What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Republican Convention Thread for forum Republicans (2 Viewers)

“RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.”

I’m legitimately interested to hear the reactions of forum Republicans to this decision not to adopt a platform and to prevent anyone in the party from attempting to do so. 
I'm still registered as one so I suppose I qualify to chime in: I'm not surprised. :mellow:  

I enjoy when far-left liberals tell conservatives how they should be conservative...it really clears things up.
I think that's the sticking point with the Trump agenda.  It's not like most political junkies came down with the last drop of rain.  I've  been around conservatives long enough to know their ideology AND how the Trump Presidency is separating from that.  I think most non-Trump people are genuinely interested in why/how  Obama Presidency Conservative complaints aren't so...........important now.

Well aside from breaking the law, breaking the Constitution, and officious and unpresidential personal behavior, what's the cutoff for you?
People could do the same with Biden and the response is always "He's better than Trump".  So would you agree those Biden voters are willing to tolerate anything to have their guy in office?  What's the cutoff for you?

• Laughing
Reactions: rct
People could do the same with Biden and the response is always "He's better than Trump".  So would you agree those Biden voters are willing to tolerate anything to have their guy in office?  What's the cutoff for you?
Ah, the Biden deflection.  We have seen Trump in office for almost four years, and his actions and behaviors are ...concerning.  Reflecting SID's question - is there any limit that causes concern or even lack of support?

• Sad
Reactions: rct
I strongly disagree with this.  Among my circles, we are tolerating the personality because we much prefer the policy to what the Democrats are proposing or doing.

This is almost every Republican voter I know.
Every Republican I know also.   The left still doesn't get it & will never get it.   Trump is not your run of the mill politician with promises that go out the window when they are elected.   He gets things done for America first.

Well this is easy for me. I'd examine the facts first and not accept baseless claims. But yeah if Biden was under investigation and he fired the FBI director oversseeing it, as just one example, following Nixon as a precedent, I'd reject him immediately. That's just an example.

I would suggest that should any POTUS, Democrat or Republican, behave as Trump has, he/she should be impeached and removed from office.  Should any POTUS use the office to enrich his/her own businesses or use the power of the office in an illegal fashion, he/she should be impeached and removed from office.

In this case, we can't say that Biden has done those things, as he has not been serving as POTUS.  Whether you like his policies or not, I think it's pretty clear that his behavior is less unhinged, and he will perform his duties with more decorum than Trump has.

In terms of a vote between the two, I'm not entirely if there is any behavior that would cause me to prefer Trump over Biden.  I find Trump's policies, behavior, and indifference to the functions and laws regarding the job so absolutely odious that, like @fatguyinalittlecoat, it's possible that even if Biden were to shoot someone in broad daylight, I would still prefer to vote for him over Trump.

I strongly disagree with this.  Among my circles, we are tolerating the personality because we much prefer the policy to what the Democrats are proposing or doing.

I've always felt that this was the sentiment and logic ...and I get it as support for giving him a vote in 2016.  But that said, it seems that every Trump supporter I've encountered (particularly here and via FB), defends the president 100%.  100%.  I've never understood why his supporters can't just acknowledge his many faults but admit they're tolerating them in return for judges, deregulation, anti-status quo ...whatever the perceived benefits are.

I saw the question, you’re right he wants everyone to like him, but he said he doesn’t know  much about them just that media is talking about them and they seem to like him. I mean the first sentence in your link quotes him saying that. 
It's not a particularly good answer for the President of the United States to say he doesn't know anything about something that's been in the news for months.  If he wanted to know about them he could have a comprehensive briefing about Q-Anon tomorrow.  

I saw the question, you’re right he wants everyone to like him, but he said he doesn’t know  much about them just that media is talking about them and they seem to like him. I mean the first sentence in your link quotes him saying that. 
I don't see how it is possible for him to not know about this.

But, say he has no clue...if he doesn't it is his responsibility to educate himself if he is going to talk about them in this manner or endorse a candidate who goes for this stuff. No?

I've always felt that this was the sentiment and logic ...and I get it as support for giving him a vote in 2016.  But that said, it seems that every Trump supporter I've encountered (particularly here and via FB), defends the president 100%.  100%.  I've never understood why his supporters can't just acknowledge his many faults but admit they're tolerating them in return for judges, deregulation, anti-status quo ...whatever the perceived benefits are.
That's not the Republicans I know.  They admit his faults and "grin and bear it".

People on the internet are bored and just want to argue(it seems.)

Leader of the free world has higher priorities.
He could read up about this in literally 15 minutes.

This is like 10 seconds into their wiki page: Q also claimed that Trump feigned collusion with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and George Soros.

The President has higher priority items...literally 1000 higher priority items including an upcoming election.
Sure. He could research this while waiting at the tee box. How long do you need to read to say "hmmm this seems a little weird"?

I'm certain he is aware and doesn't care because it assists him.

Only watching for Haley and Tim Scott's speeches with an eye on 2024 primaries

Any speech that espouses the principles of economic freedom, small government, free enterprise and federalism as opposed to just 100% Trump butt kissing gives them a leg up to me when this train crashes in November

Every Republican I know also.   The left still doesn't get it & will never get it.   Trump is not your run of the mill politician with promises that go out the window when they are elected.   He gets things done for America first.
Well every Republican I know is frustrated with the parties kowtowing to Trump and his base.   So now all of our anecdotal evidence now equals out, and means absolutely nothing.

Well every Republican I know is frustrated with the parties kowtowing to Trump and his base.   So now all of our anecdotal evidence now equals out, and means absolutely nothing.
Perhaps, but the initial reason for the ancecdotes were because of the implication that all Trump voters are a certain way.   

I think many of his voters have much more diverse and nuanced beliefs and reasoning than what is portrayed in this forum. (uneducated, white, racist etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps, but the initial reason for the ancecdotes were because of the implication that all Trump voters are a certain way...I think his voters have much more diverse beliefs than what is portrayed in this forum. (uneducated, white, racist etc.)
Sure. Any generalization that any large populace of people all act the same way, think the same way feel or feel the same way is mostly pure rhetoric and lunacy. There are obviously Trump supporters of every persuasion and type out there.  

Agreed with this, but the vast majority I know will still hold their noses and vote for him over the gun grabbing, open borders, defund the police bs with a proclivity to call people John McCain and Mitt Romney modern George Wallaces, Nazi, fascist, racist, white supremacist, Hitler-like sexists who were going to firebomb black churches and sell people into slavery and who thrive off racial division and turning people against each other in the same way the president does (just from different groups obviously) and weaponize sexual assault with no evidence for political motives (Brett Kavanaugh not Roy Moore--that's a different story)

I don't think I will vote for him but those things prevent me from ever defecting to Ds, voting anything but R down ballot or unregistering no matter my dissatisfaction

but the vast majority I know will still hold their noses and vote for him over the gun grabbing, open borders, defund the police bs
:goodposting:

Covid may have been good for the Dems but these riots and the defund the police nonsense is unquestionably good for Trump.

Agreed with this, but the vast majority I know will still hold their noses and vote for him over the gun grabbing, open borders, defund the police bs with a proclivity to call people John McCain and Mitt Romney modern George Wallaces, Nazi, fascist, racist, white supremacist, Hitler-like sexists who were going to firebomb black churches and sell people into slavery and who thrive off racial division and turning people against each other in the same way the president does (just from different groups obviously) and weaponize sexual assault with no evidence for political motives (Brett Kavanaugh not Roy Moore--that's a different story)

I don't think I will vote for him but those things prevent me from ever defecting to Ds, voting anything but R down ballot or unregistering no matter my dissatisfaction
I like how Trump supporters would never vote for a Democrat because the Democrats were mean to Mitt Romney and John McCain.  But Mitt Romney and John McCain's entire family don't seem to have the same issue.

I like how Trump supporters would never vote for a Democrat because the Democrats were mean to Mitt Romney and John McCain.  
I don't know know any Trump supporters that have these beliefs.
:shrug:  

cool post!  agree.

I like how Trump supporters would never vote for a Democrat because the Democrats were mean to Mitt Romney and John McCain.  But Mitt Romney and John McCain's entire family don't seem to have the same issue.
Call it Stockholm syndrome. And there's a difference between being "mean" and saying two center right moderates you just have disagreements with (and who even maturely defended Obama against false mudslinging from supporters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk) are Nazis who are going to sell black people into slavery and return the country to segregation

I don't know know any Trump supporters that have these beliefs.
He was referring to me and I ain't a Trump supporter fyi

He was my 16th choice (out of 16) in 2016 primaries. My guys were Kasich and Rubio and ended up voting Cruz as the anti Trump option because neither of those guys had a chance to win my state by the time of its primary. Despite being in a swing state, I wrote in Mitt Romney in 2016. This time I probably write in Paul Ryan or vote Libertarian

Last edited by a moderator:
And I seriously doubt McCain if he were alive would have forgiven being called George Wallace from his comments years later:

https://www.al.com/wire/2013/07/john_mccain_ill_never_forgive.html

Democrats have played just as much of a role in creating Trump as Republicans have with the 2008 and especially 2012 campaigns

The character assassination against Romney/Ryan was a level of low I had never seen in American politics

And I seriously doubt McCain if he were alive would have forgiven being called George Wallace from his comments years later:

https://www.al.com/wire/2013/07/john_mccain_ill_never_forgive.html

Democrats have played just as much of a role in creating Trump as Republicans have with the 2008 and especially 2012 campaigns

The character assassination against Romney/Ryan was a level of low I had never seen in American politics
Character assassination has been around forever. Bush on McCain, Bush on Kerry, Dems on Romney, go down the line.

With Trump they just happen to be much more true. 

Users who are viewing this thread