What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (9 Viewers)

Listening:

Something off of O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Awesome soundtrack, awesome song.
Johnny Cash - Jackson - One of my favorites of my twenties. Still love when June kicks in and they cheer.
Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. Good, but eight minutes long good? Nope.
Joy Division - Transmission - Ian Curtis's baritone makes him sound forty-five, not like some skinny shy kid who can't face the audience
Yo La Tengo - Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind - Lots of guitars and freak jamming over power chords and dissonance. This is ten minutes long, and worth it.
Sleater-Kinney - Modern Girl - Not my bag, this song. Just sort of meandering and without any rawk in the rawk n' roll. Well, the power chords kick in, but it's too late to save the song. Replete with harmonica? Kind of a really oof song.
Grateful Dead - Ripple - Played this a lot over the years. Love the chorus and harmony at the end. 
Basin Street Blues - Dr. John - Confession: The blues aren't my thing. This will fall by the wayside of songs that I appreciate. Sounds dixieland.  Oh, now he's singing. Not bad, but very downtempo. New Orleans is mentioned. Surprise! Okay, I'm skipping now...
Prefab Sprout - Appetite - This is not my musical sweet spot. Sorry. The downtempo, breathy vox and the 80s production aren't my thing. Sometimes it gets going within the song and is sort of adventurous, but there's no there there, man.
Atoms For Peace - Default - Okay, Buffaloes, I've got the cans. Now bring it. Would they call this glitch-pop? I dig it, kinda. Thom Yorke's voice is perfect for the accompanying music. Easily my most favorite song I've yet to hear out the bunch of ones I've not heard before.
Dr. Octagon - 3000 - I was thinking about taking this classic album in a diptych with Deltron 3030. I wouldn't have picked this song, necessarily, but I like it. I skip around a lot with hip hop and listen to single songs, mainly, unless it's a concept album that demands you appreciate the cohesive narrative. So I've heard it before, as this is a concept album, just not as much as other songs. I like it. 
Miles Davis - Pharoah's Dance - Isn't #####es Brew supposed to be his rock/fusion album? Interesting song. I can guarantee you I'm not making twenty minutes, though. I'm giving it five, but it seems a bit repetitive. Jizzy jazz heads again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, a bit scattered here since we may be going on curfew here soon (rumors of some places near me being target of looting so everything is shutting down). 

I told myself I wouldn’t double dip in the original 30 round draft, but I won’t be able to make it to 40 without hitting up a couple groups I’ve already taken.  This one was a close call when I took Ill Communication a while back since they are my 2a/2b Beastie albums depending on my mood. Yo Mama selects:

31.19 - Beastie Boys - Check Your Head (1992)

I’ll make my song choices later tonight or tomorrow.  Feel free to notify and skip me if I come back up tonight. 

Listening:

Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. Good, but eight minutes long good? Nope.  

Grateful Dead - Ripple - Played this a lot over the years. Love the chorus and harmony at the end. 

I didn't draft Suite Judy Blue Eyes, but for me the song flies by. It is also like songs within a song. Kind of like Band on the Run. There is a name for it when songs do that, but I can't think of it right off.

I did draft Ripple. When I was in college there was a deli/bar called the New Deli. It was a Deli by day, and a bar by night. On weekends all the tables were removed, and live bands played. Anyway, Wednesday nights were Dead night. All Grateful Dead songs all night long. If someone wanted to play they could, although open mike night was Monday nights. One Wednesday night, a friend named Sam played Ripple on the guitar and sang, and that whole bar sang the ending that goes "if I knew the way, I would take you home  la da da da   la da da da da  etc" .  It was a fun moment in time of peace, harmony, fellowship, and good music. I

It's time to go feed the critters.

Rd 31 

Lodger - David Bowie (1979)

... more '79 goodness!

gotta have this idol of mine represented, and the frenetic third (and final) piece of the Berlin trilogy will do just fine, thank ya. 

i think this platter has aged remarkably well ... the genre bending up in here just melts any attempts at classification - it's a blast all the way through, what more would one expect for the artist of the decade's final salvo (of the 70s).

caught somewhere between post punk/new wave, but planting his own uniquely genius signature on the era - it's a thrill ride with Bowie on this one, and it was a real gem of a grab for me upon first purchase. as fresh sounding and urgent as the day i first played it. 

... did i mention one of my top 3 Bowie songs lies within?

Look Back In Anger the top three song i was referring to ... my gf, who has been sXe all her life, once asked me what being wired on blow was like - this is what i pulled up on the YouTubez as witness.

Boys Keep Swinging  Adrian Belew me away with that sick axe display in here ... wailing, screeching, crying with every chord - h.f.s.

need a shower now 🚿 

Sorry, a bit scattered here since we may be going on curfew here soon (rumors of some places near me being target of looting so everything is shutting down). 
Rumor is that tonight's hot spot is a shopping/dining district about a 10 minute walk from my house.  My in-laws live about 4 houses off the main drag right in the heart of it.  Lots of shattered windows last night, someone tried to burn down city hall.  Curfew tonight is at 9 PM county-wide.  I'm in solidarity with the protesters, just hope everyone stays safe and businesses don't get looted.

Seems fitting after otb's pick above.

31.25 – Antony and the Johnsons – I Am a Bird Now (2005)

***Pronoun alert***  Sometime after this record was released, Antony Hegarty fully transitioned to being a woman named Anohni; hence the feminine pronouns.  Anohni later became only the second transgender person ever nominated for an Oscar.  I'll dedicate this pick to @fatguyinalittlecoat and his son Peter.

***Collaboration alert***  This album features vocal and guitar support from, among others, Rufus Wainwright (my third Rufus-related pick!), Lou Reed, Devendra Banhart, and Boy George.

***Album cover alert***  The photo on the cover is Candy Darling on her deathbed.

I was blown away by this record when it came out; it was like nothing I’d ever heard and remains so.  Her voice is indescribable to me.  My best comparison would be a combo of Nina Simone and Boy George.  Simply amazing.  Each time I listen to a song from this album, I realize I’m holding my breath.  She equally (and often simultaneously) imparts melancholy and joy with incredible depth and power.

I hate only choosing two songs!

Hope There's Someone

For Today I Am A Boy

Bonus track not from this album:  Anohni performing Leonard Cohen's "If It Be Your Will"  I rate this is a ***must watch***.

PJ Harvey- To Bring You My Love(1995)

To Bring you my Love

Long Snake Moan

Love her music,her voice and style. It's like straddling the boarder between Heaven and Hell or being seduced by a Harpy. Full of pain and anger but also beautiful and seductive.

Rumor is that tonight's hot spot is a shopping/dining district about a 10 minute walk from my house.  My in-laws live about 4 houses off the main drag right in the heart of it.  Lots of shattered windows last night, someone tried to burn down city hall.  Curfew tonight is at 9 PM county-wide.  I'm in solidarity with the protesters, just hope everyone stays safe and businesses don't get looted.
yeesh, in Buffalo?

be safe.  this is crazy.  it supposedly has spread out of downtown Philadelphia and into some of the suburbs.  hope krista, eephus and everyone else near hornets' nests all stay safe.

Hi @Hov34, hi @Hov34, it's off to the chamber we go!

@Dr. Octopus will also be there in event of any workplace accidents

I"m going to take a break to watch all or a portion of Uncut Gems, since no one seems to like the movie.  Could someone else please keep it going?

Hope There's Someone
Love, love this song. 

My mom had recently been diagnosed with small vessel dementia and knew it was something she couldn’t beat. It was ultimately going to take her and it did.

This song randomly came up on a playlist in the car soon after her diagnosis while I was driving her to a doctor’s appointment. She teared up after the first 10 seconds. 

Makes me cry every time I hear it. Beautiful song. 

yeesh, in Buffalo?

be safe.  this is crazy.  it supposedly has spread out of downtown Philadelphia and into some of the suburbs.  hope krista, eephus and everyone else near hornets' nests all stay safe.
I grew up in suburban Seattle (Bellevue). Today there was a peaceful protest there, along with a bunch of looters who showed up and broke into the shopping mall that does the highest sales per square foot in the country. It is being looted right now. This is a community with a median household income of $100K.

yeesh, in Buffalo?

Yeah.  We should be fine, knock on wood.  Most of the rioting was downtown last night.  One of the other major trendy districts was trashed and a 7/11 was looted last night, including one of our best breweries where I've once taken our pal @Northern Voice.  I didn't hear about any major injuries or major arrests though.

JACO PASTORIUS - JACO PASTORIUS

(1976)

Going on an eponymous album run here.  Would have considered the Joni album and Metheny album where he was featured, but I really love this too.  Unfortunately, only 2 of the tracks are Spotify, so we will go with those.  Donna Lee would definitely have been in the running for my choices.  Come on, Come Over or Portrait of Tracy  or Cha-Cha.  I don't know, a lot of them would have been up there.

"Donna Lee" (Charlie Parker or Miles Davis)

"Come On, Come Over" (featuring Sam & Dave) (Jaco Pastorius, Bob Herzog) 

"Continuum"

"Kuru/Speak Like a Child" (Pastorius, Herbie Hancock)

"Portrait of Tracy"

"Opus Pocus"

"Okonkolé Y Trompa" (Pastorius, Don Alias)

"(Used to Be a) Cha-Cha"

"Forgotten Love"

Bonus tracks on 2000 reissue:

"6/4 Jam" (previously unreleased)

added to playlist

Dr. Octagon - 3000 - I was thinking about taking this classic album in a diptych with Deltron 3030. I wouldn't have picked this song, necessarily, but I like it. I skip around a lot with hip hop and listen to single songs, mainly, unless it's a concept album that demands you appreciate the cohesive narrative. So I've heard it before, as this is a concept album, just not as much as other songs. I like it. 
what songs would you have taken, out of curiosity?

25.10 - Japandroids - Post-Nothing (2009)

We run the gauntlet
Must get to France
So we can French kiss some French girls

We run the gauntlet
Must get to France

We run the gauntlet
Must get to France

We run the gauntlet
Must get to France

We run the gauntlet
Must get to France

We run the gauntlet
Must get to France

"Wet Hair" (Live)

"I Quit Girls"

Round 31 - Foo Fighters, In Your Honor 

I couldn't make up my mind between it and colour. I decided to make my decision based on the non-singles and this one has colour beat, plus it has another side of acoustics. But I also figured colour would go first so I waited for it to go. 

Will link songs later but, End Over End and No Way Back

what songs would you have taken, out of curiosity?
"Bear Witness" is accessible, if instrumental, and "Blue Flowers" is the track of the album. I see you took "Blue Flowers." I missed you picking this. I would've thrown you some propers. 

31.26 Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters (1973)

Chameleon

Watermelon Man

3 of the 4 songs are long so I just pick side 1
#### yes. One of the first jazz albums I ever bought with my own money. Nearly picked it a few rounds ago. Hesitated in part due to song length for the playlist, but that groove on Chameleon is a monster.

Rd 27: Veedon Fleece by Van Morrison (1974)

My first double dip.This is a classic for me and even with Astral Weeks, I still need VF. 

Streets of Arkow

You Don’t Pull No Punches, But You Push the River
Was listening to this today and yesterday in consideration for the draft. Gorgeous album. Woulda gone with "Streets of Arklow" too.

Seems fitting after otb's pick above.

***Pronoun alert***  Sometime after this record was released, Antony Hegarty fully transitioned to being a woman named Anohni; hence the feminine pronouns.  Anohni later became only the second transgender person ever nominated for an Oscar.  I'll dedicate this pick to @fatguyinalittlecoat and his son Peter.

***Collaboration alert***  This album features vocal and guitar support from, among others, Rufus Wainwright (my third Rufus-related pick!), Lou Reed, Devendra Banhart, and Boy George.

***Album cover alert***  The photo on the cover is Candy Darling on her deathbed.

I was blown away by this record when it came out; it was like nothing I’d ever heard and remains so.  Her voice is indescribable to me.  My best comparison would be a combo of Nina Simone and Boy George.  Simply amazing.  Each time I listen to a song from this album, I realize I’m holding my breath.  She equally (and often simultaneously) imparts melancholy and joy with incredible depth and power.

I hate only choosing two songs!

Hope There's Someone

For Today I Am A Boy

Bonus track not from this album:  Anohni performing Leonard Cohen's "If It Be Your Will"  I rate this is a ***must watch***.
Man, Anohni's voice is out of this world. Considered this one too. Another bonus track 'cause I doubt anyone's taking the EP it's from: The Lake, based on an Edgar Allan Poe poem. Breathtaking.

Users who are viewing this thread