What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (4 Viewers)

Yeah, not to burst anyone’s bubble but most people that say or think they need to lose 10 pounds really need to lose 30.  I think when I lost before and got down to 158 that it sounded insane but it was probably a healthy weight.
Sure...I think my "healthy weight" even is still a bit high...but I have to also work on what is sustainable for me.

If you just look at generic height to what healthy weight range is, based on BMI..a 6ft male normal would be between 137-183.  Now...I think I would look like I was about to blow away if I ever got to 137.  But yeah, that 180ish is doable (especially if I still have these tree trunk thighs...helps for squats, not so much making all pants fit just right.

Took my 1-year old for one of Fred's shuffles at 6am. Tried a slightly different route with only 85 feet off elevation gain. Average heart rate was 137, average pace was 16+ minutes. That's not going to work. I can literally walk faster. I can go a bit harder while still keeping my heart rate in zone 3, so I'll try doing this MAF and dialing it in some more, but it won't be every run. 

I'm loathe to throw out a new idea after trying it only once or twice, so while the rest of the house napped I went outside and shuffled my way up the hill by our house. I went up/down four times. It's about 1/4 mile up and about 75 feet in elevation change. First time I walked at 105 BPM and 16min/m. Then I shuffled up 3x each about 145 BPM and maybe slightly faster than 16min/m. No real point to this post other than to say I'm not going to give up on the MAF shuffle, especially since I think running a bit slower will help improve my aerobic fitness. But I'll do it selectively and still do some regular runs where my heart rate is probably too high but I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. 

And Fred, thanks for the tips and encouragement. Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my 1-year old for one of Fred's shuffles at 6am. Tried a slightly different route with only 85 feet off elevation gain. Average heart rate was 137, average pace was 16+ minutes. That's not going to work. I can literally walk faster. I can go a bit harder while still keeping my heart rate in zone 3, so I'll try doing this MAF and dialing it in some more, but it won't be every run. 
Your running goals are vastly different than mine, but MAF does not need to be an every workout sorta thing. If you want to push it one day then go nuts. Mixing them into the routine is necessary to not hit a plateau though. You can't do every workout in the 160's but to combat you don't have to do every workout in the 130's. A balance of both works.

The exact MAF HR depends on the individual but to progress you need workouts around that 140 number. At first you'll need to run-walk alternate, but eventually you won't need to walk. Gotta be patient, but that patience will eventually be rewarded. 

I'm loathe to throw out a new idea after trying it only once or twice, so while the rest of the house napped I went outside and shuffled my way up the hill by our house. I went up/down four times. It's about 1/4 mile up and about 75 feet in elevation change. First time I walked at 105 BPM and 16min/m. Then I shuffled up 3x each about 145 BPM and maybe slightly faster than 16min/m. No real point to this post other than to say I'm not going to give up on the MAF shuffle, especially since I think running a bit slower will help improve my aerobic fitness. But I'll do it selectively and still do some regular runs where my heart rate is probably too high but I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. 

And Fred, thanks for the tips and encouragement. Much appreciated!
When I first started MAF, I would run at the track. I would spend the entire extremely slow run explaining to everyone who passed me(in my head), why I was running so slow.

It didn’t take long to increase to a less geriatric pace, and I believe that it was beneficial in the long run.

But yes, it really sucks at the beginning.

My guess is that you will try this, then post that you hated your first run doing thi and felt ridiculous going so slow because surely you can run faster than this, then get encouragement from other guys who have done this, try it again and maybe see why so many people recommend it.
So really it's just that last bit left

My guess is that you will try this, then post that you hated your first run doing thi and felt ridiculous going so slow because surely you can run faster than this, then get encouragement from other guys who have done this, try it again and maybe see why so many people recommend it.
So really it's just that last bit left
7 stages of grief, 3 stages of MAF... 

There is some denial, anger, and hopefully acceptance in this MAF thing too. 

I'm loathe to throw out a new idea after trying it only once or twice, so while the rest of the house napped I went outside and shuffled my way up the hill by our house.
With all this shuffling I'm at 25k steps today. Haven't moved a whole lot further than normal, just took 3x as many steps to get there. 😆

I am actually really looking forward to getting outside at 6am with my one year old the next couple of mornings since the weather is really nice. So I'll do some MAF with the kid in the stroller this week. Might be another month before it's warm enough to do that on a regular basis, so I'm not at all upset about getting up so early (I say that now). 

109g protein

39g fiber

3867mg sodium which is horrible for the second day in a row

Kid's birthday today. Dunkin for breakfast, my second time there since March 2020.  Had my old coffee and power breakfast sandwich, realized that I've outgrown this except for special occasions.  The coffee and egg sandwich I make at home are as good, less expensive and healthier, but the change was nice. 

Pizza party. Two big slices. And cake.  And some cookie, and a random reeses mini peanut butter cup.  

But I came home, did my long run and a little core yoga, had some shrimp and vegetables for dinner and a bowl of berries for dessert and ended up with 81 calories to spare.

I'll need to watch my sodium the next few days and I'm sure my weight will be up until I flush all this yuck out but I feel like I survived this weekend pretty well.  It would have been really easy to just take a cheat day but I didn't deprive myself, didn't spend an absurd amount of time exercising, and stayed under calories both days while having an awesome time with my kid and my family and participating in all the big food events that could have derailed me. If this were a month from now I might have had a couple drinks or a third slice of pizza but I really didn't miss it and I had way too much junk as it is. All in all a pretty good day.

Managed to get Mexican takeout in a healthy way not even getting fajitas.  Well mostly because i added things from home (had leftover black beans from last night’s dinner...and made a quick cup of riced cauliflower which is so useful really).   Had those things with some grilled chicken and onions (it was served on top of rice that is covered in cheese sauce...saved that roce to use as a side dish for the kids later in the week.  It was a thin butterflied chicken breast and I saved half of it to have in a whole wheat pita for lunch tomorrow with some avocado, salsa from the restaurant and a few onions i saved too. 

I avoided the chips and cheese dip.

My snack tonight was a tasty treat.  A scoop of purity light ice cream (its a no sugar added half the fat...100 calories for a small scoop...) and I added some fresh blueberries and raspberries.  

FBG26 said:
Took my 1-year old for one of Fred's shuffles at 6am. Tried a slightly different route with only 85 feet off elevation gain. Average heart rate was 137, average pace was 16+ minutes.
Did this again this morning. Average heart rate was 140 BPM and I spent 84% of the time in zone 3.  Post run weigh-in (unofficial) was 209.4.

Don't tell Fred but I don't mind shuffling too much in the morning when it's just me, the kiddo, and the birds. Going slow and taking in the sights and sounds isn't so bad. 

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 6          195.9                -30.2                                         1450
  • Mar 7          196.2                -29.9                                         1650
  • Mar 8          195.1                -31.0

bostonfred said:
On 3/6/2021 at 11:36 PM, Corporation said:
Somebody mentioned their fancy scale, so I actually hit the button that shows some of the other data.  One of the items was I believe the BMR that @bostonfredhas talked about. Mine says 2852.5 kcal.  Does that mean I could eat 2852 of calories at my current activity level and be "even" for the day?  That sounds really high.  6'0 196 lbs. 

My scale also mocked me by saying I have low muscle mass, but it also said I had normal body fat %. To be fair I was only a few tenths of a percentage point away in the muscle mass but it was still hurtful :)  I haven't been able to do any kind of workout activity due to my shoulder.  I can ride my spin bike, but any other type of activity ends up aggravating my shoulder.  Supposed to go to Dr. Andrew's clinic and get another opinion on the partial tear in my rotator cuff.
Expand  
BMR is basal metabolic rate, its what you would burn without getting out of bed or lifting finger.  This is mostly based on your weight and lean muscle mass.

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure and it's what you can eat and be "even" for the day like you said. TDEE is BMR plus some other stuff, mostly your exercise and non exercise calories burned but also the energy spent just digesting your food. Myfitnesspal estimates your TDEE based on your age, weight and your description of your activity level, like are you active at work or sedentary.  A nutritionist can give you a better estimate. 

Your calorie goal is how much you should eat to achieve your weight goals.  If youre trying to lose 2 lbs per week, you need to cut about 7000 calories because losing one pound takes a caloric deficit of about 3500 calories. 7000 calories in 7 days means you need to be about 1000 calories below your TDEE every day.

If your BMR is about 2852 then your TDEE is a lot higher and that does seem wrong to me.  My scale says my BMR is around 1900, and that's pretty consistent with my TDEE estimate.  You've got months of data showing that the estimated TDEE is pretty accurate, I'd ignore this if it were me.
Oh yeah, I'm not planning on altering what I'm doing, just wanted to verify that was the same BMR you were talking about. I clicked on report in the app and it gave the same description you did.  Really just wanted to point out that these scales are probably not super accurate on things other than weight, there's no way my BMR is that high. I did go back and looked at my highest weight, and the BMR for that day was almost 3100 calories. I wonder if there is some setting in there that is causing that to be inflated, like if I said I was moderately active instead of the sedentary, I'll try to check.

@Corporation, my inspiration.

Been doing pretty well.  I haven't cheated on the diet.  Staying pretty carb free (other than the booze) and laying off the empty snacks.  Signed up for Green Chef's keto/paleo meal kit today for 3 meals per week so looking forward to some different recipes to try.  Been crushing the exercise with something every day.  Sometimes two workouts a day.

2/8 - 225.4

2/15 - 221.2

2/22 - 217.8

2/24 - 217.0

3/5 - 216.4

3/6 - 214.6 (I hadn't eaten anything yet and ran about 5 miles so this felt like cheating a little, but it was nice to be under 215.) 

Over 10 pounds a month works for me. 

@Corporation, my inspiration.

Been doing pretty well.  I haven't cheated on the diet.  Staying pretty carb free (other than the booze) and laying off the empty snacks.  Signed up for Green Chef's keto/paleo meal kit today for 3 meals per week so looking forward to some different recipes to try.  Been crushing the exercise with something every day.  Sometimes two workouts a day.

2/8 - 225.4

2/15 - 221.2

2/22 - 217.8

2/24 - 217.0

3/5 - 216.4

3/6 - 214.6 (I hadn't eaten anything yet and ran about 5 miles so this felt like cheating a little, but it was nice to be under 215.) 

Over 10 pounds a month works for me. 
Awesome progress, keep it up!  People are crushing it in here, the community accountability and support aspect was really beneficial for me and I'm sure others.

I always talk about how important it is to get back on track as soon as possible after a cheat day.  I didn't go over calories this weekend and I did a lot of exercise but I ate junk with my kid and not surprisingly I'm tempted by all the leftovers today.

I've mostly been good - I had half a cookie- but I've eaten more than usual by this point in the day and will need to exercise just to break even.  It didn't help that the scale is still high from all the sodium and I'm probably thirsty and bouncing back from empty carbs yesterday so I feel hungrier. But I know all of this and I know where it's coming from, so I should be able to drink some extra water, do a little yoga and/or some treadmill and finish with something healthier.

This is part of the skill of losing weight - recognizing the fake hunger and knowing how to stay under calories the next day.  It's not something I was good at right away and I've definitely screwed up on it plenty but it's a learnable skill like anything else.  

Small update, haven't been following here but did start Greg Nuckols SBS Hypertrophy x5 program and have been enjoying it.  

I've been trying to eat a little cleaner this feb/mar rather than dirty bulking and I like the results.  Going to try and mini-cut every 7th week.

Currently at my lowest March weight in 6 years.  Not at my strongest, but that will come back.  Still feeling out what my ideal weight really is, I was of the opinion 175 looked best on me now I'm going to try on 165 for a bit I think.  

Not really watching calories but counting protein.  

Wife took the kid for a ride and left me with a couple hours to burn off the weekend's malfeasance. Lifted. 50 min MAF shuffle at 5.3mph. 15 minutes rowing. 22 minutes hard yoga practice for the core. 20 min walk at 3mph for warm up and cool down.  Ending the day with a couple hundred calories to spare and had solid protein and fiber numbers. Sodium down but still need to have a couple good days. Tons of water. Sleep early.  

Yeah, not to burst anyone’s bubble but most people that say or think they need to lose 10 pounds really need to lose 30.  I think when I lost before and got down to 158 that it sounded insane but it was probably a healthy weight.
This.  I’m 7 pounds lighter now than at any time in the last 30 years. Thought I looked great at 204. Now I’m 197 vs my roving 210-220 the past few decades and I know there is more I need to lose. To be fair I was lifting more when I go to 204. Lots of core, kettle bells etc so maybe just felt tighter. But 190 is a no brainer. Maybe need to get in 180’s. 

hehe I'm rubbing off on Fred. But he's way faster than me so I wouldn't call that a shuffle. :)  
I'm not much faster but I can run a little faster and farther without my heart rate going up because I've trained my aerobic threshold. Stick with it and you'll see improvements too although if you're pushing a kid up hills it might take a little longer. 

After one week, 266.6 down 8.6 to an even 258 lbs.

I wanted to see how I reacted to smaller changes as opposed to insane restrictions that I won't stick to long term.  Not a bad start considering. 

Rules I gave myself and believe I can stick to long term.

1.  No soda.  At some point last year, I decided that drinking 2 regular sodas a week would be healthier than drinking 7-10 diet sodas a week.  I still believe that, HOWEVER, I slowly built back to 7-10 per week, but not diet anymore.  I am convinced this was the biggest factor in gaining back more than I had lost.  So, no soda.  no diet.  No regular.  NONE.

2.  Don't drink the calories.  I already drink my coffee black.  I won't drink juices or other calorie laden drinks at all.  I am not a big drinker, so that's not a big deal.  If I do have a beer, it will be on a Sunday. (see below)

3.  No eating after 6:30PM.  Dinner is the same thing we were eating before, but in smaller portions.  We pretty much eat dinner when I get home from work about 5:30.  6:30 gives a little leeway.  I'd say snacks before bed was my second biggest mistake after soda.

4.  Replace most of the old breakfast and lunches during the work week (fast food lunches, brought lunches and breakfasts, etc.) with the nutrisystem meals I already have.  I figure this will reduce the calorie count by an average of 1000 per day for combined breakfast and lunch.  Breakfast no earlier than 10AM.

5.  At least 5 servings of vegetables every day.  Its likely more, but I think 5 is a good goal.

6.  Saturdays are not going to be quite as strict with breakfast and lunch replacement, but still smaller portions than what I used to eat.  Minimize snacks to fruits or nuts.

7.  Sundays are "normal" days.  I don't want to worry too much, but will stick to the time frame rules of eating only 10AM - 6:30PM.

So, that's it.  I feel confident I can stick to this, and really, isn't that what really works in the long run?  If I plateau, it also gives me some leeway to tighten up the rules for a couple weeks to break through it.  Long term, slow, sustainable weight loss is what I am going for here.  

Nice work @Caesar

Sounds like you've doing intermittent fasting with a few healthy changes. 

One thing to consider is whether you're likely to stick with intermittent fasting after you have lost your weight and are in maintenance mode. Is this a diet or a lifestyle change?  

I've done 5 of these MAF shuffles now. Yesterday I did two in a day since it's just so nice outside that I feel like I'm wasting a good day if I don't do something outside. I'll never admit this is public, but this is a safe space, right? I think it's actually working...

First time was pushing the kiddo in the stroller. 2.66 mile route took 42:46 and 139 BPM. 

This morning pushing the kiddo again, same route. 39:42 with 140 BPM. 

Yesterday I did my typical 5k route (sans kid) that I would typically do in 33 minutes and 167 BPM. Doing the shuffle it took 47:15 with 147 BPM. I had to start walking periodically around 2.25 miles to keep the heart rate down. I was bummed because I was going downhill at that point and couldn't keep my heart rate up no matter how slow I went. I guess that just tells me where my fitness is. But, the good news is, I would normally spend 75% (or more) of that run with my heart rate in zone 5. This time, I was in zone 3 about 50% of the time and zone 4 about 50% of the time (and most of that came at the end when I was having a hard time keeping the HR down even though I felt great). 

On the weight front: 

I was 212 on Valentines Day, gained some weight up to 214 on 2/23, and was probably 215 on 2/28. My official weight on 3/2 for the start of my March challenge was 210.6, but that was the day after being sick.

I was 211 this morning before going my MAF shuffle. That's technically higher than my initial weigh-in for the month and I am trying not to get too disappointed. I've done well on the calorie front so I should be down. And I think I actually am, it's just being sick threw off my numbers. Worst case, I'm steady. But I'm very motivated to get below 210 and stay there. Soon! 

Nice work @Caesar

Sounds like you've doing intermittent fasting with a few healthy changes. 

One thing to consider is whether you're likely to stick with intermittent fasting after you have lost your weight and are in maintenance mode. Is this a diet or a lifestyle change?  
This is a good question I will have to think about.  I don't even see myself thinking about maintenance until I am under 200 lbs, which I can't even fathom right now.  It has been so long.

But I have to say, if it works, and its sustainable, then why change it?

This is a good question I will have to think about.  I don't even see myself thinking about maintenance until I am under 200 lbs, which I can't even fathom right now.  It has been so long.

That is a great mindset.  Make a long term plan but focus on the short term steps now.   Win most days.  Worry about the maintenance when you get close to that phase.  

Sustainable does mean that you can stick with it for the next few months or longer that it will take you to reach your goals, and obviously that's important. But you also want to make sure that you're developing habits that will help when you get to maintenance, or you'll be likely to go back to your old bad habits and watch your weight creep back.

One sustainable option for maintenance is to just accept that, and go back on the diet whenever your weight hits a certain point. But it helps to have good habits in place so you don't have to do it as often. 

Intermittent fasting works for some people long term and in maintenance so this isn't about changing your mind now.  Do what works for you. Just try to learn more about your body and your health as you go. For me, tracking calories, and exercise, and then protein, and fiber, and now sodium... all of those things are improving my overall health. You seem to be shortcutting that with nutrisystem meals for now but that sounds like you're just doing it temporarily until you've used them up so then you'll have to find some other foods that meet those goals. 

Another thing I'd mention- since you're planning on losing a lot of weight, you might want to split it up into chunks.  Lose 30 or 40, then maintain it for a few months.  It's helpful because it gives you a shorter term goal and some light at the end of the tunnel, and also because you have to learn how to maintain or youll have to lose weight you've already lost again, like you are right now.  But the other big thing is that you'll probably get loose skin from adding and losing weight so quickly.  You might benefit from giving your skin time to adjust to your new size. It seems to have helped for me. I lost almost 40, then maintained, then lost some more and maintained (and put some back) and now I'm at it again.  I'm planning to stop again for a while before making my last push because once that loose skin becomes an issue it doesn't really go away without expensive surgery that insurance doesn't cover. 

Just my .02.. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

I've done 5 of these MAF shuffles now. Yesterday I did two in a day since it's just so nice outside that I feel like I'm wasting a good day if I don't do something outside. I'll never admit this is public, but this is a safe space, right? I think it's actually working...

First time was pushing the kiddo in the stroller. 2.66 mile route took 42:46 and 139 BPM. 

This morning pushing the kiddo again, same route. 39:42 with 140 BPM. 

Yesterday I did my typical 5k route (sans kid) that I would typically do in 33 minutes and 167 BPM. Doing the shuffle it took 47:15 with 147 BPM. I had to start walking periodically around 2.25 miles to keep the heart rate down. I was bummed because I was going downhill at that point and couldn't keep my heart rate up no matter how slow I went. I guess that just tells me where my fitness is. But, the good news is, I would normally spend 75% (or more) of that run with my heart rate in zone 5. This time, I was in zone 3 about 50% of the time and zone 4 about 50% of the time (and most of that came at the end when I was having a hard time keeping the HR down even though I felt great). 
https://youtu.be/NHDf7EHhYFg

What you're calling zone 3 doesn't mean you're 100 percent aerobic or anaerobic. Running a 5k race as fast as you can, you're going to use a lot of aerobic fitness to keep moving and a lot of anaerobic to keep moving as fast as you want. Shuffling isn't 100 percent aerobic either, but it's mostly aerobic. If you creep up to 147 heart rate you're probably using a lot more anaerobic than at 135 to 140, just like when you accelerate past a certain speed in your car your gas milage goes to crap.  But you've still gotten some good training in that lower heart rate zone.  I don't know the science behind it but I dont mind finishing strong instead of walking down that hill at the end of your run.  It seems like a fair compromise. Or maybe the better option might be to try slowing down before the downhill because you know it's coming. I don't know because I am not a doctor. And this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

Missed a workout yesterday...but made up for that then and some today as Ive dug around in the yard and built a paver base up for a portable basketball hoop which I am about to start assembling.  Did get in 5 miles walking yesterday...3 walk and 3 miles running today.

Running coming around slowly but taking it slow on purpose to not reaggravate the achilles.

Sustainable does mean that you can stick with it for the next few months or longer that it will take you to reach your goals, and obviously that's important. But you also want to make sure that you're developing habits that will help when you get to maintenance, or you'll be likely to go back to your old bad habits and watch your weight creep back.

One sustainable option for maintenance is to just accept that, and go back on the diet whenever your weight hits a certain point. But it helps to have good habits in place so you don't have to do it as often. 

Intermittent fasting works for some people long term and in maintenance so this isn't about changing your mind now.  Do what works for you. Just try to learn more about your body and your health as you go. For me, tracking calories, and exercise, and then protein, and fiber, and now sodium... all of those things are improving my overall health. You seem to be shortcutting that with nutrisystem meals for now but that sounds like you're just doing it temporarily until you've used them up so then you'll have to find some other foods that meet those goals. 

Another thing I'd mention- since you're planning on losing a lot of weight, you might want to split it up into chunks.  Lose 30 or 40, then maintain it for a few months.  It's helpful because it gives you a shorter term goal and some light at the end of the tunnel, and also because you have to learn how to maintain or youll have to lose weight you've already lost again, like you are right now.  But the other big thing is that you'll probably get loose skin from adding and losing weight so quickly.  You might benefit from giving your skin time to adjust to your new size. It seems to have helped for me. I lost almost 40, then maintained, then lost some more and maintained (and put some back) and now I'm at it again.  I'm planning to stop again for a while before making my last push because once that loose skin becomes an issue it doesn't really go away without expensive surgery that insurance doesn't cover. 

Just my .02.. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 
Good stuff here.  I definitely want to get rid of the nutrisystem meals that I have.  The good thing about only using them for the work week is that they will last a bit longer for this plan.  After they are all gone, I am pretty well versed in keto type meal prep, so I will go to something like that and portion things out for each meal.  Same idea, but ultimately a little more work, and a lot cheaper.  

As for losing a lot of weight, I think this will be slow enough after the first couple weeks where that shouldn't be a problem for me.  I am fat, but I am not saggy fat.  I am more solid fat.   Most people would not guess I weigh 258.  I don't want to offend anyone with that, but we all have different body types.  I carry a lot in my lower body.  Big upper and lower legs, and I tend to lose weight pretty proportionately.  

Still, the idea of learning to maintain is a very good one I will have to consider.

Finishing today with 1498 calories, no real exercise.  Rest day after 3 straight days of higher calories higher sodium and tons of exercise.  I didn't need the rest for my muscles as much as I wanted to reset my metabolism because I felt like i was reaching for snacks more than I should. Carb cravings and bad habits.  Hopefully I've reset for now. 

25 days to Easter 

After the walking and running today.  Spent the afternoon putting  together a “portable “ basketball hoop.  That was a workout on its own.

Looking forward to shooting around a bit with my kids. (did a little but with my daughter who has never been interested in sports but she had fun).

Finishing today with 1498 calories, no real exercise.  Rest day after 3 straight days of higher calories higher sodium and tons of exercise.  I didn't need the rest for my muscles as much as I wanted to reset my metabolism because I felt like i was reaching for snacks more than I should. Carb cravings and bad habits.  Hopefully I've reset for now. 

25 days to Easter 
Drank a ton of water. Woke up hungry. That should be a good sign. Sometimes after my body gets used to eating more and burning it off a day like this helps shake things up. 

Allergy season has hit a little early here in Georgia - I feel lousy.  Worked in the yard a lot on Sunday and felt like crap the last two days.  Been 197.0 for 3 of the last 4 days so hoping no more 2xx.  Won’t be doing anything other than drinking fluids, work and resting until I feel better.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 6          195.9                -30.2                                         1450
  • Mar 7          196.2                -29.9                                         1650
  • Mar 8          195.1                -31.0                                         1480
  • Mar 9          195.5                -30.6                                         1670
  • Mar 10        195.1                -31.0
This week has been a little off.  I'm meeting each of my directs at work for lunch to go over performance reviews, and let them pick the place.  Oddly, no one has selected Chipotle or Chickfila for their lunch :)  Still doing fine on calories but have 2 more lunches this week.  Today's lunch will probably be the hardest as the place we are going to has the best lobster and crab bisque soup, and I have no idea how many calories are in that.

FBG26 said:
On the weight front: 

I was 212 on Valentines Day, gained some weight up to 214 on 2/23, and was probably 215 on 2/28. My official weight on 3/2 for the start of my March challenge was 210.6, but that was the day after being sick.

I was 211 this morning before going my MAF shuffle. That's technically higher than my initial weigh-in for the month and I am trying not to get too disappointed. I've done well on the calorie front so I should be down. And I think I actually am, it's just being sick threw off my numbers. Worst case, I'm steady. But I'm very motivated to get below 210 and stay there. Soon! 
I've found that sometimes when you are pretty highly active, you are replacing your fat loss with muscle mass, which of course weighs more.  Illness and injury can always upset the flow. Keep the course, you are doing well!

Allergy season has hit a little early here in Georgia - I feel lousy.  Worked in the yard a lot on Sunday and felt like crap the last two days.  Been 197.0 for 3 of the last 4 days so hoping no more 2xx.  Won’t be doing anything other than drinking fluids, work and resting until I feel better.
I feel you brother, the same here in Alabama.  Waves of pollen just falling from the trees.  But I'll take that tradeoff since we get the warmer weather and I can get outside and get active. I saw on Facebook the 12 seasons of Alabama:

1. Winter
  2. Fool's Spring
  3. Second Winter
  4. Spring of Deception
  5. Third Winter
  6. The Pollening (We are here)
  7. Actual Spring
  8. Summer
  9. Hell's Front Porch
  10. False Fall
  11. Second Summer
  12. Actual Fall

Came back from my rest day and did a 40 minute MAF shuffle with 15 min more of walking. Ate some junk again but stayed under calories and did decent on fiber and sodium. Protein should have been better but I didn't lift.  Weight is still up from the weekend but has been gradually coming back down.  24 days to Easter and it can't come soon enough. I'm definitely burning out.

• Jan 1 - 214.0
  • Jan 8 - 211.4
  • Jan 15 - 207.2
  • Jan 22 - 207.6
  • Jan 29 - 207.2
  • Feb 5 - 205.6
  • Feb 12 - 204.4
  • Feb 19 - 203.8
  • Feb 26 - 202.0
  • Mar 5 - 201.2
Didn't check in last week. But cheated today and saw a number that started with a 1 today for the first time in about 7 or 8 months. Decided to go run this morning before the rain comes in but forgot to step on the scales when I first got up. So ate breakfast, ran a 10k, stretched, showered, and then stepped on the scale before getting some water, etc. 199.0 today. It won't stay but was kind of fun to see, if only for a fleeting moment! Considering it hasn't been a great week of eating for me, real number is not much less than the check in last week. 

The past two days I have gone hard on the bike and loved the Sweet Steady ride I did for the first time. Great workouts paired with a core workout yesterday and pushups the day before. It paid off as I broke the 180.0 mark landing at 179.6 for the first time probably since a month after meeting my wife almost a decade ago. My upper body is definitely getting stronger and it feels great. 

Down 24.8 pounds since starting this.

Keep up the great work everyone! 🤙

Users who are viewing this thread