What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (6 Viewers)

11.xx  Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West (1997)

I can't wait on this one any longer.  I took it in the 5-10-15-20 draft and was going to not double up but if this is truly a desert island draft then I have to have this one.

Like I said then, their first 3 albums are some of my favorites.  The past couple have not been nearly as good, IMO---never listen to them anymore.  But I have played this album more than almost any other.

They're still usually excellent in concert so I'll keep going despite the setlist not being as much to my liking.

Heart Cooks Brain

Bankrupt on Selling

@shuke
Son of a #####. I was waiting for the other one to go first before I pounced. Damn. It.  

Reminded me of one of Rush's interviews when they were talking about when they went to South America for a tour.  No one had really done that at that point, and they had no idea what to expect.  The crowds were huge, and everyone knew every lyric.  They were stunned.
Rush ain't even my cup of tea, but  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Been mentally going through old albums that I liked as a teenager and in my  twenties. There was one that will definitely not make the cut overall, but it's best track is just such a hidden gem that I can't help but share it. I doubt this is on anybody's radar, but the song was written by two guys who separately contributed to about 10% of the Top several rounds of this draft.

Non Spotlight Spotlight

This is the record where it all came together for Hiatt, showing flashes on his earlier stuff, this is the one where he found his sound.  Big fan of his work and this is an all time fave.... I do a quasi acceptable version of have a little faith on piano....

Round 11 - John Hiatt  - Bring the Family - 1987

Bonnie Raitt had a big hit with Thing called Love, but John's version is also great

Tracklist 

Memphis In The Meantime4:00

Alone In The Dark4:46

Thing Called Love4:13

Lipstick Sunset4:12

Have A Little Faith In Me4:03

Thank You Girl4:11

Tip Of My Tongue5:53

Your Dad Did4:03

Stood Up5:57

Learning How To Love You4:08

Pretty sure this hasn’t been taken yet. Grabbing another stacked double album that was a big part of my late eighties rotation. Lots of variety and experimentation here in his first post-Revolution album. Yo Mama selects: 

11.19 - Prince - Sign o’ the Times (1987)

1 - Sign o' the Times

2 - Play in the Sunshine

3 - Housequake

4 - The Ballad of Dorothy Parker

5 - It

6 - Starfish and Coffee

7 - Slow Love

8 - Hot Thing

9 - Forever in My Life

10 - U Got the Look

11 - If I Was Your Girlfriend

12 - Strange Relationship

13 - I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man

14 - The Cross

15 - It's Gonna Be a Beautiful Night

16 - Adore

I think I’ll go with the following songs:

Sign o’ the Times

Hot Thing

PICK 11.21

TRICK OF THE TAIL - GENESIS (1976)

SONGS

- DANCE ON A VOLCANO

- SQUONK

Love Peter Gabriel, but this is my favorite Genesis album ...the first one without him ...weird.  It still sounds a lot like the band when he was there.  This album represents Miami of Ohio dorm life/college dorm life to me.  Takes me instantly back ...but I also think the music itself still stands strong today. 

It's a top 5 in our house and really is best played in its entirety.  

Last edited by a moderator:
11.10 - Björk - Post (1995)

And now I move on from an artist I'm dying to see (TVotR) to an artist who was one of my most anticipated live shows ever.  She (and the 30-person all-female chorus with her) did not disappoint.

I've had this on my shortlist for awhile, and while I'm not sure it's on anyone else's list here, I have to have it.  So much of the music I enjoy today can be thematically traced back to genre-breaking artists like her.  We talked about the trip-hop/witch house genrepalooza the other day, and while she isn't really clearly defined as being a trip-hop artist like some who have already been taken, she was my choice of artist/song to identify the category.

"Hyperballad"  :wub:

"Army of Me"
Love this, and love the CD of remixes, maybe even more.

Since random celebrity encounters are affected by shelter-in-place, here's a re-post of my Bjork story.

Great story. She's had some interesting men in her life.

Dunno why it just popped into my head...but with links to massive attack, I just had the thought that Barney could be Banksy.

PICK 11.21

TRICK OF THE TAIL - GENESIS

SONGS

- DANCE ON A VOLCANO

- SQUONK

Love Peter Gabriel, but this is my favorite Genesis album ...the first one without him ...weird.  It still sounds a lot like the band when he was there.  This album represents Miami of Ohio dorm life/college dorm life to me.  Takes me instantly back ...but I also think the music itself still stands strong today. 

Almost went with this one. Always find myself coming back to this album. 

That band with Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe and Jim Keltner was outstanding
Yep, the next record is also stellar with Sonny Landreth on slide guitar, I got a chance to see Hiatt on that tour at the Bottom Line in NYC, now closed sadly, Shawn Colvin opened up she had just released her Steady On record, good album.  Back then if you got there early you could get a table by the stage, Hiatt was dripping all over us.  Phenomenal show, I miss that place....

All right, I will be honest - I wasn't too upset with Nigel for taking that Pumpkins because it's a very close toss up which album I like more, so I will just take the other one.  As I said with the Nirvana pick, I really wasn't into them in the 90s (still not now).  My bands in HS were Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden.   Although Billy is a bit of a tool and the albums started to dip with the bloated double album, IMO both of the first 2 are great and honestly I probably listen to this one more now anyway.  

10.40? :  SMASHING PUMPKINS - GISH (1991)

Bury Me

Snail

For the next one, I will go with another album that I probably talk about to much in the last few years and have drafted from a few times now.  My wife and I have seen them live 4 times now.  Each of the 1st 3 times we saw them it was us going to see another band and they happen to be opening.  All 3 times, despite maybe not having the best "show", we walked away liking their music a bit more than who we were going to see in the first place.  4th time was to specifically see them, and since seeing them the first couple times this album has been in the rotation constantly.   I doubt this was on people's radar, but how many times has that been said during this draft already?

11.01:  LORD HURON - STRANGE TRAILS (2015)

Meet Me in the Woods 

Dead Man's Hand

11.14: Donald Fagan - Kamakiriad (1993)

I had slowly been losing interest in what was popular music since the late 80's, so I was pretty happy when this came out. It was probably also one of the earliest times my sense of nostalgia had been triggered, mainly I would say because even though this was a 'new' album, it recalled all the greatness that he had given us for 20+ years at that point. Don't know if it would be considered blasphemy, but I would put this work side by side with most of his Steely Dan material.

For the Spotify list: Tomorrow's Girls and Countermoon

@The Dreaded Marco
Considering only one Steely Dan record was taken, you just basically moved it past all of them except Aja.

I drafter Chamberlin as my drummer in the Rock Band Draft here eons ago.  Pete Townshend, PJ Harvey and Bob Mould were the singers.  Forgot the rest of the lineup.
This was a huge reason why I fell for Pumpkins and also Soundgarden.   There is a lot of Chamerlain being showcased in Gish.  

PICK 11.21

TRICK OF THE TAIL - GENESIS

SONGS

- DANCE ON A VOLCANO

- SQUONK

You didn't include the date.  ;) :P

All right, I will be honest - I wasn't too upset with Nigel for taking that Pumpkins because it's a very close toss up which album I like more, so I will just take the other one.  As I said with the Nirvana pick, I really wasn't into them in the 90s (still not now).  My bands in HS were Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden.   Although Billy is a bit of a tool and the albums started to dip with the bloated double album, IMO both of the first 2 are great and honestly I probably listen to this one more now anyway.  

10.40? :  SMASHING PUMPKINS - GISH (1991)
I knew it. I could feel it coming. You sniped me. This was my next pick. :hot:

I feel strongly that Gish is the Pumpkins best album, quite easily and by a decent margin. I don't know if it is because Butch Vig is a genius producer or because as time went by Corgan's ego became just too damn big, but each release after Gish got further from what I liked.

Anyway, I listened to most of the album this AM in anticipation of picking it near the end of this round. Grrr.

Rd 11 

Rock for Light - Bad Brains (1982)

####. yes. 

now imagine if P-Funk came up during the punk revolution ...

a most influential collective from D.C. - let's just say that they pretty much were the vanguard of hardcore punk, putting on the most legendary live shows - no pit was ever the maelstrom as the Brains pit, i assure you. 

many imitators of this group, but none ever did it better ... this is the pinnacle of the game, and they spawned one of the great underground scenes the world ever saw down in D.C.

but, wait a minute ... they could also bend a reggae/ska beauty as easily as they could rip yer ####### face off. 

their versatility is mind blowing.

dancehall/ska/reggae were all so crucial to the London class of the initial punk wave ... club savant/scenester/dj extraordinaire Don Letts would spin music from said genres in between sets at the gigs, and them punky kids ate it up, even incorporating it into their music, somewhat  - i don't wanna spotlight the particular album that was all the rage, nor where Letts wound up career wise, so i'll drop this for now. 

point being, the punk/reggae union had precedent ... and other acts tried melding the genres - but never with the ease and flat-out brilliance as these cats ... some attempts to mimic Bad Brains were just embarrasing ... there's no touching this lot.  period. 

punk was about being all-inclusive, with no preconceived notions - it was a big D.I.Y. tent - but how many times, after hearing their hardcore ####, did i have people exclaim "WAIT, THEY'RE BLACK?!??!?!"

yeah, and bigly Rasta, to boot. 

but make no mistake, the only "novelty" here is that they did their thing better than any bands on the scene ... i was knee deep in the ####, and i can tell ya, this is as remarkable an experience as i've ever had ... god bless these cats. 

they continued as a band right up to about 5 or so years ago, in various incarnations/forms, with singer H.R. and guitarist Dr. Know being most prominent. 

a must have for any hunkering down i'm gonna be doing, and a staple of my day to day listening for some 38 years.  

Right Brigade

I and I Survive

dancehall/ska/reggae were all so crucial to the London class of the initial punk wave ... club savant/scenester/dj extraordinaire Don Letts would spin music from said genres in between sets at the gigs, and them punky kids ate it up, even incorporating it into their music, somewhat  - i don't wanna spotlight the particular album that was all the rage, nor where Letts wound up career wise, so i'll drop this for now. 
Yes, let's don't do that.  :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread