What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Meet your future NFL stud TE 

Florida junior TE Kyle Pitts caught eight balls for 170 yards and four touchdowns in Saturday's 51-35 victory against Ole Miss.

The 6-foot-6, 239-pound tight end is a cheat code at the college level. He’s too long for corners, too big for safeties, and too athletic for linebackers to cover 1-on-1. In addition to all the abuse Pitts vets out as a pure receiver, he also opened up several opportunities for teammates this afternoon off rubs or as a decoy. ESPN’s broadcast crew also noted that Pitts worked in the offseason to improve as a blocker after he was told by Mackey Award voters last year that he wouldn’t be considered for the award because he lined up out wide too often and didn’t block enough. Pitts looked much stronger in that area today. If Pitts becomes a competent blocker, watch out. He caught two less touchdowns today than he had in his first two years on campus combined. Pitts is a potential top-10 pick in next spring's draft if he keeps playing like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take him over Chuba Hubbard

No joke

1st rounder in dynasty drafts pending 1st round capital and a decent landing spot

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Arizona junior TE Kyle Pitts the top tight end eligible to be drafted in the 2021 NFL Draft.

This appears to be very close between Pitts and Penn State's Pat Freiermuth, but Pitts gets the advantage for now. The 6-foot-6, 239-pound tight end was very solid in 2020 with a line of 54-649-5, and he should be the go-to option for Kyle Trask this season. Brugler calls his biggest strength his "freaky athleticism," calls him a "souped up athlete" for the tight end position. The issue here is the drops, as the analyst notes that Pitts drops one of every eight catchable balls; a number that isn't going to be acceptable at the highest level. Still, Brugler compares him to Jared Cook, and while he notes he may not be an immediate contributor at the highest level because he has to improve his blocking as well as his finishing skills with the drops, he does believe Pitts is talented enough to be a first-round pick. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 17, 2020, 11:45 AM ET

In his early 2021 mock draft, CBS Sports' Tom Fornelli pegged Florida junior TE Kyle Pitts to the Cardinals with the 10th overall selection.

Pitts (6'6/239) broke out as an offensive weapon last season when he posted a 54-649-5 receiving line. Fornelli refers to the junior as a "matchup nightmare." In last month's draft, we did not see a tight end come off the board until the Bears took Notre Dame's Cole Kmet midway through the second round, but Fornelli -- at least in the early going -- believes the prospective position group could see a fair amount more early action next spring. Not only does he mock Pitts as a top-10 selection, later in his mock exercise, he projects the Titans to take Penn State's Pat Freiermuth with the 20th overall pick.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

May 19, 2020, 11:27 AM ET

Florida football in fine hands with Kyle Pitts, Kyle Trask in 2020

Excerpt:

Kyle Pitts is a monster at the tight end position

When Kyle Pitts took over as the starting TE, he found an immediate connection with Feleipe Franks and then Kyle Trask. The Florida football star led all tight ends in the SEC last season with 54 receptions and 654 receiving yards, while his five receiving touchdowns were third in the SEC among TEs.

After his dominant performance in 2019, Pitts shot up NFL Draft rankings. Most analysts had Pitts as a first-round prospect and the number one tight end in the 2021 NFL Draft entering the season. If his debut performance in 2020 is any indication, that might actually be underselling him.

Pitts dominated Ole Miss to the tune of eight receptions for 170 yards and four touchdowns. It’s not about the dominant stats, but rather how he put them up. Pitts beat Ole Miss in every possible way.

On his first touchdown, Pitts motioned into the backfield before releasing out into the flat for a one-yard receiving score. This is a play that only works if Ole Miss buys that Pitts is moving into the h-back position to block. If he doesn’t have a complete TE skill set this play call doesn’t work, but he does and it did.

His second touchdown showed off his ability on contested catches. Ole Miss tried to bottle up Pitts by double-teaming him in the red zone, but a perfect pass by Kyle Trask gave him a chance. Pitts showed off excellent body control and went low and behind him to make a catch that split the coverage.

He then showed off his presence in the vertical passing game on his third touchdown. He split the seams and beat the Ole Miss safety deep for a 71-yard touchdown. This touchdown demonstrated Pitts has the speed to be a matchup nightmare for safeties and linebackers.

His fourth touchdown may have been the best of the lot. Trask threw a 50-50 ball up to Pitts in double coverage in the end zone, and Pitts ripped it away from the two Ole Miss defenders. Out-jumping and out-muscling the two defenders in coverage to cap off a flat out dominant performance highlighted that Pitts can beat a defense in every way you would look for a tight end to win.

Next year is definitely a better year for TEs with Pitts, Freiermuth, and Jordan.  Light years better than this year's crop.

Darren Waller plus 
my thought exactly.

after the 1st couple tds, i thought oh yeah, steelers 1st round pick.

after the next couple, no way he makes it to the steelers pick.

and i can't remember a TE i would have really wanted in the 1st ever.  and i don't think that's a major need now.

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings 1.0

Excerpt:

3) Kyle Pitts, TE

School: Florida | Year: Junior

Pitts is a long, lean tight end prospect with excellent speed, ball skills and production. He has lined up inline, flexed in the slot and split out wide. He runs routes like a wideout. The former Gator has burst off the line, sets up defenders and explodes out of the break point. He beat upper-echelon SEC cornerbacks on a weekly basis. He builds speed to separate down the seam and tracks the ball naturally down the field. Pitts has an enormous catch radius. He uses his speed to pile up yards after the catch. He showed tremendous improvement as a blocker in 2020. He fits up, doing his best to wrestle and stay attached. He will fall off at times, but the effort is there. Overall, Pitts is a unique talent with the ability to take over a game. He is the definition of a mismatch player.

Meet your future NFL stud TE 

Florida junior TE Kyle Pitts caught eight balls for 170 yards and four touchdowns in Saturday's 51-35 victory against Ole Miss.

The 6-foot-6, 239-pound tight end is a cheat code at the college level. He’s too long for corners, too big for safeties, and too athletic for linebackers to cover 1-on-1. In addition to all the abuse Pitts vets out as a pure receiver, he also opened up several opportunities for teammates this afternoon off rubs or as a decoy. ESPN’s broadcast crew also noted that Pitts worked in the offseason to improve as a blocker after he was told by Mackey Award voters last year that he wouldn’t be considered for the award because he lined up out wide too often and didn’t block enough. Pitts looked much stronger in that area today. If Pitts becomes a competent blocker, watch out. He caught two less touchdowns today than he had in his first two years on campus combined. Pitts is a potential top-10 pick in next spring's draft if he keeps playing like this.
This guy is legit. He's a nightmare match up. To say he's a TE is just a disservice to him. He's like a WR/TE hybrid. Probably the best actual TE prospect we've had in awhile thats been worth the hype. 

NFL Rumors & Draft News: 2021 NFL Draft class comes into focus

Excerpt:

Florida TE Kyle Pitts is now inside your top 5 of NFL Draft prospects. Do you think he could be the first TE selected in the top 7 picks since 2006? Where do you rank him compared to other recent TE prospects?

It’s going to be very tough for Pitts to break into the top 10 this year.  Looking at the teams with selections in that range, several of them need a tight end but they all have more pressing needs.

For comparison purposes, I believe Pitts is the best tight end in the draft since Vernon Davis, but I believe Pitts is more complete than the former sixth pick of the draft. 

I think he’s in play as high as #3 to Miami and then every pick down from that except the Lions and Bronco’s. I would guess Atlanta would take a good long look at him with Smith now their head coach, TE is a big part of his offensive philosophy and Hurst is literally their only TE under contract.

I think he’s in play as high as #3 to Miami and then every pick down from that except the Lions and Bronco’s. I would guess Atlanta would take a good long look at him with Smith now their head coach, TE is a big part of his offensive philosophy and Hurst is literally their only TE under contract.
I doubt if Miami selects Pitts at #3 over an elite WR like Chase or Smith. 

I doubt if Miami selects Pitts at #3 over an elite WR like Chase or Smith. 
:shrug:  They have many picks, BPA might be a WR or it might be Pitts, a trade down, something else. They can pick among many good WR’s in FA with the 7th most cap space or still grab a great WR prospect at 18. Based on the hype, Pitts doesn’t seem likely to be available by the time they pick again at 18. I don’t think Gesicki is good enough to rule Pitts out as an option for them and their extra picks and cap space allows them a lot of flexibility.

Considering all the elite WRs will be gone and I doubt Surtain falls to #11, it's looking like Pitts could be the guy for the Giants. New York needs explosive pass catchers to try and prop up Daniel Jones and Pitts would be fantastic. He's not exactly blocked by Evan Engram either, as Giants played in 12 personnel 27% of all their snaps, 8th most in 2020 out of all teams.

This guy is going to make or break Mock Draft contests - not impossible for him to be the first TE taken in the top 5 since...Riley Odoms in 1972? :eek:

(though Lapham the Bengals oracle did seem to throw cold water on that) 

-QG

This guy is going to make or break Mock Draft contests - not impossible for him to be the first TE taken in the top 5 since...Riley Odoms in 1972? :eek:

(though Lapham the Bengals oracle did seem to throw cold water on that) 

-QG
Winslow at 6 is the highest I remember in my lifetime. 

I know much of it can depend on landing spot, but where do we see this guy going in Super Flex rookie drafts?
I am in a SF, IDP 12 team league and I am holding out hope he makes it back to me at 2.03.  I expect 4 QB, 3-4 RB, 4-5 WR, 1-2 IDP to go in that time frame so there is a chance he makes it to pick 15.  Our league isn't usually TE prioritized so I think there is a chance.   Fingers crossed.

I know much of it can depend on landing spot, but where do we see this guy going in Super Flex rookie drafts?
Here is the disclaimer...this post is not about whether a TE should go early or not, that is different.

I think if you really want Pitts you need to be prepared to take him as soon as the QBs go off the board (again, I am not saying whether this is the correct strategy)...I don't think there is any debate that he is one of the better TE prospects we have seen and his talents definitely translate to today's game...combine that with the fact that the TE position is currently very dicey and an Owner may want to roll the dice on him early with the hope he is not just the next Kelce but he also has the TE position locked down for the next decade...with the amount of high-end WRs that have been coming into the league now I can see someone taking Pitts over the WRs because what he can potentially do is far more difficult to find...as for the RBs there appears to be a big 3 (Najee, Etienne and Williams) and their landing spot will dictate some of their value...overall, I think there is a good chance you will see a pretty big swing where Pitts goes from league to league and if you really want him then you gotta be careful thinking he will fall because that may not happen.

Right now, I see 4 qbs, 4 wrs,  3 rbs going ahead of him in SF.   That would put him at 1.12, at the latest

Luckily, there is no combine, otherwise I'd see him vaulting as high as 1.7, 1.8

In non super flex, I have easily at 1.9, and not afraid to move up to 1.6.   Even if I overpay, it will be a joy to not roster 3 to 4 tes and clear up some precious roster spots

I can see him all over the board. As some mentioned, if you want him, I think you have to be prepared to either take him early, or be okay with missing out on him.

I play in a Superflex TE PREMIUM (2 pts per catch). 

I see him as 1.02 in this format and it’s not close.
I have 1.02 in just such a format. The league I'm in also has big negatives for turnovers (-4 pts), so not great QBs aren't crazy valuable. 

I'm not at "not close" right now, but I'm leaning Pitts.

Landing spot is obviously going to be key for Pitts. Also have to temper expectations for year 1, as very few TEs are overly productive as rookies. Have to love the potential long-term advantage though in an increasingly weak position fantasy wise.

I have 1.02 in just such a format. The league I'm in also has big negatives for turnovers (-4 pts), so not great QBs aren't crazy valuable. 

I'm not at "not close" right now, but I'm leaning Pitts.
I have 1.01 and 1.02.  Getting 2 potential generational talents at those picks has me very excited.  

jadensdad said:

I honestly would not blame someone for taking this guy just about anywhere in the first round. TEs are tough to come by. If you feel set elsewhere, I'd recommend trying to trade down in order to gain some more picks or something then taking Pitts.

I honestly would not blame someone for taking this guy just about anywhere in the first round. TEs are tough to come by. If you feel set elsewhere, I'd recommend trying to trade down in order to gain some more picks or something then taking Pitts.
I have considered that ( I have 1.01 and 1.02) but I fear going back too much would lose the player.

I have considered that ( I have 1.01 and 1.02) but I fear going back too much would lose the player.
It's definitely risky for sure.

I would rather get the players I want than get "value" and not get them.
I agree with this. I just know a lot of people wouldn't want to take him that early so that could be a work around to trade back, but as jadensdad said, you could lose that player.

It's definitely risky for sure.

I agree with this. I just know a lot of people wouldn't want to take him that early so that could be a work around to trade back, but as jadensdad said, you could lose that player.
Given the history of TE development and overall bust rate as far as fantasy goes and the fantasy production you eventually get compared to RB and WR, I think it is a mistake to take him early (within the first 6 picks), even in a TE premium league (as long as scoring isn't absurd for the position).  I'm not saying he will bust, or anything remotely like that, but I like the potential future fantasy value of someone like Rashod Bateman, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith, or Javonte Williams more.

jadensdad said:

Im in  SF TE premium and definitely have him in the top 5...depending on where he lands could be the #2....TEs with that kind of upside arent available every year.  

Im in  SF TE premium and definitely have him in the top 5...depending on where he lands could be the #2....TEs with that kind of upside arent available every year.  
I agree that TEs with his upside aren't available often, but no way I would take him within the first 3 picks, and probably not within the first 6 picks.  People in these TE premium leagues also reached for Hockenson and Fant.  Pitts has more upside than both for sure, but Pitts will need to go to a team that can use him in creative ways with an outside-the-box thinker orchestrating the offense that allows his assets to shine.  If he goes to a team that doesn't utilize his talents fully, that is the reason why i wouldn't take him too early.  I believe there is a lot of risk with TEs, but that is just me.

I agree that TEs with his upside aren't available often, but no way I would take him within the first 3 picks, and probably not within the first 6 picks.  People in these TE premium leagues also reached for Hockenson and Fant.  Pitts has more upside than both for sure, but Pitts will need to go to a team that can use him in creative ways with an outside-the-box thinker orchestrating the offense that allows his assets to shine.  If he goes to a team that doesn't utilize his talents fully, that is the reason why i wouldn't take him too early.
Fair point....and a lot of it depends where he lands, the system and your team needs.....if he hits and is the next big thing he could be a monster addition to put your team over the top....but even if he is solid but not spectacular like Hock and Fant he would be a key addition....definitely should be a higher floor than most...going to be very tempting.  

Fair point....and a lot of it depends where he lands, the system and your team needs.....if he hits and is the next big thing he could be a monster addition to put your team over the top....but even if he is solid but not spectacular like Hock and Fant he would be a key addition....definitely should be a higher floor than most...going to be very tempting.  
If this was a mediocre draft I would jump higher for Pitts, but it isn't.  This draft is loaded with talent for 3 rounds of dynasty drafting, but especially in the first round.  When you have players like Harris, Williams, Etienne, Chase, Waddle, Bateman, Lawrence, Moore, and Smith, I would have a harder time taking Pitts early.  I'm not saying I wouldn't take Pitts over any of those players, but I'm just making a point with Pitts in this draft, given the history of the TE position.

In one Zealots non-ppr league I'm in, I have pics 1, 8, 10, 12, 13, & 14.

I won't select him at 8.

Will think about it but likely pass at 10.

If he's still there with the final three, I'll take him then.

I love all of the differing opinions as it makes me think more about things. It's interesting the different takes and strategies. I'm currently trying to grab one more first rounder, a and may likely wait until the draft to do so, to see if he's still on the board at a certain point.

Users who are viewing this thread