What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Brown, PHI (1 Viewer)

People keep asking me for predictions and I'm still stuck, sooo stuck on how everyone says how his game is so much like Delanie. 

What CB is big enough to stop that? But Delanie doesn't put up WR yardage numbers.

I think he'll be like DGB as a rookie. A whole lot of 2 for 25 or 3 for 30 games and a few 100 yard games where we're like OMG he is a beast

I am all in on this guy. May not blow it up this year but I think his short/intermediate game is a good fit for Mariota and I could see him becoming a QB favorite by the second half of the season.

This dude is a player. It may take a little time for him to really make a mark, but to see him become someone that fantasy GMs are strongly considering starting in their lineups in the second half of the year would not surprise me.

(dynastyleaguefootball) AJ Brown caught three passes for 100 yards in his NFL debut for the Tennessee Titans.

Analysis: Brown looked the part in this one as he caught three of his four targets from Marcus Mariota. While the Titans offense is far from dynamic, Brown looked like a bona fide NFL player, while his teammate Corey Davis didn't catch a single pass. This will be a situation to monitor in the coming weeks as Brown looks poised for a big early season role.
:pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
He is for real. Looked like a MONSTER out there. Did as much as he could possible do with his targets too. I don't know how often his offense will put him in positions to score, but there is zero doubt in my mind he's the best WR in this year's draft after watching today. Its like a mini TO, for real. 

This is fun to read. Loved that stuff arm.

He has barely practiced. I can't wait for him to get more time.

So to throw cold water on this.... what about Davis? I guess he drew the coverage here or is he just a JAG?
same stuff. Couldn't get open in a reasonable time, plays pattycake too much.

Titans used a lot of two TE set against the Browns great DL while 3 WR is their base this year.

If that ever happens again, I'd bet Humphries replaces him. It's surely a regret that Humphries had like 20 snaps

Davis must step up.

Fast forward, is Brown a gem that will be a #1 super quickly? Davis could probably do a lot better against 2nd CBs.  Davis just flat out can't get open on the best CBs

Mclaurin or AJ? Mclaurin was in for 93% of snaps, AJ 43%. And, where does Crowder fit in with these two?
Brown doesn't have a place yet. Humphries and Davis were to be a way bigger part of this O. Tajae and Taylor started all summer while Brown was out most of it. 

I think they'll forcefeed him in week two and peopled have raved about his ability to pickup the playbook but...we didn't see him catch ordinary passes on ordinary routes really. He caught em in a good position to make a big play and dominated.

Humphries is a chain mover. The Titans paid considerably to add him and beat out other teams bidding for him. During the summer, Mariota snap N throws to Humphries were unstoppable. Week one was disorganized as it usually is but the Browns made a ton of dumb penalties handing the Titans field position and all. 

The Titans were bad on third down (2 of 12?) and will lose many games if that continues. 

New OC Arthur Smith was as promised and I love the guy already. He ran 4 WR, 2 TE, 3 TE, 3 WR, pro set....he sent just about everyone in motion at some point and he mixed it up good. We saw them struggle and he kept being creative til he found what works. Once they're an established offense, then he can cater things to more of what each player does best. This is a growing developing unit.

Titans WR A.J. Brown (knee) was listed as limited on the team's estimated practice report Monday.

The Titans didn't actually practice Monday, but they're still required to submit an injury report. Brown is tentatively expected to suit up Thursday against the Jaguars after not missing any game time in Week 2. He balled out in Week 1 (3-100-0) before falling back to earth with a middling performance last Sunday (3-25-0). This type of inconsistency should be expected from every pass catcher involved in the Titans' run-first offense. Perhaps Brown could see enhanced target share Thursday night with stud CB Jalen Ramsey expected to shadow Corey Davis, but he's an incredibly thin fantasy football option in every format.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter.

Sep 16, 2019, 4:35 PM ET

A.J. Brown (knee) was upgraded to "full" in Tuesday's practice.

It means Brown will be good to go for Thursday's game against the Jaguars. Brown has looked like the Titans' best receiver through the first two games of his career, but he is going to have trouble translating that to fantasy value for as long as Marcus Mariota is at the controls of a run-first offense.

Sep 17, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

A.J. Brown caught 1-of-5 targets for four yards in the Titans' Week 3 loss to the Jaguars.

Brown's biggest impact came on a first half OPI. The rookie's yardage totals have decreased to 25 and four after he had a 100-yard day in Week 1. That is life in a Marcus Mariota-led offense. A switch to Ryan Tannehill might improve the Titans' overall outlook, but Tannehill isn't exactly famous for giving his receivers the opportunity to make plays down the field. Tennessee is headed to Atlanta for Week 4.

Sep 20, 2019, 12:05 AM ET

What a waste.
It would be really fun to see a decent OC and qb at the controls. Seems the pieces are there outside of the playcallers. It must be hard to run hard on every route when you are overthrown when you’re open, meanwhile watching a 6th rd rookie drop dimes for the other team. Tannehill isn’t any better, but that team is good enough to be picking in the double digits. 

It would be really fun to see a decent OC and qb at the controls. Seems the pieces are there outside of the playcallers. It must be hard to run hard on every route when you are overthrown when you’re open, meanwhile watching a 6th rd rookie drop dimes for the other team. Tannehill isn’t any better, but that team is good enough to be picking in the double digits. 
Agree. Mariota is bad, but the playcalling is worse. they need a new offensive strategy and a new qb. until then no one is viable week to week 

In actually watching the game last night, Brown looked the part and seemingly has the skills to be a WR in the league must more than the rest of his WR corps. Id keep him in dynasty or buy low in hopes the Titans can find a real QB.

No one should be shocked.  I love AJ Brown and think he was hands down the best WR in this draft.  I grabbed him in all my dynasty leagues but knew it was for the long haul. We all knew it was going to be tough sledding for him this year with Mariotta at QB and a ridiculously conservative game plan.  I think the big catch in week 1 fooled many of us thinking he was going to play a bigger role in this offense.  Great buy low in dynasty formats this kid has too much talent to be ignored just expect a lot of nights like the past 2 weeks in the short term. 

Where is the love? He needs more volume before you can put him in lineups. Still, he’s flashing early. I hope you guys scooped him up on the cheap.

this. he has been efficient and has a few tds which are not predictable

same people saying brown will be great are saying corey davis is a bust... yet davis has 1 more target on the season
Wouldn't the natural argument be to say how much more Brown has done with same targets? And nothing stays the same. The coaching staff see this and start to work Brown into their game plan even more.

Clock was already up on Davis in Tenn. Brown performance just cements it. 

I'm not starting AJ any time soon in redraft, but if you hold rookie draft today I think AJ goes top 5. 

this. he has been efficient and has a few tds which are not predictable

same people saying brown will be great are saying corey davis is a bust... yet davis has 1 more target on the season
I think they are both very talented.   I might like AJ a tad more.    And my post above was based on my opinion of his talent and future.  I certainly acknowledge the current limitations based on the current offense and personel.  

A.J. Brown hauled in all three of his targets for 94 yards and two scores in Tennessee's Week 4 victory over the Falcons.

Brown's first touchdown was an easy play-action pass over the middle of the field that saw the rookie tuck the ball and take off, simply out-sprinting Atlanta's defense for a 55-yard score. He later beat up Desmond Trufant (again) on a fade route that hit pay dirt. Brown only saw three targets on the day, but it's another example of how impactful the No. 51 overall pick can be if the Titans continue to involve him further as the season progresses. His expectations need to be tempered to WR4/FLEX range against Tre'Davious White, Levi Wallace, and Buffalo's shutdown secondary in Week 5.

Sep 29, 2019, 5:19 PM ET

TURRON DAVENPORT @TDavenportNFL

Mike Vrabel is very complementary of AJ Brown’s YAC ability. Feels he’s very strong after the catch. Also credited Corey Davis and MyCole Pruitt for helping him by blocking down field on the big runs Brown broke. #Titans 

He is still being spoonfed and needs more snaps, he missed so much time this summer though. You can see he's fairly regular when he is unsure of the routes or plays and tough to cover, decisive, and strong when he's comfy. 

I don't know why teams are still pressing him when he has shook or thrown so many CBs. That is such a dumb move, I bet he has a huge game coming at some point.

Corners have either been ten yards off the LOS or pressing, there's been no typical D this year against them. You can see why Davis has issues if you look for it. Brown also shows you how normal WRs do it. I want to see, however, how he does when defenses play their WRs regular. He's got this Owens vibe to his strength, he's got crazy long arms that he uses like Moss, he looks so much like Delanie when he's getting position....oh the kid has such greatness in spots

He is still being spoonfed and needs more snaps, he missed so much time this summer though. You can see he's fairly regular when he is unsure of the routes or plays and tough to cover, decisive, and strong when he's comfy. 

I don't know why teams are still pressing him when he has shook or thrown so many CBs. That is such a dumb move, I bet he has a huge game coming at some point.

Corners have either been ten yards off the LOS or pressing, there's been no typical D this year against them. You can see why Davis has issues if you look for it. Brown also shows you how normal WRs do it. I want to see, however, how he does when defenses play their WRs regular. He's got this Owens vibe to his strength, he's got crazy long arms that he uses like Moss, he looks so much like Delanie when he's getting position....oh the kid has such greatness in spots
Agree he looks good. On the bolded, he can't keep drawing offensive pass interference or whatever that was trying to break the press coverage, but he's really impressed with relatively few opportunities.

Not sure I agree about Davis, though that's a discussion for another thread.

A.J. Brown caught 6-of-8 targets for 64 yards in the Titans' Week 7 win over the Chargers.

This was the most consistent passing performance the Titans have had in a long time. Ryan Tannehill played with rhythm, which led to season-highs in receptions (6) and targets (8) for the Titans' intriguing receiver. Brown continues to show a lot of burst for a big receiver. There are JuJu Smith-Schuster vibes. The rookie has one of the better fantasy matchups next week with the Bucs on schedule. Brown will be a flex option. Hopefully Brown earns more looks in the second half of the season.

Oct 20, 2019, 8:20 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread