Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Man who claims to not watch the NBA at all somehow able to recite last 3 years of NBA ratings at command


Recommended Posts

Nets and Sixers made a deal today to take the day off? Thinking back the last few years, i can't remember a year that getting 1st place would seem to be this important in the East. Avoiding both Nets/Sixers and Bucks fight it out in the 2nd round and letting that tired team play away for the Finals is an envious position 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GUESS WHAT I AM DOING TODAY??????                 Going to see the Knicks @ Clippers in staples -- wooot wooot, been so long. then... heading for mali

Hickory dickory dock, Ben’s 3 bounced off the shot clock. OH!

Guys, this thread sucks every year. 

8 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

It is an overpay, but I love Holiday and he fits this team perfectly. Great defender can play on and off the ball. If he stays healthy I really think this is the only team can beat the Nets in the East and could win the title. 

The only thing holding the Bucks back might be lack of depth and maybe some shooting off the bench, but who knows the Lakers won last year with LeBron and AD and not much else. 

Edit: Now waiting for angry 76er fans too come in here and flame away about their team and how the whole world is against them. 

Ahhh... Msudaisy, you're better than that.  Had to throw the trolling edit in there hey?  Here we go again.

Yet not a single sixers fan in here said we would beat the Nets.  In fact, I think the Nets beat us if we don't have HCA, and probably even still do even without it.

Oh no, a Sixers fan wasn't cocky, what in the world are we gonna talk about now or do for likes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, modogg said:

Nets and Sixers made a deal today to take the day off? Thinking back the last few years, i can't remember a year that getting 1st place would seem to be this important in the East. Avoiding both Nets/Sixers and Bucks fight it out in the 2nd round and letting that tired team play away for the Finals is an envious position 

Don't think you're giving the Heat enough credit.  Sure they don't have it all together now, but if/when they do, they could be just as dangerous as the Bucks in the playoffs.  It's such a clear top 4, just jump to the 2nd round already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA Thread: let’s just fast forward to the playoffs already...
4 hours ago, Deamon said:

Ahhh... Msudaisy, you're better than that.  Had to throw the trolling edit in there hey?  Here we go again.

Yet not a single sixers fan in here said we would beat the Nets.  In fact, I think the Nets beat us if we don't have HCA, and probably even still do even without it.

Oh no, a Sixers fan wasn't cocky, what in the world are we gonna talk about now or do for likes?

You guys bring it on yourselves. Go back and read some of the 76er fans posts in these threads over the years. 

There was someone last year that wanted to trade Ben Simmons straight up for Chris Paul like this past offseason. 

How about the majority of 76ers who wouldn't trade Simmons for Kawhi unless the Spurs gave up something else. 

Or trying to trade Tobias Harris this offseason and calling his contract one of the worst in the league. The guy has been the most important player on your team this year because Embiid has missed so much time. 

How about claiming the 76ers would have won the title if Kawhi didn't hit that buzzer beater... In a tie game... In the second round of the playoffs. 

How about claiming the 76ers would have been in the Finals last if they kept Butler because he helped take the Heat there. 

The constant complaining about the refs when the team is like top 5 in free made and attempted. 

Plus the constant bagging on other players on other teams. Would you guys trade Simmons for Luka or prime LeBron or guys like that? Simmons could be that type of player if he could shoot outside of 12 feet. The worst part isn't that he can't shoot, it is he refuses to even work on it and you guys just give him a pass all while knocking a guy like Giannis who has won 2 MVPs and his range has extended out every year of his career. 

So tldr. Sorry not sorry. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deamon said:

Don't think you're giving the Heat enough credit.  Sure they don't have it all together now, but if/when they do, they could be just as dangerous as the Bucks in the playoffs.  It's such a clear top 4, just jump to the 2nd round already.

The Heat have a negative point differential, have a record of 26-24, are only a game up on 8th place, and pretty much the entire supporting cast behind Butler and Bam are playing worse than last year. Oladipo is a shell and unless he figures things out may be completely out of the rotation by the playoffs. The only thing keeping them afloat is the fact that the east is kind of a joke beyond the top 3 teams.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtics once again teasing with a couple of wins and looking good on both ends vs. the lowly Hornets yesterday for a 30 pt win.

  • Robert Williams should be the starting center going forward if he stays healthy.  His mistakes are no longer a net negative against his positive impact.  He needs to learn how to go against the #1s night in and night out and his play will set the Celtics ceiling this season, but they need his defense.
  • Romeo Langford finally hit the floor again last night and looked good in very limited time (he hadn't played since the bubble).  He hit a nice three, had a great block and had a couple of other good defensive possessions, but it was a small sample size and the whole team was rolling.
  • Pritchard/Fornier are a nice tandem off the bench.
  • Smart is still not playing his best basketball.
  • Walker still isn't the all-NBA player he was in Charlotte, but he seems to be steadying his play more.
  • Tatum and Brown are still great, but Tatum still takes stupid shots and Brown still loses focus and fumbles the ball at times.

They have the talent and the health now to push for the 4 seed.  I think they will land there and win a home playoff series.  The only way they win a second round series is if their opponent gets hit with injuries.  I just don't think they can beat MIL, PHI or BRK in a series if their key players are all playing.

Edited by Jayrod
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Celtics once again teasing with a couple of wins and looking good on both ends vs. the lowly Hornets yesterday for a 30 pt win.

  • Robert Williams should be the starting center going forward if he stays healthy.  His mistakes are no longer a net negative against his positive impact.  He needs to learn how to go against the #1s night in and night out and his play will set the Celtics ceiling this season, but they need his defense.
  • Romeo Langford finally hit the floor again last night and looked good in very limited time (he hadn't played since the bubble).  He hit a nice three, had a great block and had a couple of other good defensive possessions, but it was a small sample size and the whole team was rolling.
  • Pritchard/Fornier are a nice tandem off the bench.
  • Smart is still not playing his best basketball.
  • Walker still isn't the all-NBA player he was in Charlotte, but he seems to be steadying his play more.
  • Tatum and Brown are still great, but Tatum still takes stupid shots and Brown still loses focus and fumbles the ball at times.

They have the talent and the health now to push for the 4 seed.  I think they will land there and win a home playoff series.  The only way they win a second round series is if their opponent gets hit with injuries.  I just don't think they can beat MIL, PHI or BRK in a series if their key players are all playing.

Charlotte missing LaMelo and Heyward looks like it is a death sentence for them for now. Shame, they were fun to watch and doing well, hope for that team that both can come back for a play-in game as a 10th seed or something. 


will be interesting to see how far Williams has come along tomorrow night. Embiid is still easing back in, but should be a fun game

and yeah i think Tatum is ranked one of the lowest in player efficiency right now. I forget the stats i heard the other day, but they weren't great

Link to post
Share on other sites

hmm, strange fact i heard this morning, Karl-Anthony Townes is 2 years younger than Embiid. Didn't realize how young KAT still was. 

I was thinking that a KAT for Tatum trade would make sense for both teams (might have to add a little on one of the sides, not sure which one), and with him only being 25 i think it makes tons more sense. I am guessing Minnessota may need to add a bit, maybe a 1st or something, but it would seem to be beneficial for both

Link to post
Share on other sites

tuned in to the Magic v Nuggest game last night. the NBA is wild.

2nd quarter, Nuggets look dead beat. completely listless. bored. down 18. Orlando cruising despite playing their 5th game in 8 days.

at one point Wendell Carter checked in for the Magic looking like he just woke up from a 3-day bender and proceeds to play well and look like an NBA player.

2nd half starts, Nuggets look a little more interested. a couple makes. a rebound here and there. middle of the 3rd the tide turns and Denver wraps the quarter down 1.

and wins by 10.

having watched a bunch of college in the last few weeks the games are just so vastly different. in college you can have several empty possessions in a row and it may not matter. you can go scoreless for 4-5 minutes and only lose 2-3 pts.

in the NBA you come up empty 3 times in a row, 4 out of 5, you can see a 10 pt lead evaporate in 1:30 of game time or less. it's insane. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msudaisy26 said:

You guys bring it on yourselves. Go back and read some of the 76er fans posts in these threads over the years. 

There was someone last year that wanted to trade Ben Simmons straight up for Chris Paul like this past offseason. 

How about the majority of 76ers who wouldn't trade Simmons for Kawhi unless the Spurs gave up something else. 

Or trying to trade Tobias Harris this offseason and calling his contract one of the worst in the league. The guy has been the most important player on your team this year because Embiid has missed so much time. 

How about claiming the 76ers would have won the title if Kawhi didn't hit that buzzer beater... In a tie game... In the second round of the playoffs. 

How about claiming the 76ers would have been in the Finals last if they kept Butler because he helped take the Heat there. 

The constant complaining about the refs when the team is like top 5 in free made and attempted. 

Plus the constant bagging on other players on other teams. Would you guys trade Simmons for Luka or prime LeBron or guys like that? Simmons could be that type of player if he could shoot outside of 12 feet. The worst part isn't that he can't shoot, it is he refuses to even work on it and you guys just give him a pass all while knocking a guy like Giannis who has won 2 MVPs and his range has extended out every year of his career. 

So tldr. Sorry not sorry. 

 

Oof where to even begin. You haven't even posted in this thread for years and even took a couple years off of these forums so not sure how you're an expert on what's been posted the last couple years. 

Who said they wanted to trade Ben for Paul?  I don't recall that. However, according to this threads posters, Ben isn't even a top 200 player in the league and Paul is way better than him so what's the issue here? 

The "majority of 76ers fans" ?  If you're concluding the "majority" wouldn't have traded Ben for kawhi based on maybe 3 dudes in a FBg forum, then you might need a lesson on statistics.  At that time Kawhi was a 1 year rental and Ben a promising young player. In hindsight do we make that trade?  Yes. But to act like it's a hit on a fan or that a fan is "deserving" of constant trolling just because they undervalued/overvalued a player in their mind?  Oh no, what a crime!  Must troll them!  

Harris's contract was seen as a bad contract by many. Many non sixers fans in this page talked about how his contract was bad. Yet if we mention it then we are "bringing it on ourselves?".  Yikes. So pretty much if we have an opinion that a player is better than he is, or worse than he is, that's a fault in your eyes. Fans must be quiet about their opinions on a player being better/worse and must be correct 100 percent of the time or else they deserve trolling. Ok cool, good to know. 

Re: Butler, same as above. Haven't actually seen anyone post this and have read every post in these threads the last two yrs. Who said that?  

The ref thing I agree with you, modogg does bring them up a lot and maybe too much. 

To answer your final question, of course we would trade Simmons for luka or prime LeBron. Not a single person has said otherwise. You're making up that narrative to try to make your list longer.

As for Ben, you're late to the party and we've been through this a million times already. How do you know he isn't working on it? (He is).  Guys like Popp and many other analysts have said he doesn't even need to shoot to be elite... yet any positive thing about him that comes out is immediately and conveniently ignored here. And who is giving him a free pass?  I fully agree that it's a weakness of his game and that he should incorporate it into his game. No need to invent arguments that aren't even there. We all wish he would shoot better and agree it would bring him from a top 25 NBA player to a top 10 NBA player. Not a single sixers fan has called him a top 10 nba player but you've created the narrative that we have. He's top 25 and most people within the NBA agree on that.  The only time Giannis was mentioned was when a bucks fan kept going off on Ben's shooting percentage which was better this year than Giannis'.  Giannis is a much better player overall than Ben... but this is another narrative you've created to try to strengthen an otherwise weak point. Don't think any sixers fan has exaggerated how good Ben is, or said he's better than LeBron, luka, or giannis. He's not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

tuned in to the Magic v Nuggest game last night. the NBA is wild.

2nd quarter, Nuggets look dead beat. completely listless. bored. down 18. Orlando cruising despite playing their 5th game in 8 days.

at one point Wendell Carter checked in for the Magic looking like he just woke up from a 3-day bender and proceeds to play well and look like an NBA player.

2nd half starts, Nuggets look a little more interested. a couple makes. a rebound here and there. middle of the 3rd the tide turns and Denver wraps the quarter down 1.

and wins by 10.

having watched a bunch of college in the last few weeks the games are just so vastly different. in college you can have several empty possessions in a row and it may not matter. you can go scoreless for 4-5 minutes and only lose 2-3 pts.

in the NBA you come up empty 3 times in a row, 4 out of 5, you can see a 10 pt lead evaporate in 1:30 of game time or less. it's insane. 

Just to add to this. I can't remember the last time I have seen so many 30 + point blowouts. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kev4029 said:

The Heat have a negative point differential, have a record of 26-24, are only a game up on 8th place, and pretty much the entire supporting cast behind Butler and Bam are playing worse than last year. Oladipo is a shell and unless he figures things out may be completely out of the rotation by the playoffs. The only thing keeping them afloat is the fact that the east is kind of a joke beyond the top 3 teams.

I think (could be wrong) that they pull it together for the playoffs. Playoff Jimmy has been on another level in the past, and could be again. I hope I'm wrong, since Kelly left I hate them now 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

Just to add to this. I can't remember the last time I have seen so many 30 + point blowouts. 

i've been casually watching the NBA for a long time.. maybe not as much the past couple years.. and maybe it's the get off my lawn in me, but it sometimes feels like guys/teams just stop trying in games. 

they're tired, the game feels out of hand, they are in a bad mood, whatever.  it feels like you can see guys shut it down in real time sometimes.

maybe it has always been that way :shrug: probably so. but it definitely feels, to me, like guys mail it in and games get out of hand more often today than in years past.

Edited by mr. furley
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Oof where to even begin. You haven't even posted in this thread for years and even took a couple years off of these forums so not sure how you're an expert on what's been posted the last couple years. 

Who said they wanted to trade Ben for Paul?  I don't recall that. However, according to this threads posters, Ben isn't even a top 200 player in the league and Paul is way better than him so what's the issue here? 

The "majority of 76ers fans" ?  If you're concluding the "majority" wouldn't have traded Ben for kawhi based on maybe 3 dudes in a FBg forum, then you might need a lesson on statistics.  At that time Kawhi was a 1 year rental and Ben a promising young player. In hindsight do we make that trade?  Yes. But to act like it's a hit on a fan or that a fan is "deserving" of constant trolling just because they undervalued/overvalued a player in their mind?  Oh no, what a crime!  Must troll them!  

Harris's contract was seen as a bad contract by many. Many non sixers fans in this page talked about how his contract was bad. Yet if we mention it then we are "bringing it on ourselves?".  Yikes. So pretty much if we have an opinion that a player is better than he is, or worse than he is, that's a fault in your eyes. Fans must be quiet about their opinions on a player being better/worse and must be correct 100 percent of the time or else they deserve trolling. Ok cool, good to know. 

Re: Butler, same as above. Haven't actually seen anyone post this and have read every post in these threads the last two yrs. Who said that?  

The ref thing I agree with you, modogg does bring them up a lot and maybe too much. 

To answer your final question, of course we would trade Simmons for luka or prime LeBron. Not a single person has said otherwise. You're making up that narrative to try to make your list longer.

As for Ben, you're late to the party and we've been through this a million times already. How do you know he isn't working on it? (He is).  Guys like Popp and many other analysts have said he doesn't even need to shoot to be elite... yet any positive thing about him that comes out is immediately and conveniently ignored here. And who is giving him a free pass?  I fully agree that it's a weakness of his game and that he should incorporate it into his game. No need to invent arguments that aren't even there. We all wish he would shoot better and agree it would bring him from a top 25 NBA player to a top 10 NBA player. Not a single sixers fan has called him a top 10 nba player but you've created the narrative that we have. He's top 25 and most people within the NBA agree on that.  The only time Giannis was mentioned was when a bucks fan kept going off on Ben's shooting percentage which was better this year than Giannis'.  Giannis is a much better player overall than Ben... but this is another narrative you've created to try to strengthen an otherwise weak point. Don't think any sixers fan has exaggerated how good Ben is, or said he's better than LeBron, luka, or giannis. He's not. 

I have read every post in this thread for 8+ years. Just because I gave up posting here and there doesn't mean I wasn't following. Feel free to go back and check my work instead of assuming. 

Go back and look at the posts about Kawhi for Simmons. Majority of the 76ers in this thread said no. Modogg, Larry and several others for a number of reasons. 

Harris's contract is Jrue Holiday's contract is Kyrie's contract etc. These are good players that aren't max players, but it is the cost of doing business in the NBA. His contract isn't even top 50 bad. 

No one said he has to be an elite shooter, but he is Tony Allen. You literally don't have to guard him outside the paint. All he needs to be a low to mid 30's shooter and be a threat and he isn't. Plus go back and read the reports there was lots of reports about Ben not taking shooting seriously over many offseasons. Giannis was also an example. It isn't the only one. See the Blake Griffin buyout a few pages back. 

You post is exactly what myself and other people are posting about. I criticize the Pistons and don't get all defensive when others do, Capella the same with the Magic, Jayrod the same with Celtics, Kev the same with Nuggets, Furley the same with the Bucks and so on, but say one bad about the 76ers and you guys get all defensive and go nuts. 

I have said my peace now. Enjoy your team. I am not going to clutter the thread anymore. 

Edited by msudaisy26
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msudaisy26 said:

I have read every post in this thread for 8+ years. Just because I gave up posting here and there doesn't mean I wasn't following. Feel free to go back and check my work instead of assuming. 

Go back and look at the posts about Kawhi for Simmons. Majority of the 76ers in this thread said no. Modogg, Larry and several others for a number of reasons. 

Harris's contract is Jrue Holiday's contract is Kyrie's contract etc. These are good players that aren't max players, but it is the cost of doing business in the NBA. His contract isn't even top 50 bad. 

No one said he has to be an elite shooter, but he is Tony Allen. You literally don't have to guard him outside the paint. All he needs to be a low to mid 30's shooter and be a threat and he isn't. Plus go back and read the reports there was lots of reports about Ben not taking shooting seriously over many offseasons. Giannis was also an example. It isn't the only one. See the Blake Griffin buyout a few pages back. 

You post is exactly what myself and other people are posting about. I criticize the Pistons and don't get all defensive when others do, Capella the same with the Magic, Jayrod the same with Celtics, Kev the same with Nuggets, Furley the same with the Bucks and so on, but say something one bad about the 76ers and you guys get all defensive and go nuts. 

I have said my peace now. Enjoy your team. I am not going to clutter the thread anymore. 

Again, who cares if they said no and were wrong?  Y'all act like it's some huge crime to have a stance on a trade. Oh no, mo and Larry said they wouldnt trade Ben for kawhi, they are deserving of everything thrown at them. *eyeroll*

If you think Harris' contract isn't bad, then I assume you'll equally go after all the non-sixers fans in here who were bashing his contract?  I'm going to assume not. His contract was ridiculed here more by non-sixers fans than sixers fans. But again, that goes against your narrative so those posts will be ignored. 

Per Ben's shooting, how many times do I have to say I agree with you before you stop trying to pretend there's a disagreement there?  We all agree that Ben needs to shoot more. But we also say he is still a top 25 player without it (the NBA players agree). What is so hard about middle ground which is normally where the truth lies?  In your minds he's either a crap player or we think he's top 10 in the league. Neither are true and your points about his shooting concerns are very valid. But doesn't knock him out of already being one of the greatest players in the league (top 5-10 percent of the league). 

"One bad thing about the Sixers" lol... yet you read every post In here for 8 years?  You say you criticize your own team and it's okay, but just brought up multiple points about us criticizing tobias' deal and thinking we should trade Ben for Paul. My god, there's no winning with you guys. Praise the team? ... we deserve to be trolled. Bash the team? ... we deserve to be trolled. Agree that ben is great but not top 10 because of shoots? ... pretend we think Ben is the best player in the league so you can argue. Your misguided narrative runs deep here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hate to always sound like the lawn guy, but the blowouts and uneveness of play is all down to lack of coaching. nobody gets sat, nobody gets told, no one's immediate future rides on what they do next. brand is respected over ball, and the years since stars started getting cover on defense/hustle since the zone, on absences & idiosyncracies since the Kawhis & Kyries were allowed to say what they did when all bled down into players being more powerful than coaches and everybody getting their props for how they were indulged more than how they were respected, and now nobody gets harshed.

i purely loved to play the game, but i also led my team in coach throwing the ball at my head and the quality of my focus forever depended on jeopardizing my status in the herd. well, there's nobody shivering at the end of the bench no more, so no need to stay widdit when it's not going your way.:shrug:

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

i've been casually watching the NBA for a long time.. maybe not as much the past couple years.. and maybe it's the get off my lawn in me, but it sometimes feels like guys/teams just stop trying in games. 

they're tired, the game feels out of hand, they are in a bad mood, whatever.  it feels like you can see guys shut it down in real time sometimes.

maybe it has always been that way :shrug: probably so. but it definitely feels, to me, like guys mail it in and games get out of hand more often today than in years past.

It's worse this year with the compressed schedule, some of the teams coming in with a very short offseason and generally the lack of parity beyond the top 6-8 teams (I think this is worse than usual this year for some reason).

Link to post
Share on other sites

i honestly think the sixers fans have destroyed this thread take that to the bank brohans 

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

hate to always sound like the lawn guy, but the blowouts and uneveness of play is all down to lack of coaching. nobody gets sat, nobody gets told, no one's immediate future rides on what they do next. brand is respected over ball, and the years since stars started getting cover on defense/hustle since the zone, on absences & idiosyncracies since the Kawhis & Kyries were allowed to say what they did when all bled down into players being more powerful than coaches and everybody getting their props for how they were indulged more than how they were respected, and now nobody gets harshed.

i purely loved to play the game, but i also led my team in coach throwing the ball at my head and the quality of my focus forever depended on jeopardizing my status in the herd. well, there's nobody shivering at the end of the bench no more, so no need to stay widdit when it's not going your way.:shrug:

I believe this is accurate.  Outside of Thibs, Spo & Pop, I can't think of any other coaches who have the cajones to put a star player in their place.  I think this is Brad Stevens greatest weakness, his niceness.  I like his even-keel demeanor, except when Tatum is chucking side step threes after wasting the last 5 seconds going nowhere.  Somebody needs to tell him to quit wasting possessions, even at the end of the quarter (if he gets the ball with less than 7 seconds in the quarter, ain't nobody else going to touch it and a long 3 is the most likely shot).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

I believe this is accurate.  Outside of Thibs, Spo & Pop, I can't think of any other coaches who have the cajones to put a star player in their place.  I think this is Brad Stevens greatest weakness, his niceness.  I like his even-keel demeanor, except when Tatum is chucking side step threes after wasting the last 5 seconds going nowhere.  Somebody needs to tell him to quit wasting possessions, even at the end of the quarter (if he gets the ball with less than 7 seconds in the quarter, ain't nobody else going to touch it and a long 3 is the most likely shot).

Stevens used his belief, willing encouragement and ability to call plays that impressed his players with their game impact to convince his team that listening to him made the best sense, but there were other things he could have done to keep his authority playing longer & stronger. he was actually ahead of the curve, like Spo, at giving players autonomy over how they developed their game and then using his strategic skills to figure out how to integrate that into the Green scheme, but he could have either made skills coaches of his own available to them or at least given them specific goals to integrate into their offseason programs.

Then the whole Kyrie sitch - inc Traitor Danny ordering a hands-off on him to enhance the Celtics chances to re-sign him - and Irving's turning the tolerance of Hayward's rehab into a race thing, blew a giant hole in Stevens status/authority with the players and the coach simply isnt fiery enough to reclaim it. You can see the infusion of new blood refreshing a lot of outlooks the last week or so but, as soon as Fournier eats into someone else's role or Tristan finds himself losing minutes to not only Timelord's rising eminence but guys named Moritz & Kornet, i fear it's back to square.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

I believe this is accurate.  Outside of Thibs, Spo & Pop, I can't think of any other coaches who have the cajones to put a star player in their place.  I think this is Brad Stevens greatest weakness, his niceness.  I like his even-keel demeanor, except when Tatum is chucking side step threes after wasting the last 5 seconds going nowhere.  Somebody needs to tell him to quit wasting possessions, even at the end of the quarter (if he gets the ball with less than 7 seconds in the quarter, ain't nobody else going to touch it and a long 3 is the most likely shot).

Rick Carlisle and maybe to a lesser extend Doc Rivers. 

It's a tough balancing act. You can't alienate your players because they hold.more ultimate control and also are generally more important to team success. And the coach also needs the reputation to have the players buy in when you are really calling them out. 

So coaches can't really come in and be the hard nosed guy because the players don't care to hear it, so we end up with a lot of players coaches because of that.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Stevens used his belief, willing encouragement and ability to call plays that impressed his players with their game impact to convince his team that listening to him made the best sense, but there were other things he could have done to keep his authority playing longer & stronger. he was actually ahead of the curve, like Spo, at giving players autonomy over how they developed their game and then using his strategic skills to figure out how to integrate that into the Green scheme, but he could have either made skills coaches of his own available to them or at least given them specific goals to integrate into their offseason programs.

Then the whole Kyrie sitch - inc Traitor Danny ordering a hands-off on him to enhance the Celtics chances to re-sign him - and Irving's turning the tolerance of Hayward's rehab into a race thing, blew a giant hole in Stevens status/authority with the players and the coach simply isnt fiery enough to reclaim it. You can see the infusion of new blood refreshing a lot of outlooks the last week or so but, as soon as Fournier eats into someone else's role or Tristan finds himself losing minutes to not only Timelord's rising eminence but guys named Moritz & Kornet, i fear it's back to square.

I feel like Spo had/has a huge advantage over Stevens in Riley.  If for some reason a player tries to cause a ruckus, Riley will surely put an end to it if they don't respond to Spoelstra.  I think Ainge not ever being in a coaching role, gaining a reputation for treating players like commodities, being perceived as an old white rich guy and also not having much respect from the players is a detriment to Stevens.  Riley can always flash his 5 rings and tell a story about how Magic and the Lakers used to do things.  That fact that "Heat culture" is a thing and has ambassadors like D-Wade make Spo's job much easier.

There are a few teams where the front office is appealing to players and few where it isn't.  Most probably fall in the middle, but I believe Boston is in the latter group and the more I think about it, the more I'd love to see Danny Ainge move on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hearing Riley's name reminds me of Jeff Pearlman talking about how Riley got the Lakers HC job in the first place

Tark was supposed to get it. had an agreement in place. got the rug pulled out from under him and they instead hired a guy who got in to a terrible bike accident resulting in serious brain trauma a couple weeks after taking the job.  Paul Westhead took over as interim, the other guy never recovered, Westhead won the title and then wore out his welcome pretty quickly... leading to Riley in charge, running what was originally not even his system of basketball but he rode with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deamon said:

 

The ref thing I agree with you, modogg does bring them up a lot and maybe too much. 

 

the sports i focused on when i was able to run around a lot more, were football, rugby and some boxing. So i am guessing my thoughts on the refs and craziness is probably pretty biased. I know Frosty LOVES when we talk about the refs in here, but i did some thinking and think i have slowed it down a bit. 

to add, Embiid is nearing Harden level with his trying to draw fouls. He does get fouled quite a bit, but he is top 2-3 in giving a good yell or small time flop to try and make sure he draws a foul. Good or bad, it is becoming a trademark n the NBA these days

Edited by modogg
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, modogg said:

the sports i focused on when i was able to run around a lot more, were football, rugby and some boxing. So i am guessing my thoughts on the refs and craziness is probably pretty biased. I know Frosty LOVES when we talk about the refs in here, but i did some thinking and think i have slowed it down a bit. 

to add, Embiid is nearing Harden level with his trying to draw fouls. He does get fouled quite a bit, but he is top 2-3 in giving a good yell or small time flop to try and make sure he draws a foul. Good or bad, it is becoming a trademark n the NBA these days

Pretty clearly this is all bad.  It is only done because it is effective, but it sucks for everyone involved and is not really basketball.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

hearing Riley's name reminds me of Jeff Pearlman talking about how Riley got the Lakers HC job in the first place

Tark was supposed to get it. had an agreement in place. got the rug pulled out from under him and they instead hired a guy who got in to a terrible bike accident resulting in serious brain trauma a couple weeks after taking the job.  Paul Westhead took over as interim, the other guy never recovered, Westhead won the title and then wore out his welcome pretty quickly... leading to Riley in charge, running what was originally not even his system of basketball but he rode with it.

The other guy was Jack McKinney. Riley was Chick Hern's color commentator on the simulcasts at the time, then got an assistant coaching gig when Westhead became HC. A pretty crazy career path.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SWC said:

i honestly think the sixers fans have destroyed this thread take that to the bank brohans 

Then stop trolling us and maybe you'll get less replies on the sixers.   Hmm what a thought. 

But then you wouldn't get your cute little squad rushing to like all your posts.  So quite the conundrum for you. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jayrod said:

Celtics once again teasing with a couple of wins and looking good on both ends vs. the lowly Hornets yesterday for a 30 pt win.

  • Robert Williams should be the starting center going forward if he stays healthy.  His mistakes are no longer a net negative against his positive impact.  He needs to learn how to go against the #1s night in and night out and his play will set the Celtics ceiling this season, but they need his defense.
  • Romeo Langford finally hit the floor again last night and looked good in very limited time (he hadn't played since the bubble).  He hit a nice three, had a great block and had a couple of other good defensive possessions, but it was a small sample size and the whole team was rolling.
  • Pritchard/Fornier are a nice tandem off the bench.
  • Smart is still not playing his best basketball.
  • Walker still isn't the all-NBA player he was in Charlotte, but he seems to be steadying his play more.
  • Tatum and Brown are still great, but Tatum still takes stupid shots and Brown still loses focus and fumbles the ball at times.

They have the talent and the health now to push for the 4 seed.  I think they will land there and win a home playoff series.  The only way they win a second round series is if their opponent gets hit with injuries.  I just don't think they can beat MIL, PHI or BRK in a series if their key players are all playing.

Plopped some money on them +1200 to win the East. 

That and the Heat +1400 are tough to pass on.

And we all know why..

Time. Lord

He's arrived.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I just went back and looked - nobody in here posted anything about Westbrook's 35, 21, 14, triple double last week. On the one hand, what the hell are we doing in here to gloss over something like that? On the other, at least we're not Stephen A. Smith.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Then stop trolling us and maybe you'll get less replies on the sixers.   Hmm what a thought. 

But then you wouldn't get your cute little squad rushing to like all your posts.  So quite the conundrum for you. 

the Sixers posts go back much, much further than any complaints about 90% of the posts here being about the Sixers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Man, I just went back and looked - nobody in here posted anything about Westbrook's 35, 21, 14, triple double last week. On the one hand, what the hell are we doing in here to gloss over something like that? On the other, at least we're not Stephen A. Smith.

People too busy trolling and talking about sixers fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mr. furley said:

the Sixers posts go back much, much further than any complaints about 90% of the posts here being about the Sixers.

A poster legit just complained about Sixers fans Undervaluing Ben, and also about them Overvaluing Ben.  I get that arguing is fun for many of you people, but I'm willing to bet that our thoughts on Ben are all pretty much the same (outside of the trolling).  He's great, an all-star, but lacks a big portion of his game that could make him elite. 

Being a great player in the league is not as binary as people love to make it.  I make a modest post that he is great and agree with his shot being an issue, and it just gets glazed over.  But any time we might have an opinion that he is better/worse than exactly what you think, it's suddenly a "you guys deserve to be trolled for being wrong about your player".

Give it a rest.  Trolling and fishing to get a reaction, and then posting that said reaction is 'ruining the thread' is absurd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Plopped some money on them +1200 to win the East. 

That and the Heat +1400 are tough to pass on.

And we all know why..

Time. Lord

He's arrived.

I do believe they have a puncher's chance thanks to the emergence of a possibly legit big.

Path is basically:

  1. Land the 4 seed
  2. Beat the 5 seed in 5-6 games
  3. Face MIL without Giannis or PHI without Embiid and win in 6 games
  4. After the Nets win a hard fought 7 game series, get a win in game 1 and then hold serve at home to win the ECF

Not impossible at all.  They've gotten through step 3 a few times already.  I consider it at least as likely as the Heat run to the Finals last season or the Raptors run to the championship 2 years ago.

Edited by Jayrod
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Man, I just went back and looked - nobody in here posted anything about Westbrook's 35, 21, 14, triple double last week. On the one hand, what the hell are we doing in here to gloss over something like that? On the other, at least we're not Stephen A. Smith.

mostly cuz, 4 days before, he went 3-15, 7-12 free throws, with 8 turnovers, and i have no doubt Russ cant see a significant enough difference between the two to modify what he did in either game.

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Then stop trolling us and maybe you'll get less replies on the sixers.   Hmm what a thought. 

But then you wouldn't get your cute little squad rushing to like all your posts.  So quite the conundrum for you. 

One last time. Drop the trolling insults. Keep it 100% on the topic. 

If you don't think you're trolling or ruining real discussion, then find a new board. We're getting tired of people reporting you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

mostly cuz, 4 days before, he went 3-15, 7-12 free throws, with 8 turnovers, and i have no doubt Russ cant see a significant enough difference between the two to modify what he did in either game.

When he is hitting his shots, he gets energized and he's nigh unstoppable with his athleticism and aggressive style.

But when he's not.....like wikkid says, he just keeps shooting and throwing passes off the walls like he is.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

When he is hitting his shots, he gets energized and he's nigh unstoppable with his athleticism and aggressive style.

But when he's not.....like wikkid says, he just keeps shooting and throwing passes off the walls like he is.

Yep.  Not to mention we all know where all this 'production' eventually leads to - more losses

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mr. furley said:

hearing Riley's name reminds me of Jeff Pearlman talking about how Riley got the Lakers HC job in the first place

Tark was supposed to get it. had an agreement in place. got the rug pulled out from under him and they instead hired a guy who got in to a terrible bike accident resulting in serious brain trauma a couple weeks after taking the job.  Paul Westhead took over as interim, the other guy never recovered, Westhead won the title and then wore out his welcome pretty quickly... leading to Riley in charge, running what was originally not even his system of basketball but he rode with it.

Also, Buss initially tried to install Jerry West as coach and Riley as his assistant, but West declined and sort of said he'd be an assistant to Riley.  Shortly after that, West basically stepped away from the bench altogether and it was entirely Riley's show.

Edited by The Kansas Comet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

When he is hitting his shots, he gets energized and he's nigh unstoppable with his athleticism and aggressive style.

But when he's not.....like wikkid says, he just keeps shooting and throwing passes off the walls like he is.

 

17 minutes ago, Major said:

Yep.  Not to mention we all know where all this 'production' eventually leads to - more losses

double yep. Russ has become constitutionally incapable of tailoring his game into creating wins on either a micro or macro level. he then simply cant be on a team trying to win games, even though his skills are such that he is one of the few who can actually keep a team in a position to win singlehandedly

Link to post
Share on other sites

not watching as much Westbrook as some of you apparently do, i still find his fascinating.

there likely won't ever be a player like him in the NBA ever again. he plays 1000000% all the time. full go. yeah, he can be reckless and a volume shooter (of bad shots), but he's also capable of ridiculous positive outbursts that get written off as selfishness.

i dunno. polarizing player. 

doesn't really seem to be a "system" he can fit in to other than Loyola Marymount circa 1989.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

not watching as much Westbrook as some of you apparently do, i still find his fascinating.

there likely won't ever be a player like him in the NBA ever again. he plays 1000000% all the time. full go. yeah, he can be reckless and a volume shooter (of bad shots), but he's also capable of ridiculous positive outbursts that get written off as selfishness.

i dunno. polarizing player. 

doesn't really seem to be a "system" he can fit in to other than Loyola Marymount circa 1989.

2021 Westbrook could certainly fit into a system, as long as that system has a lot of shooting around him and it's specifically tailored for him. The problem is he's not good enough to make that worthwhile. 

On the whole, he's a very good player (and was great a few years back), but his weaknesses (mostly notably he's a horrendous jump shooter that doesn't seem to realize it),  get magnified so easily that his positive contributions get overshadowed by the weaknesses. When he was the best athlete in the NBA, it didn't matter as much, but now teams are guarding him with a big and just daring him to shoot because he can't attack the rim in quite the same way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

Man, I just went back and looked - nobody in here posted anything about Westbrook's 35, 21, 14, triple double last week. On the one hand, what the hell are we doing in here to gloss over something like that? On the other, at least we're not Stephen A. Smith.

It is because he is Westbrook and a lot of people dislike him. People think he  just wants his stats. I think he is fun to watch play, he goes 100 mph at all times and gives great effort. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kodycutter said:

wowzer, they had him on a lot too.  I am sure he will be fine, and find a gig for tons of competing sports medias out there. 

on the other hand, it is siple for ESPN to get a hold of any other former NBA player and get the on for some hot takes too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, i didn't realize how good Time Lord was at.......... fouling :stirspot:

Cue the posts with SImmons going 0-4 from FT line :kicksrock:.

As a Sixers fan i don't care if he ends 0-10, an aggressive Ben is the kind of Ben every sixers fan wants

ETA1: i will try to avoid multiple posts here tonight. I do apprecaite the Boston gameplan with Embiid and the Sixers tonight. they know Embiid will draw fouls, so they are just hacking like champs tonight and at least earning most of these fouls. 

Edited by modogg
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Man who claims to not watch the NBA at all somehow able to recite last 3 years of NBA ratings at command

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...