What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

Sorry if you don't.

Thanks for trying.  I bet everyone would like the Hot Air Balloon rock opera performed on 12/31/18.  The video is on YouTube so I'll throw it out tonight when things slow down in here.  Holly B and Tom Hamilton made cameos.  If you don't like that, then I will leave everyone alone.
No worries, it's the same reason I don't like a lot of the 70s stuff. I like guitar solos, I don't like 3+ minute ones. They just don't do anything for me. Maybe if I was high at Bonnaroo laying in the grass letting it wash over me or whatever but for the most part, give me hooks, bridges, choruses, tunes etc... I want highs and lows and builds and drops, not a bunch of the same (the Disco Biscuits song did do lots of this too, just the big solo noodley stuff in the middle was where it lost me).

speaking of 3 chords, but lacking production value...

I'm missing my 21..

21.... Guided By Voices- Bee Thousand (eta- 1994)

tractor rape chain

I am a scientist (school mate of floppinho's- the only other percussionist- at the special music school's dad is in a band called "we are scientists"... I keep forgetting to ask him if it's from this song).

bonus- smothered in hugs. love the song, love the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when we broke up, the first time
Saying, "This is it, I've had enough"
'Cause like we hadn't seen each other in a month
When you, said you, needed space (what?)
Then you come around again and say
"Baby, I miss you and I swear I'm gonna change, trust me"
Remember how that lasted for a day?
I say, I hate you, we break up, you call me, I love you

Ooh, oh-oh, oh-oh
We called it off again last night
But ooh, oh-oh, oh-oh
This time I'm telling you, I'm telling you

We are never ever, ever getting back together
We are never ever, ever getting back together
You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me
But we are never ever, ever, ever getting back together

Like, ever

Orch Theme for the win!
Man I hope this becomes a lyrics discussion, the old bands will... not fair well.

No worries, it's the same reason I don't like a lot of the 70s stuff. I like guitar solos, I don't like 3+ minute ones. They just don't do anything for me. Maybe if I was high at Bonnaroo laying in the grass letting it wash over me or whatever but for the most part, give me hooks, bridges, choruses, tunes etc... I want highs and lows and builds and drops, not a bunch of the same (the Disco Biscuits song did do lots of this too, just the big solo noodley stuff in the middle was where it lost me).
THIS.  This is why I love them honestly.  Lead guitarist plays melodies even.  You gotta give it another shot when I play some HAB.  The Very Moon, Eulogy, Once the Fiddler Played, and the title track are all beautiful and intricate.  Anyway, the lawn is calling.

Man I hope this becomes a lyrics discussion, the old bands will... not fair well.
Oh
The machine of a dream, such a clean machine
With the pistons a pumpin', and the hubcaps all gleam
When I'm holding your wheel
All I hear is your gear
With my hand on your grease gun
Mmm, it's like a disease, son
I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile
Get a grip on my boy racer roll bar
Such a thrill when your radials squeal

Told my girl I'll have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburetor
So she made tracks saying this is the end, now
Cars don't talk back they're just four wheeled friends now

When I'm holding your wheel
All I hear is your gear
When I'm cruisin' in overdrive
Don't have to listen to no run of the mill talk jive

I'm in love with my car (love with my car), gotta feel for my automobile
I'm in love with my car (love with my car), string back gloves in my automolove

So can't write = can't write hits? Because in those old days, the cream rose to the top and didn't have to play legion halls, right? 

No one can write these days? Are Nickelback are not single groove because they write big fat guitar hits like the old dudes did?
as soon as you prove that you want to understand, i'll go further. you've already won, if you dont want me to answer anymore. good job. my last word for now will be that i would have tried w you just for drill & outrage at the end of the last cosdraft™. song after shamelessly shapeless song - either single-groove or strummy 4/4 - of unqualified dithering ruined the last 1/3 of that. enjoy your win, eh?

I loved his voice the instant I heard for the first time, and that love has only grown. He's a great entertainer too. Dig him.

Round 23

Pontiac - Lyle Lovett (1987)

I Loved You Yesterday

She's No Lady

Bonus Track: Friend of the Devil   I love his cover of that Dead song on the tribute album Deadicated.
Saw Lyle  a year after this record came out at the Bottom Line in NYC, MCC opened,, the late show at that time so he came out around midnight, they did two shows at the bottom line the 7pm early show and the 10 pm late show.  Came out with a big band and big hair and blew us away.  Nice pick!

as soon as you prove that you want to understand, i'll go further. you've already won, if you dont want me to answer anymore. good job. my last word for now will be that i would have tried w you just for drill & outrage at the end of the last cosdraft™. song after shamelessly shapeless song - either single-groove or strummy 4/4 - of unqualified dithering. enjoy your win, eh?
Here I come baby
I'm coming to get you
Aw, foxy lady yeah yeah (Foxy)
Oh, you look so good (Foxy)
Foxy
Oh yeah (Foxy)
Aw foxy
Yeah (Foxy)
Get it, babe (Foxy)
Foxy
You make me feel like (Foxy)
Feel like saying
Foxy
Ah lady (Foxy)
Foxy (Foxy) lady
Foxy lady

I watched a bit of the stream last night.  Struck me as something that I'd enjoy seeing live but just didn't get me going watching on the computer screen.  They're not unlike many of the jam bands I've seen live and enjoyed prior, but strike me as a band that I'd enjoy live but never really listen to their studio stuff.  It has its place for me, but not an everyday listen.

as soon as you prove that you want to understand, i'll go further. you've already won, if you dont want me to answer anymore. good job. my last word for now will be that i would have tried w you just for drill & outrage at the end of the last cosdraft™. song after shamelessly shapeless song - either single-groove or strummy 4/4 - of unqualified dithering ruined the last 1/3 of that. enjoy your win, eh?
I mock, what I don't understand.  Honestly as long as its not post 1990 country, I'm usually in.

as soon as you prove that you want to understand, i'll go further. you've already won, if you dont want me to answer anymore. good job. my last word for now will be that i would have tried w you just for drill & outrage at the end of the last cosdraft™. song after shamelessly shapeless song - either single-groove or strummy 4/4 - of unqualified dithering. enjoy your win, eh?
I wasn't in the last cosdraft... 

I think younger ears can appreciate old and new sounds - like the videos of hearing classics for the first time that people loved in here so much. I think often it just doesn't work the same way in reverse, especially once you stop actively listening to what is new for any period of time. Maybe it's physiological, maybe it's social, maybe it's single groove.

Here I come baby
I'm coming to get you
Aw, foxy lady yeah yeah (Foxy)
Oh, you look so good (Foxy)
Foxy
Oh yeah (Foxy)
Aw foxy
Yeah (Foxy)
Get it, babe (Foxy)
Foxy
You make me feel like (Foxy)
Feel like saying
Foxy
Ah lady (Foxy)
Foxy (Foxy) lady
Foxy lady
There's good and bad lyrics in every generation - and good and bad music. Personally there's so many more choices now, everyone should be able to find things they like.

I could never understand the wind at all
Was like a ball of love
I could never, never see the cosmic sea
Was like a bumblebee

And when I'm sad, I slide

I have never, never kissed a car before
It's like a door
I have always, always grown my own before
All schools are strange

Oh, slide

Do do do do do do do do do do

I have never, never nailed a nose before
That's how the garden grows
Was like a ball of love

There's good and bad lyrics in every generation - and good and bad music. Personally there's so many more choices now, everyone should be able to find things they like.
For sure, I guess I take pride in listening to and appreciating a lot of different genres and eras and styles and I love music so much I'd like other people to appreciate all the different variations, whether it's P!nk or Pink Floyd. Anyway, it's subjective, pointless argument. I just wondered if there was really a meaning behind "single groove" because it doesn't seem to fit in terms of lyrics, complexity, production... it seems it's more a "you had to be there" argument.

holy crap... this thing went on and on- had no idea. had to snip it down a lot... hope it doesn't mess with the iambic pentameter and song structure they set up. 

Come my lady, come come my lady.
You're my butterfly, sugar baby.
Come my lady, you're my pretty baby.
I'll make your legs shake, you make me go crazy.

Such a sexy, sexy pretty little thing
Fierce nipple pierce you got me sprung with your tongue ring
and I ain't gonna lie cause your loving gets me high
So to keep you by my side there's nothing that I won't try
Butterflies in her eyes and looks to kill
Time is passing
I'm asking could this be real
Cause I can't sleep I can't hold still
The only thing I really know is she got sex appeal
I can feel too much is never enough
You're always there to lift me up
When these times get rough I was lost Now I'm found
Ever since you've been around
You're the women that I want
So yo, I'm putting it down.

I don't deserve you unless
it's some kind of hidden message to show me life is precious
Then I guess it's true
To tell truth, I really never knew
Till I met you I was lost and confused
Twisted and used up
Knew a better life existed but thought that I missed it
My lifestyle is wild I was living like a wild child
Trapped on a short leash paroled the police files
And yo. What' s happening now?
I see the sun breaking shining through dark clouds
and a vision of you standing out in a crowd.

Dont help, Oc. He's trying to win with empty, dismissive scorn, now the national pastime. When he makes his first point more evolved than, "i like this wormspew and swallow every drop shoved down my throat"..... This board was asked months ago to list a 21st C artistic achievement which exceeded any well-considered 20th C piece. There was one answer - Hamilton. I'm literally done now, since i have no format by which to offer the true authority of my understanding on the subject and my opponent is only going for the win and not understanding

For sure, I guess I take pride in listening to and appreciating a lot of different genres and eras and styles and I love music so much I'd like other people to appreciate all the different variations, whether it's P!nk or Pink Floyd. Anyway, it's subjective, pointless argument. I just wondered if there was really a meaning behind "single groove" because it doesn't seem to fit in terms of lyrics, complexity, production... it seems it's more a "you had to be there" argument.
I try and have an open mind. I'm more old school generally speaking but there's tons of new stuff I've discovered with streaming services.

Heck, in one of these drafts I discovered that I loved Trip Hop and even started a Spotify playlist of same.

Time for another voice I love. I think this guys voice (vocals) is my favorite blues voice ever. I just love it. I'm taking this live album that he performed back in 2014 where he does some of his solo songs, and some of his songs from the Allman Brothers Band. When he plays solo he always adds horns to his songs, which I love. He said the horns never fit with the style of the ABB, so he used them when he was on his own. I'm glad I got to catch him one last time in the spring of 2016. I'll pick one of his solo songs and an ABB song.

Round 24

Live: Back to Macon, Ga - Gregg Allman (2015)

Queen of Hearts

Midnight Rider

Dont help, Oc. He's trying to win with empty, dismissive scorn, now the national pastime. When he makes his first point more evolved than, "i like this wormspew and swallow every drop shoved down my throat"..... This board was asked months ago to list a 21st C artistic achievement which exceeded any well-considered 20th C piece. There was one answer - Hamilton. I'm literally done now, since i have no format by which to offer the true authority of my understanding on the subject and my opponent is only going for the win and not understanding
:banned:

I wasn't in the last cosdraft... 

I think younger ears can appreciate old and new sounds - like the videos of hearing classics for the first time that people loved in here so much. I think often it just doesn't work the same way in reverse, especially once you stop actively listening to what is new for any period of time. Maybe it's physiological, maybe it's social, maybe it's single groove.
My 13 y.o. Daughter and her friends give me some hope. They are big fans of Queen, and she’s has some 70s classics in her playlists. They got mad at me when I jokingly referred to Green Day as a “boy band.” 

Was like a ball of love
I could never, never see the cosmic sea
Was like a bumblebee

I have never, never kissed a car before
It's like a door
I have always, always grown my own before
All schools are strange

Oh, slide

I have never, never nailed a nose before
That's how the garden grows
Was like a ball of love

You dissin Bolan bro?

holy crap... this thing went on and on- had no idea. had to snip it down a lot... hope it doesn't mess with the iambic pentameter and song structure they set up. 

Come my lady, come come my lady.
You're my butterfly, sugar baby.
Come my lady, you're my pretty baby.
I'll make your legs shake, you make me go crazy.

Such a sexy, sexy pretty little thing
Fierce nipple pierce you got me sprung with your tongue ring
and I ain't gonna lie cause your loving gets me high
So to keep you by my side there's nothing that I won't try
Butterflies in her eyes and looks to kill
Time is passing
I'm asking could this be real
Cause I can't sleep I can't hold still
The only thing I really know is she got sex appeal
I can feel too much is never enough
You're always there to lift me up
When these times get rough I was lost Now I'm found
Ever since you've been around
You're the women that I want
So yo, I'm putting it down.

I don't deserve you unless
it's some kind of hidden message to show me life is precious
Then I guess it's true
To tell truth, I really never knew
Till I met you I was lost and confused
Twisted and used up
Knew a better life existed but thought that I missed it
My lifestyle is wild I was living like a wild child
Trapped on a short leash paroled the police files
And yo. What' s happening now?
I see the sun breaking shining through dark clouds
and a vision of you standing out in a crowd.
Too many grooves to count. 

So awful.

Does The Book of Mormon fit that?

Round 24 The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen (1973)

I first considered drafting this as early as Round 3, but just kept passing for some reason, but now I'll hop on my favorite Bruce record. As of this upcoming weekend I will officially be a resident of Asbury Park, so I guess I'll have to really step up my Boss love.

Incident on 57th Street

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Rd 23.32 Ellington at Newport by Duke Ellington (1956)

This will be the 1999 re-release where they were able to reconstruct the entire concert. When it was recorded in '56, there were technical issues like guys solos into the wrong microphones, etc. So they re-recorded parts of it at the studio to piece it together. It was first released in 56 with just some selections from the concert. Huge album though. In '56, Duke and the rest of the big bands were basically extinct. Swing and big band was passe. But this album became a big hit and Ellington was back in the American conscious. He would stay a relevant musical and cultural presence for the remainder of his life. I really need it because Duke is amazing and it's one of the rare actual swing albums from the artists of the swing era. 

Take the "A" Train

Jeep's Blues

I watched for The Slider. Contrary to wikkid's love of the folk moved to rockin' (not punk rockin' or disco) seventies, Bolan's the best thing to hold up from it, IMO.
Maybe the coolest guy to come out of the ‘70s even though he didn’t actually make it out of the ‘70s. 

For the record I don’t care too much about lyrics as long as they aren’t outrageously bad. Like so bad they detract from the overall music. I’m more about feel/groove. 
I'm with you. Lyrics are almost never a disqualifier for me. Single grooves, though.

It's been said that Rapture's House of Jealous lovers sounds like four different grooves with four leads. That would make me 'splode with delight -- and it does. Yeeeooooowww!

By the way, I have no idea what that all means, it's just by way of easing tension. 

Users who are viewing this thread