What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (3 Viewers)

Yeah it would. No RB or WR turns his back into the hit. That’s what caused the helmet to hit the back.
Where he hit him did not matter, the guy led with his helmet and dropped the crown.  it’s the definition of the rule...are there instances where its because of a move the offensive player makes?  Sure...but the point of it all is to get that dropped head out of the game...it’s dangerous for both the guy being hit, and the one laying the hit.

For at least one half, Ohio State is just the flat out better team by a wide margin. 
Agreed. Clemson looks awful. Their play calling has been bad replacing the play caller out with CV and the D is terrible. Doesn’t help with Turner already out and the fact that they can’t get set before the snap. Without some big coaching adjustments they are done. Skalski being out won’t make that easier. He’s been yelling at players to move around all game.

Surprised to see the debate on targeting. It  isn’t that he hit him with his helmet in the back, it’s that he did it with his head down. 

That is absolutely poor tackling form. There’s a reason there’s the old saying about keeping your head up to see what you hit. 
Exactly 

Dude the LB ducked his head and lead with the crown.  What part of "who he hit doesn't matter" are you not getting?  You might thing the sport is wussified, but that is the rule.  He could have hit Fields in the shin, the call would be the same.
Completely missed what I said. A RB or WR tries to deliver a hit or braces for a hit. Fields turned his back. Skalski’s helmet doesn’t hit someone who doesn’t turn his back. Never mind no ones changing anyone’s mind.

So how is that targeting,  doesn't make sense. 
Exactly. Sure it’s bad form but helmets get lowered by defensive players every single play. If it wasn’t Fields and a hard hit the refs don’t even look at it. If Fields doesn’t turn his back awkwardly (horrible way to get tackled) it’s not even discussed. Heck Fields doesn’t take the shot if he doesn’t do that.

Yep.  And I totally understand why people are complaining but they shouldn’t complain about the call, complain about the rule.
Yeah. They are trying to get the dropping the head tackling out of the game since it's dangerous. It does look crazy to get tossed for that like everyone is saying when we are used to seeing these dudes destroy each other.

No idea what the Clemson DBs are doing. Not having Turner is killing them. OSU TEs and WRs just running wide open.

This top-notch OSU offense looks like it will tear up the mediocre Bama defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you would have told me the score would be 35-14 at half time, I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Shocked at the moment! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sermon is a monster and I'm impressed that Fields has been able to continue.

Clemson really should have gone for it on some of the 4th and shorts.

Not having a dog in the remaining fight I thought coming into this game that I wanted Clemson/Bama since I don’t want Bama winning it again.

Clemson looks awful, but is tOSU this team or is the team that played NW more then? I just want a competitive title game. 

Exactly. Sure it’s bad form but helmets get lowered by defensive players every single play. If it wasn’t Fields and a hard hit the refs don’t even look at it. If Fields doesn’t turn his back awkwardly (horrible way to get tackled) it’s not even discussed. Heck Fields doesn’t take the shot if he doesn’t do that.
The rules (most) don’t favor defense, I agree. No different than a QB ducking in the pocket and gets drilled in the head. Totally sucks for a defender not going high like he shouldn’t, but still making helmet to helmet contact and the call goes against him.

But that was an easy call tonight. He not only crowned him forcibly, regardless if the QB spun because that doesn’t matter, he also launched forward doing so and I think that was what made it easy. 

Fully expect Kelly to blame his players publicly as usual here too. Will be all about how great of a game plan the players had but they just didn’t execute. It’s one of the main things that makes him so un-likeable - he’ll never take the blame.
Sounds like Mullen after he lost to Bama

"We just needed more firepower, quite frankly," Kelly said, according to USA Today's Dan Wolken. "That's it. There is no other wider story than we came up a little short with making a few plays."

"Everybody's got the same problem that I do," he added, per The Athletic's Pete Sampson. "It's tackling those (Alabama) guys and getting them down. I don't have a unique problem at Notre Dame."

@ryanohalloran: Be great after the game if Lawrence says - “I was distracted. I spent all week interviewing #Jaguars GM candidates and not enough time on Ohio State.”

Horrible call. Fields running at him and turns his back into the hit. A normal RB doesn’t do that so the LB gets penalized because Fields ended his run awkwardly.

This targeting stuff is ridiculous. This wasn’t a defenseless player call. Fields was coming at him and turned because he knew he was going to get hit.

I hate when refs determine a game.
Like when Wade was called for targeting last year when Ohio State was up 16-0 and Clemson was going to be 4th and long and have to punt that turned into a TD for Clemson and a win.

Users who are viewing this thread