What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Presidential Election Polling Thread (3 Viewers)

I've been trying to look at some of the quicker reporting counties myself.  The only two that NYTimes has over 75% of the vote in for IN are Wabash and Boone, of which I know nothing about.  But if you look at only two party votes:

Wabash : Trump/Biden 73.1/26.9, Trump/Clinton 76.5/23.5

Boone : Trump/Biden 58.4/41.6, Trump/Clinton 65.9/34.1

So Trump '20 running -3.4% and -7.5% vs. '16 when he won by 19%

Turnout is at 90% and 92% of 2016 so far.  NYTimes has them both at 78% of estimated total vote, but no idea how they calculate that.
You should share this in the "Official" thread before everybody gets drunk.

Watching FOX News and they are concerned because in multiple states so far women have been 53-55% of the voter base and COVID has been a much bigger concern than the economy in most of the states they have discussed so far. 

FOX News has a Probability Meter on their website that updates with incoming data. They have Biden 90% to win. Here are some state breakdowns with Biden % to win. 

NC 92
OH 84
GA 74
PA 63
MN 62
WI 61
MI 51
TX 21
FL 7

FOX News has a Probability Meter on their website that updates with incoming data. They have Biden 90% to win. Here are some state breakdowns with Biden % to win. 

NC 92
OH 84
GA 74
PA 63
MN 62
WI 61
MI 51
TX 21
FL 7
What? The NYT is showing Trump at 94% in NC and 86% in GA.

NC 92
OH 84
GA 74
PA 63
MN 62
WI 61
MI 51
TX 21
FL 7
Makes no sense.  Every single betting site has Trump big favorite now

FOX needs to get their act together. On TV, they just discussed Trump and Tillis have taken the lead with 90% of the vote counted in NC. Yet their website had NC 95% for Dems in President, Senate, and Governor races. I suspect the numbers reflect the in person ballots and / or do not include large chunks of votes in urban areas. 

I don't think WI is in the bag for anyone.  3 of the last 5 presidential elections in WI have been under 1% margin, the two Obama wins being the exceptions. We most likely won't have reliable information from WI until tomorrow. 
Driving home just now and on the radio they said Milwaukee county won’t be reporting results until 5am

If Arizona flips, and Virginia doesn't flip.

Then Biden needs to win 2 of MI, WI, or PA.  And those will take a couple days to add up.

Only Arizona so far.  I think Biden will get Wisconsin, so it will probably come down to PI or MI.
Fox still has Biden at 95% to win NC and 80% to win GA. If he wins those and AZ and NV and one Maine district, if my math is right, that would get him to 269 without WI, MI, PA, the other ME district, and the other NE district still out there. 

Fox still has Biden at 95% to win NC and 80% to win GA. If he wins those and AZ and NV and one Maine district, if my math is right, that would get him to 269 without WI, MI, PA, the other ME district, and the other NE district still out there. 
With such lopsided numbers, one might think there should be a victory lap tonight like most Presidents who are elected on election night. 

I'm shocked we don't have a decisive winner tonight. That is absolutely the 1st ingredient in civil unrest. If this thing rolls along to Wed-Thur-Fri...I am scared. 

Ministry of Pain said:
With such lopsided numbers, one might think there should be a victory lap tonight like most Presidents who are elected on election night. 

I'm shocked we don't have a decisive winner tonight. That is absolutely the 1st ingredient in civil unrest. If this thing rolls along to Wed-Thur-Fri...I am scared. 
The big problem will be that Trump will be ahead with a satchel of Biden votes waiting in the wings still to be counted. That will be the case in NC, GA, WI, MI, and PA. Who knows how long that will be the case and how many days it will take sort out. 

Ministry of Pain said:

Geez, calm down. It used to be standard procedure to not know the winner on Election Night. Hayes-Tilden, Dewey-Defeats-Truman, Al-Gore's-Chads, etc.

Besides, it's probably better to draw it out a few days so that it deflates some of the tension and gives the crazies on each side time to prepare for defeat.

Geez, calm down. It used to be standard procedure to not know the winner on Election Night. Hayes-Tilden, Dewey-Defeats-Truman, Al-Gore's-Chads, etc.

Besides, it's probably better to draw it out a few days so that it deflates some of the tension and gives the crazies on each side time to prepare for defeat.
The only thing lengthening it does is allow folks to stockpile molotov cocktails, c'mon now. 

Just like I predicted the polls were horribly wrong again and nobody should trust them.  Ohio recent poll had Biden +5 and he is losing by 8% with 94% reporting.   :lol:
This thread shoul probably just be hidden. Forget it ever happened. 

Commented in other threads that my wife works a rural WI polling place.  They had 93% voter turnout.  She also said they had quite a few new trump voters.  People that hadn't ever voted before, not for trump in '16, not for anyone ever.  She's assuming here because she didn't see their ballots, but feels rather confident since they all made a pro-trump comment while getting the ballot or yelling "trump" as they walked out. 

No way pollsters accounted for these folks.  

Pollsters will now be called Polesters.  They have once again inappropriately fondled the minds of Americans.  

Thinking about that A+ abc news poll that had Biden +17 in Wisconsin. How do they ever recover from that? How can anybody take them seriously again?

Commented in other threads that my wife works a rural WI polling place.  They had 93% voter turnout.  She also said they had quite a few new trump voters.  People that hadn't ever voted before, not for trump in '16, not for anyone ever.  She's assuming here because she didn't see their ballots, but feels rather confident since they all made a pro-trump comment while getting the ballot or yelling "trump" as they walked out. 

No way pollsters accounted for these folks.  
As the tally keeps going up I've been wondering if this was the case. Did he get even more turnout from the same demo? 

As the tally keeps going up I've been wondering if this was the case. Did he get even more turnout from the same demo? 
Yes.  Middle-aged, white.

Edit, work type maybe too assumed by me.    

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a fantastic example that goes way bigger than polling. 

We have to think about the system as a whole. As the big picture.

I'm attracted to smart people. I love the smart things places like 538 does.

Clearly, they have super smart people working there and doing stuff.

But the lesson for us is, "What's the material they're working with?"

For lots of this, the material, the source product, is people answering questions.

We have to ask ourselves, "Why do we trust that?"

Because you can have the most amazing technology and people ever to take those answers and manipulate them, but if the source material is faulty, nothing else matters.

This to me was the big error in 2016 and 2020. And from what I understand, from the Brexit polling. 

I have a dozen people I'd say I'm very close to who all voted Trump. They wouldn't remotely consider a Trump bumper sticker. They wouldn't consider truthfully telling a pollster they were Trump voters. Not even close. 

We got bad source material for this process of analyzing polls. It sometimes happens. And I think it's a good lesson for much bigger things. 

I have a dozen people I'd say I'm very close to who all voted Trump. They wouldn't remotely consider a Trump bumper sticker. They wouldn't consider truthfully telling a pollster they were Trump voters. Not even close. 
I get not wanting a yard sign or a bumper sticker.  Why would you lie to pollsters?  What's the incentive?

I get not wanting a yard sign or a bumper sticker.  Why would you lie to pollsters?  What's the incentive?
The same as the bumper sticker.

You don't say you're supporting Trump so you don't risk being canceled for supporting Trump. It's that simple. 

Several of these friends I'm talking about have public facing jobs and depend on the public for their business. They would absolutely not want to run the risk of pushback for voting for Trump. 

I totally agree with that. 

And I know some people will say "It's all anonymous". These are often the same people who won't even use their real name on a message board forum. 

If I voted for Trump, I would never talk about it here on this forum. For the exact same reason. 

I can say I voted for Biden here with zero repercussions. 

It's just understanding the room. 

This has been a fantastic example that goes way bigger than polling. 

We have to think about the system as a whole. As the big picture.

I'm attracted to smart people. I love the smart things places like 538 does.

Clearly, they have super smart people working there and doing stuff.

But the lesson for us is, "What's the material they're working with?"

For lots of this, the material, the source product, is people answering questions.

We have to ask ourselves, "Why do we trust that?"

Because you can have the most amazing technology and people ever to take those answers and manipulate them, but if the source material is faulty, nothing else matters.

This to me was the big error in 2016 and 2020. And from what I understand, from the Brexit polling. 

We got bad source material for this process of analyzing polls. It sometimes happens. And I think it's a good lesson for much bigger things. 
I think we ultimately end up in a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type situation and wondering what is "accurate" information. Clearly the poll numbers had things wrong in a bunch of places . . . but 538 could end up with an accurate overall projection.

Nate Silver will argue that his models and forecasts are all based off of the numbers derived from the individual polls. So if the poll numbers are inaccurate, his forecasts will be inaccurate and it's not his model that is off. And he will say he isn't polling anyone, he is just interpreting the results of the polls. Basically, garbage in, garbage out.

Biden could easily win 5 of the 6 states still out there, as most of the votes still not counted are mail in ballots. I think he will win NV, WI, MI, NC, and GA and who knows what is going on in PA. That would get him over 300 electoral votes. If he went on to take PA, then he would end up pretty close to the range that he was projected in. So yeah, the margin of victory in states will have been off, but the final EV tally and outcome would have been pretty close.

But we still are a long way from calling some states, so for now that is mostly speculation and perhaps premature discussion on the value and accuracy of the polls.

Nate Silver will argue that his models and forecasts are all based off of the numbers derived from the individual polls. So if the poll numbers are inaccurate, his forecasts will be inaccurate and it's not his model that is off. And he will say he isn't polling anyone, he is just interpreting the results of the polls. Basically, garbage in, garbage out.
Absolutely. 

I think many people, myself included, can fall in love with the all the smart stuff that is done to the material coming in and think it'll be ok. But if it's garbage in, nothing else matters. 

I don’t know if anybody is lying to posters. Most people are not very online like the people who said they would lie are. My dad is a major trumpie and he would never lie like that, in fact he’d be excited to tell a pollster who he was voting for. Most older people are the same imo. Twitter and Facebook where these wild conspiracy theories live are not real life. 

The problem with the polls is very clearly their sampling patterns and something with their methodology. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know if anybody is lying to posters. Most people are not very online like the people who said they would lie are. My dad is a major trumpie and he would never lie like that, in fact he’d be excited to tell a pollster who he was voting for. Most older people are the same imo. Twitter and Facebook where these wild conspiracy theories live are not real life. 

The problem with the polls is very clearly their sampling patterns and something with their methodology. 
I agree.  I think the problem is that you can weight all you want, but if your response rate is super low, you have no way of knowing if, for example, the white, college-educated suburban voters who answer your poll are actually the same as the white, college-educated suburban voters who don't answer your poll.  

It appears poles are pretty much useless in the big picture.

I asked about that Richard Baris guy a couple of pages back. I honestly didn't know much about him and never heard his name previously, so I listened to his Youtube podcast later that day. He's a clearly biased Republican and was pulling for Trump, but he had the election nailed better than any of the usual polls and the 10+ point kinds of swing state things I saw posted here. I think that was on Friday, but he was far closer to being right about this than any of the usual polls. He didn't say Trump would win, but he was calling for a lot of the swing states being way closer than any of the polls which had clear victories for Biden. Some of the polls being touted by national media had blow-outs for Biden. How can you be that far off and people still say, "well, Biden won, so the polls got it correct"?

I asked about that Richard Baris guy a couple of pages back. I honestly didn't know much about him and never heard his name previously, so I listened to his Youtube podcast later that day. He's a clearly biased Republican and was pulling for Trump, but he had the election nailed better than any of the usual polls and the 10+ point kinds of swing state things I saw posted here. I think that was on Friday, but he was far closer to being right about this than any of the usual polls. He didn't say Trump would win, but he was calling for a lot of the swing states being way closer than any of the polls which had clear victories for Biden. Some of the polls being touted by national media had blow-outs for Biden. How can you be that far off and people still say, "well, Biden won, so the polls got it correct"?
The polls were clearly incorrect but I don’t know why people bash Silver. Guy is just aggregating the polls, not conducting them and he did leave a 10% window where Trump could win due to polling errors. A lot of hatred for that guy and it doesn’t make sense to me. 

The polls were clearly incorrect but I don’t know why people bash Silver. Guy is just aggregating the polls, not conducting them and he did leave a 10% window where Trump could win due to polling errors. A lot of hatred for that guy and it doesn’t make sense to me. 
I'm a little confused.

Users who are viewing this thread