What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (6 Viewers)

I've never heard of these guys until this draft, but I appreciate how much you like these guys  :thumbup:

The 11 minute song came on the playlist a few days ago and I was into it
There is a reason.  They are that good.  I am usually predictable in that I like good bands.  Arcade Fire was my favorite until Disco Biscuits came along.  Before that growing up, it was Zep, Springsteen, R.E.M. and even some Motown. Now it Bisco time.  And I can't stress enough how much them (for free) live streaming EVERY show adds to the experience.  I wish people would give them a chance.  Nobody like them out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was going to go a different way this round, and I had Snail Mail and my 1st pick written down for the next turn, y'all sniping mo-fos forced my hand a little more.  Can't be on the island without a couple of my current favorite songs and albums.   

Yes, I know I overdraft and talk about this one too much, but here you go again...

18.xx : PHOEBE BRIDGERS - STRANGER IN THE ALPS (2017)

Motion Sickness

Georgia

I guess we will have a Sleater-Kinney run! 

19.01:  SLEATER-KINNEY --  DIG ME OUT (1997)

One More Hour

Dig Me Out

Now I can't wait to watch as the 2 I was going to pick here get sniped too, but at least I get these.  Prefer them, just thought I could wait on Bridgers and Snail Mail a hot second more.  

KarmaPolice said:
Will clean up and post picks later.  I dont think the 1st pick is taken, but not 100% sure:

20.??:  DEPECHE MODE - VIOLATOR (1990) 

Policy of Truth

Halo

Been holding onto this one too long, and dont trust the snipes, especially with another hard/metal person coming in (I think)  one of the more important albums for me when it came out, and still hold up.  

21.01:  QUEENSRYCHE - OPERATION: MINDCRIME (1988) 

I Don't Believe in Love

Eyes of a Stranger
Updated with song picks.  Looks like we are starting to round on my next picks, so I need to research the next couple albums that are going to get sniped.  

22.24 Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live From The Fox Oakland (2017)

Tracklist:
Don't Know What It Means
Keep On Growing    
Bird On The Wire    
Within You. Without You    
Just As Strange    
Crying Over You    
These Walls    
Anyhow <--can't find a youtube link for the version from this album
Right On Time    
Leavin' Trunk    
Don't Drift Away    
I Want More    
I Pity The Fool    
Ali    
Let Me Get By

Update (comments not mine)

22    .    1    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
22    .    2    simey    -    John Prine    -    Live!
22    .    3    rockaction    -    Justin Timberlake    -    Futuresex/Lovesounds
22    .    4    Mister CIA    -    permaskip    -    
22    .    5    Bonzai    -    Uncle Tupelo    -    No Depression
22    .    6    RedmondLonghorn    -    Royal Blood    -    Out of the Blood
22    .    7    MAC32    -    Greta Van Fleet    -    From The Fires
22    .    8    Dr Octopus    -    The Rolling Stones    -    Between the Buttons
22    .    9    Ilov80s    -    Various artists    -    American Graffiti Soundtrack
22    .    10    Hov34    -    Borns    -    Dopamine
22    .    11    rcam    -    The Smiths    -    Louder Than Bombs
22    .    12    Mr Ected    -    skip for dinner - chicken parm    -    
22    .    13    Mrs Rannous    -    ELO    -    Out of the Blue
22    .    14    JZilla    -    Savages    -    Silence Yourself
22    .    15    landrys hat    -    Hum    -    You'd Prefer an Astronaut
22    .    16    krista 4    -    Bonnie "Prince" Billy    -    I See A Darkness
22    .    17    Raging weasel    -    Black Sabbath    -    Black Sabbath
22    .    18    Eephus    -    Public Image Ltd.    -    Second Edition (Metal Box)
22    .    19    otb lifer    -    Bauhaus    -    In the Flat Field
22    .    20    Binky the Doormat    -    The Moody Blues    -    Days Of Future Past
22    .    21    Buffaloes    -    Yo La Tengo    -    I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
22    .    22    Yo Mama    -    The Black Keys    -    El Camino
22    .    23    mphtrilogy    -    ITC but searching for a vowel    -    
22    .    24    shuke    -    skip - I'm assuming wings for dinner    -    
22    .    25    The Dreaded Marco    -     ITC but at Will Oldham film fest    -    
22    .    26    Chaos Commish    -    permaskip    -    
22    .    27    Charlie Steiner    -    ITC    -    
22    .    28    Long Ball Larry    -    skip until further notice    -    
22    .    29    Abrantes    -        -    
22    .    30    El Floppo    -    10 minute clock    -    
22    .    31    Steve Tasker    -    daytime skip    -    
22    .    32    Northern Voice    -        -    
22    .    33    Uruk-Hai    -        -    
22    .    34    PIK95    -        -    
22    .    35    wikkidpissah    -        -    

Gotta say, I'm pretty thrilled to see Jean Grae get picked in this draft.  Never in a million years did I expect someone to take a Jean Grae album, much respect.
Thanks. Glad to hear it. I think we talked about her ages ago via PM one draft. I think I still lived in CT. ####, we've been on this board a long time, that's what that tells me. Must've been almost seven or eight years or so ago. 

I don't know whether my 22.03 counts as hip hop in the strict sense, but I think it skirts the line I'm trying to go for here.

Final verdict? Let her stand!

Kind of feel dirty taking this. It is a compilation album but also not a compilation album. It was the first US release with many of the songs/b-sides/singles. I bought this - with my allowance - because I loved Ferris Bueller's Day Off (though Please, Please, Please was already taken with a UK release). Both of these were singles.

Round 22) Louder than Bombs - The Smiths (1987)

Ask 

Brings back funny memories. I had a relatively hot lab TA in one of my college freshman chem classes -who, unfortunately, had a serious boyfriend (and was probably 6ish years older than me). My lab partner and I would serenade this to her whenever we had calorimeter bomb experiments:

"Because if it's not love, then it's the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, that will bring us together." I probably don't have to tell you that it never really got either of us anything more than a condescending smile.

Panic
Panic is my "favorite" Smiths' song, but after seeing Morrissey in that video I don't think I've every wanted to punch someone more in my life.

Panic is my "favorite" Smiths' song, but after seeing Morrissey in that video I don't think I've every wanted to punch someone more in my life.
LOL - I know. I thought about finding a different video of the song but then thought, if that is the way Morrissey wants to be then that is the way he wants to be. I suppose we can just all be thankful that he has never had to do a Superbowl halftime performance. 

:lmao: The late night draft crew owns even with limited picks and me being roughly 1.66 negronis in (maybe because of it)

Kind of feel dirty taking this. It is a compilation album but also not a compilation album. It was the first US release with many of the songs/b-sides/singles. I bought this - with my allowance - because I loved Ferris Bueller's Day Off (though Please, Please, Please was already taken with a UK release). Both of these were singles.

Round 22) Louder than Bombs - The Smiths (1987)

Ask 

Brings back funny memories. I had a relatively hot lab TA in one of my college freshman chem classes -who, unfortunately, had a serious boyfriend (and was probably 6ish years older than me). My lab partner and I would serenade this to her whenever we had calorimeter bomb experiments:

"Because if it's not love, then it's the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, that will bring us together." I probably don't have to tell you that it never really got either of us anything more than a condescending smile.

Panic
I missed the rcam story between phone and computer but that's some top shelf nerding right there.

I should listen to more Allman Brothers

The Clash to One Armed Scissor by At the Drive In was a smooth transition.

Eight minutes of Jethro Tull.  In this economy?

One of my best friends in high school was a Tull fan.  He's gone on to play the bagpipes.  He plays at weddings and stuff so I guess he's semi-pro.

Wolf Like Me - TVOTR  This used to be in my mix when I used to run a lot.  Still makes me want to kick for the next block.

Why Does Love Have To Be So Sad - Derek & Dominos - It's got that Southeastern Conference rhythm section

Round 20) Madstock! - Madness (1992) 

Wings Of A Dove

Bed And Breakfast Man

It was a $24.99 import (quite expensive for a high school rcam) and live recording of a Madness reunion in the UK. The energy of this album is palpable. The crowd of 60000+ is singing along the whole time and, according to reports, jumping in unison to such an extent people were reporting earthquakes as the surrounding area and buildings of the event were shaking. I love Madness, and could've taken this at 1.1, but, TBH, I don't particularly like studio Madness. Live Madness is several orders of magnitude better than studio Madness (which I have found to be almost utterly unique). I'm not sure if Spotify has this album, but, if it doesn't, I highly, highly recommend taking a listen on youtube or iTunes.
For anyone interested, the Madstock! event was over two different days. I am not sure if the recording is a mix of the two days or only one performance (I suspect they probably took the best sounding version if they played a song more than once). I know that the album has a Jimmy Cliff cover of They Harder They Come (which is not in this linked video) and doesn't have two or three songs performed in this video. Here is one night of Madstock! Madness in 1992. One Step Beyond, Baggy Trousers, and House of Fun have some good shots of the crowd pogosticking. Ok... no more Madness plugging I swear.

Edit: Bah... maybe this is 1998... a different show. Perhaps this one? 1992 .... damn the internet and it's lack of fact checking.

I better not wait on this one anymore a few recent faves just came off the board .  Took this first in the Best of the Decade Draft, just a great vibe to the whole record.

Rd 22 - Ben Howard - Every Kingdom - 2011

• Only Love
  • The Fear

🎶  🚬   :coffee:   🚬  🎶

... 5:27 a.m. shufflin'

Slaves & Bulldozers - Cornell University

wow ... talk about sludgy - always heard the Sabbath comparisons, but never delved into Soundgarden's catalog (i was a guy with a grunge grudge) enough to confirm. well, we got confirmation in spades - would love to hear Bill Ward's drums, instead - but that's a small nitpick - really think i missed a big boat with these guys ... plenty of time to rectify that - 10

Winona - Matty Blitz

neat segue 🤔 light and winsome enough, slight country vibe, which i dig ... not horrible, but nothing very memorable or affirming - 6.0

Excursions - Johnny Quest

the 'talker' here sounds too ####in' reedy - blow yer ####in' nose, chief - canned beats make me wanna poke my eyeballs out - credit for a melodic track, but it felt like this could've ended after 30 seconds and been much better (wait, Poe mention - which is lovely) - 4.0

Liberation - Overkast

blows the Quest song out the water ... rich and layered enough to hold my attention, beautiful track beneath the words - these guys seem to be pretty damn good - 7.5

Black - PJ Carlesimos

went on a laborious jag many moons ago about how this tune touches every nerve ... not ever gonna love them, but i couldn't love this more if i wanted to, and i always do - it's simply mind blowing - 10+

Warszawa - The Man Who Fell To Berlin

my daughter's dance academy did an interpretative/avant garde performance piece last Spring - it was set against accompaniment that stirred visions of the whole "Low" album - a huge paint blob would hit the floor prior to each number (along with a fresh canvas), and the girls choreography was centeted around creating an abstract painting which was then put up for sale (proceeds to charity). i kept nudging my girlfriend to rattle off the particular "Low" song i would've matched to each number ... the finale screamed "Warszawa" - would've been a seamless fit. oh, and this is tons more goff than 54 Hot Topic stores thrown into a blender with Marilyn Manson - 10+

Move Over - Pearly

shuffle is on a serious heater right now, three killers in a row - the bass line in this is quantum, as is the woman belting it all out - cookin' - 9.0

Pink Turns To Blue - Mouldy Hart

four on the floor now - the swirling guitar captures the essence of this outfit ... as does the crunching middle, the shimmering backing vocals really showed a studio maturity - Hüsker Dü need so much more love - 10

The Great Curve - Chatty Byrnes

Costanza: "those musicians and their complicated shoes!!!1!" - pretty much sums up my experience with the Heads ... never warmed, and i'm not warming now - 5.0

Time Warp - Dr. Sabrett & Co.

yes, i have a pulse, ergo ... i love it - 10

final tally:

2 cuppas 

11 smokes

10 tunes

8.3 avg

hell of a shuffle, keepin' me on my musical toes ... thank you all for the contributions - SMASH or TRASH - it's all good - impressive piece of aural anarchy ✌

(TWO CELLOS " Smoove Criminal" just came on as i'm typing - HFS ... too damn good!)

@Charlie Steiner may now enter the chamber.  Or don't.  See if I care.
Didn't think going into the chamber was optional; therefore I spent the night there.  Suffice it to say, my sleep WAS affected. Maybe that explains my next pick...

22.27: Seal II - Seal

This album came out during my brief yuppie phase, I was working my first full-time job after college, making almost decent money and experiencing life without homework. It was also the first of many entry-level jobs I would have over the next 5 years.

For the Spotify list: gotta have the ICONIC Kiss From a Rose and Newborn Friend.

22    .    23    mphtrilogy    -    ITC but searching for a vowel    -    
22    .    24    shuke    -    skip - I'm assuming wings for dinner    -    
22    .    25    The Dreaded Marco    -     ITC but at Will Oldham film fest    -    
22    .    26    Chaos Commish    -    permaskip    -    
22    .    27    Charlie Steiner    -    ITC    -    
22    .    28    Long Ball Larry    -    skip until further notice    -    
22    .    29    Abrantes    -        -    
22    .    30    El Floppo    -    10 minute clock    -    
22    .    31    Steve Tasker    -    daytime skip    -    
22    .    32    Northern Voice    -        -    
22    .    33    Uruk-Hai    -        -    
22    .    34    PIK95    -        -    
22    .    35    wikkidpissah    -    

Looks like the three who were ITC last night just picked, so according to this

@Abrantes, @El Floppo, and @Northern Voice  enter the chamber?  Then Floppo is on a short timer so @Uruk-Hai will be able to go very shortly after the timer starts.   

Have a day off today, so time for a wake and bake.  Oops, sorry - a wake and shuffle.  

22.29 Elis Regina & Antonio Carlos Jobim, Elis & Tom (1974)

Águas de Março
Retrato em Branco e Preto

Mornin'. :coffee:  

I'm partly giving the other drafters time here to see if they snipe a couple picks from me, 'cause I could go past 40 rounds at this point.

This is a meeting between two of the finest and most iconic artists Brazilian music's ever seen. I'm actually not someone who'll listen to bossa nova all day every day, but this record's a treasure. I love reading about the recording process for this one because it gives me a sense of Tom and Elis's humanity. They were at very different points in their careers, and there was a tricky balance to be achieved between acoustic/electric sounds and classic/modern styles, which naturally led to tension, but the end result is a thing of beauty.

Wish I could've included Só Tinha de Ser com Você too, 'cause it's such a beautiful song (both this version and so many others), but "Águas de Março" is iconic and "Retrato" is not only incredibly powerful, but a great contrast as the other playlist pick.

Hope the song links work for y'all this time.  :ph34r:

22.30... David Sylvian- Gone to Earth

Wave

Taking the veil

I've elsewhere and frequently mentioned my profound weakness for Sylvian, starting early in HS with Japan and following his solo career that lost his Japan fans of my group (too boring, too self important, too pretentious).

His music has been a good friend to me since the 80s, from getting me through rough spots to celebrating good ones. He has a habit of making everything with an undercurrent of sadness...even his beautiful love songs like Wave. I don't usually do Taking the Veil, but it has a more Japany sound to it and felt good this morning.

I'm sure these will be play list skippers...don't care.

you friggin' hippies and yer wacky tobacky 🤢 maybe i need a righteous Bourbon shuffle, or twenty - can't be puffin' the magic dragon 🤔
Even on the very rare occasion that I am able to partake, I have never done the wake and bake.  I am too much of a lightweight.  

Just a ####ty cup of coffee and some good tunes to drown out the crabby kids this am for me.  ;)

I've picked this a few times in different drafts. It has their biggest hit (which was my first dance wedding song) and made them huge but beyond that, it works so well as an album. An album full of love songs, incredible vocals and so many different horns and string sections, Arcade Fire are jealous. 

Honestly, any two songs from this for the playlist are fine with me. I initially picked "Starlings" and "The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver" - deeper cuts to emphasize the full album aspect at play here.  "The Bones of You" and "Grounds for Divorce" are great more rocking songs and probably the second and third best knwn songs from the album. "An Audience With the Pope" and "The Fix" tell great stories. "Friend of Ours" is probably my favourite "eulogy" song ever.

In the end, I'll go with two of the big love songs (including One Day Like This on the off chance anyone hasn't heard it) because that's what this album represents most to me.

22.32 - Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid (2008)

1.    "Starlings"    5:05
2.    "The Bones of You"    4:49
3.    "Mirrorball"    5:50
4.    "Grounds for Divorce"    3:39
5.    "An Audience with the Pope"    4:27
6.    "Weather to Fly"    4:29
7.    "The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver"    5:14
8.    "The Fix"    4:27
9.    "Some Riot"    5:23
10.    "One Day Like This"    6:34
11.    "Friend of Ours"     4:38

I guess along with commish, that means @PIK95 and @wikkidpissah are officially ITC>  
With my pick @wazoo11 moves into the chamber but he's asked to be skipped for the next bit. That puts @zamboni ITC.

He is on a 10 minute clock but I don't think we need to be too rigid on these short clocks this morning. This moved pretty well yesterday and the short clock basically is people saying they don't want to hold up the draft. So we won't hold it up but we don't need to move at the frenetic pace we were at for a while yesterday.

22.30... David Sylvian- Gone to Earth

Wave

Taking the veil

I've elsewhere and frequently mentioned my profound weakness for Sylvian, starting early in HS with Japan and following his solo career that lost his Japan fans of my group (too boring, too self important, too pretentious).

His music has been a good friend to me since the 80s, from getting me through rough spots to celebrating good ones. He has a habit of making everything with an undercurrent of sadness...even his beautiful love songs like Wave. I don't usually do Taking the Veil, but it has a more Japany sound to it and felt good this morning.

I'm sure these will be play list skippers...don't care.
I have you as still owing round 21.

With my pick @wazoo11 moves into the chamber but he's asked to be skipped for the next bit. That puts @zamboni ITC.

He is on a 10 minute clock but I don't think we need to be too rigid on these short clocks this morning. This moved pretty well yesterday and the short clock basically is people saying they don't want to hold up the draft. So we won't hold it up but we don't need to move at the frenetic pace we were at for a while yesterday.
You can skip me here. Didn't expect it to come around that fast. Will make it up shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread