What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

From Dr. Fauci's editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine (3/26/20)

Covid-19 — Navigating the Uncharted

See also: Estimates of the severity of coronavirus disease 2019: a model-based analysis
Not convinced. I really think there is some wishful thinking involved here. When you have both Vo Italy and the Diamond Princess performing comprehensive testing on 6700 people (this is about as controlled an environment you are going to get for now), for the death rate to be anywhere near .1%, literally everyone on that ship and town would need to be positive for the virus. You would then need to conjure up 4000 more people from thin air and have them be positive as well. Considering, only about 800 tested positive out of the 6700 (and we are missing the 4000 imaginary people). That is a boatload of positive people that we are missing. The second article bases its research on China's numbers which we know are bogus.

This underestimation happened with SARS too. I think people just don't want to believe the facts in front of them (or want to put the most optimistic view forward). For any of these rates significantly below 1% we have to be missing absolute boatloads of positive people. We're talking millions and millions. Just in the United States, if no one else died, we are missing 216,000 people to get to 1%. To get to .1% we are missing about 3.9 million positive people. That is with a death rate of death/total positive cases and all active cases not dying. If we just look at resolved cases (assuming the unresolved cases are of similar severity and outcome to the resolved ones) we are missing 6.6 million positive people to get to 1% and 68 million positive cases to get to .1%.

Just think, in the press conference yesterday, the Administration was flooring 100000 deaths currently. For that to be .1% mortality rate we'd need about 100 million Americans positive. For their ceiling of 240000 we would need 240 million Americans positive.

welp, my wife has come down with a cough and has been tired lately.  Obviously, your mind jumps to the worst, but in reality, it's probably allergy season (pollen has been especially bad) coupled with not sleeping well due to anxiety.  No fever and the cough isn't persistent so I don't think she has the Rona.  Still, we are starting to make preparations to quarantine her in the basement for a couple of weeks.  Our basement is fully furninshed, two guest bedrooms, it's own bathroom with shower, mini-fridge, microwave, large screen TV and sofa - she'll be fine here.  also, it means that if we suspect she may be positive, we aren't leaving the house except for walks in the 'hood. 

How long do we wait for this to progress (or not) before one of us can go for groceries or the like?

Not convinced. I really think there is some wishful thinking involved here. When you have both Vo Italy and the Diamond Princess performing comprehensive testing on 6700 people (this is about as controlled an environment you are going to get for now), for the death rate to be anywhere near .1%, literally everyone on that ship and town would need to be positive for the virus. You would then need to conjure up 4000 more people from thin air and have them be positive as well. Considering, only about 800 tested positive out of the 6700 (and we are missing the 4000 imaginary people). That is a boatload of positive people that we are missing. The second article bases its research on China's numbers which we know are bogus.

This underestimation happened with SARS too. I think people just don't want to believe the facts in front of them (or want to put the most optimistic view forward). For any of these rates significantly below 1% we have to be missing absolute boatloads of positive people. We're talking millions and millions. Just in the United States, if no one else died, we are missing 216,000 people to get to 1%. To get to .1% we are missing about 3.9 million positive people. That is with a death rate of death/total positive cases and all active cases not dying. If we just look at resolved cases (assuming the unresolved cases are of similar severity and outcome to the resolved ones) we are missing 6.6 million positive people to get to 1% and 68 million positive cases to get to .1%.

Just think, in the press conference yesterday, the Administration was flooring 100000 deaths currently. For that to be .1% mortality rate we'd need about 100 million Americans positive. For their ceiling of 240000 we would need 240 million Americans positive.
We've done the death rate thing so many times.  First of all, I think it's important to know why someone wants to discuss the death rate.  Why is a particular death rate "important"?  As an example, 1%?  Who decided that 1% was an ok number and anything below that is good, and above that is bad?  I have answers for that, but can't express them in this forum.

Models have their place, but they are just models.  Cuomo had a great line on models today.  He said that the frustrating thing about models is that they always change, and that's because we're always feeding new info into them.

As an example, the death rate numbers are HEAVILY dependent on Chinese data.  South Korea and China are the only two countries that have seen the back side of this virus (on a large scale).  If it turned out that China was lying and we have to toss out their numbers, who is the next hard-hit country to analyze?  Italy? I sure hope not, because their death rate looks atrocious at the moment.

I'm going to steal Cuomo's line on facts.  Facts are facts.  

The facts are that the non-China death rate is currently 4.9%.  In Italy it's almost 12%.  Yes, we know that there are a large number of cases that are likely not being counted.  But on the other hand, of all active cases, there are still a lot of people who unfortunately haven't died yet.  Death rates will always rise at the end of an outbreak. (see South Korea who had always been way below 1%, and as they've virtually eliminated new cases, they've seen their death rate rise to 2%)

In the end, the final death rate will end up being lower than it is.  By how much, who really knows or cares?  But using a "fantasy" death rate to try and prove why this virus is no big deal is an argument that I won't entertain any longer.

One last thing on Vo.  Yeah they did have a bunch of asymptomatic cases (at the time the study was done, we still don't know how many of those eventually became symptomatic), but even so they had 1 death among 89 people, so a CFR higher than 1%.

SIAP....Florida finally under state-wide stay at home order.
And my buddy's wife in JAX- a nurse-  was furloughed. 30 years of experience, but she was serving as an admissions nurse. Here we are sending out an APB for retired nurses, ex-nurses and soon to be nurses... but we're furloughing in position nurses with experience. :wall:  

Co-workers wife has Alzheimers. He's retired military and they live a couple miles away from NAS JAX. Her main hobby was bingo games on base. Several times a week she'd play. Base has shut down bingo for 2 to 3 weeks now. He says that she has really gone downhill in the meantime and sleeping up to 16 hours a day.

He says that he's tried to keep her occupied with other games or walks but she just isn't interested in them.

I feel so badly for him after seeing my FIL go through Parkinson's. 

We thought the end of the anti-vaxxers were smallpox, measles, and mumps.

There's very little you can do with the religiosity of the uncaring. I can guarantee you that even when there's a vaccine, there will be people that refuse the vaccine. They can't be forced to be inoculated by the State.

https://www.npr.org/2011/04/05/135121451/how-the-pox-epidemic-changed-vaccination-rules

And there are reasons for that, as often the good intentions of public health officials see the thrust of their campaigns foisted upon the poor and powerless, mostly immigrant and minority populations.
Odd though, I think it's comfortably middle class American born women who I mostly see advocating against vaccines. 

Co-workers wife has Alzheimers. He's retired military and they live a couple miles away from NAS JAX. Her main hobby was bingo games on base. Several times a week she'd play. Base has shut down bingo for 2 to 3 weeks now. He says that she has really gone downhill in the meantime and sleeping up to 16 hours a day.

He says that he's tried to keep her occupied with other games or walks but she just isn't interested in them.

I wonder if there any YouTube video bingo "games" that he could play for her to get her fix?

CurlyNight said:
Pence on CNN. Just said we all need to practice what we're doing and thinks memorial day weekend/June we'll see a good decline. I take it as stay at home will go to min June. 
The 4th of July may be the breaking point for many that will insist on getting out (and inevitably being among crowds).  Even if it doesn't make sense then...we'll see.

shader said:
I think depression is going to be a real problem over the next few weeks.  Quarantine was fun for a week or two, especially for introverts.  But we are soon going to move into a phase where people start to lose it. 

Please get outside, walk, (stay away from people) and do everything you can to keep your sanity.  We have an annoying cool snap that ends today where I live but I plan on spending as much of the springtime outside in my back yard as I possibly can.
Tend to agree.  As pleasant as nice weather may be right now, I was happy it (basically) rained from Friday night through Sunday afternoon here.  I'm now rooting for rainy weekends for the first time in my life.  Keep as many people doing the right things as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd though, I think it's comfortably middle class American born women who I mostly see advocating against vaccines. 
Yes, the dynamic has indeed changed. The question of forced inoculation, though, is a bridge we'll have to address when we come to it. For now, let's just pray and hope and think rationally (or whatever people choose to do when they long) for a vaccine.

I wonder if there any YouTube video bingo "games" that he could play for her to get her fix?
Yeah... Gotta be a way to get her engaged online somehow

https://www.google.com/search?q=online+bingo+game&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US822&oq=online+bingo&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.4994j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Might even be a way to set up games with her friends from the base?

And my buddy's wife in JAX- a nurse-  was furloughed. 30 years of experience, but she was serving as an admissions nurse. Here we are sending out an APB for retired nurses, ex-nurses and soon to be nurses... but we're furloughing in position nurses with experience. :wall:  
IL sent out an "all hands on deck" emergency state wide text seeking help from anyone with medical experience.

I think it's more that Bingo was her thing to get her out of the house. Plus. from what he has told me about it, she was pretty serious about it and would bring home $$$.

How long do we wait for this to progress (or not) before one of us can go for groceries or the like?
IMHO, if you're able to wear a mask when going out, you should be good to go. The worry is much, much more about you spreading it to others than you catching it from runs to the grocery.

Do you live in an area where it's kind of easy to grocery shop at slow times? Or is grocery shopping always kind of a crowded situation in your area these days?

Some nurses in Florida are quitting and going to NJ and NY to double and  triple their salary as an ICU nurse to almost  $100 per hour. Travel nurse pay is spiking nationwide. 

We've done the death rate thing so many times.  First of all, I think it's important to know why someone wants to discuss the death rate.  Why is a particular death rate "important"?  As an example, 1%?  Who decided that 1% was an ok number and anything below that is good, and above that is bad?  I have answers for that, but can't express them in this forum.
That exact Fauci quote from that exact same article, we dispatched of last week. Might have even been Statorama that quoted it last week, not sure.

I spent about 20 minutes looking for my post in response, but could not locate with various searches and even with going through my own posts one-by-one over the last week. Point was: Fauci said "If I make certain assumptions, then outcomes are mathematically different". Well, no ish. Means nothing.

IMHO, if you're able to wear a mask when going out, you should be good to go. The worry is much, much more about you spreading it to others than you catching it from runs to the grocery.

Do you live in an area where it's kind of easy to grocery shop at slow times? Or is grocery shopping always kind of a crowded situation in your area these days?
suburbia.  It's always at a medium level.  I mean, the stores are never vacant but it's not too hard to steer clear of everyone else.

Spreading to everyone else is my major concern.  If we have even the slightest suspicion that the has it, we shouldn't be going anywhere.

As someone who took this thread seriously from the beginning but didn't contribute because I lacked the expertise, I'm struck by the possibility that people aren't playing politics when they talk about the death rate but instead want to juggle the very difficult choices that must be made per the death rate against quarantine until some undetermined date. Our systems may not be able to handle a quarantine that long, and it might be, for some people, better to brace for the worst and the truth than not to know it at all. The more data, the more certainty, the more certainty, the more we can make our very difficult decisions moving forward. It is nice to say that all life is valued, and valued the same, but it's not. Our system puts monetary values on lives, through our wrongful death suits to our insurance premiums and policies. It's not about the re-election and politics necessarily, if that's where you're going with that sentiment.

So the choice is between believing what you post on a message board vs. what Dr. Fauci documents in the New England Journal of Medicine?

I'll take my chances with Dr. Fauci.
Dr. Fauci didn't say anything definitive at all in the quote you pulled. "If X, then Y". But he didn't say "X is true" ... he said "assume X". He spoke hypothetically.

Dr. Fauci didn't say anything definitive at all in the quote you pulled. "If X, then Y". But he didn't say "X is true" ... he said "assume X". He spoke hypothetically.
Aren’t there two components to death rate...what the disease will claim, but also what the increase will be based on the healthcare systems inability to provide adequate care?  On March 24, the N.Y. death rate was .8%.  Based on today’s numbers, it’s 2.3%...I have to believe the stretched nature of NY healthcare system has some effect here.

Aren’t there two components to death rate...what the disease will claim, but also what the increase will be based on the healthcare systems inability to provide adequate care
In a sense .. the part in red doesn't exist independently as a trait of this illness (or any other). IOW, what "the disease will claim" is always dependent on other 'external' considerations -- the item in blue being an example of one.

WWYD: My daughter, 19, is a part time hourly employee for the state. She lives with her sister but also stays at her boyfriends house (he is 21, lives with mom, dad, aunt). Daughters boss told them a coworkers son will be flying from Connecticut to stay with his mom on Friday. They will not require the mom to stay home while he isolates. The office shares doors, scanners, restrooms, etc. The boss can’t lay off the part timers but said they can stay home and try to file for the two week sick leave they are allotting them. 
What should I advise her? I told her to avoid the lady, wash hands etc. Or just stay home? Quit? She’s already hosed in that she doesn’t get the stimulus relief because we claimed her on our 2019 taxes. We don’t get the $500 for her because she was over 17. 

Some good news, my friend who's 22 month son had a cough and 106 fever at the hospital. Fever is down to 103. They think now they might have been so worried that they mistook for some normal coughs for more than it was. They didn't see any coughing or breathing issues at the hospital. He thinks they are going to send them all home soon now that it looks like things are moving in a positive direction. They don't have the results of the test yet. 

suburbia.  It's always at a medium level.  I mean, the stores are never vacant but it's not too hard to steer clear of everyone else.

Spreading to everyone else is my major concern.  If we have even the slightest suspicion that the has it, we shouldn't be going anywhere.
Your mailbox is full.

welp, my wife has come down with a cough and has been tired lately.  Obviously, your mind jumps to the worst, but in reality, it's probably allergy season (pollen has been especially bad) coupled with not sleeping well due to anxiety.  No fever and the cough isn't persistent so I don't think she has the Rona.  Still, we are starting to make preparations to quarantine her in the basement for a couple of weeks.  Our basement is fully furninshed, two guest bedrooms, it's own bathroom with shower, mini-fridge, microwave, large screen TV and sofa - she'll be fine here.  also, it means that if we suspect she may be positive, we aren't leaving the house except for walks in the 'hood. 

First, I hope Mrs. Moleculo is doing well and it's just our yearly dusting of the yellow gift from Mother Nature.

Second, when the time comes, can I quarantine in your basement?

Aren’t there two components to death rate...what the disease will claim, but also what the increase will be based on the healthcare systems inability to provide adequate care?  On March 24, the N.Y. death rate was .8%.  Based on today’s numbers, it’s 2.3%...I have to believe the stretched nature of NY healthcare system has some effect here.
Case fatality rate trails infected rates.  It is typical that death is two weeks following on set of symptoms.  You look at places where death rate was low initial such as SK and Germany and you see it rise as the disease plays out.  I think the best place to look at case fatality rate is SK since I trust their numbers (unlike China) and they are testing like crazy.  The rate is running at 1.6% at this point.  They had been below 1% for awhile but have moved up as people who were initially caught the disease have died.  This is also a situation where hospitals have not been swamped.  If medical system gets swamped the case fatality rate will be higher.   

Last edited by a moderator:
ConstruxBoy said:
You certainly may be right, but I think that human nature/culture  is consumption over savings and most people will be back to normal spending practices, and social practices assuming a vaccine, within a couple of years. I don't think the impact will be as deep as you imply, although I also don't think Wall Street is accounting for the smaller impact that will happen yet. 
It's not a black and white issue. It's a matter of degree.

If 10% of the people change their behavior and  become savers instead of spenders, that will result in the post-COVID-19 economy being drastically different than the pre-COVID-19 economy. The same holds true if overall (100%) people buy 9 Starbucks lattes per month instead of the 10 they were buying before. 

I have no doubt that the vast majority of people will return to their old spending habits. The problem is, to return to the economy we had before requires 100% to return and all of them to return to 100% of what they were doing before. That's not going to happen. The question is, how much different is it going to be?

Some good news, my friend who's 22 month son had a cough and 106 fever at the hospital. Fever is down to 103. They think now they might have been so worried that they mistook for some normal coughs for more than it was. They didn't see any coughing or breathing issues at the hospital. He thinks they are going to send them all home soon now that it looks like things are moving in a positive direction. They don't have the results of the test yet. 
That was a high-*** fever. Was that 106o a home-taken temperature that was maybe off two degrees? Or did the hospital record 106o?

This isn't going to hold up to peer review. The testing procedure on cats (pg 5) was especially problematic (inentional infection into the cats' nasal passages, looked for virus in feces for six days, then euthanized animals only to find that the virus never got into the lungs). "Virus replicating" does not mean "subject is sickened".
All the same, you should stop letting infected people lick your cat’s nose.  :mellow:

That was a high-*** fever. Was that 106o a home-taken temperature that was maybe off two degrees? Or did the hospital record 106o?
Not sure but I think at home because it sounds like everything has been better since they go to the hospital. 

Not sure but I think at home because it sounds like everything has been better since they go to the hospital. 
When our kids were little, a temp of 104 for any length of time was a reason to throw them in an ice bath to try to get down. 106 cooks stuff pretty quick in children.

For a few days to see how her symptoms play out, can you have a neighbor or someone in town drop off groceries on your porch, and you just pay them with Cash App? 

I'd think Cash App and Venmo will be crucial for a lot of people during this time.

When our kids were little, a temp of 104 for any length of time was a reason to throw them in an ice bath to try to get down. 106 cooks stuff pretty quick in children.
Yeah his home thermometer could be a little off or maybe he is exaggerating it, but apparently the hospital feels good about the direction the kid is heading. I am sure they were panicked, it's their first kid and they have a baby who is only a couple months old. 

Yeah his home thermometer could be a little off or maybe he is exaggerating it, but apparently the hospital feels good about the direction the kid is heading. I am sure they were panicked, it's their first kid and they have a baby who is only a couple months old. 
Oh jeez, all this going on AND first timers? Surprised they didn't get admitted for anxiety. Glad to hear things are getting better for them. 

I've read that the full cycle (from "onset" to "tested negative") can take 20 days. But maybe that doesn't apply to mild cases?

Either way, I wouldn't let your guard down if her symptoms subside in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread