What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Navin Johnson said:
The human immune system is prepared to deal with the flu.
It’s prepared to deal with this too - that’s why most people don’t even get symptoms and/or recover.    The idea your defense system is completely helpless against this is silly. 

If you went to a hospital and complained of COVID-19 symtoms, they test you for the flu. If you test negative for the flu, you are "presumed" positive for COVID-19. This is not a "confiemed" positive and does not show up on the confirmed numbers. It also doesn't even show up on the tested numbers because you weren't tested for COVID-19. If a doctor diagnosis your situation is not life threatening, you are sent home and told to self quarantine. If you are in a life threatening situation, you will be admitted to the hospital. That might get you qualified for a COVID-19 test. Maybe. Even that still depends. But it is far more likely than if you got sent home. 
This protocol is changing.  We are no longer relying on a negative flu test.  With the addition of in-house testing, suspected COVID tests can be sent regardless of flu status.

rick6668 said:
My 19 year old son is an EMT.  Responded to a call overnight of someone complaining of aches.  Person is being quarantined at home based on being exposed.  Patient was tested and awaiting results.  Patient had a slight fever.  Patient refused service to hospital as unless they start having issues breathing they should stay home. 

He stripped down in the garage before coming in.  He told me this was the first time he was legitimately scared going into the house to treat a patient, he's been doing this for 18 months and already has seen a lot.

ETA: He definitely think the patient has COVID-19.
why the F would you call an EMT if you didn't want to go to the hospital?

It’s prepared to deal with this too - that’s why most people don’t even get symptoms and/or recover.    The idea your defense system is completely helpless against this is silly. 
No one is arguing that our immune system is completely helpless against this (or anything close to that notion).  Not sure why you'd even make that statement.

This is hyperbole. No one believes this. Not one. 

Novel viruses are non-human DNA. It's like a UFO. If a bunch of UFO showed up and attacked our world, we would still fight back. We just wouldn't know what's effective at beating them. 

No one is arguing that our immune system is completely helpless against this (or anything close to that notion).  Not sure why you'd even make that statement.
Well that’s sure what it seems like.    “It’s a novel virus.   The human body has no way to deal with this.   That’s why it’s soooooo much more dangerous”.   Except that it does have ways to deal with it, clearly.    

This is hyperbole. No one believes this. Not one. 

Novel viruses are non-human DNA. It's like a UFO. If a bunch of UFO showed up and attacked our world, we would still fight back. We just wouldn't know what's effective at beating them. 
That’s a terrible analogy too because once again, the vast majority of people’s bodies are figuring out what’s effective to beat them.  

Maybe it’s like dna cloned dinosaurs.   I think we’d stand a better chance against them than ufo’s

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis said:
My wife bought a bicycle on Amazon yesterday and got the same thing.  One month to deliver something -- wow -- Amazon must be totally inundated.  Oddly I bought something yesterday, razors or somesuch crap, I forget what, and it said it'd be here Wednesday.

:shrug:
My son called Amazon to ask about this (not your wife's bike order but the delay on his order) and they are prioritizing deliveries of food and other essentials.  

That’s a terrible analogy too because once again, the vast majority of people’s bodies are figuring out what’s effective to beat them.  
The bolded is exactly the point. Given it's non-human DNA the body can't rely on what it knows from human-DNA viruses it has fought in the past. It has nothing to rely on and is figuring it out ad hoc. 

Well that’s sure what it seems like.    “It’s a novel virus.   The human body has no way to deal with this.   That’s why it’s soooooo much more dangerous”.   Except that it does have ways to deal with it, clearly.    
No, that's not what it seems like at all.  No one is making that argument as it's clear that many people contract the virus and have no symptoms whatsoever.  So clearly it's obvious that many people's immune systems are able to handle this virus.  Otherwise the level of sickness would be astronomical.

It is a novel virus meaning no one has current immunity until they are exposed.  The significance of that is that many, many people have to be exposed to this before we eventually develop herd immunity which can help slow the spread of this.

Those are 2 completely different concepts and arguments.  The statement you made is simply false as no one is arguing our immune system can't handle it.  And those types of posts and statements don't help.  So please stop making up statements and arguments like this that simply aren't true.

why the F would you call an EMT if you didn't want to go to the hospital?
People get scared.  After talking to him and he partner, he refused transfer. 

One good note in all of this, the calls for an ambulance for ridiculous reasons has dropped dramatically.(According to my son)  He usually has all kinds of transports for unneeded reasons.  2 months ago he had a guys who called 911 outside the mall at 1AM.  Said he wasn't feeling well (He missed the bus)  Wanted to go to a particular hospital, not the closest.  They looked up his address and he lives close by.  They could not refuse transfer.  Guy walked into emergency and left shortly after and walked home.  Most of these people are on medicaid  so it costs them nothing.  One hope is this nonsense stops.  

Otis said:
My wife bought a bicycle on Amazon yesterday and got the same thing.  One month to deliver something -- wow -- Amazon must be totally inundated.  Oddly I bought something yesterday, razors or somesuch crap, I forget what, and it said it'd be here Wednesday.

My son called Amazon to ask about this (not your wife's bike order but the delay on his order) and they are prioritizing deliveries of food and other essentials.  
That would have been a fun call.  

LA Board of Pharmacy has issued a new rule. Can't dispense chloroquine nor hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 without a diagnosis code confirmed by a positive test result documented on the prescription or medical order. Even then, 14-day supply max quantity. No refills allowed. 

If you've been following this thread for 2 months, you'd have already known this isn't a death sentence for anyone who catches it. 95-99% of people that catch it will not die.

We need to limit exposure of this thing but people need to stop buying into the fear and treating it like it’s a death sentence for anyone who catches it 
If you've been following this thread for 2 months, you'd have already known this isn't a death sentence for anyone who catches it. 95-99% of people that catch it will not die.
And further -- whether or not it's a death sentence for anyone is way, way beside the point. Too much "me" thinking. "It won't hurt me ... why do I have to make changes?"

For the patients who have severe cases, we think their immune systems are similar to those who have AIDS.  The lungs get infected and are bombarded with immune cells with release harmful chemicals which then destroy lung cells which causes more immune response--a vicious circle and the so called cytokine storm.  No one's talking about the immune system.

This isn’t something we’ve been through before. But after enough days go by with the economy tanking into depression and people dying, when do we finally understand  it’s time to do the right thing? And at what point does the federal government have to step in and do it for us? Argument could be made we’ve now reached that point. 
1-2 more weeks IMO.  If our death rate doesnt slow we are in significant trouble.

The reason we are where we are us due to lack of initial testing.  If we truly knew the total number of cases, the total number of deaths attributed to CV, we could make more informed decisions.

Unfortunately we are behind.  We don't know enough information yet to make informed decisions.  We are getting information from hospitals and using the stock market as a leading indicator.

A huge mess as we are all learning.

Just returned from a quick trip to the store. It's going to be a madhouse today. I have an elderly friend who I call on from time to time, so I checked on her yesterday and she needed one of her medications today. Her house and pharmacy are just a mile or so down the road from me, so I volunteered to get her meds and the 3 items she needed from the store.

I got there at 8:03. Parking lot was full. I moved through that store in a tactical manner that would make a S.W.A.T. team proud. It was as if I had an invisible 6 foot bubble around me that I refused to let anyone enter. Lots of people wearing masks. Several wearing gloves. I wanted so badly to take a picture of one lady who was wearing a hoodie, with the hood drawn up around her face like this. I could see the tip of her nose and one eye and that's it. :lol:  

Estimated round trip through the store including checkouts at the pharmacy counter and the checkout line: 4:32.

Items delivered, maintaining safe distance there too. 

And I sanitized about fiftyeleven times before and after all stops. Going to go wash my hands again now after typing this. 

Stay safe, GBs
Good job. Don't forget in the future to leave shoes on the front porch and change clothes as soon as you get home in case something hitches a ride

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker and state health officials will issue a stay-at-home advisory effective until Tuesday, April 7.

Baker also ordered the closure of non-essential businesses, starting at noon Tuesday. This order will also expire on April 7. Examples of essential organizations and employees include healthcare, law enforcement, food manufacturers, grocers, utilities, transportation and public works.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/governor-baker-coronavirus-emergency-update-march-23-2020/31895743

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Otis said:

Hopefully they are prioritizing the must haves over the nice to haves (no offense)

Symptoms seem to vary greatly for those who have tested positive.   Tom Hanks just said he felt a little tired, the player from the Jazz said he could play in a game right now.  Others have more severe issues.  One local woman said she had a fever one day and was tested positive, then had a little cough here and there for a couple days but felt fine. 
What remains to be seen, and won't be known for a while, are the long term effects on the human body for those who get and survive.  Sure, maybe the symptoms are minor and recovery is just around the corner, but it could wreak major havoc on the lungs and/or other parts of the body in the years to come.  The unknown is part of what makes this so scary.

Incorrect. It's closer to 20% - that number, not the mortality rate, coupled with the duration of symptoms are the most critical reasons we need "flatten the curve." Our healthcare system can't accommodate that many patients in a short time frame.
Incorrect, you added a zero. Can we not argue and bicker over every one of my posts? It feels like you and some others are on such a mission to smash people thru their screens with stats you are whipping up, it just adds to the hysteria. 

However many number of deaths you project in your head or can work out on paper based on stats you are pulling from wherever...just pick the number and go with that. 7 Million would roughly be 2% of the population...is that the number of deaths across America you think will happen? A smaller number? You just seem very eager to shoot folks down, that's just how it comes across. Maybe it's stressful in your house, I've been outside playing Tennis, Reading, Biking, Reading, Walking, maybe you need some fresh air and put the laptop down and turn the news stations off for a bit. 

I wish you well, I'm not trying to fight with you or anyone for that matter. 

Anyone else hear info about the need for “travel papers” for essential workers in the near future?
I have a friend that works in a huge chicken plant here in Mississippi and his employer sent him a letter explaining how he is essential, should he need it.  

Any word on what the West Virginia governor's stance is now?  I believe it was about a week ago when he was telling people to go ahead and eat at Bob Evans.

Incorrect, you added a zero. Can we not argue and bicker over every one of my posts? It feels like you and some others are on such a mission to smash people thru their screens with stats you are whipping up, it just adds to the hysteria. 

However many number of deaths you project in your head or can work out on paper based on stats you are pulling from wherever...just pick the number and go with that. 7 Million would roughly be 2% of the population...is that the number of deaths across America you think will happen? A smaller number? You just seem very eager to shoot folks down, that's just how it comes across. Maybe it's stressful in your house, I've been outside playing Tennis, Reading, Biking, Reading, Walking, maybe you need some fresh air and put the laptop down and turn the news stations off for a bit. 

he's not saying deaths will be 20%, GB

He's one of the best sources of info on the forum. It's possible the posts talked past each other a bit. 

@Otis

I've been on an amazon buying spree with points for furniture and other household and home office items.  I'm HOPING to get what I ordered prior to yesterday. As of yesterday I was down to two needs: Some new plates for daily use (don't want to deal with Target), and a bike if they had any decent that I could get.  No matter what items I looked at, they said April 21st.  I did some digging and it's just as you state Chet - they are prioritizing essentials.

That said, it APPEARS my previous orders, literally made the night before, are still being delivered. It's hardly the most urgent of items considering what we are going through, but darn it would be nice to have the new bedroom furniture so I don't have to be loud in my office, that is not enclosed (it's the dining room / den basically) and can do early meetings in my bedroom.  And to have a place for me or a lady friend chill in my room without having to be in the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread