What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

who is/was "that guy" in your town? (1 Viewer)

This dirtbag has his compound in the woods about 1/8 mile from my house. Crazy old coot with his grubby little shop selling vintage KKK crap, right in the middle of town next to craft burger joints and dog salons. 
This is kind of an odd unit of distance.  Don't think I've ever thrown out, "it's right down the street about an eighth a mile."  

That said, it's good to have you back.  

Had a bunch back in the day.  One i'll always remember was Fuzzy.  I was a season ticket holder for the Rangers in JHS and HS.  I was 15-18 at the time (blue seats section 416) and Fuzzy was either in 416 or 417.  One of those amicable guys, a little off, but seemed genuine.  People would talk to him and ask him about his endeavors to games.  Fuzzy was at every game on every day, everywhere, or so he said.  He would sometimes pull a triple, some baseball, football and hockey.  Wore one of those satin jackets and was bushy bearded.  Would blurt something out in excitement and gyrated weirdly during games.  Everyone knew Fuzzy.  Years later i came across this article;

https://nypost.com/2018/02/19/superfan-lived-to-love-the-new-york-city-sports-scene/

There's this dude that just walks.  All day, every day.

He's probably 6' 6", always in jeans and a T shirt, carrying a 3L thermos of something.

I see him walking everywhere I am in the city.  And, while not a metropolis, this is not small town---pop. 70,000.  I see him all over the city, almost every day, whether it's 95 degrees in July or 27 degrees and snowing in January.  

He clearly doesn't have a job. I'm not sure of his situation.  But he must be in great shape.

Take your pick...  Dennis Scott, Chris Warren, Mia Hamm, Grant Hill, Sandra Bullock, Warren Beatty.    Dave Grohl too.  But nobody really knew who he was back in 7 - 12th grade

Honestly the answer is probably Chris Warren at least from my generation.  He was a stud at Robinson HS and unlike a lot of these people still hangs out in the NOVA area.  He was born, raised, and still live here.,  3 time NFL pro-bowler.  I haven't seen him in forever, but he's helping coach a HS team in the area.  I feel like the others kind of took off as soon as they could.  Grant Hill would probably be second on the list.
I didn't realize Chris Warren fell on hard times.  Is he dressed like someone from Jethro Tull on roller skates selling pepperoni while also cursing out and picking the pockets of people nearby?  If not, he might not be "that guy".

This dirtbag has his compound in the woods about 1/8 mile from my house. Crazy old coot with his grubby little shop selling vintage KKK crap, right in the middle of town next to craft burger joints and dog salons. 
This is kind of an odd unit of distance.  Don't think I've ever thrown out, "it's right down the street about an eighth a mile."  

That said, it's good to have you back.  
On a standard city grid, a city block is an 1/8th of a mile.  #nbcthemoreyouknow

I always wondered was he selling pepperoni cannolis or pepperoni and cannolis.

Like you could get some cured sausage and a cannoli or cured sausage stuffed in your cannoli. 

Or was it a scam to ask for money. 

There’s around 219,000 that guy types in NYC. One of the reasons I love it here

Listen, pastel goth ain’t really my thing, but thanks for making my day. The glitter eye liner is super clutch.

Bro, did you really just take a 12 foot long yellow snake out of that pet carrier? I know its the subway but SRSLY man? Still...very cool. Just stay on that end of the car, mmmkay?

Weird....I never realized how pleasant it is listening to people rap accompanied by a sitar and a shruti box. Kinda like it.

70 year old on a unicycle. Every day. All over the neighborhood. Takes all kinds. Awesome.

I always wondered was he selling pepperoni cannolis or pepperoni and cannolis.

Like you could get some cured sausage and a cannoli or cured sausage stuffed in your cannoli. 

Or was it a scam to ask for money. 
he was selling pepperoni AND cannoli separately. not pepperoni flavored cannoli.

i found that out on my 21st birthday.

also, he was definitely running scams and pickpocketing people where it was possible.  gb that guy.

the story i heard growing up was his wife left him at the altar and he never recovered. his life fell apart and he became homeless. he wore the tux from his wedding the rest of his life. any time you saw him, for years, he was wearing that tux. it got worse and worse over the years.
:lmao:

You don't believe this story, do you?

:lmao:

You don't believe this story, do you?
oh, absolutely not. but when i was 5 it sounded like a cool story.

my grandpa was a champeen story teller and would craft great background stories for entertainment purposes. always with a wink and a nod. 

like the time he wrassled a bear that bit off his thumb.... it was only later that i learned "bear" = firework and "wrassled" = got super ####### hammered drunk and "bit" = firework exploded in his hand.   but, you couldn't have told my 1st grade classmates that my grandpa hadn't wrestled a live ####### grizzly.

Has to be Sylvester, aka Sly.

He was an older black man, supposedly a Vietnam vet, who spent pretty much every day/night roaming some of the city's more popular nightlife/restaurant areas.  He would panhandle, but usually wasn't too aggressive about it.  He'd stop and talk to you, befriend you, and then ask you for money.  There's all sorts of urban legends about the guy.  He clearly had a mental handicap of some kind, and you never really knew on a given night whether he'd be friendly and lucid or whether he'd start swearing at you if you didn't give him some money or a cigarette.   Most bars wouldn't let him in, but it wasn't uncommon to see him standing out front, shooting the #### with the bouncer at your favorite bar.  If you spent any evening in or around either the Elmwood Village or Allentown in the past 15 years, you know exactly who he is even if you didn't know his name.

He died just a few weeks ago, early March.  Buffalo News wrote up a nice obituary for him.  Guy's a legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has to be Sylvester, aka Sly.

He was an older black man, supposedly a Vietnam vet, who spent pretty much every day/night roaming some of the city's more popular nightlife/restaurant areas.  He would panhandle, but usually wasn't too aggressive about it.  He'd stop and talk to you, befriend you, and then ask you for money.  There's all sorts of urban legends about the guy.  He clearly had a mental handicap of some kind, and you never really knew on a given night whether he'd be friendly and lucid or whether he'd start swearing at you if you didn't give him some money or a cigarette.   Most bars wouldn't let him in, but it wasn't uncommon to see him standing out front, shooting the #### with the bouncer at your favorite bar.  If you spent any evening in or around either the Elmwood Village or Allentown in the past 15 years, you know exactly who he is even if you didn't know his name.

He died just a few weeks ago, early March.  Buffalo News wrote up a nice obituary for him.  Guy's a legend.
I always gave Sly a cigarette when I was partying at Goodbar. 

When I was little there were these two old ladies who walked around my great aunts town. They walked and walked and argued and bickered constantly. You would hear them before you saw them.  I think they were sisters. One year I saw only one of them and my aunt said the other had been hit by a car and died. 

In the big city next to my town was thong bicycle guy. Older, really fat guy would ride all over the city on a bicycle with just a thong on. Sometimes a cape. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread