What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

4.27Steve Tasker--  OTC

4.28Northern Voice--

4.29Uruk-Hai--

4.30PIK95--

4.31wikkidpissah--

4.32timschochet--

4.33wazoo11--

4.34zamboni--

4.35Nigel Tufnel--

4.36Karma Police--

Catching up the spreadsheet, Doug and Chaos haven't made up their skipped picks from what I can see? Tasker said he'd be here by 8 I'll give a couple more minutes then pick.

Alright, I think there was some talk earlier about this band not having any good albums post-1987 but this is my favourite of theirs and the first CD I ever bought. It's weird and kind of all over the place and there isn't a bad song on it.

4.28 - U2 Achtung Baby, 1991

Tracklist - songs for the mix bolded

1."Zoo Station"

2."Even Better Than the Real Thing"

3."One"

4."Until the End of the World"

5."Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"

6."So Cruel"

7."The Fly"

8."Mysterious Ways"

9."Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"

10."Ultraviolet (Light My Way)"

11."Acrobat"

12."Love Is Blindness"

4.17Doug B-- SKIP

4.18Yo Mama-Led Zeppelin-Houses of the Holy

4.19mphtrilogy-Pretenders-Pretenders

4.20shuke-Arcade Fire-Neon Bibe

4.21The Dreaded Marco-Pixies-Doolittle

4.22Chaos Commish-- SKIP

4.23Charlie Steiner-The Smithereens-Especially for You

4.24Long Ball Larry-Crosby Stills Nash & Young-4 Way Street

4.25Abrantes-The Flaming Lips-The Soft Bulletin

4.26El Floppo-The Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique

4.27Steve Tasker--TIME OUT

4.28Northern Voice-U2-Achtung Baby

4.29Uruk-Hai-- SKIP

4.30PIK95--OTC, TEXTED

4.31wikkidpissah--

4.32timschochet--

texted PIK

4.29 Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 

"WTF IS ARCADE FIRE"

I have been trying to decide what songs to post for the last hour or so. 

Songs are Half Light I and Half Light II!

I was thinking Surburban War and We Used to Wait, but also would love to instead throw Half Light 1 and 2 on there. They are hidden gems that nobody probably knows.  Funny thing is, I'm not sure anyone knows the first two outside of fans.  Do you all know the first two I mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:

"WTF IS ARCADE FIRE"

I was thinking Surburban War and We Used to Wait, but also would love to instead throw Half Light 1 and 2 on there. They are hidden gems that nobody probably knows.  Funny thing is, I'm not sure anyone knows the first two outside of fans.  Do you all know the first two I mentioned?
:lol:  I looked at the upcoming drafters and decided there was literally no chance @Steve Tasker would get sniped in the next few picks (if I posted mine) unless you took this exact album, so... sorry Tasker :sadbanana:

:lol:  I looked at the upcoming drafters and decided there was literally no chance @Steve Tasker would get sniped in the next few picks (if I posted mine) unless you took this exact album, so... sorry Tasker :sadbanana:
Wasn't me taking this here, about as sure a thing as there ever was, lol?

He timed out anyway.  

"WTF IS ARCADE FIRE"

This is my favorite Arcade Fire. Up on my list. 

Alright, I think there was some talk earlier about this band not having any good albums post-1987 but this is my favourite of theirs and the first CD I ever bought. It's weird and kind of all over the place and there isn't a bad song on it.

1."Zoo Station"

3."One"

6."So Cruel"

7."The Fly"

8."Mysterious Ways"

11."Acrobat"

12."Love Is Blindness"
Damn, I have been listening to this the last couple days with the intent of taking it.  Nice pick. 

1."Zoo Station"

3."One"

6."So Cruel"

7."The Fly"

8."Mysterious Ways"

11."Acrobat"

12."Love Is Blindness"
I think it’s my favorite album by them also. I’m not a huge fan of them though - not sure why really.

Strongly considered The Suburbs, I go back and forth on which I prefer sometimes, that or Funeral.

It was the 23rd anniversary of Kasparov losing to Deep Blue just this week.  He could never predict it, that it could see through him.  Kasparov, Deep Blue, 1996.

4.31 - Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix Experience (North American edition)

Never imagined i'd have a shot at this (it went 1.02 15 yrs ago). It's not even my favorite Hendrix (one other is more of-a-piece) but, on my island, the thing i'm gonna miss the most, besides the obvious, is human exceptionality and this is one of the handful of records that made me different by the listening.

Foxy Lady (for my Kathy)

Hey, Joe (for Natman)

@timschochet

4.31 - Are You Experienced, Jimi Hendrix Experience (North American edition)

Never imagined i'd have a shot at this (it went 1.02 15 yrs ago). It's not even my favorite Hendrix (one other is more of-a-piece) but, on my island, the thing i'm gonna miss the most, besides the obvious, is human exceptionality and this is one of the handful of records that made me different by the listening

Foxey Lady (for my Kathy)

Hey, Joe (for Natman)

@timschochet
Inexplicably late in this draft. I was tempted even though vbd isn't my thing.

4.27 - Nas - Illmatic

One of the most influential hip-hop albums of all-time, a gritty magnum opus for 90s east coast hip-hop.  Nas has fallen off a bit in more recent times, as to be expected when you've been in the game for 30 years (dude's approaching 50), but for about a decade he was absolute fire, and he'll always hold a place as one of my all-time favorites.

"It Ain't Hard to Tell" (that Michael Jackson sample :chefkiss: ) 

"Life's a #####"

Never imagined i'd have a shot at this (it went 1.02 15 yrs ago). It's not even my favorite Hendrix (one other is more of-a-piece) but, on my island, the thing i'm gonna miss the most, besides the obvious, is human exceptionality and this is one of the handful of records that made me different by the listening.

Foxy Lady (for my Kathy)

Hey, Joe (for Natman)

@timschochet
I was also staring at this wondering why it was still available.  

Foxy Lady (for my Kathy)

Hey, Joe (for Natman)

@timschochet
:lmao:  ####### finally

Strongly considered The Suburbs, I go back and forth on which I prefer sometimes, that or Funeral.

It was the 23rd anniversary of Kasparov losing to Deep Blue just this week.  He could never predict it, that it could see through him.  Kasparov, Deep Blue, 1996.
Ironically, other than Tunnels my favorite songs are on Neon Bible.

There is at least one that is more universally praised - and I love that one also - but this was the one that sucked me in and remains my favorite. I probably could have waited and even if I missed this one grabbed one of the others I love, but I had to pull the trigger on something and I would be very pleased if this was one of the 20 records I had with me.
While that other one is my favorite Wilco album, Misunderstood is my favorite Wilco song.

Ironically, other than Tunnels my favorite songs are on Neon Bible.
I would say that I like some of the individual songs off Neon Bible better - "No Cars Go", "The Well and the Lighthouse", but top-to-bottom I prefer The Suburbs.  Tough to find fault with either of them.

Probably going to be the hardest choice for me this draft. There are 3 albums for this band that I am considering but, I have a feeling that once I choose one, the others won't be around 60ish picks later when I am OTC again. My dilemma is that the strongest overall album has the weakest top singles and my favorite song by this band is on one of their weaker albums. After much debate and gnashing of teeth I decided to split the difference and take the middle album.

Round 4) Pixies - Trompe Le Monde

Top 2 for playlist

U-Mass

Trompe Le Monde

But would like to highlight

Head On (trying to avoid selecting covers for the playlist where I think someone might pick the original... but this song is awesome)

The Navajo Know

Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons

@Mr. Ected OTC
This is my 2nd favorite Pixies' album with Surfer a close 3rd.

U-Mass is my 1a to Debaser as their best song.  Love the JAMC cover too.

Another heavy hitter I need to get on my island. This is a top 2 or 3 LZ album for me depending on my mood. Lots of variety stylistically, although I might have my first song to skip over in my island library (can’t stand D’Yer Mak’er).

4.18 - Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

1 - The song Remains the Same

2 - The Rain Song

3 - Over the Hills and Far Away

4 - The Crunge

5 - Dancing Days

6 - D’Yer Mak’er

7 - No Quarter

8 - The Ocean

So much goodness they bumped a bunch of stuff off to Physical Graffiti. For my songs, having a hard time narrowing it down to 2, but I’ll go with:

No Quarter

Over the Hills and Far Away
I was going to take this one or Doolittle with my R4 pick--whichever was left.  You made my decision for me.  Thanks.

Arcade Fire would probably make my "band I never really got" draft.  I like some of their stuff but they never really signified for me like they obviously have for others.  It's probably mostly an age thing but I like other bands from the same general period.  The fact I've never seen them play live is another factor.

4.24 - CROSBY STILLS NASH AND YOUNG - 4 WAY STREET (1971)
Strong recommendation to watch last year's documentary David Crosby:  Remember My Name, if you haven't already.

2.25 The Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin (1999)

Waitin' for a Superman
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
This was one I wanted but figured someone else would want it more.  What a great record.

4- Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
Shocked this hadn't been taken earlier.

Those look delicious, but appear to be dumplings in soup, not soup dumplings.

the worst revenge is that I live in a state that has ZERO White Castles.  They don't even have it's slightly lesser cousin, "Krystal" Burgers.  

ZERO!!!
still love White Castles even after not living near one in ages.  It's a result of my poor upbringing.  Such a guilty pleasure.  

2.25 The Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin (1999)

Waitin' for a Superman
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate

Alternating between the oldheads and new(er? ish?) dudes with my picks, I s'pose (and alternating crunchy rock with dreamy soundscapes, though that's generalizing a bit), but it's no actual strategy.

Man, what a dream and a marvel of a record. I came across it a few years after its release, as a college kid trying to find new music for himself, and this was a treasure. Incredibly lush and sonically layered, drenched in reverb and just ####### gorgeous on a good sound system/headphones. The trippy, all-over-the-place lunacy is part of the charm when it comes to the Flaming Lips, but it comes together beautifully and quite cohesively here, and sitting down with the whole album makes for an incredible listening experience. 

"Waitin' for a Superman" is heartbreakingly lovely and one of my all-time favorites, and I went with "Feeling Youself Disintegrate" here instead of "Race for the Prize" (probably the most playlist-friendly tune on the album) because it hit me hard one of the first times I heard it, and Wayne Coyne's vocals are particularly gorgeous on it (though there isn't all that much of it).

tagging @El Floppo in
Well damn.....I got this one in R20 the last time.  Doesn't surprise me you took it here.  

I saw them 5 times on this tour---some of the best concerts I've ever seen.  Sadly the last few albums pale in comparison and so do the live shows.   Still love them though.

Arcade Fire would probably make my "band I never really got" draft.  I like some of their stuff but they never really signified for me like they obviously have for others.  It's probably mostly an age thing but I like other bands from the same general period.  The fact I've never seen them play live is another factor.
See them live.  They are really fun.  Be prepared for the most mellow and nerdy/geeky crowd in history though.  I love it!

How are you keeping the dumplings for three hours?  There are few foods that are as temperature sensitive as xiao long bao.  They have to be served a couple of degrees lower than the burning point of the roof of your mouth.
Funny you mention that - I said to OH that the benefit today is that we didn't burn our mouths off when the hot soup squirted out.  It took me about 1:15 to get home with them (took the longer but more pleasant way to get there, and the faster but PITA-ier way to get home), so they were not in ideal form but still fabulous.  I've reheated them before when bringing home leftovers, and you can do surprisingly well in reheating if you have a good steamer.

I might have gotten a few other things, too.

Users who are viewing this thread