What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (3 Viewers)

Long answer short, drafting this guy doesn’t necessarily mean the rushing load will be lifted from Deebo, and Deebo would be rather foolish to bank on that. 
This post brought to you from the Dept of Extremely Obvious Things. 

I'm just telling you what I've read as speculation about the pick.  I didn't say I agreed with that speculation, nor did I say the pick would  be successful. I also didn't say it would cause Deebo to "bank on that". 

But there is a possible correlation to keeping Deebo by lightening his load as a "wideback", and whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant to the point. The point  is that it might be relevant to keeping Deebo in the fold. 

IF that proves to be the case, I will be fine with it. If it doesn't keep Deebo in the fold, but turns out to be another quality RB added to the depth chart, I will be ok with that too. There are a couple of ways that this pick works out for the 49ers, and only one way it doesn't: if the RB is a bust.

ETA: it also occurs to me that this pick may be a hedge against Deebo departing via trade. They'll need someone to run those plays if Deebo is gone, and maybe this RB is built more for that role than Mitchell or Sermon. 

Clearly the 49ers thought they needed him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just telling you what I've read as speculation about the pick.  I didn't say I agreed with that speculation, nor did I say the pick would  be successful. I also didn't say it would cause Deebo to "bank on that". 
I’m saying I don’t agree with the speculation on that front. Hope that clarifies my last few posts for you. 

We resigned Jason Verrett to a one year deal. No specifics, but I'm sure he came pretty cheap again.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/157999-49ers-re-sign-jason-verrett-one-year-deal/

Updated look at 49ers CB group:

Charvarius Ward, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Dontae Johnson, Jason Verrett, Deommodore Lenoir, Darqueze Dennard, Samuel Womack, Tariq Castro-Fields.

That's nine not counting incoming UDFAs. Should be good competition come training camp.

We resigned Jason Verrett to a one year deal. No specifics, but I'm sure he came pretty cheap again.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/157999-49ers-re-sign-jason-verrett-one-year-deal/

Updated look at 49ers CB group:

Charvarius Ward, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Dontae Johnson, Jason Verrett, Deommodore Lenoir, Darqueze Dennard, Samuel Womack, Tariq Castro-Fields.

That's nine not counting incoming UDFAs. Should be good competition come training camp.
Very happy about that. Huge relief, in fact, and explains why they didn’t go DB early. 

I’m saying I don’t agree with the speculation on that front. Hope that clarifies my last few posts for you. 
And the post you replied to was asking the question, “supposing it does” - so I’ll ask again.

What if that supposition is correct, and the 3rd round RB helps to bring back Deebo?  Do you like the pick more? 

I'd be shocked if it was for anything more than the veteran minimum with cap relief. IIRC, the 49ers used that on quite a few contracts last year which was why they were able to bring back so many of their free agents on 1 year deals.

No-risk move, imo. Veteran presence who knows the system. Can't be worse than some of the dregs they've has to use in past seasons (Norman, Fitzpatrick, Brian Allen)

But it's a pretty obvious speculation.  They drafted a guy who is known for tough running so they don't have to give their star WR 6 or more traditional RB carries a game.

Of course it's an unknown at this point if he will succeed in that role, but the intention is pretty obvious.

efactor said:
But it's a pretty obvious speculation.  They drafted a guy who is known for tough running so they don't have to give their star WR 6 or more traditional RB carries a game.

Of course it's an unknown at this point if he will succeed in that role, but the intention is pretty obvious.
I didn’t suggest, or at least intend to suggest, that this wasn’t a motivation of the team’s. But like I said, I don’t think it will move the needle for Deebo…to the extent concern over his usage is actually a thing and this is not just a negotiating tactic.  

Lombardi with the details on Verrett:

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1521558187643613184?t=RTropNhSBYdug5WZBO9hHQ&s=19

Signing Jason Verrett cost the 49ers $0 (yes, zero) in effective salary-cap space.

It's indeed a low-risk flier deal for 49ers/Verrett: $1.12m base salary and a salary-cap hit of only $895k, thanks to a veteran salary exception. Top-51 rule nullifies cap hit.

What is the top-51 rule?

Only the 51 most expensive salary-cap hits count against the cap during the offseason. 

The 49ers’ #51-ranked cap hit is currently $895k. Since Jason Verrett’s 2022 cap hit is $895k, it simply bumps out another $895k hit and essentially costs $0.

:thumbup:

Interesting article on UDFA Jason Poe with some good video.  

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/158053-udfa-jason-most-intriguing-prospect-49ers-draft-class/

"I genuinely believe Poe's athleticism gives him a real opportunity to compete for the right guard position on the 49ers' offensive line, but that athleticism also gives him an opportunity to be a chess piece in Kyle Shanahan's system. I could imagine him lining up at TE, in the backfield at FB—especially at the goal line, and as a possible ST contributor."

Imagine this guy lined up in the backfield as a FB in goal/short yardage situations   :shock:

5 prime time games again 👍

Week 1: at Chicago Bears
Week 2: vs. Seattle Seahawks
Week 3: at Denver Broncos (SNF)
Week 4: vs. Los Angeles Rams (MNF)
Week 5: at Carolina Panthers
Week 6: at Atlanta Falcons
Week 7: vs. Kansas City Chiefs
Week 8: at Los Angeles Rams
Week 9: Bye
Week 10: vs. Los Angeles Chargers (SNF)
Week 11: @ Arizona Cardinals (MNF in Mexico)
Week 12: vs. New Orleans Saints
Week 13: vs. Miami Dolphins
Week 14: vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Week 15: at Seattle Seahawks (SNF)
Week 16: vs. Washington Commanders
Week 17: at Las Vegas Raiders
Week 18: vs. Arizona Cardinals

Rookie Minicamp observations from Matt Barrows

#49ers just wrapped up an 1:20 rookie minicamp practice. Team had just two D-linemen (Drake Jackson, Kevin Atkins) suited up, so it was tantamount to a passing camp. Some observations...

WR Danny Gray was the most prolific target, with the speedster catching 8 or so passes including a few deep balls down the left sideline. He had a drop early -- that was a critique at SMU -- which he punctuated w/ some self-discipline push-ups. All in all, a good start for Gray.

Poor Atkins and Jackson. They got a lot of close attention from d-line coach Kris Kocurek and equally energetic assistant Darryl Tapp. Both rookies were sucking wind from mid practice onward. (Sixth-round pick Kalia Davis (ACL) was rehabbing on the side).

Among the observers: Former SF defensive coordinator and Broncos head coach Vic Fangio. He lives in Florida now but visits the Bay Area often. Trey Lance also stopped by to watch a portion of practice.

Day 2 OTA stuff from the Twitterverse:

Fresh off a number of rumors, Trey Lance came out onto the practice field and dazzled during 7-on-7s, completing 15 of 17 passes during the period. 

While a number of the passes were reportedly checkdowns, it's a nice start for Lance as he settles in with the first-team reps.

49ers did primarily passing drill work today, which meant that the linemen worked off on the side. During that period, the most explosive play came on a deep score from QB Nate Sudfeld to WR Malik Turner.

Jauan Jennings has also developed a formidable presence. Caught a few intermediate passes over the middle. 49ers obviously very pleased with the progress he made last season

New 49ers CB Charvarius Ward, their prize free agent signing of this offseason, registered a nice pass breakup today on a pass intended for Jennings. 

Those were the plays that popped most in this light OTA practice

Those guys in high school, who thought about punching Cohn, but didn't, should have. He would have been a better person. 
I was about to post something, but this is better.

Cohn is a troll, who baits and baits. No matter the outcome, he won here by getting amplified 

Kinlaw will get a talking to, and this will be much ado about nothing. 

Oh no doubt. He’s young. He took the cheese. Said some bad things. 
Over and over again he did. Sounded almost psychotic. Nonetheless these are young guys defending their ego. Sounds like Cohn is a piece of work but you would think that Kinlaw could have gone to someone in the organization to have this taken care of. I was also a young man at one point though and understand that your ego can at times get the best of you. Hopefully either way this is the end of this for both their sakes.

Over and over again he did. Sounded almost psychotic. Nonetheless these are young guys defending their ego. Sounds like Cohn is a piece of work but you would think that Kinlaw could have gone to someone in the organization to have this taken care of. I was also a young man at one point though and understand that your ego can at times get the best of you. Hopefully either way this is the end of this for both their sakes.
Over.  And over. And over.  Wasn’t able to listen to a single thing Cohn said.  It was bizarre.   Disturbing.

Over.  And over. And over.  Wasn’t able to listen to a single thing Cohn said.  It was bizarre.   Disturbing.
It’s been all over local radio today. Apparently Cohn has a long and seedy track record of slimy “journalism”. Not excusing Kinlaw, just saying there’s a lot of background to this. 

It’s been all over local radio today. Apparently Cohn has a long and seedy track record of slimy “journalism”. Not excusing Kinlaw, just saying there’s a lot of background to this. 
Understand and not pointing all fingers at Kinlaw, but he (Kinlaw) let his emotions get the best of him and should have avoided that conversation. Again I do not know Cohn’s history. But regardless Javon made himself look nuts with that bit. 

Understand and not pointing all fingers at Kinlaw, but he (Kinlaw) let his emotions get the best of him and should have avoided that conversation. Again I do not know Cohn’s history. But regardless Javon made himself look nuts with that bit. 
Agree totally. There are no winners here.

well, except apparently Cohn, who calls it a win when he elicits this sort of attention. 

Not only is he young, but Kinlaw had a pretty rough upbringing.  Hopefully this is a learning experience for him. 

He is a contributing writer with SI. He gets a press pass. It is what it is. 
There has to be some kind of filtering the organization can do though. I'd be surprised if the 49ers can't put him on a banned list or cut off his access to the team. If SI wants 49ers content, if I'm the person in charge of media relations, I tell them they will just have to send another reporter. I'd bet that other organizations will not be granting access to him based on this exchange. He probably can retire, but not as a multi-millionaire, just a washed-out never-was hack.

There has to be some kind of filtering the organization can do though. I'd be surprised if the 49ers can't put him on a banned list or cut off his access to the team. If SI wants 49ers content, if I'm the person in charge of media relations, I tell them they will just have to send another reporter. I'd bet that other organizations will not be granting access to him based on this exchange. He probably can retire, but not as a multi-millionaire, just a washed-out never-was hack.
Problem is, that too gives the dude oxygen. Then he’d be a victim.

I agree the Niners should do something like that, but they’d also be handing him his next 2 articles. 

Looks like Grant has had his last 49er interview. Nobody is gonna give him the time of day now. 

Couldn't have happened to a bigger #####.

Looks like Grant has had his last 49er interview. Nobody is gonna give him the time of day now. 

Couldn't have happened to a bigger #####.
Typically, I’m not much for social media battles, but I’m strangely comfortable with Kinlaw on this.  Not a fan of people who hide behind their keyboard.  Just a weak move on Cohens part.  But kind of what’s expected at this point from him. 

Wasn’t able to watch the clips previously. Florio’s article is perfect. Reminds me of the Ryan Leaf outburst. Back then, it had to be face-to-face interactions and Leaf had teammates to extract him from the situation. Unfortunately for Kinlaw, he went online with no one to give guidance. Hopefully, the organization and teammates help him get through this moment and turn the page. Never heard of the guy before this and hopefully will never hear his name again. 

Alex Mack re-worked his contract, opening up more than $4M in current cap space. Who's getting signed? Deebo? Tretter?

Mack is retiring. Outside of Williams, this offensive line looks awful and significantly worse than last year, when it was arguably the team’s Achilles heel. 

Mack is retiring. Outside of Williams, this offensive line looks awful and significantly worse than last year, when it was arguably the team’s Achilles heel. 
That's what I was worried about when Tomlinson was signed by the Jets. 3 new starters - the entire interior OL. McGlinchey coming back from injury.

Who are the new starters going to be? Seems like they want/hope Banks will take over at LG. Brunskill may be an option at C/RB but I prefer him to be a backup/swing OL. Maybe Tretter signs? Did Tretter and Shanahan overlap at all in CLE?

That's what I was worried about when Tomlinson was signed by the Jets. 3 new starters - the entire interior OL. McGlinchey coming back from injury.

Who are the new starters going to be? Seems like they want/hope Banks will take over at LG. Brunskill may be an option at C/RB but I prefer him to be a backup/swing OL. Maybe Tretter signs? Did Tretter and Shanahan overlap at all in CLE?
They brought back Brendell at C too, who is another journeyman backup. Shanahan didn’t overlap with Tretter but he seems like a scheme fit. According to David Lombardi, Tretter wants $10+ million; I have no idea if that is feasible with the Niners’ current cap situation. They don’t seem to have a backup plan for Banks at LG. 

49ers’ DeMeco Ryans on Trey Lance: “He’s putting the ball on the money every time he throws it”

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/158661-49ers-demeco-ryans-lance-putting-money-every-throws/

Defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans is the latest member of the San Francisco 49ers to send praise in the direction of quarterback Trey Lance, telling reporters on Wednesday that Lance has been hitting the mark with his accuracy and has consistently improved throughout offseason workouts.

Lance reportedly connected on two deep passes of over 40 yards on Ryans' defense Wednesday, which was the second day of the 49ers' three-day mandatory minicamp. Ryans spoke with reporters after practice, saying Lance has been a handful for his defense in recent practice sessions.

"Defending him has been tough," Ryans said. "He's putting the ball on the money every time he throws it. The accuracy is there. The deep ball is there. To show whatever he wants, he can zip it in there and make a lot of plays. So I'm excited for Trey and what he can do. He's setting himself up to have a really good season for us."

Deebo Samuel having fun at practice is positive news for the 49ers

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/158663-deebo-samuel-having-fun-practice-positive-news-49ers/

While he isn't practicing, there is no indication of lingering drama between Samuel and the team. Matt Barrows of The Athletic noted that Samuel was seen joking with teammates during Wednesday's practice, chirping at the defense from the sideline after big plays, and was even following along with a play sheet in his hands.

"That is, he had fun. It was as if everything was normal," Barrows wrote.

That's good news for the 49ers, who endeavor to hold onto last year's breakout player. Samuel is not exhibiting any animosity toward his teammates, coaches, or being in Santa Clara, so the odds of the relationship being mended appear to be good. At least, they are much better than they seemed in April.

"Deebo seems the same," fullback Kyle Juszczyk told reporters after Wednesday's practice. "He seems like the same guy. He's always been positive, always hyping up his teammates, and that hasn't really changed."

Head coach Kyle Shanahan has always been optimistic that the 49ers could successfully navigate the complicated situation. As for the team's relationship with Samuel, that was never a concern.

"Yeah, I think it's always been alright," Shanahan said on Tuesday. "I know we go through the business part of this league, but I don't think the relationship was ever too far away to not get it back to normal, and I think we're working on that. Anytime you're away from each other for a while, that's always harder. But it's good to get him back in here and start getting him around the guys again."

Users who are viewing this thread