What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet’s political thoughts and commentary- back in here until the election is done (1 Viewer)

President Trump claimed this morning that if he and Pelosi reach a deal he will force the Senate Republicans to go along “in two minutes”. We’ll see, I am skeptical about this, but on the other hand I think something will happen due to political pressure, 

The stimulus is rapidly becoming the most pressing issue in this country- more pressing than the election or anything else. 

Last edited by a moderator:
President Trump claimed this morning that if he and Pelosi reach a deal he will force the Senate Republicans to go along “in two minutes”. We’ll see, I am skeptical about this, but on the other hand I think something will happen due to political pressure, 

The stimulus is rapidly becoming the most pressing issue in this country- more pressing than the election or anything else. 
I can literally hear McConnell laughing.

Now Pelosi has given a 48 hour deadline to get something agreed to: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.axios.com/pelosi-deadline-white-house-stimulus-ba295a0c-011c-477c-a76f-0fdb73dbe563.html

But it’s meaningless. She can’t walk away. 
That's terrible of her, until you read the 2nd paragraph:

Pelosi said on ABC's "This Week" Sunday that the 48-hour deadline only applies to being able to get a deal done before the election.
Pelosi the Obstructionist, yeah I don't think so.  

I thought you were referring to one of my responses. My mistake, sorry. 
To your point then: I did want to bring it up. Not Hunter Biden, couldn’t care less about that, but that Hunter Biden has become a major topic of discussion around here. Since I’m a fan of this forum, I think that’s worth complaining about. I don’t like the nonsense and trolling going on around here and I think it’s getting worse: I think that’s worth complaining about too. 

I did read it but again it’s meaningless. She can’t shut down talk before the election. Neither could Trump. They can’t walk away. 
Of course they can't. 

If someone only reads your post, or in fairness, the headline, they would surmise that she's gonna take her ball and go home in 49 hours. 

That is not the case. 

Pelosi the Obstructionist, yeah I don't think so.  
As for this- I’ll be honest with you, I’m not sure. Since I don’t trust Trump at all, I intuitively tend to agree with you. But the problem is that it’s almost impossible to get the details of these negotiations. And I do have the suspicion that Pelosi and the Democrats really wouldn’t mind failure here so long as the public blames the Republicans more. So I just don’t know at this point. 

But the reason why I tend to intuitively believe the Democrats here, beyond Trump’s total lack of honesty, is that they’re making arguments that make more sense to me. The Democrats are saying “let’s do everything that needs to be done,” while the .Republicans are trying to be more targeted, and offering some arguments that I consider specious, such as that if you give stimulus money to workers they will become lazy and stop seeking employment. That’s absurd. 
Minus the rhetoric, I generally believe that the Republican idea of targeted action is almost always preferable to general action, EXCEPT in the case or emergency. This is an emergency so I favor the Democratic approach.  

I did read it but again it’s meaningless. She can’t shut down talk before the election. Neither could Trump. They can’t walk away. 
I don't know why you keep saying this.  Why can't they?  At this point voting is under way and the country is as divided as it's ever been.  The "undecided voter" is basically a unicorn at the moment.  Getting a deal done or not will have zero impact on the election.  Yes, it will be a huge thing to help those being impacted, but the pawns have never been a consideration before and they won't be now....that's why they are referred to as "pawns".  

On the other hand (there’s almost always an other hand for me which is probably why I can never decide anything) the Republicans are complaining that the Democrats’ kitchen sink approach includes a ton of stuff that has nothing to do with the pandemic. I haven’t read the specifics but it wouldn’t surprise me if this is true. It’s always true on spending bills, there’s always tons of waste, tons of unnecessary bureaucracy. But again it’s an emergency so I don’t see what can be done about it. 

I thought you were referring to one of my responses. My mistake, sorry. 
To your point then: I did want to bring it up. Not Hunter Biden, couldn’t care less about that, but that Hunter Biden has become a major topic of discussion around here. Since I’m a fan of this forum, I think that’s worth complaining about. I don’t like the nonsense and trolling going on around here and I think it’s getting worse: I think that’s worth complaining about too. 
The nonsense and trolling has been around since the forum was created.  The amount of it really just depends on what side of the trolling you're on.  I rarely see you complain about the trolling in a Trump thread, for example.

I don't know why you keep saying this.  Why can't they?  At this point voting is under way and the country is as divided as it's ever been.  The "undecided voter" is basically a unicorn at the moment.  Getting a deal done or not will have zero impact on the election.  Yes, it will be a huge thing to help those being impacted, but the pawns have never been a consideration before and they won't be now....that's why they are referred to as "pawns".  
I think appearing to walk away would have an impact on the election, so I disagree with you. 

On the other hand (there’s almost always an other hand for me which is probably why I can never decide anything) the Republicans are complaining that the Democrats’ kitchen sink approach includes a ton of stuff that has nothing to do with the pandemic. I haven’t read the specifics but it wouldn’t surprise me if this is true. It’s always true on spending bills, there’s always tons of waste, tons of unnecessary bureaucracy. But again it’s an emergency so I don’t see what can be done about it. 
The fact that the (R) Senators are not on Fox News listing off all the pork they are bothered about should tell you something.  Don't you agree?

The nonsense and trolling has been around since the forum was created.  The amount of it really just depends on what side of the trolling you're on.  I rarely see you complain about the trolling in a Trump thread, for example.
Then you’re not paying attention. Even before I limited myself to this thread, I stopped posting in the Trump 2020 thread out of respect for the folks there. 
But my honest view is that the majority of trolling in this forum comes from Trump supporters. 

Come on, man.
Well that’s my opinion. It’s certainly subjective on my part but I firmly believe it. 
But it’s not that interesting a subject. I don’t keep score and who cares anyway? Do you have any thoughts on the stimulus? Or on the election? 

But the reason why I tend to intuitively believe the Democrats here, beyond Trump’s total lack of honesty, is that they’re making arguments that make more sense to me. The Democrats are saying “let’s do everything that needs to be done,” while the .Republicans are trying to be more targeted, and offering some arguments that I consider specious, such as that if you give stimulus money to workers they will become lazy and stop seeking employment. That’s absurd. 
Minus the rhetoric, I generally believe that the Republican idea of targeted action is almost always preferable to general action, EXCEPT in the case or emergency. This is an emergency so I favor the Democratic approach.  
FWIW, I think Pelosi is stalling to try to gum up the Senate on the Barrett vote.  

I’m having trouble predicting how the stimulus negotiations would play out after the election if it were a Democratic rout.  My first guess is nothing would happen until next year and the Democrats take over.  The proper play might be for the Republicans to take what they can get beforehand but I suspect politics would get in the way.

I’m having trouble predicting how the stimulus negotiations would play out after the election if it were a Democratic rout.  My first guess is nothing would happen until next year and the Democrats take over.  The proper play might be for the Republicans to take what they can get beforehand but I suspect politics would get in the way.
I don't see it playing out any other way.

I think Pelosi is stalling to not give Trump any momentum before the election. 
I think this is probably absolutely true. 

Trump stopping negotiations was an incredibly stupid political move. It gave Pelosi all the cover she needs to delay a stimulus until after the election.

There is only one obstructionist here, and it is McConnell.  

Pelosi the obstructionist is right wing talking point, with no fact-based merit.  

I think appearing to walk away would have an impact on the election, so I disagree with you. 
Who is it that you think would be saying "oh, I was on the fence about Biden and now Pelosi's walking away so I am voting for Trump" (or vice versa)?  More importantly, it's your belief that there are more "undecideds" out there than what every piece of evidence is saying?  Why?

The House passed 2.2 trillion dollar stimulus package.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/10/01/white-house-democrats-economic-stimulus/

Also passed a stand alone bill for airlines.

Ignored by McConnell.  

So who are we upset at again?????
Paywalled for me. If i search for stand alone airline bill i only get articles saying pelosi rejects it. But they are dated the 8th. Did that change in last 10 days? 

"Ain't going to be no standalone bill, unless there is a bigger bill," Pelosi told reporters.

Who is it that you think would be saying "oh, I was on the fence about Biden and now Pelosi's walking away so I am voting for Trump" (or vice versa)?  More importantly, it's your belief that there are more "undecideds" out there than what every piece of evidence is saying?  Why?
I don’t think anyone will change their preference. But I think a failure here could easily depress voting. 

Well that’s my opinion. It’s certainly subjective on my part but I firmly believe it. 
But it’s not that interesting a subject. I don’t keep score and who cares anyway? Do you have any thoughts on the stimulus? Or on the election? 
Did Trump supporters spend the last 4 years spreading conspiracy's the President's ties to Russia?

Kinda baffling it wasn’t always most pressing, especially in light of other congressional activities that are being forced through at breakneck speed.

But my honest view is that the majority of trolling in this forum comes from Trump supporters. 
Being relatively new to this forum, I think the troll label gets thrown out far too much. Often I believe it’s a serious difference in perspective, but our personal realities are so different it’s sometimes hard to understand the other “side”.

Granted, a lot of the pro-Trump rhetoric is complete nonsense and easily disproven, but I think those guys honestly believe it. Most aren’t arguing just to get under our skin.

Users who are viewing this thread