What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (3 Viewers)

My biggest surprise was finally looking at cals a lot of the products have and how much in total you eat compared to what you should eat. I wasnt the healthiest eater to begin with in terms of snacking and what I'd eat at work and such (Working food retail is terrible when you are trying to diet sometimes especially when you got an amazing hot bar at work). 

I'm not hardcore like most here but I've found with eating better that I'm feeling better and issues I had before have lessened or aren't there at all anymore 
Absolutely. It’s amazing how many calories are in so many of the various foods I ate. 

I wasn’t a terribly unhealthy eater but I’ve discovered this week that I used to snack all the time and not really because I was hungry but because it was there in front of me. It’s been an awakening of sorts this week in that regard.

What's the difference between that and like....real meat?  Why is that better?
Although there is some debate in nutrition circles, there is a body of literature supporting plant over animal protein. One difference is a compound called TMAO, whose building blocks are found in higher quantities in meats than plant sources.

Many studies report a positive relationship between the level of TMAO concentration and the development of various diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases and cardiorenal disorders, including atherosclerosis, hypertension, ischemic stroke, atrial fibrillation, heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, and chronic kidney disease, and also diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, cancers (stomach, colon), as well as neurological disorders
Plant proteins are also kinder to the environment, and animals, of course.

But you're probably better off minimizing meats and meat substitutes in favor of more fruits, veggies and legumes.

What are your concerns with faux meats?

Low carb diets are often just low calorie diets with the benefit of filling you up on fat and protein, and possibly kicking in ketosis. But you didn't get much in the way of nutrition- meat, cheese, 8 berries and a scoop of Metamucil isn't going to help your body feel great.  
:goodposting: I don't understand how anyone believes eating fistfuls of cheesy meat and bunless dogs is remotely healthy.

Hey @bostonfred during my nutrition check I was looking and noticed I wasn't getting a whole lot of fiber intake and Iron. Is there any good easy foods or snacks that are low in Cals and high on these things? I saw Raisin Brain has a good fiber intake but anything else? I like to cook eggs in the morning and maybe if I want a big breakfast and small lunch before a big dinner I might add some granola and yogurt into my breakfast as well. These suggestions above are really good. I don't have much of a choice in my dinner options unless at work or going out for dinner so my food would have to be more Breakfast/Lunch/snack wise. 
The great thing about fiber is it makes you feel fuller. Keep it simple with fresh fruits. Nobody ever gets fat by eating too many apples.

Who said anything about healthy?  
This is how I used to think. I don't think "healthy" people understand. 

In my mind, I got fat because I ate too much. Healthy foods were boring and not something I would choose, like, ever.  Some people just like healthy foods and I get that that's awesome for them but I'm not one of them and I don't really like salad or zucchini. Once in a while I would have salad or make vegetables as a side or eat a piece of fruit and feel like I'd done something healthy but now I was done. 

And I discovered that i could lose weight by just not eating as much.   I ate a bunch of junk and just kept my calories down and lost about 40 lbs over the summer, started out very fast, almost exactly like what you are seeing. 

It works.  You'll lose weight doing this.  You can even maintain the weight loss doing this.  

But you are getting older like the rest of us.  You'll probably get constipation and hemorrhoids from your low fiber diet.  You'll probably have vitamin deficiencies that impact your health even if you take a multi vitamin. You may start to see other health stuff kick in. Not just the potential for diabetes, which is something your doctor warned you about, and is definitely super serious.  But inflammation and all kinds of weird old people pains. Your immune system. Your energy level. Your cancer risk.  All kinds of things that you didn't worry about at 22 but need to now.

In my mind, I got fat because I ate too much. Healthy foods were boring and not something I would choose, like, ever.  Some people just like healthy foods and I get that that's awesome for them but I'm not one of them and I don't really like salad or zucchini. Once in a while I would have salad or make vegetables as a side or eat a piece of fruit and feel like I'd done something healthy but now I was done. 

And I discovered that i could lose weight by just not eating as much.   I ate a bunch of junk and just kept my calories down and lost about 40 lbs over the summer, started out very fast, almost exactly like what you are seeing. 

It works.  You'll lose weight doing this.  You can even maintain the weight loss doing this.  

But you are getting older like the rest of us.  You'll probably get constipation and hemorrhoids from your low fiber diet.  You'll probably have vitamin deficiencies that impact your health even if you take a multi vitamin. You may start to see other health stuff kick in. Not just the potential for diabetes, which is something your doctor warned you about, and is definitely super serious.  But inflammation and all kinds of weird old people pains. Your immune system. Your energy level. Your cancer risk.  All kinds of things that you didn't worry about at 22 but need to now.
I mean, that was just dinner.  I had a giant salad for lunch, and berries at breakfast.  I have been eating a ton of fish and asparagus also over the last two weeks. It's more healthy than I was eating before, now than I think about it. 

Absolutely. It’s amazing how many calories are in so many of the various foods I ate. 

I wasn’t a terribly unhealthy eater but I’ve discovered this week that I used to snack all the time and not really because I was hungry but because it was there in front of me. It’s been an awakening of sorts this week in that regard.
I found out I was more so snacking because I wasn't healthy snacking if that makes sense. Just eating stuff high cals and not much energy or nutrition 

As a “healthy” person, I definitely don’t understand the bolded. Regardless, how do we change, on an individual or societal level, the idea that nutritious food is boring?

Forgot to update this the last couple days 

142g protein

92g fiber which is just absurd 

3304mg sodium

Under calories yesterday.  Had a couple Mission carb balance tortillas which have a ton of fiber but also had my fruits and vegetables.  

As a “healthy” person, I definitely don’t understand the bolded. Regardless, how do we change, on an individual or societal level, the idea that nutritious food is boring?
One thing that we do a terrible job of is promoting different levels of healthy eating.  That's mostly because the companies that sell health food magazines and gym memberships are marketing to people like you, while companies that sell Doritos and Tacos are marketing to people who want cheap delicious food.  There is definitely a middle group who want to be a little healthier but aren't ready to commit to a lifestyle overhaul. 

There's already a divide between the healthy eating crowd and the people who want to eat what they want when they want it.  As a big fat fatty, I felt like skinny people were just different people who liked weird gross foods that I didn't like, and prioritized totally different things.  A lot of healthy people wouldn't even try the foods I used to eat regularly.   

But with the marketing aspect, people like me didn't get a lot of healthy options offered to us.  Go to Chili's and see what you can find with low sodium and low calories.  It's bleak. Go to whole foods and check out their selection of snacks.  They suck.  According to market segmentation, either you are a healthy person or an unhealthy one, and the unhealthy ones do NOT like to be reminded of it more than maybe an occasional salad. 

I would love to see more healthy options at restaurants especially takeout/delivery. My family wants pizza... When a fat guy like me wanted a healthier option I would get something like a chicken caesar wrap.  Um, that wasn't actually much better. 

On an individual level, having a big picture goal but choosing small changes is the best way to help.  If you're 20 lbs overweight, focusing on food quality is important. If you're 100 over, food quantity is the most important thing at first, then slowly make the changes that work in the context of your long term goals. 

Walking downstairs yesterday I randomly pulled a muscle in my calf.  Nothing serious, I think my legs were just tight from my run the day before and couldn't help whichever little stabilizer muscle I needed at that moment, so it just went on strike.  Allowed myself to go over calories and just get it better.  Feels fine today, will do some yard work and probably go for a swim instead of a run.  

I don't think I made much progress this week, and I knew that would happen.  I did the math and realized my goal was reachable with room to spare so I didn't have to push.  That's the mental side of losing weight.  It's so easy to convince myself that i don't have to do this, and I don't feel the same urgency I did when I was heavier.  Blech.

I coached soccer all weekend.  I used that to my advantage to throw in a couple of twenty hour fasts.  Basically had water, black coffee, and a mozzarella stick.  Last night I finally got some fruit and scallops and spinach in.   Now I'm having some spinach, sausage, and eggs.  I still feel great.  Really looking to getting in that scale later today.  I'm looking at you 290!

I coached soccer all weekend.  I used that to my advantage to throw in a couple of twenty hour fasts.  Basically had water, black coffee, and a mozzarella stick.  Last night I finally got some fruit and scallops and spinach in.   Now I'm having some spinach, sausage, and eggs.  I still feel great.  Really looking to getting in that scale later today.  I'm looking at you 290!
This sounds dangerous to me.  

Why?  I wasn't hungry at all.  I meant I ate a good meal after twenty hours.  I was outside and too busy to eat.  Back to normal today.
BF isn't a doctor and isn't offering medical advice.  But if you Googled "is it dangerous for an overweight person to cut calories by 80% for multiple weeks" or if you asked a doctor their advice, hypothetically you might hear some medical advice worth listening to.

Nobody is judging your actions or decisions.  Just trying to be supportive while also sharing our collective experience and wisdom (such as it is).

Really awesome to see you locked in and focused on making progress!!

BF isn't a doctor and isn't offering medical advice.  But if you Googled "is it dangerous for an overweight person to cut calories by 80% for multiple weeks" or if you asked a doctor their advice, hypothetically you might hear some medical advice worth listening to.

Nobody is judging your actions or decisions.  Just trying to be supportive while also sharing our collective experience and wisdom (such as it is).

Really awesome to see you locked in and focused on making progress!!
I wasn't mad.  I just didn't understand.  I'm too lazy to google.  🙂 I do want the yoga pants thread back for motivation though.

The doctor told me to do long fasts every day to move things along fwiw. 

Cutting out coffee cream and carby snacks instead of meals have been my biggest adjustments.  I always really juat ate one big meal a day.  Now I do two in a six hour period.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't mad.  I just didn't understand.  I'm too lazy to google.  🙂 I do want the yoga pants thread back for motivation though.

Nobody else will be motivated by pics of anyone in this thread wearing yoga pants.  Or at least not pics of me in yoga pants.

Cutting out coffee cream and carby snacks instead of meals have been my biggest adjustments.  I always really juat ate one big meal a day.  Now I do two in a six hour period.
How about several smaller meals instead?  It would also cut the temptation of bad snacking.

237.4 today, 3.9 pounds last week and 38.6 in total. It's likely due to my body expelling the foodesque substances from Applebee's as quickly as possible, but I'll take it. Last week was a pretty good week for exercise. Plan is to ramp that up as my BMR declines from dropping a few lbs. It's already down more than 175 Kcal from when I started.
Took the day off of work and forgot about the weekly check in.

235.5 today, 1.9 pounds last week and 40.5 in total. Not as active last week. Had to go in on Saturday and got pizza for the team, ended up eating some to make my worst day since I started actively losing weight. Still on track to break 230 by the end of the month.

Weekly Update - 

07/05/2021 - 202
07/12/2021 - 199 (-3)

Total Lost - 3

Overall it was a good week getting into the swing of watching and tracking what I ate. Aside from one day where I forgot I had a dinner engagement I stated under my daily 1,800 calorie limit which to be honest most days I’m not even getting to that limit. Usually I’m having a light breakfast, a salad for lunch and chicken/vegetables for dinner. Usually snacking on fat-free Pop Secret popcorn but that’s it. 

How about several smaller meals instead?  It would also cut the temptation of bad snacking.
I have had ZERO temptation fwiw.  I never really drank or smoked either.  This seems to be working for me.  Weds will be three weeks I believe, maybe four?  And I will be down from 318 to around 290.  The best part is that my blood pressure had been very high during covid.  Like 160 over 115ish.  It dropped to like 130 over 95 when I checked it.  was twenty pounds down at that point.  Before my eating changes, I was eating five to ten prunes a day.  I didn't realize how much sugar they had.  I'm curious if that had anything to do with me testing for Diabetes last month.  

I have had ZERO temptation fwiw.  I never really drank or smoked either.  This seems to be working for me.  Weds will be three weeks I believe, maybe four?  And I will be down from 318 to around 290.  The best part is that my blood pressure had been very high during covid.  Like 160 over 115ish.  It dropped to like 130 over 95 when I checked it.  was twenty pounds down at that point.  Before my eating changes, I was eating five to ten prunes a day.  I didn't realize how much sugar they had.  I'm curious if that had anything to do with me testing for Diabetes last month.  
Great job so far.  A fruit you may want to eat is watermelon.  Less sugary and more filling.

Great job so far.  A fruit you may want to eat is watermelon.  Less sugary and more filling.
Been going with Blueberries, Avacado, and Strawberries.  I thought I read they had less carbs.  I better check.

PIK95 said:
Been going with Blueberries, Avacado, and Strawberries.  I thought I read they had less carbs.  I better check.
Carbs from real foods and not processed ones are absolutely fine and generally should not influence decision making. Be mindful of the calories in avocados though. 

:goodposting: For the love of God, carbohydrates are not the enemy: high calorie, low nutrient foods are. Carbohydrates, fats and proteins all play a role in healthy diets. 
I mean, I know nothing about this, but I never lose much weight when I cut calories.  Every time I cut carbs the weight falls off fast.  

I just looked in my book.  I went to the dr. on June 23rd.  Weight was 318, bp was 145ish over 115ish.  Just crossed into diabetes and cholesterol also.  Never had those issues, just BP the last few years.

Today I am around 292, bp is 139-86, and feel so much better.  Curious to see how diabetes and cholesterol numbers look in August when I go back. I only take BP meds so far, nothing for the other stuff.

A couple of you seem almost mad at my methods, but I am losing weight and my body feels good.  I don't understand the anger honestly. I'll keep doing this and updating anyway.

Carbs from real foods and not processed ones are absolutely fine and generally should not influence decision making. Be mindful of the calories in avocados though. 
I have a half an avacado a couple of times a week.  But thanks, I'll see if that makes a difference if I skip them for a week. I mostly lean on blueberries and strawberries for fruit.  Gonna have some brussel sprouts and chicken later today.  Still no cravings or bad moods. 

I haven't had alcohol or smoke since I had a couple of beers in April.  Pre covid otherwise I think. Never smoked tobacco in my life.

I have a half an avacado a couple of times a week.  But thanks, I'll see if that makes a difference if I skip them for a week. I mostly lean on blueberries and strawberries for fruit.  Gonna have some brussel sprouts and chicken later today.  Still no cravings or bad moods. 

I haven't had alcohol or smoke since I had a couple of beers in April.  Pre covid otherwise I think. Never smoked tobacco in my life.
The intent of what I wrote was not to recommend cutting avocados. It was to be more mindful of your total caloric intake on avocado days. Avocados are great for you; I just ate one and probably have 3-5 most weeks...they just have more calories than most fruits/veggies. 

The intent of what I wrote was not to recommend cutting avocados. It was to be more mindful of your total caloric intake on avocado days. Avocados are great for you; I just ate one and probably have 3-5 most weeks...they just have more calories than most fruits/veggies. 
I appreciate the heads up.  I don't look at calories fwiw, but I will keep the avocado halves to a couple a week.  Appreciate it.

I mean, I know nothing about this, but I never lose much weight when I cut calories.  Every time I cut carbs the weight falls off fast.  

I just looked in my book.  I went to the dr. on June 23rd.  Weight was 318, bp was 145ish over 115ish.  Just crossed into diabetes and cholesterol also.  Never had those issues, just BP the last few years.

Today I am around 292, bp is 139-86, and feel so much better.  Curious to see how diabetes and cholesterol numbers look in August when I go back. I only take BP meds so far, nothing for the other stuff.

A couple of you seem almost mad at my methods, but I am losing weight and my body feels good.  I don't understand the anger honestly. I'll keep doing this and updating anyway.
I'm not mad at all...I'm just concerned with the mentality that carbohydrates are solely to blame for weight gain, and how a chunk of society conflates carbohydrates with processed, unhealthy food.

We tried similar thinking in the 80's, when fat was demonized, and the resultant switch to sugary, low-fat substitutes played a major role in the obesity pandemic. Fast forward 40 years, and we're doing the same with carbohydrates, but substitute protein as the "healthy" nutrient. While this can certainly lead to short-term weight loss, I'm fully anticipating long term health consequences of this trend, independent of the impact on obesity. Although it's possible losing weight will offset any bad effects of the diet, history tells us most people re-gain weight from unsustainable diets within a couple years. Rather than perpetuate such a cycle, I'll continue to advocate slow, healthy changes to promote long-term weight loss, which focus on plant-based, whole foods rather than macronutrients.

My degree is in biochemistry, and I have some post-graduate nutrition training. Biologically, it makes no sense to largely exclude an entire class of macronutrient, especially the one found in highest quantities in fruits and vegetables. You're basically "tricking" your body into starvation metabolism while limiting the most nutritious foods. I believe the body will adapt, and its adaptation will thwart your efforts long term. I have two friends who work with obese patients as well, and they agree most ketogenic/very low carbohydrate diets aren't sustainable or particularly healthy. 

I'm glad you're losing weight and your numbers are improving. That's certainly better than the alternative of gaining more weight and chronic medical problems. But I also know it's possible to achieve a desirable weight with more healthy choices. It won't be rapid or exciting, but plant-rich, non-carbohydrate restricted diets can work, and serve as the basis for diets of the most long-lived populations on the planet.

Ok, that all makes sense.  But what am I "excluding"  that's so bad?  Sugar?  Pasta?  Bread?  I have issues with gluten also.  This is also helping with that big time.  Not sure what I am "leaving out" with cutting carbs.  

PIK95 said:

Ok, that all makes sense.  But what am I "excluding"  that's so bad?  Sugar?  Pasta?  Bread?  I have issues with gluten also.  This is also helping with that big time.  Not sure what I am "leaving out" with cutting carbs.  
I think it started from the post above.

Got some bad news yesterday, nothing health related or anything but just needed some comfort food and drink

My hamstrings are still barking from my yard work this weekend but finally getting a little better so I should be back to running tomorrow 
Cheers to you! 

Think I might need to post in a different thread. 

I'm not mad at all...I'm just concerned with the mentality that carbohydrates are solely to blame for weight gain, and how a chunk of society conflates carbohydrates with processed, unhealthy food.

We tried similar thinking in the 80's, when fat was demonized, and the resultant switch to sugary, low-fat substitutes played a major role in the obesity pandemic. Fast forward 40 years, and we're doing the same with carbohydrates, but substitute protein as the "healthy" nutrient. While this can certainly lead to short-term weight loss, I'm fully anticipating long term health consequences of this trend, independent of the impact on obesity. Although it's possible losing weight will offset any bad effects of the diet, history tells us most people re-gain weight from unsustainable diets within a couple years. Rather than perpetuate such a cycle, I'll continue to advocate slow, healthy changes to promote long-term weight loss, which focus on plant-based, whole foods rather than macronutrients.

My degree is in biochemistry, and I have some post-graduate nutrition training. Biologically, it makes no sense to largely exclude an entire class of macronutrient, especially the one found in highest quantities in fruits and vegetables. You're basically "tricking" your body into starvation metabolism while limiting the most nutritious foods. I believe the body will adapt, and its adaptation will thwart your efforts long term. I have two friends who work with obese patients as well, and they agree most ketogenic/very low carbohydrate diets aren't sustainable or particularly healthy. 

I'm glad you're losing weight and your numbers are improving. That's certainly better than the alternative of gaining more weight and chronic medical problems. But I also know it's possible to achieve a desirable weight with more healthy choices. It won't be rapid or exciting, but plant-rich, non-carbohydrate restricted diets can work, and serve as the basis for diets of the most long-lived populations on the planet.
I went whole food plant based for about 6 months last year and never ate more carbs in my life. Whole grain pasta, beans, potatoes, whole grain toast, etc. Lost a lot of weight, felt good and had lots of energy. I would keep doing it today except I can’t get the family on board with it. I would post some of my meals to Facebook and a lot of my fad diet friends would always comment on the amount of carbs as they are posting pizzas using low carb cheese crusts.  No wonder they can’t lose weight. Not only did I lose a ton of weight on a carb heavy diet, I ate as much as I wanted. 

I went whole food plant based for about 6 months last year and never ate more carbs in my life. Whole grain pasta, beans, potatoes, whole grain toast, etc. Lost a lot of weight, felt good and had lots of energy. I would keep doing it today except I can’t get the family on board with it. I would post some of my meals to Facebook and a lot of my fad diet friends would always comment on the amount of carbs as they are posting pizzas using low carb cheese crusts.  No wonder they can’t lose weight. Not only did I lose a ton of weight on a carb heavy diet, I ate as much as I wanted. 
This is a problem I'm having. I have no problem moving to a plant-based, almost vegan diet, but don't have the wherewithal to self-start and then follow through on a plant-based diet that entails things like constant shopping, cooking, etc.

Does anybody know of a sustainable program (or a good nutritional resource for DIY purposes) that is a safe, vegan way to go about getting one's nutrition up to snuff? I'm really not sure how to go about being safe and satisfying with a new diet. Any resource would help, really. I'm not against putting in some work to do it, despite my concerns about shopping and cooking endlessly. Any tips would be appreciated.

Anyway, I've lost some weight recently but seem to have plateaued. I want to lose weight and just eat better. Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Jul 14           194.4                -                                                  1320
  • Jul 15           192.2                -2.2                                          
I set 190 as my guardrail, and had crept up to 189.  I was still weighing most mornings but not tracking it in my phone.  Well after a big weekend of eating for our anniversary, I stepped on the scales yesterday to see 194.4 (which I would have been thrilled with a year ago).  The last weight my phone registered was 185.2, and a message popped up and said "Weight difference too great, please confirm you want to keep this reading." :)  

Last time it took a few days for the hunger to subside, so I'm ready to get past that stage.  Yesterday was my Chickpotle mashup, and I'll likely do it again today.  I'm going to physical therapy for my shoulder today, and I'll get in a decent walk around the neighborhood.  I'll probably set my target at 185, although once I break 190 I will probably be much looser with it.  I don't want to hang out over the guard rail for too long.

This is a problem I'm having. I have no problem moving to a plant-based, almost vegan diet, but don't have the wherewithal to self-start and then follow through on a plant-based diet that entails things like constant shopping, cooking, etc.

Does anybody know of a sustainable program (or a good nutritional resource for DIY purposes) that is a safe, vegan way to go about getting one's nutrition up to snuff? I'm really not sure how to go about being safe and satisfying with a new diet. Any resource would help, really. I'm not against putting in some work to do it, despite my concerns about shopping and cooking endlessly. Any tips would be appreciated.

Anyway, I've lost some weight recently but seem to have plateaued. I want to lose weight and just eat better. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Would you be willing to devote part of one day to shop and food prep? It took some tinkering when we first started doing this to figure out how best to manage, but that is our approach. This way the only other thing we have to do each week is an interim stop at a market to reload produce. We aren't forced to cook each night; it's just an option. 

Would you be willing to devote part of one day to shop and food prep? It took some tinkering when we first started doing this to figure out how best to manage, but that is our approach. This way the only other thing we have to do each week is an interim stop at a market to reload produce. We aren't forced to cook each night; it's just an option. 
Depends on the amount of time. I'm initially really uncertain because of that concern, but I think as the more I think about it and put words into concrete form, the more I want to do this. Not just for weight, but for other reasons, too. But weight and health are primary reasons for doing this, I should say.

Depends on the amount of time. I'm initially really uncertain because of that concern, but I think as the more I think about it and put words into concrete form, the more I want to do this. Not just for weight, but for other reasons, too. But weight and health are primary reasons for doing this, I should say.
At first, KISS. If it turns into a sustainable habit then by all means budget more time. Gotta restrict timing on the front end if potential commitment is an issue. So how do you accomplish that?

Prioritize grab-and-go foods - for fruits and veggies (bananas, apples, grape tomatoes, snap peas, etc) instead of ones that require work at home before they're actually ready (pineapple, watermelon, peppers, cucumber, etc). Doesn't get much easier than individual portions of low sugar greek yogurt. Get a few cans of tuna on standby - pairs well with grape tomatoes (and red onion - but that requires work). I've never tried it, but canned salmon is a thing - just add salt and pepper, maybe some lemon juice. I'm eating cottage cheese with blueberries as I'm typing this - prep time was literally just dumping 3 spoonfulls of cottage cheese in a container last night and putting a handful of berries on top. Get some sliced meats and cheeses then roll them up and shove 'em in a bag in the fridge. Gotta be careful with calorie counting, but almond butter and peanut butter go well with apples and celery (among other things) respectfully. Or just have a bag of mixed nuts/trail mix.

Once per week prepare two low maintenance proteins simultaneously - one in the oven (baked chicken) and one on the stove top (turkey chili), maybe hard boil some eggs while you're at it. Devote the amount of time it takes the chicken to bake (45-60 mins) to do anything else that doesn't fit the grab-and-go mentioned earlier. This way your only time commitment is to shop, organize once home, then however long it takes the oven dish to cook. 

You don't want to prepare a full chicken meal because that will become cumbersome, but if you make enough chicken for three meals (two dinners and a lunch?) then you already have the protein ready and just need to figure out something simple to pair it with. Maybe one day you chop up a dozen or so mushrooms and throw 'em into a pan with some salt garlic and pepper for 5 mins and voila. Maybe another day you just heat up some beans or lentils. Maybe another day you just pair with some raw carrots. Or just toss a dollop of guac/hummus on the plate. Etc.

Then maybe you put two portions of the turkey chili in the fridge and three portions in the freezer. This way the turkey chili gets stretched out months - you just take a portion out in a future week when you feel like having it again or you don't have enough food in the fridge to get through the week. I think this element (preparing healthy dishes that can be frozen) and grab-and-go's are the two most important factors in developing healthier sustainable habits.

And got a week when you don't even want to devote that much time? Buy a slab of ribs for the oven (just don't tell bbq guys you're doing that). Turn the oven to 175, season it with whatever, wrap it in foil, throw it in the oven, then go do something else for 4-5 hours. Literally the only thing you have to do is cut it up sometime after its rested. Ribs are certainly not the healthiest food in the world, but compared to many well established habits (take out, pasta, pizza, etc) it's slimming just talking about it.

I could go on, but that's probably even too much. 

Oh my God, MAC, thanks for your detailed response, but I was looking to go vegan/vegetarian or at least pescetarian and was wondering about any resources I could use to do so. I'm sorry that wasn't more clear in what I was saying. What you said about prep time applies, though. And making meals that stretch out to more meals is important, too.

It actually sounds like you're doing what I once did. I'm just looking to get to plant-based diet. I wanted it to be a safe transition (I know people that have had health issues doing that, like anemia).

So thanks again, but not sure I'll be making oven-baked chicken that can stretch out for a few meals. I'm trying to eat nothing that physically stretches, come to think of it.

I found it sustainable, but I’m also the type of person that can eat the same things every day if they are good.  A lot of the cornerstone foods stay good for extended periods of time like beans and grains, so I never found the shopping aspect to be a chore. Find foods that you like and find ways to substitute the meat out.

I like tacos, so one thing I did was take tofu, use a fork to turn it into crumbles, then made up some taco seasoning, marinate it for a bit, then spread the mix on a making sheet. It would come out with some crispy and chewy bit that had a similar texture to meat and tasted like tacos, especially after adding salsa and cilantro.

Users who are viewing this thread