What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asking another (team) for help (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin'

Footballguy
Is there anything "wrong" with asking another team for help, to prompt, to ask, to suggest, remind, even to coach another team set their lineup because they are playing a team in the hunt? Does it matter if a team would be in the hunt or not?

Is it fair gamesmanship?

Does it go with the territory and the nature of the game, the spirit of the game?

I'm going with the choice that each team manager can chose to prod or suggest.

Because each team manager is responsible for setting their own lineups.

Anybody else experience any of this?

Playoff hunt or not, if I see someone that appears to have forgotten or missed a player being out etc, I usually shoot them a text.  I like all wins and losses to be fair and equitable.  

Playoff hunt or not, if I see someone that appears to have forgotten or missed a player being out etc, I usually shoot them a text.  I like all wins and losses to be fair and equitable.  
Thank you for your reply. I also like all teams to be competitive and on top of it.

Is there anything "wrong" with asking another team for help, to prompt, to ask, to suggest, remind, even to coach another team set their lineup because they are playing a team in the hunt? Does it matter if a team would be in the hunt or not?

Is it fair gamesmanship?

Does it go with the territory and the nature of the game, the spirit of the game?

I'm going with the choice that each team manager can chose to prod or suggest.

Because each team manager is responsible for setting their own lineups.

Anybody else experience any of this?
It is aggravating in a dynasty league if teams are actively tanking or in a redraft where teams are out of it and have no incentive to set lineups but to be honest I have an issue with the word 'HELP' because it hints that you would not 'HELP' a team by reminding them to set their lineup if they were facing your team or if someone vying for a playoff spot with your team forgot to set their lineup and you saw but did not actively 'HELP' them by contacting them.   

The Comish should be checking ALL lineups to make sure disinterested teams are setting their lineups and your league should have incentives for ALL teams to keep setting 'best' lineups for wins not losses at this time of year.  

In our dynasty league the winner of the NON-playoff round robin tournament wins a small cash prize and is awarded a bonus 1st round rookie pick at the end of the first round.  Additionally we have a weekly high point prize for a small cash incentive where EVERY TEAM is eligible so even teams who are out of it can win up to the final game but back to your issue in your league right now.

The league commissioner should be the one to police lineups.  I have no issue with you contacting that team so long as you contact teams facing your squad when they haven't set proper lineups.  Just don't like the word 'HELP' since it hints at only helping your team.  Contact the Comish and make sure they are giving reminders to EVERY TEAM so no singular team is 'HELPED'.

Agreed. 

The line gets crossed imo, if you tell the other owner who to start or who to pick up off waivers. A simple "check your injuries" should suffice. 

I agree with much of what Bracie says.  As the commissioner of a deep keeper league, I invariably have to deal with the issue of an actual or perceived tanking to get a better draft pick next year. I’ve had to intervene a few times to make sure the bottom teams are staying competitive.

As mentioned above, the unfortunate flip side, however, is that it’s much harder to “help” a team that is in the title hunt. If the team at the bottom has, say CEH, and he’s a surprise inactive, you may notify them. But do you do the same if instead a team in the playoffs has CEH?

It’s a delicate balance and perhaps the most disliked thing about being a commissioner.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago during the last week of the season, after taking over a really bad team, I received a really interesting email from a team in the hunt, telling me about my responsibilities to field my best lineup, etc., etc. It wasn't a big deal to me but after setting my lineup I received a second email questioning the QB I was playing. I discussed it with him and basically said it didn't matter to me, if he wanted me to change out the QB I would. It was the sweetest loss I had all season, as "his" QB was the difference between me winning and losing. I emailed him and apologized for the loss, he never replied back...

Users who are viewing this thread