What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

You want playlist landmines? I give you playlist landmines. I have to have this and I have no idea  if anyone else might take it but I can’t be too careful. This album really opened up a whole new genre of music for me and I can’t unhear it. Maybe my favorite guitar album. 

16.3x ####ed Up - David Comes to Life (2011)

I’ll post songs later if we decide stuff like this can really go on the playlist. 

Absolutely can. 

Courtney barnett....whoa. this is really good. Think I'm adding this to the office chart for further digging. Not sure anyone cares but wanted to throw it out there as a quick 'thanks' to whoever picked it.
Stumbled across her first, and then Kurt Vile.  They perform a couple of duos. Check him out too,

Exhibit A:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmAYzy_HAaY

Last edited by a moderator:
Always like it when you chime in. You should be in this draft. Keep ‘em comin. 
Thanks, man. I found this draft at the right time and you guys are hitting it out of the park with some of these picks. I may add some undrafted free agents at the end or if someone drops out maybe I will be an obtrusive guest and ask to take their place. Truly have enjoyed following the thread and the shuffle tho

Courtney barnett....whoa. this is really good. Think I'm adding this to the office chart for further digging. Not sure anyone cares but wanted to throw it out there as a quick 'thanks' to whoever picked it.
I feel like that album rocks a bit more than her subsequent, and also very good albums. I prefer the more rocking songs and love this album, so was bummed this got taken.

I feel like that album rocks a bit more than her subsequent, and also very good albums. I prefer the more rocking songs and love this album, so was bummed this got taken.
:bowtie:

17.05 Abraxas, Santana (1970)

For bonfire dancing on the beach. One of the wisest things i ever did was, as a runaway, to make my winter base of operations the scorekeepers booth of a municipal ballpark in downtown Monterrey. There was a theater on the way to the major thoroughfare where i went to beg my food money. Turns out the theater was a rehearsal hall for a lot of prominent Bay area bands, Santana included. For hours would i sit by the stage doors listening to them rehearse this for performance. Pure bliss.

I wish Singing Winds, Crying Beast was alloted as the lead-in for Black Magic Woman, for it is as much a part of it as Foreplay/Long Time.

Black Magic Woman

Incident at Neshabur

For bonfire dancing on the beach. One of the wisest things i ever did was, as a runaway, to make my winter base of operations the scorekeepers booth of a municipal ballpark in downtown Monterrey. There was a theater on the way to the major thoroughfare where i went to beg my food money. Turns out the theater was a rehearsal hall for a lot of prominent Bay area bands, Santana included. For hours would i sit by the stage doors listening to them rehearse this for performance. Pure bliss.

I wish Singing Winds, Crying Beast was alloted as the lead-in for Black Magic Woman, for it is as much a part of it as Foreplay/Long Time.

Black Magic Woman

Incident at Neshabur
Was on my short "obligated to pick" list, along with Parliament/Funkadelic, ad along with the most popular album of all-time.

Black Magic Woman

Incident at Neshabur
Hot damn, another obvious choice I never even considered. Wore this album out and don't recall there being a bad song on it.

My folks told me he used to play before he got big in a little park in Sausalito where all the hippies hung out (so much that the city closed the park, just to try to get the hippies to move on- they were sleeping there and bathing in a little fountain). I've never seen that mentioned in his bios, so not sure if that's true.

Black Magic Woman

Incident at Neshabur
I was thinking of this one the other day and wondering when it would be picked. Surprised it was still hanging out there

Hot damn, another obvious choice I never even considered. Wore this album out and don't recall there being a bad song on it.

My folks told me he used to play before he got big in a little park in Sausalito where all the hippies hung out (so much that the city closed the park, just to try to get the hippies to move on- they were sleeping there and bathing in a little fountain). I've never seen that mentioned in his bios, so not sure if that's true.
One of rock's finest minutes, starting at the 92 second mark.  https://youtu.be/RoTnvNWbPCk?list=OLAK5uy_nvcNfuoyMcB8NSLZ4TI7pjse86D-8A7SU&t=92

He schtupped an Olsen...is that what you're saying?
He passed, I think.

Jeff Koons?

Got any stories?
Nope.

I do have stories, but they're all pretty innocuous. He worked in a particular club in NYC that was famous for being a drag club, replete with drag shows and hip bachelorette parties. We did a mess of cocaine when they tried to open out a club/franchise out in Vegas and I was there. I had a transgendered person lolling naked in my comped hotel room while we did line after line of blow. It was a little surreal, but much better than the cat piss filth they were living in by the strip. Not glamorous, as it were.  Does that suffice as as story? Oh, I almost got in a fight with the dealers/proprietors of the bar who would give you cocaine in matchbooks if you asked for matches and slipped them eighty bucks. That's about as wild as it got. I won five grand one night, lost eight grand the next.

Good times. 

17.08 One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic (1978)

I'm gonna blow Smith Island off of whatever rock it's tied to. There's not a dud to be found on this LP. The title song is a classic, no matter how badly RHCP butchered it. Again, I'll spare the playlist the longer songs.

"Lunchmeataphobia" Hey, gee-tar fans! Want riffage? Turn this sucker up and take out extra insurance on the foundations of your house. 

"Maggot Brain (Live") I think this is Mike Hampton and not Eddie Hazel (who was "on a break"), but I kinda like it better than the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how this one will go over, but I need to have some Maiden on my island.   Probably not the one or two left available that people would take first, but in my old age this has become my most listened to.   Speaking of concept albums a bit ago...

17.01:  IRON MAIDEN - SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON (1988)

Hit me right at the time of Middle School. 
Great pick, my 3rd fav from them!

18.08 One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic (1978)

I'm gonna blow Smith Island off of whatever rock it's tied to. There's not a dud to be found on this LP. The title song is a classic, no matter how badly RHCP butchered it. Again, I'll spare the playlist the longer songs.

"Lunchmeataphobia" Hey, gee-tar fans! Want riffage? Turn this sucker up and take out extra insurance on the foundations of your house. 

"Maggot Brain (Live") I think this is Mike Hampton and not Eddie Hazel (who was "on a break"), but I kinda like it better than the original.
360 windmill dunk of a pick 

15        21    Binky the Doormat    -    The Allman Brothers Band    -    Eat A Peach
15        22    otb lifer    -    Type O Negative    -    Bloody Kisses
15        23    Eephus    -    Roxy Music    -    Country Life
15        24    Oliver Humanzee    -    autoskip    -    
15        25    Krista 4    -    Lucinda Williams    -    Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
15        26    landrys hat    -    Spoon    -    Gimme Fiction
15        27    JZilla    -    Incubus    -    Make Yourself
15        28    Mrs Rannous    -    Cherry Poppin' Daddies    -    Zoot Suit Riot
15        29    Mr Ected    -    Yes    -    90125
15        30    rcam    -    Various Artists    -    Pump Up The Volume Soundtrack
15        31    Hov34    -    Ben Folds    -    Rockin' The Suburbs
15        32    Ilov80s    -    At The Drive-In    -    Relationship Of Command
15        33    Dr Octopus    -    Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jabim    -    Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jabim
15        34    MAC 32    -        -    Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
15        35    RedmondLonghorn    -    The Police    -    Regatta de Blanc
15        36    Bonzai    -        -    R.E.M. - Murmur
15        37    Mister CIA    -    -   Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLuca - Friday Night in San Francisco
15        38    rockaction    -    Lauryn Hill    -    The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
15        39    simey    -    Kris Kristofferson     -    The Austin Sessions
15        40    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
16    .    0        -        -    
16    .    1    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
16    .    2    simey    -    Counting Crows    -    August & Everything After
16    .    3    rockaction    -    Kanye West    -    College Dropout
16    .    4    Mister CIA    -      -    Los Destellos - Sicodélicos
16    .    5    Bonzai    -        -    Metallica - Kill 'Em All
16    .    6    RedmondLonghorn    -        -    The Clash - Sandinista!
16    .    7    MAC 32    -    Janis Joplin    -    Pearl
16    .    8    Dr Octopus    -    Lou Reed    -    Transformer
16    .    9    Ilov80s    -    Aretha Franklin    -    I've Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You
16    .    10    Hov34    -        -    Leon Bridges - Good Thing
16    .    11    rcam    -        -    Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
16    .    12    Mr Ected    -        -     The Eagles - Live 
16    .    13    Mrs Rannous    -        -    Aerosmith - Pump
16    .    14    JZilla    -        -    Deftones - White Pony
16    .    15    landrys hat    -        -    Hawkwind - Space Ritual
16    .    16    krista 4    -        -    Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
16    .    17    Oliver Humanzee    -        -    SKIP
16    .    18    Eephus    -        -    Cheap Trick - at Budokan
16    .    19    otb lifer    -        -    Squeeze - Cool For Cats
16    .    20    Binky the Doormat    -        -    Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
16    .    21    Doug B    -        -    SKIP
16    .    22    Yo Mama    -        -    Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
16    .    23    mphtrilogy    -        -    Eva Cassidy - Songbird
16    .    24    shuke    -        -    skip
16    .    25    The Dreaded Marco    -    Elliott Smith - XO
16    .    26    Chaos Commish    -        -   Band of Horses - Acoustic at the Ryman
16    .    27    Charlie Steiner    -        -    Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message
16    .    28    Long Ball Larry    -        -    
16    .    29    Abrantes    -        -    Os Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare
16    .    30    El Floppo    -        -    Liz Phair - Exile in Guyvile
16    .    31    Steve Tasker    -        -    skip
16    .    32    Northern Voice    -        -    Lorde - Pure Heroine
16    .    33    Uruk-Hai    -        -    Parliament - Mothership Connection
16    .    34    PIK95    -        -    Eagles - Hotel California
16    .    35    wikkidpissah    -        -    Robert Plant & Allison Krauss - Raising Sand
16    .    36    timschochet    -        -    Adele - 21
16    .    37    wazoo11    -        -    
16    .    38    zamboni    -        -  John Coltrane - A Love Supreme    -    
16    .    39    Nigel Tufnel    -        -   F***** Up - David Comes To Life 
16    .    40    Karma Police    -        -    The National - Trouble Will Find Me

17        1    Karma Police    -   Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
17        2    Nigel Tufnel    -   The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
17        3    zamboni    -   
17        4    Wazoo11    -   
17        5    timschochet    -    @ then skip
17        6    wikkidpissah    -   Santana - Abraxas
17        7    PIK95    -   
17        8    Uruk-Hai    -    Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
17        9    Northern Voice    -    
17        10    Steve Tasker    -   
17        11    El Floppo    -    
17        12    Abrantes    -    
17        13    Long Ball Larry    -    
17        14    Charlie Steiner    -    
17        15    Chaos Commish    -    GONE FISHIN'  skip until further notice
17        16    The Dreaded Marco    -    
17        17    shuke    -     
17        18    mphtrilogy    -    
17        19    Yo Mama    -    
17        20    Doug B    -    permaskip    -    
17        21    Binky the Doormat    -    
17        22    otb lifer    -    
17        23    Eephus    -    
17        24    Oliver Humanzee    -    permaskip    -    
17        25    Krista 4    -    
17        26    landrys hat    -    
17        27    JZilla    -    
17        28    Mrs Rannous    -   
17        29    Mr Ected    -    
17        30    rcam    -    
17        31    Hov34    -    
17        32    Ilov80s    -    
17        33    Dr Octopus    -    
17        34    MAC 32    -        -    
17        35    RedmondLonghorn    -    
17        36    Bonzai    -        -    
17        37    Mister CIA    -    permaskip    -    
17        38    rockaction    -    
17        39    simey    -    
17        40    cosjobs    -    permaskip    -    

Black Magic Woman

Incident at Neshabur
Can't believe this is the first Santana in the draft.

He passed, I think.

Nope.

I do have stories, but they're all pretty innocuous. He worked in a particular club in NYC that was famous for being a drag club, replete with drag shows and hip bachelorette parties. We did a mess of cocaine when they tried to open out a club/franchise out in Vegas and I was there. I had a transgendered person lolling naked in my comped hotel room while we did line after line of blow. It was a little surreal, but much better than the cat piss filth they were living in by the strip. Not glamorous, as it were.  Does that suffice as as story? Oh, I almost got in a fight with the dealers/proprietors of the bar who would give you cocaine in matchbooks if you asked for matches and slipped them eighty bucks. That's about as wild as it got. I won five grand one night, lost eight grand the next.

Good times. 
Which club?

Lucky Cheng's, which should be right down your way
Thought so. Literally around the corner. Worst Chinese food in the city...which you don't notice until your 2nd or 20th time there. Was a fun place, even when it ultimately went the way of bachelorette parties for the b&t crowd.

You'll never guess what it's going to be next?!

Right. Luxury condos.

Users who are viewing this thread