What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (7 Viewers)

January 1 208

Valentine’s Day 197

Easter 197

I’m not sure how I didn’t lose anything over lent by not eating candy but here we are. Today I am going to binge on bunnies and start again tomorrow. -10 by Memorial Day? Doubtful but I’m going to try. 

Slight cheat day yesterday as had delayed engagement dinner with our daughter, her fiancée and his parents.  They are from Napa and have unreal connections in the wine industry.  For dinner they brought a 2004 vintage of Screaming Eagle.  Made good choices but I was going to enjoy that wine and meal.  Holding at 197.  Need to make a Corp/Fred type of run...

Slight cheat day yesterday as had delayed engagement dinner with our daughter, her fiancée and his parents.  They are from Napa and have unreal connections in the wine industry.  For dinner they brought a 2004 vintage of Screaming Eagle.  Made good choices but I was going to enjoy that wine and meal.  Holding at 197.  Need to make a Corp/Fred type of run...
For special occasions no way I'm turning down the good stuff (whatever that may be).  I had a nice Easter lunch this afternoon with the family and had my second dessert since Thanksgiving, a small piece of Mandarin Orange Cake.  MMM so good.  The key is to make sure it is truly a special occasion and not "Hey Taco Tuesday is special too!"

Happy Easter everyone!

Bad week or so...noticing I was a little undisciplined a few days.  Then a Fantasy Baseball draft and a few beers too many with friends didn't help.  Nor did the salt content or plate discipline yesterday for that grilled Easter ham.

Back at it today.

Bad week or so...noticing I was a little undisciplined a few days.  Then a Fantasy Baseball draft and a few beers too many with friends didn't help.  Nor did the salt content or plate discipline yesterday for that grilled Easter ham.

Back at it today.
Holidays are tricky.  Was up in Wisconsin visiting the parents for Easter (thankfully a very very small group of people).   It was a reminder of the terrible food habits my dad has.  Buying cookies, ice cream, donuts, enough for weeks.  And then encouraging everyone to eat this garbage at every meal.

And of course, the meals themselves were typical heavy Midwestern holiday meals already.  Haven’t had the heart to weigh myself yet, but will before lunch.  Ugh.

Fortunately, I don’t ever have to think up a new plan.  I just go back to basics and do exactly what has worked the past 3-4 months.

208.2 yesterday, 214.2 this morning.  Lol. Congratulations I'm obese again. 
LOL! I was 207 and change on Friday morning. After date night Friday and Easter Sunday, I was 210 and change this morning. 

I pulled a Corporation (can we call a monster poop a "Corp"?) after the weigh-in, so maybe I'm back down a bit. I figure it'll take a few days before all the stuff I ate yesterday clears my system, so maybe a Wednesday weigh-in. 

I also took some time to think about what's next. I'm gonna get to merely "overweight". Goal: 196.9 by Memorial Day. My initial weigh-in for my Easter to Memorial Day challenge will be Wednesday to hopefully clear out my system.  Assuming I'm around 207-208, that's about 10-11 pounds over the next 8 weeks. Here we go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Visited the in laws for the past 5 days.  Good news - didn’t drink a sip of booze over the weekend.  Bad news - didn’t exercise at all and didn’t really watch my diet (and my mother-in-law’s favorite 2 ingredients are oil and salt).  Back at it this week with lots of oats and fish/grilled chicken!

LOL! I was 207 and change on Friday morning. After date night Friday and Easter Sunday, I was 210 and change this morning. 

I pulled a Corporation (can we call a monster poop a "Corp"?) after the weigh-in, so maybe I'm back down a bit. I figure it'll take a few days before all the stuff I ate yesterday clears my system, so maybe a Wednesday weigh-in. 

I also took some time to think about what's next. I'm gonna get to merely "overweight". Goal: 196.9 by Memorial Day. My initial weigh-in for my Easter to Memorial Day challenge will be Wednesday to hopefully clear out my system.  Assuming I'm around 207-208, that's about 10-11 pounds over the next 8 weeks. Here we go!
Happy to be associated with poop!  I think you can hit that goal, I've been averaging right around 2 pounds a week.  Anything more than that you are supposed to be under doctor's supervision. 1.5 a week is a great target, especially if you are exercising and replacing fat with heavier muscle.

@bostonfred Did you weigh more than once to validate that number?  I've seen a 3 maybe 4 pound jump in a day, but 6 seems way (weigh) out of line.  I'm guessing in a few days it will shake out to be about a true 1.5 gain.

Glad a lot of you guys were able to enjoy Easter and even indulge a bit.   One thing I always tell myself is DONT LET A CHEAT DAY BECOME A CHEAT WEEK.  It can be easier said than done as food is an addiction for many of us and we can easily retreat back to our old habits and comfort zones.   Stay vigilant and good luck!

@bostonfred Did you weigh more than once to validate that number?  I've seen a 3 maybe 4 pound jump in a day, but 6 seems way (weigh) out of line.  I'm guessing in a few days it will shake out to be about a true 1.5 gain.
I doubt i gained a "true" 1.5 lbs.  It's hard to eat my maintenance calories plus 5000 but even if I did my body wouldn't even have time to absorb them all before I pooped it out.

My "real weight" probably was never 208.2 - if I ate exactly maintenance calories for a month I'd probably have crept up to 212 or so. Just like when you first lost weight, you lost 5 or more pounds that first week, a bunch of it comes back when you stop. 

I hate to tell you this but your 189 is probably closer to a "real" 193 or more - when you eventually stop and go into maintenance mode, don't be discouraged if you see the scale jump up quickly. We all enjoyed that first week of our diets but you have to pay the piper eventually. 

The good news is that I should see a quick drop again this week just like the first week of a diet.  And I'll see some ups and downs because I'm not going to go quite as hard as I have been the last 3+ months. I was really planning to slow down, maybe even build some muscle and add some weight back in the process, but being this close to 199 is super tempting. 

And as much as I enjoyed eating and drinking without counting, I feel like that kid whose dad caught him smoking a cigarette and made him smoke a whole carton to make him hate it. I restocked my wine cabinet and have a few more snacks in the house but I'm not really dying to eat a bunch of junk right now. 

I'll stick to my plan of setting myfitnesspal for lose two pounds and giving myself 3500 bonus calories per week, and let's see where this goes.

Holidays are tricky.  Was up in Wisconsin visiting the parents for Easter (thankfully a very very small group of people).   It was a reminder of the terrible food habits my dad has.  Buying cookies, ice cream, donuts, enough for weeks.  And then encouraging everyone to eat this garbage at every meal.

And of course, the meals themselves were typical heavy Midwestern holiday meals already.  Haven’t had the heart to weigh myself yet, but will before lunch.  Ugh.

Fortunately, I don’t ever have to think up a new plan.  I just go back to basics and do exactly what has worked the past 3-4 months.
Yeah. No new plan ...just get back to grinding how I was. Including lifting weights in the garage during lunch before back to work.

Welp, I just Otised Monday away. Went for a nice run, ate lean protein including seaeed scallops with a baked potato for dinner.  Then a glass of wine.  Then Bad Fred came out and reminded me that there was Easter candy in the basement. Bad Fred is the worst. Let's see what Tuesday looks like. 

Welp, I just Otised Monday away. Went for a nice run, ate lean protein including seaeed scallops with a baked potato for dinner.  Then a glass of wine.  Then Bad Fred came out and reminded me that there was Easter candy in the basement. Bad Fred is the worst. Let's see what Tuesday looks like. 
Love that “otised” is a verb.

Bad Fred sounds like fun at parties though.

I’m in Pigeon Forge for a few days - I’m eating and drinking like I’m Andre the Giant but I’m 5’9”.  I’m hoping to keep it under 200 but seems unlikely.
Try to remember that it sucks to lose weight you've already lost. Also, try to forget that putting on weight is so much fun. 

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 12        194.4                -31.7                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1648
  • Mar 19        191.8                -34.3                  -2.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1470
  • Mar 26        191.3                -34.8                  -0.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1671
  • Apr 2           189.3                -36.8                 -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1507
  • Apr 3           188.7                -37.4                                        1750
  • Apr 4           188.7                -37.4                                        1470
  • Apr 5           188.7                -37.4                                        1470
  • Apr 6           187.8                -38.2                                        1520
Did my first MAF yesterday.  I'm not sure what was more embarrassing - how slow MAF was making me go or the fact that I was still winded coming back up the hill.  Only did a mile.  Quads were sore but no joint pain.  Just walked a mile tonight to see how much slower it was than the MAF shuffle.  Answer: not much.

I've always struggled with heart rate.  Even when I was doing my 50 mile bike trips, when we hit the serious sustained climbs my heart rate would touch 190.  I'm going to stick with this to hopefully improve my aerobic rate which then should improve my cycling.  I can't cycle right now with my shoulder anyway because I can't reach out that far for the handlebars.

I forgot that yesterday was taco Tuesday. My kid has wanted taco Tuesday for weeks from this hole in the wall place in town that advertises 6 nights a week of karaoke and has a taco Tuesday promotion.  He usually earns a reward every Saturday but he skipped it this week so he could have taco Tuesday which of course has to be on a Tuesday. So we got takeout last night and I had some unknown amount of calories, probably over goal but under maintenance. And what did the kid order? A ####### cheeseburger off the kids menu.  I made him eat a taco just because.

I also did a hard interval session on the treadmill with quarter to half mile sprints.  Weather should be nice today if time permits I'm going for a longish run maybe 5 to 6 miles. 

Success story:

I may have posted in here 5-6 months ago, can’t remember. Going through awful personal circumstances and rarely post. But my story may help others who can’t lose weight.

43, 5’11, started covid at 211 and was working out like crazy.  Within 3 months was 228.  (225-230 had been a hover point for a long time)

Current weight is 191, so 37 pounds lost and I totally stopped trying from November until February. 

I have two issues:  I love food and I don’t really enjoy working out.  Those two have combined to keep me overweight for my entire adult life.

Secret to my success:  walking.

I try to walk 15-20k steps a day.  That’s really really hard, because it takes up a lot of time. You have to have the right job for it. If you don’t, you’ll be away from your family for long periods of time.

But generally if I eat 2k calories and wait 20k steps a day, I lose 1.5 pounds a week. I’m currently trying to incorporate push-ups/curls/squats into the mix as I get thinner to prepare myself for the inevitable lifting/bulking program I’ll be on in 2-3 months.  

The best part about this is when I eat 2k calories I don’t feel hungry.  Also, walking doesn’t usually raise my hunger like other exercises do.  

Originally my goal was 199. I quickly saw that wasn’t enough and adjusted to 189.  I actually think now I need to be 169, but for now the goal is 179, after which I need to decide whether it’s time to lift and bulk, or burn through ten more pounds of flab.

Shortened version:  Have gone from 228 to 191 by tons of walking and eating 2k calories a day.

Just got back from a 6 mile run.  That would have been my long run two weeks ago but now it's a mid week run.  Hilly and crappy sidewalk pavement and my heart rate apparently jumped to 180 at one point but averaged 144 which feels like a watch glitch because whenever i looked down it was in the high 130s to 140 range but I definitely booked it downhill a couple times which is fun as hell but will probably be the reason I post about my season ending knee injury if I'm not careful. 

Had some berries with yogurt for breakfast, chili with chips for lunch, and making chicken cordon bleu and vegetables for dinner with wine.  Ended up being a stressful day with some family things but still ended up about 300 over goal or about 700 under maintenance calories. I'll take it. 

bostonfred said:
I forgot that yesterday was taco Tuesday. My kid has wanted taco Tuesday for weeks from this hole in the wall place in town that advertises 6 nights a week of karaoke and has a taco Tuesday promotion.  He usually earns a reward every Saturday but he skipped it this week so he could have taco Tuesday which of course has to be on a Tuesday. So we got takeout last night and I had some unknown amount of calories, probably over goal but under maintenance. And what did the kid order? A ####### cheeseburger off the kids menu.  I made him eat a taco just because.

I also did a hard interval session on the treadmill with quarter to half mile sprints.  Weather should be nice today if time permits I'm going for a longish run maybe 5 to 6 miles. 
The cheeseburger on taco Tuesday didn’t get enough love in here.  I could definitely see my son do the same thing.  Love that you made him eat a taco anyway.

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 12        194.4                -31.7                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1648
  • Mar 19        191.8                -34.3                  -2.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1470
  • Mar 26        191.3                -34.8                  -0.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1671
  • Apr 2           189.3                -36.8                 -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1507
  • Apr 3           188.7                -37.4                                        1750
  • Apr 4           188.7                -37.4                                        1470
  • Apr 5           188.7                -37.4                                        1470
  • Apr 6           187.8                -38.2                                        1520
  • Apr 7           188.2                -37.8                                        1470
  • Apr 8           188.2                -37.8                                        2100
I just realized that I put my streak in jeopardy here. A co-worker having a hard time asked if I would go to lunch so I did, and of course he picked Mexican.  That is my absolute worst at judging calories because of the chips and cheese dip. I had a taco, an enchilada and beans as well. 8 nuggets for dinner.  Of course I haven't corped in 3 days now so hopefully still under 189.3.

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Apr 7           188.2                -37.8                                        1470
  • Apr 8           188.2                -37.8                                        2100
I just realized that I put my streak in jeopardy here. A co-worker having a hard time asked if I would go to lunch so I did, and of course he picked Mexican.  That is my absolute worst at judging calories because of the chips and cheese dip. I had a taco, an enchilada and beans as well. 8 nuggets for dinner.  Of course I haven't corped in 3 days now so hopefully still under 189.3.
Mexican isn't so bad as long as you pass on anything related to tortillas. 

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
Nice work from the start man. 

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Apr 9           188.4                -37.7                 -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1607
  • Apr 10         190.2                -35.9                                        1470
  • Apr 11         187.8                -38.3                                        1650
The bump up on Saturday was after I spent all day Friday drinking Gatorade Zero trying to fight off the vaccine side effects.  Had 2 pretty good Corps on Saturday as well.

Uh oh, @bostonfredstops being obese and the thread falls to page 2!  The vaccine side effects only lasted about 18 hours so that was good.  Would definitely endure that for the protection against COVID.
I didn't exactly stop being obese.  I flirted with overweight and then I started drinking more.  Reminds me of many a night in college. On a plus note I've reset both my metabolism and motivation and I have kept up the running, have done some longer runs of 6, 7 and 8 miles in the last 9 days and feel like I'm turning a corner from daily 5ks to longer short runs and longer long run at least while the weather has been good. My weight is definitely up with both water weight and food and alcohol calories but I'm back at it today and making a real push for Onederland. 

I had a bike accident last week and smashed my face a bit - brushed/swollen jaw, chipped teeth, etc.  I've been slowly recovering but it's tough eating properly when you're feeling like crap and can really only drink and slurp your calories - too much soup and smoothies. Can already feel myself getting puffy from the sugar and sodium.  I'm grateful that I did the work over the years and been in maintenance mode for a while now (210 to 160 since 2017 @ 5'11) so I can rest a little easier. 

I'll get better but you folks that are healthy and can still move without being inhibited, get off your a** and keep it moving.  I know it's easier said than done when you're in a comfort zone and'busy' but really the only thing holding you back is yourself.  Soon we'll be too old to do much of anything.  Good luck everyone!

I had a bike accident last week and smashed my face a bit - brushed/swollen jaw, chipped teeth, etc.  I've been slowly recovering but it's tough eating properly when you're feeling like crap and can really only drink and slurp your calories - too much soup and smoothies. Can already feel myself getting puffy from the sugar and sodium.  I'm grateful that I did the work over the years and been in maintenance mode for a while now (210 to 160 since 2017 @ 5'11) so I can rest a little easier. 

I'll get better but you folks that are healthy and can still move without being inhibited, get off your a** and keep it moving.  I know it's easier said than done when you're in a comfort zone and'busy' but really the only thing holding you back is yourself.  Soon we'll be too old to do much of anything.  Good luck everyone!
Sorry to hear about the accident sounds serious. Get well soon. 

I've appreciated you checking in this thread with insights, sounds like you did an awesome job getting yourself into shape losing 50 lbs and also lifting and other activities. Sucks that one of those led to an injury but a good reminder how easy it is to take our health for granted. 

Sorry to hear about the accident sounds serious. Get well soon. 

I've appreciated you checking in this thread with insights, sounds like you did an awesome job getting yourself into shape losing 50 lbs and also lifting and other activities. Sucks that one of those led to an injury but a good reminder how easy it is to take our health for granted. 
Thanks Fred!  it was a slow and steady grind for me.   I let myself go in 2016 after my father's sudden death and depression really kicked in.  Stopped exercising, cooking and pretty much ate like crap for a year - ballooned from 175 to 210.   The weight was a little easier for me to drop due to muscle memory and because I embraced the healthy lifestyle for so many years.   Learning to cut out the emotional eating is still a challenge because sugar is like cocaine for me.  If I had kids with candy in the house like many of you, I don't know what I'd do.  

Hope I'm not sounding too negative in these posts but some of us need a good mental butt kicking to get motivated.  Take care everyone and be safe out there!

So I may have signed up for the growler club at the best local brewery. Prepaid for 30(required) fills of the 64oz Thermoflask style growler they give away free with it. Breaks down to literally $10 a pop. Thankfully, there is no time restraint on how often I fill up. Wife got a free t-shirt from it as well so she was happy.

🍺

Also, I have been still spinning but also a ton of outdoor trench work with installing a water system in all yards.

Users who are viewing this thread