What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (8 Viewers)

And we'll turn the corner with some more 90s. 4 singers, 4 song writers, Beatles-y power pop.

34.32 - Sloan - One Chord to Another (1996)

1.    "The Good in Everyone"    2:17
2.    "Nothing Left to Make Me Want to Stay"      2:35
3.    "Autobiography"    3:18
4.    "Junior Panthers"     2:38
5.    "G Turns to D"      3:24
6.    "A Side Wins"      3:11
7.    "Everything You've Done Wrong"     3:29
8.    "Anyone Who's Anyone"    2:48
9.    "The Lines You Amend"    2:32
10.    "Take the Bench"      3:50
11.    "Can't Face Up"    3:53
12.    "400 Metres"     4:31
Remembered this one a couple rounds ago. Great pick.

It’s not what Adam Sandler usually does which is why I think there was so many negative reviews.
The fact what Sandler usually does in most of his recent movies is so popular is a sad commentary on our society.

I like Sandler and love some of his early stuff, but Grown Ups 2? JFC what a POS.

I believe that was the 3rd time I spent the night ITC; if so, third time's the charm because I'm walking out with 

34.27: Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985)

I now have my holy trinity of female voices.

For the playlist: Saving All My Love For You and All at Once.
I know you are switching this out but keeping it Whitney.   Hard to believe that this wasn’t taken 20 rounds ago because her voice is mesmerizing.   It is damn near perfect.  

I know you are switching this out but keeping it Whitney.   Hard to believe that this wasn’t taken 20 rounds ago because her voice is mesmerizing.   It is damn near perfect.  
I was overruled.  Agree completely with you about her voice; it was about the purest sound a human voice could ever make, and her version of The Star Spangled Banner is my favorite and the one that moves me closest to tears.

Catch up pick as I fell out early last night 

34.17    Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell(1980)

My second from this band but with Dio on vocals it's like a whole different but still awesome band. This is the second non-Beatles album I ever bought with my own money back in 1981 and Ive loved it ever since. The 3 previous albums had gotten further and further from the classic Sabbath sound and this one does to but in a good way. After the firing of Ozzy and a 2 year break the addition of Dio added new life and energy to the band. Yes there are a couple clunkers but the title track is one of my all time favs so this has to be on my island.

Heaven and Hell

Die Young
I prefer Dio’s vocals over Ozzy’s and this would have been my first Sabbath album drafted.   Maybe.   Tough decision.   I agree that the title track is one of the great Sabbath songs and one of the great hard rock songs really.   Dio takes that song from good to great.   I can’t dismiss the riff.  Iommi is a riff god.  

34.34 Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River 1969

I love this record and I am pleased to get it so late.  This is a great one from start to finish.  Lodi and Commotion are two other songs I could have picked that I love.

Green River

Bad Moon Rising
Just wonderful classic rock 

Disc one is worthy of being drafted on it's own IMO. And then disc two is completely all over the map and has all those quasi-metal dirges but might also have the best songs on it. 
Making Mellon Collie into a masterpiece:

1. Title track

2. Zero

3. Bullet With Butterfly Wings

4. An Ode To No One

5. To Forgive

6. Thirty Three

7. 1979

8. Where Boys Fear To Tread

9. XYU

10. Love

11. Galapogos

12. Jellybelly

13. Muzzle

14. Porcelina

1. Title track

2. Zero

4. An Ode To No One

5. To Forgive

6. Thirty Three

7. 1979

9. XYU

10. Love

11. Galapogos

12. Jellybelly

13. Muzzle

14. Porcelina
You'll take the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on Tonight Tonight from my wet, island air soaked hands.

34.35 RickieLeeJones, Rickie Lee Jones (1979)

Gettin a kick outta y'allses realizing your estrogen deficiencies and scrambling for Linnie & Whitney & such. Don't blame me when you get osteoporosis and can't outrun the cannibals & monitor lizards...

This wonderful debut record has gone from being embraced by every first-nighter around to one of near-complete forgotitude. As opposed to what i said yesterday about Bonnie Raitt keeping her honesty after getting attention, Rickie Lee quickly glommed on to the "female Tom Waits" moniker with which she was saddled and sank into self-imitation. She's back to living an honest life now, which i respect, but we missed out on a lot of great music from the poor care & handling of her talent. Top 5 alltime female artist album - so far ahead of Tapestry you cant even see it from Coolsville.

Last Chance Texaco

Coolsville

Last edited by a moderator:
I put in in the GNR double album territory - it would be epic if I could pick and choose the songs and put on one album, but I can't just listen to them as is.  
Making **Redacted** into a masterpiece:

1. Civil War

2. Live and Let Die

3. Don't Cry

4. Right Next Door To Hell

5. Garden of Eden

6. Locomotive

7. Estranged

8. You Could Be Mine 

9. Double Talkin' Jive

10. November Rain

11. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

12. Coma

1. Title track

2. Zero

4. An Ode To No One

5. To Forgive

6. Thirty Three

7. 1979

9. XYU

10. Love

11. Galapogos

12. Jellybelly

13. Muzzle

14. Porcelina
I mostly like the picks, and not 100% sure what I would come up with, but it would be an interesting exercise for a playlist.  

The bolded are two songs that were overplayed in college for me as well, and I cringe a little when they start - Butterfly moreso though.  

I mostly like the picks, and not 100% sure what I would come up with, but it would be an interesting exercise for a playlist.  

The bolded are two songs that were overplayed in college for me as well, and I cringe a little when they start - Butterfly moreso though.  
They got overplayed because they were good songs. Though I still agree with you.

This whole thing has enhanced my appreciation of the perspective of those 5-10+ years older than me. There weren't many opportunities for a good song to attain such a status with me. Most of the 'over-played' music when I was in those critical peak music absorption years was, and still is, groin grabbingly awful. 

32.28: Wishbone Ash - Argus (1972)

Another band that should have been bigger, but never really caught on in the States. Great musicianship - one of the pioneers of the twin-lead guitar attack. You know when you've been name checked by Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, you're good: In an interview with Guitar World in 2011, Steve Harris from Iron Maiden said “I think if anyone wants to understand Maiden’s early thing, in particular the harmony guitars, all they have to do is listen to Wishbone Ash’s Argus album.”

Blowin' Free

Warrior

33.03: Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust (1987)

Another high quality import from Down Under. A bit too political for my blood, but really dug their sound for a stretch in the '80s.

Beds Are Burning

The Dead Heart

34.35 RickieLeeJones, Rickie Lee Jones (1979)

Gettin a kick outta y'allses realizing your estrogen deficiencies and scrambling for Linnie & Whitney & such. Don't blame me when you get osteoporosis and can't outrun the cannibals & monitor lizards...

This wonderful debut record has gone from being embraced by every first-nighter around to one of near-complete forgotitude. As opposed to what i said yesterday about Bonnie Raitt keeping her honesty after getting attention, Rickie Lee quickly glommed on to the "female Tom Waits" moniker with which she was saddled and sank into self-imitation. She's back to living an honest life now, which i respect, but we missed out on a lot of great music from the poor care & handling of her talent. Top 5 alltime female artist album - so far ahead of Tapestry you cant even see it from Coolsville.

Last Chance Texaco

Coolsville
... more '79 goodness!

hey, i loved "Chuck E's in Love" - i see it didn't make the cut here ... can see why you chose those two over it, tho - way back then i used to get her confused with Nicolette Larson for whatever reason, cuz they ain't nothing alike. 

Tonight, Tonight = Malarkey.
I would have to agree with NV about Disc 1.  I would have a hard time not putting songs 1-5 on my mix.  I would stop at Butterfly and probably hit the run of Galapogos ---> Porcelina next and move onto Disc 2.  

I prefer Dio’s vocals over Ozzy’s and this would have been my first Sabbath album drafted.   Maybe.   Tough decision.   I agree that the title track is one of the great Sabbath songs and one of the great hard rock songs really.   Dio takes that song from good to great.   I can’t dismiss the riff.  Iommi is a riff god.  
I would have loved a redo of the first 4-5 Sabbath albums with Dio on vocals to see what that would have been like.  Maybe some of the earlier songs wouldn't have worked with him though?

... more '79 goodness!

hey, i loved "Chuck E's in Love" - i see it didn't make the cut here ... can see why you chose those two over it, tho - way back then i used to get her confused with Nicolette Larson for whatever reason, cuz they ain't nothing alike. 
folks would dismiss the 1hitwonderness of ChuckE and i wanted to show them that Rickie Lee's worth about 19 Lucinda Williamses

I was sick of BWBW for a long time but I'm coming back around on it lately. It was the most played at the time in my circle, which is obviously crazy. 

This whole thing has enhanced my appreciation of the perspective of those 5-10+ years older than me. There weren't many opportunities for a good song to attain such a status with me. Most of the 'over-played' music when I was in those critical peak music absorption years was, and still is, groin grabbingly awful. 
:lol:

I would be interested to hear what some of those where.  

You were probably on the cusp of the Napster/mp3 wave when you hit the college age, so I would image it might me a little different experience that way since people would have access to more albums and you didn't get hammered with the same Beck and Weezer songs on a loop in the dorms.  

I was sick of BWBW for a long time but I'm coming back around on it lately. It was the most played at the time in my circle, which is obviously crazy. 
I think in my old age I am able to get over any of these songs that were overplayed and I actually like.  I listen to so many different things now that a 3x a year spin of an overplayed song from my college years doesn't hit me like it did 15 or so years ago.   Of course all bets are off if I think it's a crap song to begin with.  

As far as Bullet, I never thought it was a top song from the 2 albums so the overplayed part just compounded the issue for me.  

David Grisman - The David Grisman Quintet (1977)

Glad I remembered this in time. Is it bluegrass? Is it jazz? Who cares, it rips.

E.M.D.

Opus 57
when I took Plants and Animals, I mentioned the whole Marin Co. Dead thing... went to HS with both of his kids (and many others). My ex was really close with his daughter who made a doc about dad and jerry, as well as about Village Music (record store) that I referenced in my Dyke and the Blazers pick. both of the kids were really good people.

34.18 - Murray St. - Sonic Youth (2002)

Previously drafted at 8.05 by @Bonzai (Daydream Nation)

Daydream Nation is a more important and probably better album but this is my favorite Sonic Youth record and definitely better suited for a small island IMO.

It's their first album post 9/11 and their second after Jim O'Rourke joined the group.  I guess you could say it's a quieter and calmer SY but they're still capable of bringing great noise.

Rain on Tin

Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style
whoa. I don't know this one at all... doesn't even ring bells. will have to give a listen.

should have been called "Gary Numan - Here In His Car"
down in the park, imo.

the Gary Numan and Smashing Pumpkins picks were great, btw... can't believe the latter was still around. and have been sitting on the gary for a bit.

I like how social media today is all black out photos plus terribly timed scheduled tweets and targeted ads trying to sell me sneakers and patio furniture and stuff.  

skip me after this... have to do a bunch of errands.

33.11... Various Artists- Chacun Cherche son Chat (When the Cat's Away) Soundtrack (1996) ...**note** there are a couple of spotify playlists for this as written in french- I'll pick from those.

ok... I'm a hypocrite and am taking a compilation/soundtrack. saw this in the theaters and fell in love with everything about it-  just a fantastic study of urban life, with a mystery (cat) and sweet kinda love story thrown in to the mix of gentrification and overlap of cultures. and the soundtrack covers a lot of ground, culled by somebody who's taste vibed heavily with mine at the time... and still. Really hard to pick two from this for me.

1 Ceux qui marchent debout - Food for Love

2 Frédéric Chopin (interprété par Claudio Arrau) - Nocturne n°1 en si bémol (op. 9/1)

3 Freak Power - My Heart Sings

4 Bheki Mseleku - The Sun Race Arise

5 Bonga - Mona ki ngi xica

6 Guru - Life Saver

7 Freak Power - Big Time

8 Bushman - Na Hunter

9 Ricardo Ray & Bobby Cruz - Richie's Jala Jala

10 Big Brother Hakim - Hala James

11 Metatron - Seduction (Part 1)

12 Claude Debussy (interprété par The Nash Ensemble) - Sonate pour flûte, violon et harpe (1er mouvement)

13 Daphreephunkateerz - Nuphunk

14 Au P'### Bonheur - J'veux du soleil

15 Daddy Yod - Faut pas taper la doudou (jungle mix)

16 Portishead - Glory Box

PANTERA - VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER

(1992)

So I was in a pretty cranky mood this morning.  All this gosh darn #### going on in the world right now, on top of issues in my family, and I generally feel pretty strung out.  Tried some calmer music to start, but it just wasn't helping and if anything, making me even more agitated.  So I needed to get a hardcore fix.  And as I wandered through Spotify populating my list, I come to Pantera and start playing Walk.  god this riff is so good.  And I keep moving through the album and it is just totally giving me what I need to even out.  This album is great because it flows in and out of several metal styles and the thrash and groove is just what I like.  I don't mind super-heavy stuff, but Pantera seems to step right to the line of heaviness that I like for repeat listenability.  :headbang:

1. Mouth for war 
2. A new level 
3. Walk
4. ####### hostile
5. This love
6. Rise
7. No good (Attack the radical)
8. Live in a hole
9. Regular people 
10. By demons be driven
11. Hollow

these were added to playlist btw

Charlie Steiner said:
Whitney: The Greatest Hits as it contains previously unreleased material.
that's a @Northern Voice call but based on previous posts that unreleased material may do it

things are pretty loose at this point, and he's been MIA a lot lately 

ETA:  ignore this, I answered before I got far enough to see NV's response ...this is why you should not rely on my takes  :bag:

Northern Voice said:
I like how social media today is all black out photos plus terribly timed scheduled tweets and targeted ads trying to sell me sneakers and patio furniture and stuff.  
All the commercials on TV are funny because they are COVID related which seems like a distant memory now. Someone needs to inform Pizza Hut that we have a new national crisis that they need to address through their stuffed crust pizza ads. 

El Floppo said:
skip me after this... have to do a bunch of errands.

33.11... Various Artists- Chacun Cherche son Chat (When the Cat's Away) Soundtrack (1996) ...**note** there are a couple of spotify playlists for this as written in french- I'll pick from those.

ok... I'm a hypocrite and am taking a compilation/soundtrack. saw this in the theaters and fell in love with everything about it-  just a fantastic study of urban life, with a mystery (cat) and sweet kinda love story thrown in to the mix of gentrification and overlap of cultures. and the soundtrack covers a lot of ground, culled by somebody who's taste vibed heavily with mine at the time... and still. Really hard to pick two from this for me.
Ooooooooh this sounds up my alley - both the movie and the soundtrack. Cats used as narrative devices always work for me.

PS. The kitty's called freakin' Gris-gris? That expression again? :lmao:

*checks*

"A gris-gris is used in voodoo as an amulet or talisman that supposedly brings good luck or keeps bad luck away."

#themoreyouknow

KarmaPolice said:
I would have loved a redo of the first 4-5 Sabbath albums with Dio on vocals to see what that would have been like.  Maybe some of the earlier songs wouldn't have worked with him though?
Ive seen Sabbath 8 times with 4 different singers and thought Dio did a great job on the Ozzy classics. I'm kinda sick and burnt out on Ironman having heard it live 20+ times but liked Dio's version best. I don't think I ever heard Ozzy try and sing a Dio era song.

And I realize I owe a pick (two, soon enough), but please keep skipping me for now. Got work due tomorrow morning and my mom's in the hospital (not for the rona), so I haven't had the time I wanted to relisten to a couple of my pick candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread