What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida Politics (3 Viewers)

I agree if the discussion is being had as a matter of percentages.  It's going to be a 1-2% difference at worst.  Raw numbers and perception is where it becomes problematic.  Going that route short changes the real world impact to individuals.  That's wrong IMO.  That said, the reality is, we don't need a dashboard to tell us how screwed up things are here.  Fortunately, over the last year, we've become MUCH better at battling the virus and deaths are going down as a percentage.  That's a good thing.  Florida is always going to be a hot spot area when new variants come out.  We will always be one of those states.  I said at the beginning of this fiasco and still believe it today.  I don't care anymore.  I will continue to wear a mask as a role model for my two kids who still wear them since they can't get the vaccine yet.  We've upgraded their masks (and ours) to the N95 variety.  That's the best we can do.
We owe everything to the healthcare professionals who save us from ourselves.

Waiting for DeSantis to tell everyone it’s up to their individual cells to decide how they want to deal with COVID. This wasn’t going well before, but how he can justify some of his “logic” is mind bottling.

Did I just hear that right, that he is threatening to cut funding to school districts that implement mask mandates?
Yup....and the state isn't providing the funding for online that was provided last year.  Several counties have an online option already and those will continue, but in our case, if we choose to do that, our kids lose their spot at the school they're in and would have to go back on the waiting list for future years.

Yup....and the state isn't providing the funding for online that was provided last year.  Several counties have an online option already and those will continue, but in our case, if we choose to do that, our kids lose their spot at the school they're in and would have to go back on the waiting list for future years.
How can anyone support this nonsense?  It's an honest question

How can anyone support this nonsense?  It's an honest question
A majority of them get their "news" from social media.  The ONLY reason I keep any social media accounts anymore is to see what is coming down the pike in the form of legislation.  That's where this state is right now.

A majority of them get their "news" from social media.  The ONLY reason I keep any social media accounts anymore is to see what is coming down the pike in the form of legislation.  That's where this state is right now.

Rationally though no matter where your news comes from I just can't believe that anyone supports this

You know how/why.  My team good, other team bad!

I know, i'm just surprised it has truly come to "I would rather die then make it look like the other team is winning.  In fact, let the kids die because I just want to be right"

I honestly just thought i would never see public health become politicized.  

Rationally though no matter where your news comes from I just can't believe that anyone supports this
"sides" are a helluva drug.

And when social media is set up the way it is and their goal is to keep your attention by any means necessary rather than provide quality information, it's easy to see how reality can be defined and warped quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, first of all, let's not get too smug, especially considering DeSantis is likely to get re-elected next year by a healthy margin.

Also, I've said before that I think DeSantis is a very smart guy, and I think you're underestimating a key insight he's had:

It's inevitable that, with an event as disruptive as a pandemic, a good chunk of the population is going to chafe at having their routines disrupted to the point where they will want to downplay the threat. With a pure-id politician like Trump, that sentiment got expressed in really dumb formulations ("This will all disappear", "Slow the testing down", etc.) The problem politically is that while that may appeal to the die-hards, most voters don't like to think of themselves as dumb, so many of them will recoil from those ideas, as well as the politicians who espouse them.

What DeSantis has done, though, is construct an intellectual framework that allows people to self-justify their desire to minimize Covid. Now, not only are you not dumb for being opposed to vaccines or mask mandates, you're actually smarter than all the sheeple who mindlessly follow the diktats of that discredited loser Fauci.

From a purely cynical political calculus, it's ingenious. 

OK, first of all, let's not get too smug, especially considering DeSantis is likely to get re-elected next year by a healthy margin.

Also, I've said before that I think DeSantis is a very smart guy, and I think you're underestimating a key insight he's had:

It's inevitable that, with an event as disruptive as a pandemic, a good chunk of the population is going to chafe at having their routines disrupted to the point where they will want to downplay the threat. With a pure-id politician like Trump, that sentiment got expressed in really dumb formulations ("This will all disappear", "Slow the testing down", etc.) The problem politically is that while that may appeal to the die-hards, most voters don't like to think of themselves as dumb, so many of them will recoil from those ideas, as well as the politicians who espouse them.

What DeSantis has done, though, is construct an intellectual framework that allows people to self-justify their desire to minimize Covid. Now, not only are you not dumb for being opposed to vaccines or mask mandates, you're actually smarter than all the sheeple who mindlessly follow the diktats of that discredited loser Fauci.

No it's not genius at all...people will suffer, people will die and there will be long-term negative implications to his approach

No it's not genius at all...people will suffer, people will die and there will be long-term negative implications to his approach
Yes, I agree. And I should have added that, even from that cynical viewpoint, it could easily blow up in his face. (It certainly is right now, although I'm sure we're due for a bunch more Covid swings before next November).

My main point was really that, whether or not it ultimately works for him will be determined by what happens with the pandemic, but we should not underestimate the psychological appeal of that kind of message.

Yes, I agree. And I should have added that, even from that cynical viewpoint, it could easily blow up in his face. (It certainly is right now, although I'm sure we're due for a bunch more Covid swings before next November).

My main point was really that, whether or not it ultimately works for him will be determined by what happens with the pandemic, but we should not underestimate the psychological appeal of that kind of message.

I'm a believer that if the bodies start piling up and the hospitals are full that you have on your hands the worse possible political situation.  So a risk yes but if it goes wrong it has the ability to absolutely destroy him

But i understand what you are saying here...he is trying to delicately split the difference

I'm a believer that if the bodies start piling up and the hospitals are full that you have on your hands the worse possible political situation.  So a risk yes but if it goes wrong it has the ability to absolutely destroy him

But i understand what you are saying here...he is trying to delicately split the difference
I agree.  I think he would be favored to get re-elected anyway.  He seems to be popular in Florida.  Why take this risk?  If Florida hospitals start to look like a war zone compared with the rest of the country, the blame will all fall at DeSantis' feet.

Yesterday Biden asked FL and TX govs to help or step aside.

Today DeSantis drew swords with Biden and said he's doesn't want to hear "blip" from him about covid until he controls the border.

Then Nikki Fried comes on MSNBC with Ari Melber and addresses DeSantis, "don't you say blip to my pres. And will you do anything regarding the covid explosion in FL?"

FL #1 in everything!!!!!

ignatiusjreilly said:

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see this in his comments at all.  What I DO see is a lot of "if the big bad government is going to come in and try and do X to my citizens, I'm not going to let it happen" where X is never anything close to what the big bad government has ever said they wanted to do.  He is an absolute master strawman slayer.  There's no question about that.

The new twist in all of this has been in the last 6ish months or so where the claim has become one that he's going to protect from big bad federal government overreach with big bad state government overreach.  I can get on board with people who believe THAT is the line he's trying to walk, but it's not going well.  Those who were already on his side are cheering him sure, but everyone else is looking at him like WTF?!  He's not winning new people over with that stuff here in Central Florida.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see this in his comments at all.  What I DO see is a lot of "if the big bad government is going to come in and try and do X to my citizens, I'm not going to let it happen" where X is never anything close to what the big bad government has ever said they wanted to do.  He is an absolute master strawman slayer.  There's no question about that.
I was thinking more of his long-term strategy. Look, you and I and most of the people in this thread were always going to be predisposed to take the virus seriously, for a host of reasons, so his arguments were never going to resonate with us. But a large chunk of people, particularly in the GOP base, were going to want to minimize it. By providing them with an intellectual framework for doing so, DeSantis makes them feel better about themselves, and grateful to him.

It's a horrible and cynical strategy and it may not even work, but we shouldn't underestimate its power. 

I was thinking more of his long-term strategy. Look, you and I and most of the people in this thread were always going to be predisposed to take the virus seriously, for a host of reasons, so his arguments were never going to resonate with us. But a large chunk of people, particularly in the GOP base, were going to want to minimize it. By providing them with an intellectual framework for doing so, DeSantis makes them feel better about themselves, and grateful to him.

It's a horrible and cynical strategy and it may not even work, but we shouldn't underestimate its power. 
Sorry, I missed what you said initially.  I have NO IDEA what his messages are on the virus, it's seriousness, problems it presents etc.  I have heard blurbs from him saying he recommends going and getting vaccinated so I'm not sure how that fits the framework but, to be honest, I've not listened to the first thing he's said about the vaccines themselves and philosophy that might come from that line of thought.  His general message in terms of policy around it seems to be "leave it to you to decide until you don't decide the way I would".  That and what I mentioned above and being the best at creating straw men and attacking them pretty much cause me to tune him out.  If I'm being honest, I've tuned pretty much all politicians out when it comes to their opinions on vaccines.  I'll stick with the data for now.

The Hope Scholarship was created to allow students to transfer out of schools where they have been bullied. The GOP in Florida want to let parents apply for the scholarship if their kids feel bullied by mask mandates or vaccine policies. But it works both ways:

>>Caller just asked if the proposed emergency rule will allow parents to apply for vouchers to send their kids to "safe schools that require masks." State Board of Education members does not answer. Click. Another caller asks the same. *silence* Click.

The @EducationFL has not clarified that question either. But the parents who perceive "covid-19 harassment" of their child would be allowed to apply for a Hope scholarship. One could argue it depends on what a parent perceives to be "COVID-19 harassment."

My kids are worried they are going to face “COVID-19 harassment” like their little brother did when he was the only child at summer camp to wear a mask<<

https://mobile.twitter.com/anaceballos_/status/1423671944633794561

FL with 13,500 hospitalizations and 199 deaths yesterday with a 7 day moving average of 90 deaths per day, up from 50 per day last week.

NY with 1,000 hospitalizations and 7 deaths yesterday with a 7 day moving average of 6 deaths per day.

Similar sized populations in the two states.

Guys FL is in serious trouble with this. The Delta variant is worse on kids. Enough with the politics and virtue signaling. This guy is getting people killed.

Did I just hear that right, that he is threatening to cut funding to school districts that implement mask mandates?
House Speaker in TN has done similar.  Threatening calls for a special session if districts mandate masks or shut down due to COVID.  Have not heard yet if he will follow through as Nashville Schools have a mask mandate now (school starting next week)

DeSantis, who is Catholic, can't do anything about this:

Archdiocese of Miami’s Catholic schools to require unvaccinated students to wear face masks

>>The Archdiocese of Miami’s Catholic schools will be requiring face masks for those who have not been vaccinated against COVID during the beginning of the 2021-22 school year.

Unvaccinated students don’t have to wear face masks when they are outdoors, playing sports, or eating. This includes children under 12 who are not yet eligible for the vaccine. Those who are vaccinated and are able to provide proof have the option to wear or not to wear a face mask.

“We believe this is the right policy for us given the current state of the pandemic,” said Jim Rigg, the new cabinet secretary of education and superintendent of schools for the Archdiocese of Miami. “Our Catholic Church has a consistent ethic of human life. We believe that we have to take safety seriously in our schools.”<<

Grace Under Pressure said:
FL with 13,500 hospitalizations and 199 deaths yesterday with a 7 day moving average of 90 deaths per day, up from 50 per day last week.

NY with 1,000 hospitalizations and 7 deaths yesterday with a 7 day moving average of 6 deaths per day.

Guys FL is in serious trouble with this. The Delta variant is worse on kids. Enough with the politics and virtue signaling. This guy is getting people killed.
It’s too bad some people need politicians to think and make every decision for them, interesting take but not surprisingly. 

17 hours ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Expand  
It’s too bad some people need politicians to think and make every decision for them, interesting take but not surprisingly. 
What does your response have to do with the fact that FL has 13 times the number of people in hospitals than NY?

What does your response have to do with the fact that FL has 13 times the number of people in hospitals than NY?
The politician killing people schtick is rich, keep it up fellas at least you guys buy each other’s spin I guess. Oof. 

LOL at NY being used as any symbol of success….hasn’t everyone flocked to other states after how bad the first strain was handled?

The politician killing people schtick is rich, keep it up fellas at least you guys buy each other’s spin I guess. Oof. 

LOL at NY being used as any symbol of success….hasn’t everyone flocked to other states after how bad the first strain was handled?

Um, no.  :no:

NY had nearly 20 million residents before the pandemic and has nearly 20 million residents now. But I see that take in all the regular places consisting of people who’ve spent maybe a few days there or have never been there. New Yorkers are safely enjoying a beautiful summer and not filling up hospitals. I know that actual fact goes against the common tropes in the bubble that wants to think that NY is this or NY is that. The fact is that NY is orders of magnitude better in handling Covid than FL right now and the steps taken by local and state governments contribute to that.

We are talking current state of covid.
I think we can all agree that covid ebbs and flows.  Part of the reason is seasonality with the south as people indoors.   With that said, we should judge in totality not what’s the rate this week.  

Well this is the FL Politics thread. With that said 33,500 NYer's have fled to FL in 2021 alone. We really don't need anymore NY Yankee fans at the Trop. Please stop coming.

Users who are viewing this thread