What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (7 Viewers)

We've reached a more skips than picks moment:  That said, in the hours from about 5-8 last night all hell broke loose, so...

24    .    1    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
24    .    2    simey    -    Gregg Allman    -    Live: Back To Macon, GA
24    .    3    rockaction    -    skip 5/27    -    
24    .    4    Mister CIA        permaskip    -    
24    .    5    Bonzai    -    full day today 5/28. Skip me and I'll catch up later.     -    
24    .    6    RedmondLonghorn    -    timed out prior rd  - skipped    -    
24    .    7    MAC 32    -    System Of A Down    -    Hypnotize
24    .    8    Dr Octopus    -    Bruce Springsteen    -    The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
24    .    9    Ilov80s    -    Cannonball Adderly    -    Somethin' Else
24    .    10    Hov34    -    10 min clock    -    
24    .    11    rcam    -    ITC    -    
24    .    12    Mr Ected    -    skip    -    
24    .    13    Mrs Rannous    -    15 minute clock - skipped    -    
24    .    14    JZilla    -    @ and then skip    -    
24    .    15    landrys hat    -    Masters of Reality    -    Sunrise on the Sufferbus
24    .    16    krista 4    -    skip indefinitely    -    
24    .    17    Raging weasel    -    ITC    -    
24    .    18    Eephus    -    ITC    -    
I am caught up. I have just added 23 and 24. 

24.06 No. 10, Upping Street - Big Audio Dynamite (1986)

I could write a lot about Big Audio Dynamite and this album, but I'll spare all of you from that. I have joked with @El Floppo that I might be B.A.D.'s number one fan. While meant as shtick, I am not sure how far off that is. I also consider several songs on this album to be the last real Clash songs after Combat Rock--Cut the Crap did not happen.

Oh, and the video linked below for Sightsee M.C.! was directed by Jim Jarmusch.

Songs:

V. Thirteen

Sightsee M.C.!

23.25 - Basquiat - Original Soundtrack (1996)

I spent a lot of time asking about soundtracks, because this is something I must have on my island as by far my favorite soundtrack of all time.  It's not only fantastic music, but it perfectly fits the life of Jean-Michel Basquiat.  There are a couple of new releases on here, plus I don't think this could be seen as "greatest hits" since they aren't hits.  Big disappointment in the soundtrack is the exclusion of "Fairytale of New York," which featured prominently in the film, plus "Waiting on a Friend" and another Tom Waits song I've forgotten.  Even without those, look at this lineup!!!

1. Van Gogh Boat - Michael Wincott

2. Public Image - Public Image Ltd.

3. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Theme) - Van Morrison

4. Suicide Hotline (Dialogue And Music Montage) - Nick Marion Taylor

5. I'm Not In Love - Toadies

6. Is That All There Is? - PJ Harvey

7. White Lines - GrandMaster Flash And Melle Mel

8. Rise - Tripping Daisy

9. These Days - Joy Division

10. She Is Dancing - Brian Kelly

11. Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen) - Tom Waits

12. A Small Plot Of Land - David Bowie

13. Summer In Siam - Pogues

14. The Last Song I'll Ever Sing - Gavin Friday

15. Hallelujah - John Cale

I've bolded the two for the playlist, but could easily be talked into the PiL, Bowie, Waits, or really any of the others as well, if you guys prefer.  KP, the soundtrack isn't on Spotify, but the songs can be found separately.  

Hopefully this will be on things like Spotify. There is one version for $60 and another for $180. Can't imagine Mrs. E being too happy if that came over the AMEX bill!!
It looks like the previously released anniversary versions of Farewell and Hemispheres added two and one disc of additional content.

Round 23.38  – Nas – God’s Son- 2002

In my opinion, this is Nas’s best album from front to back. From the opening funk strains of one of the most free-flow and technically sound spoken word recordings ever in “Get Down,” through to the lament of the loss of everything sacred on “Heaven,” Nas unabashedly explores personal territories heretofore unseen from most emcees, and though his career recordings are always personable, and personal, this takes it a step further in his ever-improving oeuvre. Once thought to maybe be a one-hit, one critically-acclaimed wonder with Illmatic, Nas here seems free to create something new and vital and he succeeds with room to spare.  

Get Down

Heaven

Round 24.03 - OutKast - Stankonia - 2000

Is this still on the board? I think it is. Probably the best record of the year 2000, across all genres. 

Here we go:

Ms. Jackson

B.O.B (Bombs Over Baghdad)
I drafted an Outkast song/album (I forget now - it was either B.O.B. or this album) in round 1 in the wedonttalkaboutthatanymoreitneverhappened Black Music Draft and was ripped to hell for it.

I stand by my pick.

23.25 - Basquiat - Original Soundtrack (1996)

I spent a lot of time asking about soundtracks, because this is something I must have on my island as by far my favorite soundtrack of all time.  It's not only fantastic music, but it perfectly fits the life of Jean-Michel Basquiat.  There are a couple of new releases on here, plus I don't think this could be seen as "greatest hits" since they aren't hits.  Big disappointment in the soundtrack is the exclusion of "Fairytale of New York," which featured prominently in the film, plus "Waiting on a Friend" and another Tom Waits song I've forgotten.  Even without those, look at this lineup!!!

1. Van Gogh Boat - Michael Wincott

2. Public Image - Public Image Ltd.

3. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Theme) - Van Morrison

4. Suicide Hotline (Dialogue And Music Montage) - Nick Marion Taylor

5. I'm Not In Love - Toadies

6. Is That All There Is? - PJ Harvey

7. White Lines - GrandMaster Flash And Melle Mel

8. Rise - Tripping Daisy

9. These Days - Joy Division

10. She Is Dancing - Brian Kelly

11. Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen) - Tom Waits

12. A Small Plot Of Land - David Bowie

13. Summer In Siam - Pogues

14. The Last Song I'll Ever Sing - Gavin Friday

15. Hallelujah - John Cale

I've bolded the two for the playlist, but could easily be talked into the PiL, Bowie, Waits, or really any of the others as well, if you guys prefer.  KP, the soundtrack isn't on Spotify, but the songs can be found separately.  
I love this movie long time.

Saw Jeffrey Wright in the security line at JFK jet blue, snaking back and forth in front of me. Made me sad to think he had to fly pedestrian jet blue...tried to offer my appreciation  for his work (just amazing in Angels in America), but was a little awkward given the location.

The music in the film is amazing... but I never thought about the soundtrack as being commercially available. Great pick.

I drafted an Outkast song/album (I forget now - it was either B.O.B. or this album) in round 1 in the wedonttalkaboutthatanymoreitneverhappened Black Music Draft and was ripped to hell for it.

I stand by my pick.
:lmao:  I remember you mentioning that in a previous draft. Still hilarious  :lmao:

I love this movie long time.

Saw Jeffrey Wright in the security line at JFK jet blue, snaking back and forth in front of me. Made me sad to think he had to fly pedestrian jet blue...tried to offer my appreciation  for his work (just amazing in Angels in America), but was a little awkward given the location.

The music in the film is amazing... but I never thought about the soundtrack as being commercially available. Great pick.
I love Jeffrey Wright long time.  One of not many actors to whom I’d also feel compelled to speak if I saw him, too.   :hifive:

Round 24 The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen (1973)

I first considered drafting this as early as Round 3, but just kept passing for some reason, but now I'll hop on my favorite Bruce record. As of this upcoming weekend I will officially be a resident of Asbury Park, so I guess I'll have to really step up my Boss love.

Incident on 57th Street

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Are you going for the summer, or full time? We go to next door Ocean Grove all the time..and love that the gays found and reinvigorated Asbury (as well as Ocean Grove...the reason we first started going). Party on the boardwalk!

24.06 No. 10, Upping Street - Big Audio Dynamite (1986)

I could write a lot about Big Audio Dynamite and this album, but I'll spare all of you from that. I have joked with @El Floppo that I might be B.A.D.'s number one fan. While meant as shtick, I am not sure how far off that is. I also consider several songs on this album to be the last real Clash songs after Combat Rock--Cut the Crap did not happen.

Oh, and the video linked below for Sightsee M.C.! was directed by Jim Jarmusch.

Songs:

V. Thirteen

Sightsee M.C.!
Was gonna take this.  Now I'm happy I didn't after reading that.

I hate everything Foo.

Except Egg Foo Young and Wong Foo actually.

Wong Jack Man was pretty cool too beating Bruce.
How does one hate Dave Grohl?

23.09 The Blues Brothers Soundtrack - The Blues Brothers (& others) (1980)

Hard to beat the talent lineup here, though Jake ain't the world's best singer. I'll go with a couple of icons.

"Shake A Tail Feather" (w/Ray Charles)

"Minnie The Moocher" (w/Cab Calloway)
Of course - you pick the two songs from the soundtrack NOT on Spotify.  

I love Jeffrey Wright long time.  One of not many actors to whom I’d also feel compelled to speak if I saw him, too.   :hifive:
I've only done this twice... Wright- and I had just rewatched Basquiat a week or so previously, and David Sylvian, who I bum rushed in the soho starbucks. I nearly had a heart attack trying to express what his music had meant to me...a sweaty crescendoing freakout that lasted...??? seconds/minutes/hours???...until I realized he was sitting there with his kids and I neat a hasty adieu, stage left.

How does one hate Dave Grohl?
Love Grohl. Foo Fighters would be a high pick for me in a Greatest Hits Draft and maybe at the top of my list of bands to see live (that I haven't) because of those hits.  My favourite of theirs is from Marco's favourite year (hot take alert there but no further spotlighting) but I don't think they've ever released a truly great front to back album.

I do like it pretty well. But Mick's musicianship and arranging skills are notably missing on it. The rest of the album is pretty much straight garbage.
I won't die on this hill because it's been a long time since I've listened to anything other than This is England but it's probably not as bad as it was made out to be at the time.  The new Clash still had two of the coolest guys in Rock 'n Roll.

Punk has always been a very orthodox church and bands that strayed were punished accordingly, especially ones that strayed and made money doing it.

Yeah, I should say when I say "is this still on the board?" there's no real judgment there and figured it was on people's radar, I'm really just making sure before the spreadsheet gods get me. Anyway, I'm filling out the back end of this draft with greatest hits, and it's less like a desert island than a canon inclusion, so I'll likely be stopping soon.

Love Grohl. Foo Fighters would be a high pick for me in a Greatest Hits Draft and maybe at the top of my list of bands to see live (that I haven't) because of those hits.  My favourite of theirs is from Marco's favourite year (hot take alert there but no further spotlighting) but I don't think they've ever released a truly great front to back album.
I agree, I queued up their catalog earlier this week thinking one would bubble up to the surface. It didn't happen.

And they're as great live as you think they are. 

24.18 - Bright Size Life - Pat Metheny (1976)

The debut album from the then 21 year old guitarist was a trio date with a pre-meteorologist Jaco Pastorius and drummer Bob Moses. 

Metheny's distinctive picking style was already in evidence.  He and Jaco flit and float together like conjoined dragonflies while Moses lays down mostly cymbals in the background.  Metheny has made a million albums since that have alternated between popularizing and innovating Jazz music but this is the record I always return to.

Missouri Uncompromised

Sirabhorn

Yeah, I should say when I say "is this still on the board?" there's no real judgment there and figured it was on people's radar, I'm really just making sure before the spreadsheet gods get me. Anyway, I'm filling out the back end of this draft with greatest hits, and it's less like a desert island than a canon inclusion, so I'll likely be stopping soon.
You can quit a gimmick and move to something else.  It's in the addendum to the bylaws.

Good CD, worst live performance I have ever seen.

Round 24) Playing the Angel - Depeche Mode (2005)

A Pain That I'm Used To

Lilian
I saw their construction time again tour at the Kabuki in SF. Nobody there. My buddy and I strolled to the front of the stage and basically sat there watching the lead singer jump around in front of static bandmates behind their keyboards... And I've seen and love Kraftwerk do not much more. One of the worst shows I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread