What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (1 Viewer)

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

1. Cheers 16 Points
  2. All in the Family 15 Points
  3. Taxi 14 Points
  4. M*A*S*H 13 Points
  5. The Cosby Show 12 Points
  6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show 11 Points
  7. WKRP in Cincinnati 10 Points
  8. Mork and Mindy 9 Points
  9. The Bob Newhart Show 8 Points
  10. Barney Miller 7 Points
  11. The Jeffersons 6 Points
  12. Three’s Company 5 Points
  13. Family Ties  4 Points
  14. Night Court 3 Points
  15. The Love Boat 2 Points
  16. A Different World 1 Point
Really well done in a tough category.  I think about the only changes I would have would be to move Mork and Mindy down behind Barney Miller and probably drop Three's Company behind Night Court.  You could make a lot of arguments for moving the top 6 around based on personal comedic preferences and historical impact but I think you nailed them.

:lmao:   I take it from your comment that you aren’t a tennis fan and don’t actually watch him on TV.  He’s outstanding - enough to be given two shows (although both bombed) and he’s the best tennis guy out there save maybe his brother.  I don’t really care because I expected a low number for him but just wanted to point out it’s a disservice to him and his TV career because he’s really good.
Yep, not a huge fan.  I know he's not a bad analyst from watch I watched, but he's really not a huge personality in sports. 

Another possibly missed - Tony Romo
I might have homered myself into picking the only person who will be in the Hall of Fame as a Player, Coach and Broadcaster in any sport - the recently-deceased Tommy Heinsohn - and getting bottomed on points like i did w him as basketball coach, but i kept wondering when someone would grab Romo. Listened to him w Bill Simmons over the holiday and there is just such narrative capacity to all his thoughts. Best i ever heard -

I might have homered myself into picking the only person who will be in the Hall of Fame as a Player, Coach and Broadcaster in any sport - the recently-deceased Tommy Heinsohn - and getting bottomed on points like i did w him as basketball coach, but i kept wondering when someone would grab Romo. Listened to him w Bill Simmons over the holiday and there is just such narrative capacity to all his thoughts. Best i ever heard -
I listened to this same podcast. Romo was fantastic. 

If we do this again in 5 years i bet he gets drafted.

I listened to this same podcast. Romo was fantastic. 

If we do this again in 5 years i bet he gets drafted.
Exactly my thought also.  Part of my judging is the impact these guys had on the sports world.  Tony already has shown to have some of this as compared to other color guys.

You know what's weird? I remembered that Soap was still out there. But for some reason -- even having my own copy of the spreadsheet to peruse -- I mentally sorted the other shows on your omissions list as "taken". Of course, it was actually characters from those shows that were taken.

Sorry -- Pitchfork ... I used your pick in this category to shout out a show I enjoyed personally back in the day.
Yeah , I thought Happy Days was gone for some reason... I know I would have fared better.

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

1. Cheers 16 Points
  2. All in the Family 15 Points
  3. Taxi 14 Points
  4. M*A*S*H 13 Points
  5. The Cosby Show 12 Points
  6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show 11 Points
  7. WKRP in Cincinnati 10 Points
  8. Mork and Mindy 9 Points
  9. The Bob Newhart Show 8 Points
  10. Barney Miller 7 Points
  11. The Jeffersons 6 Points
  12. Three’s Company 5 Points
  13. Family Ties  4 Points
  14. Night Court 3 Points
  15. The Love Boat 2 Points
  16. A Different World 1 Point
As other's have already said, this was a difficult category and you did a great job.  I didn't watch a lot of All in the Family so I would have had that down quite a bit on the list and I also have Cheers as the best by quite a bit.  Taxi/MASH is a just a personal preference flip flop as they are both great.  

I was happy to See Mork get some love as that could have been banished in the wrong hands.  Great job all around.

Tier 4 - The Voice of God

8 Points - John Facenda

When I randomly input all the choices from this cat on my spreadsheet, my first thought was, "John Facenda, how odd. That's a one for sure."

I mean, who really knows about his personality?   I've lived most of my life in So Cal.   I'm a huge fan of all the NFL films work from Day 1, but really didn't know the name of the voice behind it for quite some time. (I'm guessing the '80's) I guess if you're from the East coast, you knew who he was from his TV news work in the Philly area.

NFL Films

One night in 1965, Facenda went to a local tavern, the RDA Club, which happened to be showing footage produced by NFL Films. He enjoyed the slow-motion game sequences that were already an NFL Films trademark and would later recall:

I started to rhapsodize about how beautiful it was. Ed Sabol, the man who founded NFL Films, happened to be at the bar. He came up to me and asked, 'If I give you a script, could you repeat what you just did?' I said I would try.

Thus began Facenda's association with NFL Films, one that would continue until his death. Facenda narrated many highlight films during his career with the company. His dulcet baritone was the perfect match for the highly dramatic nature of the footage he narrated, and earned him the nickname "The Voice of God." Probably one of the best-remembered (and most frequently-quoted) examples of Facenda's NFL Films narration is something he never actually said: "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" was a quote sportscaster Chris Berman made up, mimicking Facenda's voice when he said it. Steve Sabol, son of Ed, claimed that "John may have made a game seem more important than it was because he read lines with a dramatic directness" Bob Costas called Facenda's voice "one of the most remarkable instruments in the history of broadcasting."

For me, his voice is the best ever. It's so incredible.

I moved him up to here because he is directly responsible for being a huge part of the Personality of the NFL.  You have to try and think really hard when thinking about any part of the history of the NFL and not hear his voice. He had an incredible amount of impact on the explosion of the NFL on TV IMO.

Comedy - 1971 to 1990

Let’s just start out with me saying this is an extremely difficult exercise as these shows are all classics and deserve the recognition they get here and otherwise. A lot of the margins in the rankings will be extremely thin and I can honestly say that there is only one show on here I did not really like. Anything ranked towards the bottom of the list is merely a reflection of such a strong field, not that show itself.

My rankings will be mostly subjective (75%) and will be based on the writing, acting, overall series run, memorable characters and of course, finally, how funny the show was. I’ll also add some level of objectivity (25%), to be fair about it, which will be based on general reputation of the shows, Emmy wins and where it ranks on the IMDb all time comedy rankings – which runs across all eras.

Notable Omissions: Sanford and Son; Soap; The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Welcome Back Kotter, Laverne and Shirley
Outstanding job Doc.  And I cannot believe that The Odd Couple didn't get picked.  I just noticed somebody post it in the Mt. Rushmore thread and it blew my mind.  How high would you have it on the list?

Come on - what exactly is her work?  Marv has done a ton more than she has. 
Being outstanding at her job in a profession with a well-documented history of excluding women. The fact that she's a houehold name and recognizable face speaks volumes. 

Judge didn't like my pick. Let me get out the 'ol creepy Woz.   :lmao:
I didn't accuse you of not liking it. Your write-up was good and it still delivered me slight value given where I drafted her. She was just one of the few picks I had in this draft where i thought to myself that it could wind up being a steal based on eventual rankings. She's top ten in a number of online rankings and I saw her as high as 5.  

Outstanding job Doc.  And I cannot believe that The Odd Couple didn't get picked.  I just noticed somebody post it in the Mt. Rushmore thread and it blew my mind.  How high would you have it on the list?
I can't believe any of those five didn't get picked.  My last two HS years were in spent in the hell known as Burbank.  Went to about 5-6 tapings each of Sanford and Son and Welcome Back Kotter.     The Odd Couple was a great show.

Being outstanding at her job in a profession with a well-documented history of excluding women. The fact that she's a houehold name and recognizable face speaks volumes. 
Yeah - we will just have to agree to disagree on her.  She's very, very good at what she does and isn't just a pretty face but she's not known for really anything.  McEnroe had his own TV show and has broadcast the tennis majors for like what, 10-15 years.  I get tennis is seen as an inferior sport but there's no universe where she's a bigger TV sports personality over McEnroe. 

I can't believe any of those five didn't get picked.  My last two HS years were in spent in the hell known as Burbank.  Went to about 5-6 tapings each of Sanford and Son and Welcome Back Kotter.     The Odd Couple was a great show.
I would immediately move Odd Couple in to the top half, definitely ahead of Mork and Mindy - although I would move Newhart up so maybe it would be 9th. 

I didn't accuse you of not liking it. Your write-up was good and it still delivered me slight value given where I drafted her. She was just one of the few picks I had in this draft where i thought to myself that it could wind up being a steal based on eventual rankings. She's top ten in a number of online rankings and I saw her as high as 5.  
I couldn't find any reliable online rankings. Personality is taken many different ways.

It’s a personal favorite but it would be hard to crack the Top 5, so I’ll somewhere in the 6/7 range.

What happened to that old Romo thread? That was great stuff. 
I'm not sure we've ever had a bigger "turnaround" than that guy.  He was a pretty good QB who frequently wilted in the spotlight (or at least the Cowboys did) and he's PHENOMENAL as a play by play guy.  Just unreal how good he is.  I think people still wanted to bag on him for his QB'ing days.

I couldn't find any reliable online rankings. Personality is taken many different ways.
For sure. And I totally expect TV rankings to be far more objective than the sports draft rankings. Again, I just thought Erin was one of my better picks given where I was able to draft her. 

I'm not sure we've ever had a bigger "turnaround" than that guy.  He was a pretty good QB who frequently wilted in the spotlight (or at least the Cowboys did) and he's PHENOMENAL as a play by play guy.  Just unreal how good he is.  I think people still wanted to bag on him for his QB'ing days.
Maybe Alex Rodriguez? He went from essentially being universally hated and despised (for the steroids and his tabloid fodder) to being a respected analyst within just a few years. While I don't think A-Rod is as good as Romo (who I find absolutely exceptional) as an analyst, A-Rod is still really damn good and his jump up may be higher from his low point compared to Romo's. I never got the sense that Romo was disliked but more so maybe just not as respected as he should have been because of a few bad losses and that botched snap/hold. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Alex Rodriguez? He went from essentially being universally hated and despised (for the steroids and his tabloid fodder) to being a respected analyst within just a few years. While I don't think A-Rod is as good as Romo (who I find absolutely exceptional) as an analyst, A-Rod is still really damn good and his jump up may be higher from his low point compared to Romo's. I never got the sense that Romo was disliked but more so maybe just not as respected as he should have been because of a few bad losses and that botched snap. 
That's a good call, especially as I don't think anybody expected either of these guys to be this good on TV - maybe more so A-rod.  I would kind of put McEnroe in that same bucket.  People knew he was smart, knew he was a hot head and had a bombastic personality but not sure anybody expected him to be so good.

Romo is not a play by play guy.  He is a color commentator that adds analysis to the broadcast.  It's a very different set of skills than being a play by play guy.

And yes, Romo is a phenomenal analyst for the broadcast.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
That's a good call, especially as I don't think anybody expected either of these guys to be this good on TV - maybe more so A-rod.  I would kind of put McEnroe in that same bucket.  People knew he was smart, knew he was a hot head and had a bombastic personality but not sure anybody expected him to be so good.
I wouldn't put him ahead of A-Rod but I found Trent Dilfer to be surprisingly great as an analyst as well (relative to his on-field reputation). 

Tier 5 - The Hall of Famer TV Sports personalities

Sports Personality and Personal Personality.

This next tier is full of guys that are incredible Sports Personalities. While they all had very distinctive, personal, personalities that made them who they are, their personal personalities is not what made them famous like the Top four that had an incredible amount of both. The body of work all of these guys in this tier had is truly mind blowing.

9 POINTS - Jim Lampley

ABC Sports

In 1974, while in graduate school, he was chosen along with Don Tollefson in what ABC called a talent hunt. ABC executives thought that Lampley's youthful looks would make him endearing to the college crowds they looked to attract for their college football games. At ABC, he covered such events as Major League Baseball and college basketball games, the 1986 and 1987 Indianapolis 500, the 1977 Monon Bell game between DePauw University and Wabash College, five Olympics, as well as the program Wide World of Sports.

From 1983 to 1985, he was the studio host of ABC broadcasts of the United States Football League (USFL), a spring league that featured stars such as Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, Steve Young and Reggie White.

On July 4, 1984, with Sam Posey alongside, he called the NASCAR Firecracker 400, and interviewed President Ronald Reagan during the winner's interview with Richard Petty.

In 1985, Lampley along with Al Michaels served as anchors for ABC's coverage of Super Bowl XIX, the first Super Bowl that ABC televised. After the game, Lampley presided over the presentation ceremony for the trophy.

KCBS

In 1987, Lampley moved to CBS. At CBS, he took over duties as co-anchor on the daily news show in Los Angeles, and also was a correspondent. That same year, he began working for HBO, covering boxing and HBO's annual telecast of Wimbledon. He also attended the Albertville Olympics in 1992, as a news anchor for KCBS-TV.

NBC Sports

In 1992, Lampley moved to NBC, where he helped cover the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, 1993 Ryder Cup, and the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. In 1993, Lampley took over studio hosting duties for Bob Costas on The NFL on NBC. Lampley moved to play-by-play duties for NBC's NFL telecasts the following year and was later replaced by Greg Gumbel. In 1995, he began working at the Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel HBO series. In 1998, he covered the Nagano Olympics and the Goodwill Games for Turner, and in 2000, he covered the Sydney Olympics, again for NBC.

In 2004, Lampley was the daytime anchor for NBC's Olympics coverage for the 2004 Summer Olympics, as well as anchoring the USA Network's coverage of the Games. In 2006, Lampley served as a central correspondent for the 2006 Winter Olympics which aired on the networks of NBC Universal. Torino 2006 was the 13th Olympics Lampley covered, surpassing the record set by America's original voice of the Olympics, Jim McKay. Lampley was again called upon to anchor for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China, Lampley's 14th Games. The 2010 Winter Olympics was the first time since the 1980 Summer Olympics that he didn't cover. Al Michaels served as the daytime host of the 2010 Olympics on NBC. Lampley also did not cover the 2012 Summer Olympics either in which Michaels also served as the daytime host.

HBO World Championship Boxing

Fans may best know Lampley for his work on HBO World Championship Boxing show, Boxing After Dark and on the HBO pay-per-view telecast in March 1988 until December 2018 when HBO announced that they would drop the boxing program. As blow by blow announcer, he has called some of boxing's most famous moments, such as Thunder Meets Lightning, when Julio César Chávez saved himself from a decision defeat by knocking out Meldrick Taylor (who was leading the fight on two of the three official scorecards) with only two seconds to go in the last round; James "Buster" Douglas's upset of Mike Tyson for the World Heavyweight championship. Other highlights in his career were the first Riddick Bowe-Andrew Golota fight at Madison Square Garden, where a riot occurred following the "Foul Pole's" disqualification for low blows, and the famous "It happened...IT HAPPENED!" call of George Foreman's miracle comeback against then heavyweight champion Michael Moorer when a straight right ended Moorer's reign.

Lampley also hosted a series called Legendary Nights in 12 installments in honor of HBO's three decades covering boxing in 2004, recounting 12 memorable fights broadcast on HBO in that timespan.

Lampley writes, hosts and executive produces his own studio boxing news show, The Fight Game with Jim Lampley on HBO.

Olympic Coverage

1976 Winter Olympics (play-by-play for ABC)

1976 Summer Olympics (play-by-play for ABC)

1980 Winter Olympics (play-by-play for ABC)

1984 Winter Olympics (daytime host for ABC)

1984 Summer Olympics (late-night host for ABC)

1992 Winter Olympics (coverage for KCBS-TV)

1992 Summer Olympics (late-night host for NBC)

1996 Summer Olympics (late-night host for NBC)

1998 Winter Olympics (primetime host for TNT)

2000 Summer Olympics (cable host for MSNBC)[1]

2002 Winter Olympics (cable host for both MSNBC and CNBC)[1]

2004 Summer Olympics (daytime host for NBC and cable host for USA Network)[1]

2006 Winter Olympics (daytime and late-night host for NBC)[1]

2008 Summer Olympics (daytime host for NBC)

Sports radio

Lampley was the first program host on New York's sports talk radio station WFAN when it began operation on July 1, 1987.

Awards and recognitions

In 1992, he won the Sam Taub Award for excellence in boxing broadcasting journalism

For his participation in the Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel HBO series, Lampley earned three Emmy awards.

Lampley was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in its 2015 class

Game Show Scores 

#16 Press Your Luck (1 point)

This pick deserves a Whammy! OK, it's not a bad show, but there are better ones in this draft.

#15 Name That Tune (2 points)

The concept was good, but trying to name piano versions of famous tunes is painful and dull (OK, I suck at it so it's getting a lower score!)

#14 The Price Is Right (3 points)

This show has been popular for decades - I still can't quite figure out why. And Bob Barker was always a jerk.

#13 The $25,000 Pyramid  (4 points)

A fun show to watch, requiring quick thinking and having a celebrity on your team that is hopefully not a moron.

#12 The Newlywed Show (5 points)

Not the brightest contestants in the world and they usually just won some boring major appliance.  But they sure had some funny spontaneous answers over the years - "Where is the strangest place that you ever made whoopie.....?..etc.

#11 The Match Game (6 points)

The place where washed up celebrities go to keep busy. It was a fun show to watch with some good one liners.

#10 Let's Make A Deal (7 points)

The line "Greed is good" must have originated on this show. I still remember the lady who had won over $12,000 worth of stuff and was seriously thinking (more like agonizing) of trading it all in for a 1 out of 3 chance to win the Big Deal Of The Day which was only worth about $9,000.

#9 What's My Line (8 points)

A classic game show that had you thinking carefully about who was lying and who wasn't. Some of the players were really good at faking you out.

#8 The Gong Show (9 points)

Silly, goofy, and tacky, but still fun and entertaining. Chuck Barris looked like his smile had been super glued on his face, a la The Joker.

#7 Wheel of Fortune (10 points)

Yeah, Pat is sort of pleasant and Vanna seems as intelligent as a cauliflower. But this hangman styled show is reasonably fun and easy for almost anyone to play at home.

#6 Family Feud (11 points)

The contestants are pretty bad but the game is still fun to watch and try to play at home. Richard Dawson really was a great host.

#5 Password (12 points)

OK, it's not as exciting as some, but it took some brains to do well at it. And Alan Ludden was another great host.

#4  Remote Control (13 points)

An entertaining parody of other game shows and 80s fads. It was almost always fun to watch.

#3 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (14 points)

A challenging show that got more difficult through the years (I think the sponsors tightened up the budget). I got on this show at Disney's California Adventure (it's gone now) and the music, flashing lights and video screens made it really tough to think while in the hot seat.

#2 Hollywood Squares (15 points)

My whole family enjoyed this show, especially with Paul Lynde in the center square. So many good one liners on it. And it kept nine basically washed up celebrities off of the unemployment rolls.

#1 Jeopardy (16 points)

The King of game shows. It's so challenging that one day you are bragging to your friends about how well you did that night and the next night all 3 contestants breeze through a Final question that you are completely clueless about. Some of the contestants on it are truly amazing. Now if those super smart contestants could just figure out how to bet the Final question....

Maybe Alex Rodriguez? He went from essentially being universally hated and despised (for the steroids and his tabloid fodder) to being a respected analyst within just a few years. While I don't think A-Rod is as good as Romo (who I find absolutely exceptional) as an analyst, A-Rod is still really damn good and his jump up may be higher from his low point compared to Romo's. I never got the sense that Romo was disliked but more so maybe just not as respected as he should have been because of a few bad losses and that botched snap/hold. 
Um, Link?

And I still despise him.  No matter how much they try to cram him down our throat.

Game Show Scores 

#16 Press Your Luck (1 point)

This pick deserves a Whammy! OK, it's not that a bad show, but there are better ones in this draft.

#15 Name That Tune (2 points)

The concept was good, but trying to name piano versions of famous tunes is painful and dull (OK, I suck at it so it's getting a lower score!)

#14 The Price Is Right (3 points)

This show has been popular for decades - I still can't quite figure out why. And Bob Barker was always a jerk.

#13 The $25,000 Pyramid  (4 points)

A fun show to watch, requiring quick thinking and having a celebrity on your team that is hopefully not a moron.

#12 The Newlywed Show (5 points)

Not the brightest contestants in the world and they usually just won some boring major appliance.  But they sure had some funny spontaneous answers over the years - "Where is the strangest place that you ever made whoopie.....?..etc.

#11 The Match Game (6 points)

The place where washed up celebrities go to keep busy. It was a fun show to watch with some good one liners.

#10 Let's Make A Deal (7 points)

The line "Greed is good" must have originated on this show. I still remember the lady who had won over $12,000 worth of stuff and was seriously thinking (more like agonizing) of trading it all in for a 1 out of 3 chance to win the Big Deal Of The Day which was only worth about $9,000.

#9 What's My Line (8 points)

A classic game show that had you thinking carefully about who was lying and who wasn't. Some of the players were really good at faking you out.

#8 The Gong Show (9 points)

Silly, goofy, and tacky, but still fun and entertaining. Chuck Barris looked like his smile had been super glued on his face, a la The Joker.

#7 Wheel of Fortune (10 points)

Yeah, Pat is sort of pleasant and Vanna seems as intelligent as a cauliflower. But this hangman styled show is reasonably fun and easy for almost anyone to play at home.

#6 Family Feud (11 points)

The contestants are pretty bad but the game is still fun to watch and try to play at home. Richard Dawson really was a great host.

#5 Password (12 points)

OK, it's not as exciting as some, but it took some brains to do well at it. And Alan Ludden was another great host.

#4  Remote Control (13 points)

An entertaining parody of other game shows and 80s fads. It was almost always fun to watch.

#3 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (14 points)

A challenging show that got more difficult through the years (I think the sponsors tightened up the budget). I got on this show at Disney's California Adventure (it's gone now) and the music, flashing lights and video screens made it really tough to think while in the hot seat.

My whole family enjoyed this show, especially with Paul Lynde in the center square. So many good one liners on it. And it kept nine basically washed up celebrities off of the unemployment rolls.

#1 Jeopardy (16 points)

The King of game shows. It's so challenging that one day you are bragging to your friends about how well you did that night and the next night all 3 contestants breeze through a Final question that you are completely clueless about. Some of the contestants on it are truly amazing. Now if those super smart contestants could just figure out how to bet the Final question....
Solid job here.

Have never seen or heard of #4.  LOL.

WOF is #3 IMO.  Gong Show #4.

Paul Lynde has so many great one liners,  but the best game show answer ever was the question you posed from the Newlywed Game, "In the butt, Bob."

Game Show Scores 

Without having any idea how the judge would rank these shows this is a pleasant surprise and Team GallStein's first positive value pick (+4).  I am hoping this is a sign of things to come.

I loved this show and Match Game because of the celebrity guests.  The game part was secondary.  I really wondered if the judge would value entertainment over actual game play.  I was hoping entertainment and Mr. Mojo came through.  Great job Mr. Mojo, Great Job!

Game Show Scores 

Without having any idea how the judge would rank these shows this is a pleasant surprise and Team GallStein's first positive value pick (+4).  I am hoping this is a sign of things to come.
I picked mine (password, #5 for 12 points) in round 43, the second the last one picked. There was good value all over this draft.

I loved this show and Match Game because of the celebrity guests.  The game part was secondary.  I really wondered if the judge would value entertainment over actual game play.  I was hoping entertainment and Mr. Mojo came through.  Great job Mr. Mojo, Great Job!
I was referring to this post Captain Suck Up.  :D

That was a complaint.  He is supposed to only get 1 pointers 

Solid job here.

Have never seen or heard of #4.  LOL.

WOF is #3 IMO.  Gong Show #4.

Paul Lynde has so many great one liners,  but the best game show answer ever was the question you posed from the Newlywed Game, "In the butt, Bob."
:yes:   Another disappointment for this greatest all-time draft champion. 

Maybe it's my age showing, but I though Hollywood Squares was super dumb. 

Users who are viewing this thread