What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Community-Led Police Departments: Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Honestly, I really don't know that much about it but on the surface it reads like Minneapolis is going to something like a volunteer fire department. I'm just sharing how it appears on the surface, have a feeling there is a lot more to it. 

Minneapolis City Council abolish police dept

Let's discuss the Pros and Cons and we all understand how the 2 parties mostly feel, no need to bring that into here. 

-Pro to me would be an opportunity for folks in challenging neighborhoods to be empowered to out the bad apples or where the trouble is really coming from and with the strength of numbers and local leaders they should be able to get these folks out of their neighborhoods. 

-The Downside that cannot be overlooked are the number of life and death situations paid police officers are asked to step in and put a stop to. I would hate to be at the mercy of a volunteer trying to stop an armed suspect or worse. Humans are all built different physically and at one time I am thinking the more Alpha types dominated the world and likely led to the way we have things settled today where a person's size doesn't matter as much.

Personal protection in this type of environment would almost require a firearm in the house if you have a family or children and want to protect everyone form potential harm.

Do people feel there would be less violence with less Police Presence? 

There are lots of different definitions of "community-led police".

Sometimes it just means "having more officers who live and work in the community they police". Which, in that case, has nothing to do with using undertrained volunteers.

[scooter] said:
There are lots of different definitions of "community-led police".

Sometimes it just means "having more officers who live and work in the community they police". Which, in that case, has nothing to do with using undertrained volunteers.
Good points Scoot

Users who are viewing this thread