conversation for Week 17 fantasy players in a dream matchup against the Lions' broken defense. We doubt Mattison gets Cook's usage, but he should split time with Mike Boone and/or Ameer Abdullah and is a good bet for a touchdown.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Dec 30, 2020, 3:04 PM ET

Alexander Mattison rushed 21 times for 95 yards and one touchdown and caught all three targets for 50 yards and one touchdown in the Vikings' Week 17 win over the Lions.

It was a forgettable second-year season for Mattison outside of the Week 17 blow-up spot against the league's worst rushing defense. He busted (30 scoreless yards) in a Week 6 start and barely mixed in behind Dalvin Cook whenever the bellcow was healthy. Mattison also missed three games due to an appendectomy and concussion. Despite all this, Mattison managed to average 4.5 yards per carry for the second-straight season and remains one of the better insurance bets in redraft formats. Cook just isn’t going anywhere for at least two more seasons for those holding onto Mattison in dynasty circles. At least both Mike Boone and Ameer Abdullah are off the Vikings’ books for 2021.

- Rotoworld

Alexander Mattison rushed one time for two yards in the Vikings' Week 1 loss to the Bengals.

Mattison also caught his only target for four yards. Ameer Abdullah also saw a single rush attempt but notched two targets. Mattison would still take on the bulk of Cook's job if he goes down but Abdullah could be in line for third downs if that ever happens. Neither back holds any standalone value.

Its aligning w/ Mattison up against the Seahawks. Lowend RB1/2 now seems imminent for this game. I might be playing him over Tyson to bypass the Committee issues. Mattison got 21 carries last time(Week 17 vs Lions), Seahawks Run D per ESPN is 32nd?!(They let Colts RBs score 25.8 and had the Tenn to get steam rolled by King Henry for 49.1) 

I think it should be somewhere between that for the Vikes and that makes me Bullish. 

Its aligning w/ Mattison up against the Seahawks. Lowend RB1/2 now seems imminent for this game. I might be playing him over Tyson to bypass the Committee issues. Mattison got 21 carries last time(Week 17 vs Lions), Seahawks Run D per ESPN is 32nd?!(They let Colts RBs score 25.8 and had the Tenn to get steam rolled by King Henry for 49.1) 

I think it should be somewhere between that for the Vikes and that makes me Bullish. 

Mattison has been fools gold, for me, for a couple years now, IMO.  Not really living up to the hype.  When Cook is in the game Mattison does well in relief, but for the games when Cook is out Mattison always seems to come up short and never really supports the hype.

He's kind of like the Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster of running backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
for the games when Cook is out Mattison always seems to come up short and never really supports the hype

He doesn't always come up short. Cook missed 2 games last season (weeks 6 and 17). Here is how Mattison performed in those games:

• 2020, week 6: 10/26/0 rushing, 1/4/0 receiving on 2 targets
  • 2020, week 17: 21/95/1 rushing, 3/50/1 receiving on 3 targets
Disappointing in week 6, great in week 17.

He doesn't always come up short. Cook missed 2 games last season (weeks 6 and 17). Here is how Mattison performed in those games:

• 2020, week 6: 10/26/0 rushing, 1/4/0 receiving on 2 targets
  • 2020, week 17: 21/95/1 rushing, 3/50/1 receiving on 3 targets
Disappointing in week 6, great in week 17.
“Week 17 doesn’t count.”

~ Fantasy GMs

I have the same quandary, I think I'm still going Tyson Williams because the Loins LBs are so bad

I'm thinking taking Pittman out at flex for Mattison. Been thinking about it all weekend...driving me crazy

Starting over Jamaal Williams in a league where I need upside so if Cook does go nothing of value will be lost, also started over Hunt in another league

Alexander Mattison rushed 26 times for 112 yards in the Vikings' Week 3 win over the Seahawks, adding six catches for 59 yards.

Mattison was called up with Dalvin Cook nursing an ankle injury and didn't disappoint. His eight targets were tied for second on the Vikings and he only gave up five carries to Ameer Abdullah. Most of Abdullah's carries came late in the game when Mattison appeared to be playing through a minor leg injury. He limped off the field in the fourth quarter but was able to return shortly after. It's clear that Mattison will simply play the Cook role for Minnesota whenever he's running as the starter. Given how well he played versus the Seahawks, the Vikings should be sticking with that plan going forward. If Cook returns next week versus the Browns, Mattison can return to fantasy benches. If he's out again, Mattison will slot in as a low-end RB1.

With Dalvin Cook (ankle) inactive, Alexander Mattison is starting Week 5 against the Lions. 

It will be Mattison's second start in three weeks. He handled 32 touches for 171 total yards in Week 3 against the Seahawks and can be safely treated as an RB1 vs. the Lions' pathetic defense. It's a dream setup if you have been stashing Mattison on your bench. 

Oct 10, 2021, 11:34 AM ET

Alexander Mattison rushed 25 times for 113 yards in the Vikings' Week 5 win over the Lions, adding seven receptions for 40 additional yards and a touchdown. 

As expected, Mattison was once again a usage monster in Dalvin's Cook absence, matching his touch total from Week 3. Mattison had already baked his delicious fantasy cake but nearly cost the Lions the game in closeout mode, senselessly fighting for extra yardage on a 3rd-and-7 as he was tasked with killing the clock. He fumbled at this own 22 and the Lions instantly recovered and scored the go-ahead touchdown/two-point conversion. Nobody in the building was happier when the Vikings rallied for the game-winning field goal. Mattison's touchdown reception was a 15-yarder where he broke some tackles on an in-route. Cook seemed reasonably close to suiting up this week, but the Vikings are going on bye in Week 7. That could create the temptation to sit Cook one more game against the Bengals. 

Oct 10, 2021, 4:39 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread