What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (2 Viewers)

well, good thing I drafted things I like and not things that would score well considering I have no chance of winning now, lol

@AAABatteries Looks like I can no longer edit the doc. I went to add the scores and couldnt

well, good thing I drafted things I like and not things that would score well considering I have no chance of winning now, lol

@AAABatteries Looks like I can no longer edit the doc. I went to add the scores and couldnt
It still shows you as an editor.  No clue why that isn't working.  Maybe our boy @hagmania can help?

I normally wait until the whole category is posted before adding them just to make things easier for those following along.

Also, note to the judges - while revealing them in multiple posts is great (and somewhat encouraged), I'd ask that once a category is complete that you just post the full list.  TIA.

3 pts Elly May Clampett (from The Beverly Hillbillies)

4 pts Lily Munster (from The Munsters)

Both of these picks suffer by comparison. Though Elly May had a slightly larger role on the ensemble cast of her show than Granny (in terms of the plot line surrounded her more of the time), she isn't nearly as memorable as Granny because she wasn't given as many good jokes.

Lily was played by the supremely talented Yvonne DeCarlo, in what was a wasted role for her. She did a fine job with it, but again she pales in comparison to the other "monster housewife" on this list, Morticia Adams, mainly because the scriptwriters on the latter show were simply far more talented.

It still shows you as an editor.  No clue why that isn't working.  Maybe our boy @hagmania can help?

I normally wait until the whole category is posted before adding them just to make things easier for those following along.

Also, note to the judges - while revealing them in multiple posts is great (and somewhat encouraged), I'd ask that once a category is complete that you just post the full list.  TIA.
Let me go back and see if I have that email that shared it with me. That might be the issue. 

5 Pts Agent 99 (from Get Smart)

6 Pts Lisa Douglas (from Green Acres)

7 Pts Granny Daisy Moses (from The Beverly Hillbillies)

Now we're getting somewhere. These characters had some great comedic moments, though again they're largely one-dimensional foils. (Eva Gabor's finest moment on her show is the opening theme song.) If any of these ladies had any character development at all I might have to rank them even higher, but all three were largely the exact same person on the last episode as they were on the first episode. Granny gets the highest ranking because of the three of them she was consistently given the funniest lines. BTW, whoever did the spreadsheet wrote in "Granny Norris" several times and I couldn't figure out who that was.

Haha you're still welcome to make my pick for me!
somebody mentioned Derek Jacobi in I Claudius yesterday - arguably the best dramatic characterization in the history of television. the others i considered before selecting Brett's Sherlock were Leo McKern in Rumpole of the Bailey, Vinny Terranova in Wiseguy and Caine in Kung Fu

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
8 Pts Morticia Addams (from The Addams Family)

9 Pts Alice Kramden (from The Honeymooners)

10 Pts Laura Petrie (from the #### Van Dyke Show)

All of these are brilliantly written, complex characters well deserving of high ranking. The only reason they’re not in the top 6 is that all 3 are part of ensemble casts, none of them are the central character (the closest is Laura Petrie, played by Mary Tyler Moore, which is why she gets the highest ranking of these.) Morticia is the least developed of these characters but with arguably the best comedic lines. And Alice Kramden set down all the rules. 

11 Pts Ann Marie (from That Girl)

So this is my pick. Marlo gets in the top 6 because she is the star of her show. She is at the bottom of the top 6 because she is the least interesting of them. She’s a fashion plate. There’s a show right now on Netflix called Emily in Paris that is a modern version of That Girl: Young pretty girl in the big city charms everyone she meets. 

12 Pts Connie Brooks (from Our Miss Brooks)

13 pts Hazel Burke (from Hazel

These shows are largely forgotten now, yet they starred women at a time when women were rarely featured as the star. The actresses who played them won several Emmys (and Eve Arden was a huge star for years.) 

Both of these were terrific picks. 

These shows are largely forgotten now, yet they starred women at a time when women were rarely featured as the star. The actresses who played them won several Emmys (and Eve Arden was a huge star for years.) 

@Pitchfork -- got you a net 11 points right here  :yes:  

14 Pts Jeannie (from I Dream of Jeannie)

15 Pts Samantha Stephens (from Betwitched)

I could write a whole essay about the role of these two characters in the society of the Mad Men male dominated 60s, and I’m sure somebody has. They represented two sides of the male fantasy: the pretty housewife and the sexy servant girl. Both given unlimited magical powers but that only gets them into trouble because how can you trust a woman to handle that kind of responsibility? 
Both characters are iconic. Samantha gets the slight nod here because her character was more iconic (and also I believe a little more complex.) 

16 Pts Lucy Ricardo 

15 Pts Samantha Stephens

14 Pts Jeannie 

13 Pts Hazel Burke

12 Pts Connie Brooks 

11 Pts Ann Marie 

10 Pts Laura Petrie

9 Pts Alice Kramden 

8 Pts Morticia Addams 

7 Pts Granny Daisy Moses 

6 Pts Lisa Douglas 

5 Pts Agent 99

4 Pts Lily Munster 

3 Pts  Ellie May Clampett

2 Pts Harriet Nelson 

1 Pt. Margaret Anderson 

14 Pts Jeannie (from I Dream of Jeannie)

15 Pts Samantha Stephens (from Betwitched)

I could write a whole essay about the role of these two characters in the society of the Mad Men male dominated 60s, and I’m sure somebody has. They represented two sides of the male fantasy: the pretty housewife and the sexy servant girl. Both given unlimited magical powers but that only gets them into trouble because how can you trust a woman to handle that kind of responsibility? 
Both characters are iconic. Samantha gets the slight nod here because her character was more iconic (and also I believe a little more complex.) 
If anything, Samantha's had a good handle on things and it was Darrin and Endora who complicated things.

16 Pts Lucy Ricardo 

15 Pts Samantha Stephens

14 Pts Jeannie 

13 Pts Hazel Burke

12 Pts Connie Brooks 

11 Pts Ann Marie 

10 Pts Laura Petrie

9 Pts Alice Kramden 

8 Pts Morticia Addams 

7 Pts Granny Daisy Moses 

6 Pts Lisa Douglas 

5 Pts Agent 99

4 Pts Lily Munster 

2 Pts Harriet Nelson 

1 Pt. Margaret Anderson 
You did very well with these.  Kudos.  As someone who recently managed a draft spreadsheet, major kudos for ONLY listing the points earned.  It gets confusing inputting them when rank and score are listed.

16 Pts Lucy Ricardo 

15 Pts Samantha Stephens

14 Pts Jeannie 

13 Pts Hazel Burke

12 Pts Connie Brooks 

11 Pts Ann Marie 

10 Pts Laura Petrie

9 Pts Alice Kramden 

8 Pts Morticia Addams 

7 Pts Granny Daisy Moses 

6 Pts Lisa Douglas 

5 Pts Agent 99

4 Pts Lily Munster 

2 Pts Harriet Nelson 

1 Pt. Margaret Anderson 
Nice work on these rankings Tim. 

@AAABatteries I was able to get to my editable version HOWEVER, the cells in the score column are locked and I can not enter the points. Looks like its all you GB
I was just able to enter points into the By Drafter tab. All the formulas populated into the other tabs as expected. AAA must've opened it up.

Standings after 1 category

1. Yo Mama--16
  2. Doug B--15
  3. Hov34--14
  4. rick6668--13
  5. Pitchfork--12
  6. timschochet--11
  7. KarmaPolice--10
  8. mphtrilogy--9
  9. Mrs. Rannous--8
  10. Gally Steiner--7
  11. jwb--6
  12. tuffnutt--5
  13. Zow--4
  14. Tolstoy--3
  15. TripleLayne--2
  16. AcerFC--1

I was just able to enter points into the By Drafter tab. All the formulas populated into the other tabs as expected. AAA must've opened it up.
Interesting you have 15 points and Acer and I only have 1 and 2 respectively.  We need to up our data entry game!

Standings after 1 category

1. Yo Mama--16
  2. Doug B--15
  3. Hov34--14
  4. rick6668--13
  5. Pitchfork--12
  6. timschochet--11
  7. KarmaPolice--10
  8. mphtrilogy--9
  9. Mrs. Rannous--8
  10. Gally Steiner--7
  11. jwb--6
  12. tuffnutt--5
  13. Zow--4
  14. Tolstoy--3
  15. TripleLayne--2
  16. AcerFC--1
I DECLARE VICTORY!!!!

All future illegal data dumps will be suspect and will be met with swift litigation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lily was played by the supremely talented Yvonne DeCarlo, in what was a wasted role for her. She did a fine job with it, but again she pales in comparison to the other "monster housewife" on this list, Morticia Adams, mainly because the scriptwriters on the latter show were simply far more talented.
I see what you did there.

Nice job.

Ok, since it looks like this category is filled now, here is the untapped genre of Sports Personality that I thought could potentially have scored well depending on the judges definition of “sports”. 

Professional wrestlers - athletic exploits, great performers and self-promoters, huge weekly tv ratings with mammoth PPV events (also on tv). 

Wondering how someone like Hulk Hogan (or pick your favorite wrestler) would have ranked in this category. 

Ok, since it looks like this category is filled now, here is the untapped genre of Sports Personality that I thought could potentially have scored well depending on the judges definition of “sports”. 

Professional wrestlers - athletic exploits, great performers and self-promoters, huge weekly tv ratings with mammoth PPV events (also on tv). 

Wondering how someone like Hulk Hogan (or pick your favorite wrestler) would have ranked in this category. 
I looked a bit at the WWE/WWF stuff.  Personality too, but also somebody like Jim Ross for play by play guy for S&Gs.  

For sports personality, Don Cherry could have been an interesting pick. I'm not sure how well a judge would rank a xenophobic Canadian hockey commentator though.
I would rank him very highly.  Iconic, despite any warts.  Cosell had those, too, and I expect he'll be near the top.  (Note I have not checked to see if he was taken in this category because I am lazy and also don't care.)

Doug and I discussed this. We came to the conclusion that wrestlers were not what were meant for sports personalities

I'm 2/3 done with this cat right now.   Not a fan of calling wrestling a sport, but personality wise, Hogan would score better than a few of the ones I've already looked at for sure.

For sports personality, Don Cherry could have been an interesting pick. I'm not sure how well a judge would rank a xenophobic Canadian hockey commentator though.
Always bonus points for hockey answers.   There are a few picks with negative or no personalities and I'm not very tactful.  LOL

ETA:  Based on the list I have, I would have given Cherry  7 or 8 points

There are a few horror and sci fi series I have not seen, so I will watch at least an episode or two of each - those rankings will be a bit.

Detective = late this week/early next.

I'll take it!  Seeing as this was picked in the 33rd round as one of my makeups.  

16 Pts Lucy Ricardo 

15 Pts Samantha Stephens

14 Pts Jeannie 

13 Pts Hazel Burke

12 Pts Connie Brooks 

11 Pts Ann Marie 

10 Pts Laura Petrie

9 Pts Alice Kramden 

8 Pts Morticia Addams 

7 Pts Granny Daisy Moses 

6 Pts Lisa Douglas 

5 Pts Agent 99

4 Pts Lily Munster 

2 Pts Harriet Nelson 

1 Pt. Margaret Anderson 
Good rankings and writeups, Tim. 

@mphtrilogy / @rick6668 / Yo Mama Conference

MPH - You owe me 71-90 Supporting Woman rankings

Rick - you owe me 71-90 S.upporting Man and Woman, and owe MPH Theme Song (unless you already sent them to him)

MPH - are you going to consolidate 91-20 Drama?  @Zow was interested in this category, so maybe he can send his rankings to you to join our consortium. 

Rick - do you want our Holiday rankings, or are you doing those yourself?

No rush on these, just calling out who to send what to (via DM). 
Been busy, sorry for the delay..  Please send me holiday rankings, I will incorporate

@Yo Mama @mphtrilogy

Will send the ones I owe you soon.

I'm going to take Villain and Action - I will ask if someone will volunteer to help place my picks.

Need somebody to step up and take some.  Note - I don't plan to do huge write-ups but I'll try.  No promises though.

Category

• 1971-1990 drama
  • 1971-1990 leading man drama
  • 1971-1990 leading woman drama
Anyone up for doing some combined rankings with me on these?  This was the only period of time when I was regularly watching TV, but I watched a lot then and have probably seen all this ####.  Would love to have another judge to balance it all out, though.

ETA:  That assumes no one has taken these, which I didn't bother to check.

TV Sports Personality - Judging

per·son·al·i·ty

the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.

a famous person, especially in entertainment or sports.

Okay, let's get the ball rolling.....

1) I have no idea who each of you took or in what order you took them.   I randomly skip all over the spreadsheet and write the names down in no particular order.

I'll do this for each cat I judge like I did in the Sports draft judging.

2) I'm a numbers-holic.    That served well judging like a dozen cats in the Sports draft.  Doesn't serve we well here. So a lot of these will just be my gut opinion. You'll get upset. And I don't care.  LOL.

3) Much like Tim did, the picks kinda sort themselves out into distinctive groups.  All but two of the picks IMO fell into a group. So there are like tiers with the best going at the top of the tier.

4) I just turned 61.  I've been watching all four major sports, The Olympics, March Madness and major golf since 1967. Watched a lot of comedy sitcoms up until our twins were about five in 1994. Mostly only sports since then.  I can't remember missing an NFL weekend.  Have NHL and MLB season subs.

Possibly missed - Don Cherry, Jim Rome, Skip Bayless, Keith Olbermann, Matthew Berry. (I've worked with two of those five)

Tier One -  The Crud

1 POINT. - John McEnroe 
   Being only known for outbursts isn't a great personality trait.  He did get a tiny bit of mileage out of it though.

Just enough so that no one knows: 

After retirement from the tour

After retiring, McEnroe pursued his post-tour goal of becoming a working musician. He had learned to play guitar with the help of friends like Eddie Van Halen and Eric Clapton. During his divorce, McEnroe formed The Johnny Smyth Band with himself as lead singer and guitarist, began writing songs, and played small gigs in cities where he played with the senior tour. Although Lars Ulrich complimented his "natural instinct for music", a bar owner where McEnroe's band played said that "he couldn't sing to save his life." The band toured for two years, but McEnroe suddenly quit in 1997 just before finishing his first album.

He was married to Tatum O'Neal, got divorced and is married to rocker Patti Smyth.

2 POINTS - Stephen A. Smith

Can. Not. Listen. To. Him.   Insta-channel-change. Shock-Jocks have always turned me off.   Have never liked him and like him even less after doing research on him. Who decided his opinions were good and gave him the huge platform he has?  Seems to be more about the shouting and driving ratings than actual content.

He loves women:
On July 25, 2014, Smith made controversial remarks on First Take that women may provoke domestic abuse, in regards to the domestic violence situation involving Baltimore Ravens' running back Ray Rice and his wife. After criticism of the remarks, including comments on Twitter from ESPN reporter Michelle Beadle, Smith apologized for his words on a taped segment on ESPN. On July 29, 2014, Smith was suspended by ESPN for a week and did not appear on any of their programs again until August 6, 2014

He also used the race card as just an opinion regarding Chip Kelly. He could have been right, but he had no proof, and that's a serious accusation you just can't float out there.  Just have little respect for this guy.

Tier Two - I Do a Great Job, but I have to. I just am not allowed to be a shock jock and make 5x as much.

3 POINTS -  Erin Andrews

2000–2004: Early work

In 2000, Andrews was employed by Fox Sports Florida as a freelance reporter. From 2001 to 2002, she served as a Tampa Bay Lightning reporter for the Sunshine Network. From 2002 to 2004, Andrews covered the Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Thrashers, and Atlanta Hawks for the Turner South network as a studio host and reporter.

2004–2012: ESPN

Andrews began working for ESPN in April 2004 as a reporter for ESPN National Hockey Night. She has also reported for the College World Series, Little League World Series, and Great Outdoor Games. Andrews began serving as a sideline reporter for ESPN College Football Saturday Primetime and Big Ten college basketball games, and in 2005, her job expanded to include ESPN College Football Thursday Primetime and Major League Baseball sideline reporting. From 2008 to 2010, she reported for ESPN's and ABC's live coverage of the Scripps National Spelling Bee.

In 2010, Andrews competed on the tenth season of ABC's Dancing with the Stars with partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy. They placed third out of 11 couples.

2012–present: Fox Sports and host roles

Andrews reporting for Fox Sports on the deck of USS Midway (CV-41) in November 2012

On June 29, 2012, it was announced that Andrews was leaving ESPN to join Fox Sports. She was the first host of Fox College Football's studio show and was joined by analysts Eddie George and Joey Harrington. Andrews also became a contributor on Fox NFL Sunday and served as a field reporter for most major sporting events aired on Fox, such as the MLB All-Star Game, the World Series, the NFL Playoffs, and Daytona 500.[15] With the launch of Fox Sports 1 on August 17, 2013, Andrews became the guest host of Fox College Football Kickoff and Fox College Saturday, a direct competitor to ESPN College Gameday, which previews the weekend's biggest college football games. Andrews also contributed to the daily studio show Fox Football Daily. Beginning with the 2014 NFL season, Andrews became the sideline reporter on Fox's lead NFL broadcasting crew after replacing Pam Oliver. She later re-signed with Fox Sports in 2016 to report exclusively with the network's NFL crew.

In March 2014, Andrews replaced Brooke Burke-Charvet as co-host of Dancing with the Stars, joining Tom Bergeron for the show's 18th season. She and Bergeron remained in their roles through the show's 28th season.

Andrews has also co-hosted the CMT Music Awards twice, having hosted the 2015 ceremony with actress Brittany Snow on June 10and the 2016 ceremony with NFL player J. J. Watt on June 8.

She's made it because she's very good at her profession.  I enjoy all of her reporting and the homework she puts behind it.  Just not a mega-personality like most of the rest.

4 POINTS -  Lesley Visser

Visser is the first female NFL analyst on TV, and the only sportscaster in history (male or female) who has worked on Final Four, NBA Finals, World Series, Triple Crown, Monday Night Football, the Olympics, the Super Bowl, the World Figure Skating Championships and the U.S. Open network broadcasts. Visser, who was voted the No. 1 Female Sportscaster of all-time in a poll taken by the American Sportscasters Association, was elected to the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association's Hall of Fame in 2015.

Visser was the first woman to be recognized by the Pro Football Hall of Fame as the 2006 recipient of the Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award which recognizes long-time exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football. 

Begins television career at CBS Sports

In 1983, she did a few features for CBS. In 1984, Visser joined CBS Sports part-time and went full-time in 1987. Her assignments included the NBA including the NBA Finals, college basketball including the Final Four, MLB including the World Series, College World Series, college football, horse racing, Tennis including the U.S. Open of Tennis (1984–1993) and the Olympics.

In 1989 she covered the fall of the Berlin Wall, focusing on how sports would change in East Germany. In 1990 she became a regular on The NFL Today with Greg Gumbel, Terry Bradshaw and Pat O'Brien. Also in 1990, Visser became the first woman to cover the World Series. In 1992, she became the first and only woman to handle the Super Bowl Trophy presentation.

ABC Sports and ESPN

After CBS lost television rights to NFL games in 1993, Visser went to ABC Sports and ESPN. In 1995, she became the first woman ever to report from the sidelines during a Super Bowl when she covered Super Bowl XXIX for ABC. In 1998, she became the first woman ever assigned to Monday Night Football. She also covered Super Bowl XXXIV for ABC in 2000.

While at ABC Sports, Visser served as a reporter for college football bowl games and the NFL playoffs games during Wild Card Saturday. She also contributed to horse racing including the Triple Crown, ABC's Wide World of Sports, Major League Baseball, including the 1995 World Series, figure skating, Special Olympics, skiing, the Pro Bowl, and an ABC series A Passion to Play. She co-hosted the network's coverage of the "Millennium Tournament of Roses Parade."

For ESPN, Visser covered the Super Bowl, college basketball, figure skating, and horse racing including the Triple Crown.[14] She also contributed to SportsCenter, NFL GameDay, and Monday Night Countdown.

Return to CBS Sports

In August 2000, Visser returned to CBS, with her assignments being NFL, college basketball, Tennis, Figure Skating and Horse Racing as well as special projects for CBS News. Today Visser's assignments are a contributor to The NFL Today and college basketball. In 2004, she became the first woman sportscaster to carry the Olympic Torch when she was honored in 2004 by the International Olympic Committee as a "pioneer and standard-bearer."

During the 2001 NFL season Visser became the first female color analyst(NBC's Gayle Sierens was the first female play-by-play announcer) on an NFL broadcast booth. She joined play-by-play announcer Howard David and analyst Boomer Esiason in the booth for Westwood One/CBS Radio. Visser also joined HBO's highly acclaimed Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.[17]

Visser was a pre-game reporter for The Super Bowl Today, where she covered Super Bowl XXXV, Super Bowl XXXVIII, Super Bowl XLI, and Super Bowl XLIV pre-game broadcasts, and during Super Bowl XLI she also served as a sideline reporter, becoming the first woman ever to do so.Visser was loaned to NBC Sports twice to cover the Olympics as she covered the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens when she served as the Equestrian reporter. She also covered the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino as a reporter for Short Track Speed Skating.

In September 2007, she returned to roots as she now writes a column for CBSSports.com.  (Bastages dropped my radio show after they bought sporstline.com. LOL)

Helped pave the way for a lot of women to get into sports on TV.  But again, like above, had to be super professional and isn't really a mega-personality. Just damn good.

I should have 71-90 Supporting Woman ready tomorrow or Friday, but these sports personality writeups will put mine to shame. 

Anyone up for doing some combined rankings with me on these?  This was the only period of time when I was regularly watching TV, but I watched a lot then and have probably seen all this ####.  Would love to have another judge to balance it all out, though.

ETA:  That assumes no one has taken these, which I didn't bother to check.
I might be able to give you some rankings for these, but it might not be until later next week so I can get through my other categories. 

71-90 tv is my wheelhouse. 

Users who are viewing this thread