What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

Ocean Size - Jane's Addiction. Farrell/Navarro would probably have been my Jagger/Richards if i'd been born a gen later. Which means i'd mostly be pissed that Navarro has wasted so much time being beautiful & famous & inked. Tasty 8.4
I saw a thing on Navarro last year. He was interviewed throughout it talking about his mother being murdered when he was in high school, and how he turned to drugs, cleaned up, etc.

Anyone have any vintage early 70's speakers they would highly recommend?  I'm trolling the net now for a buy.  Tia.
That's tough unless you can find a local seller.  A lot of early 70s speakers were still big heavy monsters that'll cost more to ship than to buy.

Acoustic Research was one of the pioneers of bookshelf speakers around that period.

One of my favorite rock n' roll songs. Ever. [Redacted] brought me to it in my teens. 

I'm up on the eleventh floor and I'm watching the cruisers below
He's down on the street and he's trying hard to pull sister Flo
Oh, my heart's in the basement, my weekend's at an all-time low
'Cause she's hoping to score, so I can't see her letting him go

I like to think of this group as two different entities. The major label suck hole that they became. And the indy label version that spawned this gem.

Round 17 - The Offspring, Smash 

There's part of me that wants to pick my two jams. There's another part of me that wants to pick two for the whole. And there's the other part of me that convinced @Yo Mama while a dozen deep last night to go tapeworm. So since I'm only a half dozen deep right now we'll toe the line in between.

Come Out & Play

Bad Habit

I like to think of this group as two different entities. The major label suck hole that they became. And the indy label version that spawned this gem.

You gotta keep ‘em separated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any particular JBL models?  Are Dynaco decent?  I have seen them mentioned a bit.  Never see them out there though.
dont remember Dynacos (dont remember a lot of 70s). I bought JBL floor models cuz they made good monitors and gave the bouncy castle sound 70s music wanted. dont remember models - havent an once of techno in me. i remember the small Advents being really clean and my choice for small rooms

That's tough unless you can find a local seller.  A lot of early 70s speakers were still big heavy monsters that'll cost more to ship than to buy.

Acoustic Research was one of the pioneers of bookshelf speakers around that period.
I actually have a local stereo discount shop I work with.  My knowledge is bad when it comes to older speakers.  I have a amazing pair of Theil cs 2.3, but I want a second setup.

Any of you have a band that's top 10 for you but you'd be hard pressed to draft a non greatest hits type album by them? 

Clutch is one of my fav bands but going thru their albums trying to decide which I'd draft for this is hard. It seems most of their albums are half killer, half filler and the ones that aren't don't have a standout track I'd just have to have.

1995 was kind to the Offspring. This album filtered into mainstream consciousness thanks to the push that Epitaph gave their artists by switching to major distribution. They began to get big in the world, taking their acts with it. MTV helped a bunch, too. The Offspring were not that well known a punk band before Smash. They were the next in line from Southern California and had more of a crossover metal/crunch sound than most of the Bay Area punks did. Perfect and ripe for the picking. They also had a whip-smart lead singer in Dexter Holland and used their savvy to break it. 

Any of you have a band that's top 10 for you but you'd be hard pressed to draft a non greatest hits type album by them? 

Clutch is one of my fav bands but going thru their albums trying to decide which I'd draft for this is hard. It seems most of their albums are half killer, half filler and the ones that aren't don't have a standout track I'd just have to have.
Most of Motown

17.35 Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows: The Songs of John Prine – Various Artists (2010)

Tribute albums can be a mess, or they can be amazing. This one is the latter. And I could conceivably see selecting two other tribute albums over the remainder of this draft. I have no idea if this album is even on anybody else’s radar, but I would be broken hearted if I didn’t get it (get it?).

I am embarrassed to admit that this album was my introduction to John Prine. I think he was a singer-songwriter with few peers. I would put him right next to Bob Dylan in that regard. And, like Dylan, his strength was really more the songwriter part than the singer part.

This album has some wonderful versions of his work by a variety of artists, though it does skew toward the hipster alt-country types. It’s just great and picking two songs is almost impossible, but I guess I have to do it.

Songs:

Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow) – performed by Justin Vernon/Bon Iver

Angel from Montgomery – performed by Old Crow Medicine Show

There's part of me that wants to pick my two jams. There's another part of me that wants to pick two for the whole. And there's the other part of me that convinced @Yo Mama while a dozen deep last night to go tapeworm. So since I'm only a half dozen deep right now we'll toe the line in between.

Come Out & Play

Bad Habit
My wife was in the live crowd shots for the Gotta Get Away video.  

It was filmed during a show at the Utah State Fairgrounds Coliseum in December, 1994.  We had recently moved to Salt Lake.  I was on call that night but she and a friend went to the show.  By entering the venue they agreed to be in the video.  

I've never been able to see either of them in the video, though.  Probably edited out because they were 25 years old at the time. 

There is one particular that only has one selected so far in which I may cave and go best of, but I'm not there yet. 
I think I know who you mean and IMO it's a solid move. I am trying to stick to more standard albums only but I am making a MASSIVE exception for one album so I won't hold a Greatest Hits album against anyone. 

Round 17.38 – Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele - 2000

Ghostface’s second solo effort and probably his finest. As evidenced by the jump of “Apollo Kids” on through the seductive “Cherchez La Ghost,” Ghostface waxes abstractly and confidently over a diverse set of beats. Probably the best user of detail and metaphor at the time in rap/hip hop, Ghost was always painting a picture with his emceeing. From 1996-2000, and spanning two albums, Ghost might have been the uncrowned King of New York City except for chart popularity. But the documents stand. This is testimony.

We Made It

Cherchez La Ghost

The Jam. I came to them late, wore out their Snap! compilation, figured i owed em some album love, but kept wondering why i wasnt listening to Snap instead each time

Time to draft some Percy. I know I've told the story before in the past about how my dad played him constantly when I was little. He listened to other artists in the house, but on road trips it was mainly Percy for at least a decade until dad discovered Freddy F'ing Fender. I warmed up to Percy during my college years.  I was hoping Spotify would have his Live! from Louisiana with The Aces Band, but it was a no go. I'll take this album instead since it is on Spotify. It has a lot of good ones like Cover Me, Take Time to Know Her, Sudden Stop, Out of Left Field, and Baby Help Me.

Round 17

Take Time To Know Her - Percy Sledge (1968)

Cover Me

Take Time to Know Her

Interesting how having almost no options and having unlimited options led back to a similar place with music 
Artists today have much more control on how their work is assembled into albums but the economics of streaming services incentivizes putting as many tracks as possible on albums.

💀

13.x cosjobs Talking Heads - Mores Songs About Buildings and Food
14.x cosjobs Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night
15.x cosjobs Willis Alan Ramsey - Willis Alan Ramsey

15        21    Binky the Doormat    -    The Allman Brothers Band    -    Eat A Peach
15        22    otb lifer    -    Type O Negative    -    Bloody Kisses
15        23    Eephus    -    Roxy Music    -    Country Life
15        24    Oliver Humanzee    -    autoskip    -    
15        25    Krista 4    -    Lucinda Williams    -    Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
15        26    landrys hat    -    Spoon    -    Gimme Fiction
15        27    JZilla    -    Incubus    -    Make Yourself
15        28    Mrs Rannous    -    Cherry Poppin' Daddies    -    Zoot Suit Riot
15        29    Mr Ected    -    Yes    -    90125
15        30    rcam    -    Various Artists    -    Pump Up The Volume Soundtrack
15        31    Hov34    -    Ben Folds    -    Rockin' The Suburbs
15        32    Ilov80s    -    At The Drive-In    -    Relationship Of Command
15        33    Dr Octopus    -    Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jabim    -    Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jabim
15        34    MAC 32    -        -    Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
15        35    RedmondLonghorn    -    The Police    -    Regatta de Blanc
15        36    Bonzai    -        -    R.E.M. - Murmur
15        37    Mister CIA    -    -   Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLuca - Friday Night in San Francisco
15        38    rockaction    -    Lauryn Hill    -    The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
15        39    simey    -    Kris Kristofferson     -    The Austin Sessions
15        40    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
16    .    0        -        -    
16    .    1    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
16    .    2    simey    -    Counting Crows    -    August & Everything After
16    .    3    rockaction    -    Kanye West    -    College Dropout
16    .    4    Mister CIA    -      -    Los Destellos - Sicodélicos
16    .    5    Bonzai    -        -    Metallica - Kill 'Em All
16    .    6    RedmondLonghorn    -        -    The Clash - Sandinista!
16    .    7    MAC 32    -    Janis Joplin    -    Pearl
16    .    8    Dr Octopus    -    Lou Reed    -    Transformer
16    .    9    Ilov80s    -    Aretha Franklin    -    I've Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You
16    .    10    Hov34    -        -    Leon Bridges - Good Thing
16    .    11    rcam    -        -    Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
16    .    12    Mr Ected    -        -     The Eagles - Live 
16    .    13    Mrs Rannous    -        -    Aerosmith - Pump
16    .    14    JZilla    -        -    Deftones - White Pony
16    .    15    landrys hat    -        -    Hawkwind - Space Ritual
16    .    16    krista 4    -        -    Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
16    .    17    Oliver Humanzee    -        -    SKIP
16    .    18    Eephus    -        -    Cheap Trick - at Budokan
16    .    19    otb lifer    -        -    Squeeze - Cool For Cats
16    .    20    Binky the Doormat    -        -    Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
16    .    21    Doug B    -        -    SKIP
16    .    22    Yo Mama    -        -    Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
16    .    23    mphtrilogy    -        -    Eva Cassidy - Songbird
16    .    24    shuke    -        -    skip
16    .    25    The Dreaded Marco    -    Elliott Smith - XO
16    .    26    Chaos Commish    -        -   Band of Horses - Acoustic at the Ryman
16    .    27    Charlie Steiner    -        -    Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message
16    .    28    Long Ball Larry    -        -    Fugazi - In On The Kill Taker
16    .    29    Abrantes    -        -    Os Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare
16    .    30    El Floppo    -        -    Liz Phair - Exile in Guyvile
16    .    31    Steve Tasker    -        -    skip
16    .    32    Northern Voice    -        -    Lorde - Pure Heroine
16    .    33    Uruk-Hai    -        -    Parliament - Mothership Connection
16    .    34    PIK95    -        -    Eagles - Hotel California
16    .    35    wikkidpissah    -        -    Robert Plant & Allison Krauss - Raising Sand
16    .    36    timschochet    -        -    Adele - 21
16    .    37    wazoo11    -        -    Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle
16    .    38    zamboni    -        -  John Coltrane - A Love Supreme    -    
16    .    39    Nigel Tufnel    -        -   F***** Up - David Comes To Life 
16    .    40    Karma Police    -        -    The National - Trouble Will Find Me

17        1    Karma Police    -   Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
17        2    Nigel Tufnel    -   The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
17        3    zamboni    -   Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield  Again
17        4    Wazoo11    -   Sharon Van Etton - Remind Me Tomorrow
17        5    timschochet    -    Billie Eilish- When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
17        6    wikkidpissah    -   Santana - Abraxas
17        7    PIK95    -   Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hot 
17        8    Uruk-Hai    -    Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
17        9    Northern Voice    -    Pearl Jam - Ten
17        10    Steve Tasker    -   
17        11    El Floppo    -    Fugazi- 13 Songs
17        12    Abrantes    -    The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic
17        13    Long Ball Larry    -    The Dead Weather - Horehound
17        14    Charlie Steiner    -    The Bangles - Different Light
17        15    Chaos Commish    -    Carlos Santana with John Mclaughlin - Live at Montreux 2011 - Invitation to Illumination
17        16    The Dreaded Marco    -    TV on the Radio - Young Liars EP
17        17    shuke    -     
17        18    mphtrilogy    -    Keane - Hopes and Fears
17        19    Yo Mama    -    System of a Down - Toxicity
17        20    Doug B    -    permaskip    -    
17        21    Binky the Doormat    -    Small Faces - There Are But Four Small Faces
17        22    otb lifer    -    Siouxsie & The Banshees - JuJu
17        23    Eephus    -    Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
17        24    Oliver Humanzee    -    permaskip    -    
17        25    Krista 4    -    The Both - The Both
17        26    landrys hat    -    The Black Angels - Passover
17        27    JZilla    -    Michael Jackson - Thriller
17        28    Mrs Rannous    -   
17        29    Mr Ected    -    
17        30    rcam    -    Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
17        31    Hov34    -    Foster The People - Torches
17        32    Ilov80s    -    Nina Simone - Pastel Blues
17        33    Dr Octopus    -    The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
17        34    MAC 32    -        -    The Offspring - Smash
17        35    RedmondLonghorn    -    Various Artists - Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows: The Songs of John Prine
17        36    Bonzai    -        -    
17        37    Mister CIA    -    permaskip    -    
17        38    rockaction    -    Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele
17        39    simey    -    Percy Sledge - Take Time To Know Her
17        40    cosjobs    -    permaskip    -    

18    .    1    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
18    .    2    simey    -    The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup
18    .    3    rockaction    -    
18    .    4    Mister CIA    -   
18    .    5    Bonzai    -      
18    .    6    RedmondLonghorn    -        

I think I know who you mean and IMO it's a solid move. I am trying to stick to more standard albums only but I am making a MASSIVE exception for one album so I won't hold a Greatest Hits album against anyone. 
I thought that wasn't allowed?  There are a couple of Groups I would have done that with in the first five rounds if it was.

I thought that wasn't allowed?  There are a couple of Groups I would have done that with in the first five rounds if it was.
I think we really discouraged those kinds of compilations but also agreed it's your island, draft whatever you want. I doubt we will ever get everyone to agree to exact rules. The album I plan to take is a legitimate movie soundtrack so it is fair game, but a bit of a sneaky move. 

I think we really discouraged those kinds of compilations but also agreed it's your island, draft whatever you want. I doubt we will ever get everyone to agree to exact rules. The album I plan to take is a legitimate movie soundtrack so it is fair game, but a bit of a sneaky move. 
@Eephus approves

@Eephus approves
If you draft The Big Chill, expect to be taunted as a boomer wannabe. 

Users who are viewing this thread