What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (4 Viewers)

How does Mariotta rank compared to some other QBs?    Rank them   

Mariotta

Sam Darnold 

Wentz

Goff

Garoppolo

Trubisky
Ya'll know I am not a Mariota booster (well, at least compared to Carr).... but.... the only one I would put ahead of him is Darnold. I still think the kid can play if given the chance with a decent team and coach. 

Goff is about even for me. He can play as long as you don't expect him to be Mahomes or Rodgers or something. 

Wentz is broken. He showed he can be better but for whatever reason I don't see anything that suggests he can make a return to form. You can't 'correct' accuracy. You either have it or you don't. It isn't a system issue or understanding defenses or whatever else. He was second lowest completion percentage for passes beyond the LOS. 

Trubisky is the same thing. His issue is accuracy or at least consistent accuracy. He can throw on a dime on throw but then the the next three may end up in the stands (and not because he was throwing it away). The lowest % period. 

Garoppolo is fools gold. Laughed at the niners getting him just like so many other x-Brady backups who got a shot and were fools gold. 

That all being said, Mariota has value right now. Trade him. Get value back and free up cap. We can take one of these lesser guys with a smaller contract and hopefully cut Peterson then hope Carr stays healthy. 

According to Albert Breer, the Raiders told him “pretty emphatically that Carr isn’t available.” However, the team is open to trading Mariota. “The Raiders will listen on Mariota, and he could be the sort of project that could intrigue a team looking for a quarterbacking bargain,” per Breer

- - -

I mean... it will be brilliant move to have brought him in as a top end backup when we had the cap space and then deal him for value and unload his contract without a cap hit of dead money. 

The Las Vegas Raiders are set to release wide receiver Tyrell Williams at the start of the new league year in March, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday.

Williams, 28, missed all of the 2020 season with a shoulder injury and his release should bring $11.5 million of the the Raiders' books.

Ahead of the 2019 season, Williams signed with the Raiders on a four-year, $44-million deal during an offseason that also saw the team bring in Antonio Brown. Neither of the signings proved fruitful for the franchise.

Around The NFL will have more shortly.

The Las Vegas Raiders are set to release wide receiver Tyrell Williams at the start of the new league year in March, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday.

Williams, 28, missed all of the 2020 season with a shoulder injury and his release should bring $11.5 million of the the Raiders' books.

Ahead of the 2019 season, Williams signed with the Raiders on a four-year, $44-million deal during an offseason that also saw the team bring in Antonio Brown. Neither of the signings proved fruitful for the franchise.

Around The NFL will have more shortly.
This move makes sense. Williams can’t stay healthy.  

Can we collectively take a brief moment to be thankful for never becoming a fan of the Houston Texans?  :DumpsterFire:

kaso said:
Can we collectively take a brief moment to be thankful for never becoming a fan of the Houston Texans?  :DumpsterFire:
:potkettle:

One has bright flames, and the other has hot coals smoldering in the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I’d leave this thread is not because of the posts here, but because I'm trying to stop being tortured as a Raiders fan, and this thread just keeps bringing back in. 40 years of fandom is hard to break. 

I would take as low as a 4 for Mariota but if Mayock plays this right, we could get more. 

I saw one idea for a trade with Washington giving us Ioannidis and like a 5th for our 6th. 

That could be something really good. He is a disruptive interior lineman that can rush. He spent most of this season on IR but previously had 8.5 sacks the year before and 7.5 the year before that. 

I would take as low as a 4 for Mariota but if Mayock plays this right, we could get more. 

I saw one idea for a trade with Washington giving us Ioannidis and like a 5th for our 6th. 

That could be something really good. He is a disruptive interior lineman that can rush. He spent most of this season on IR but previously had 8.5 sacks the year before and 7.5 the year before that. 
No more reclamation projects, what if they return to their best year ever guys...please. Off the waiver wire, for cheap, sure.  But not for one of the only assets the team has, that is expendable.   

Washington NEEDS a qb. Bad.  Mariota should fetch a good price. Here’s hoping. 

No more reclamation projects, what if they return to their best year ever guys...please. Off the waiver wire, for cheap, sure.  But not for one of the only assets the team has, that is expendable.   

Washington NEEDS a qb. Bad.  Mariota should fetch a good price. Here’s hoping. 
I am not sure how he is a reclamation project. He was injured this last season. In 3 games before the injury he had 1.5 sacks.... scratch that... 2 games and 1 and 1/2 quarters before a torn bicep (not exactly a career worrying injury). As I mentioned, 2019 was 8.5 sacks and the year before that 7.5. 

It would make sense for Washington as they are very talented on the D-line. Though it isn't an injury to worry about his form returning or not, any player coming off injury loses value in a trade. 

7 or 8 sacks up the middle would be huge for this defense. This guy shows he can do it. He is only 27. Washington is not going to cut him. He is too dang good and I don't think his cap space is an issue. 

This would be a get that would make sense and it wouldn't be straight up. I really don't see this as a reclamation project. 

Also, keep in mind, that Mariota's contract is only like $10 million but that can easily double with a bunch of incentives if he starts. For a team trading for him that would be a consideration. Also, I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a franchise QB moving forward. He is a high end stop gap QB. How much are we going to get for that?

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/13/what-will-gus-bradleys-defense-look-like-with-the-raiders/

A must read on better getting an understanding of the base cover 3 and the position needs/fits. Very enlightening.
Good read.  I really like a couple players from this draft that are mentioned in the article, Owusu-Koramoah and Ossai.  I think there is a decent chance JOK will be taken before the Raiders pick, but if he is there I think he would be a great first round pick.  Ossai should definitely be there in the first and might even be there in the second round when the Raiders pick.  Getting both would be my dream scenario.  

I am not sure how he is a reclamation project. He was injured this last season. In 3 games before the injury he had 1.5 sacks.... scratch that... 2 games and 1 and 1/2 quarters before a torn bicep (not exactly a career worrying injury). As I mentioned, 2019 was 8.5 sacks and the year before that 7.5. 

It would make sense for Washington as they are very talented on the D-line. Though it isn't an injury to worry about his form returning or not, any player coming off injury loses value in a trade. 

7 or 8 sacks up the middle would be huge for this defense. This guy shows he can do it. He is only 27. Washington is not going to cut him. He is too dang good and I don't think his cap space is an issue. 

This would be a get that would make sense and it wouldn't be straight up. I really don't see this as a reclamation project. 

Also, keep in mind, that Mariota's contract is only like $10 million but that can easily double with a bunch of incentives if he starts. For a team trading for him that would be a consideration. Also, I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a franchise QB moving forward. He is a high end stop gap QB. How much are we going to get for that?
I think Mariota is worth a third round pick these days.   My post from a few days ago comparing QBs that may be on the move this off-season was trying to show that Mariota absolutely has decent value.  He has proven that he can play decently in the NFL, is young, and has an affordable contract.  

I think Mariota is worth a third round pick these days.   My post from a few days ago comparing QBs that may be on the move this off-season was trying to show that Mariota absolutely has decent value.  He has proven that he can play decently in the NFL, is young, and has an affordable contract.  
Agreed but he will be discounted because he is a backup now coming off of every opportunity to succeed as a starter previously. A 4th straight up is his floor. A third is possible if we are patient and things break our way. A 2nd would be amazingly awesome 

I don't get all the talk on the board about trading Mariota when the only backup is Peterman and Gruden isn't stellar at making draft picks. As Doc says, he's young and has an affordable contract. He shined in his only appearance last year. What's not to like? He'd be a very viable backup. You want to trade him for a potentially worthless pick and potentially go back to the days of Pat McGroin?

I say keep him and give him 2 or 3 series a game, maybe more depending on game flow. Give defenses something else to think about.

I don't get all the talk on the board about trading Mariota when the only backup is Peterman and Gruden isn't stellar at making draft picks. As Doc says, he's young and has an affordable contract. He shined in his only appearance last year. What's not to like? He'd be a very viable backup. You want to trade him for a potentially worthless pick and potentially go back to the days of Pat McGroin?

I say keep him and give him 2 or 3 series a game, maybe more depending on game flow. Give defenses something else to think about.
Its just that we're over the cap by 8 or 9 million. The Raiders can't afford his 10+million salary. And if we can get a 3 for him they should jump all over it. 

Its just that we're over the cap by 8 or 9 million. The Raiders can't afford his 10+million salary. And if we can get a 3 for him they should jump all over it. 
I think they can afford him if they so choose.  Cutting Tyrell Williams and Jalen Richard are no brainers and save $15.1M.  Less obvious cuts would be Incognito to save $6.4M and Joyner to save $8.7M.  

Interesting tweet from Gil Brandt

3 times in a 4-year span (2004-07) the Raiders' first-round pick was immediately followed by the drafting of either a first-ballot HOFer or one who will be: 2004: Larry Fitzgerald (Robert Gallery) 2005: Aaron Rodgers (Fabian Washington) 2006: Calvin Johnson (JaMarcus Russell)

Ouch!

3 times in a 4-year span (2004-07) the Raiders' first-round pick was immediately followed by the drafting of either a first-ballot HOFer or one who will be: 2004: Larry Fitzgerald (Robert Gallery) 2005: Aaron Rodgers (Fabian Washington) 2006: Calvin Johnson (JaMarcus Russell)

Ouch!
Excuse me while I go throw up and then drop in the fetal position to cry like a baby.  Why have the Raiders drafted so poorly for decades?   It’s almost like they are not trying. 

Ouch!
Why would you share this????

SDJohnny said:
Clear cap and get value back on it. It makes too much sense.... which means a bunch of Raiders fans will poo poo it. 

(see guys, I can be negative too!)

ICON211 said:
I think they can afford him if they so choose.  Cutting Tyrell Williams and Jalen Richard are no brainers and save $15.1M.  Less obvious cuts would be Incognito to save $6.4M and Joyner to save $8.7M.  
They can.... cuts are coming. Incognito is possible but then we NEED to resign Good and that will likely make that a wash. 

Joyner is most likely going but I wonder about if we moved him to FS.... it seems to me that that is his natural position and could excel. On the other end, he is nearly 30 and I think there are some FS that have been good in this defense that are FA. 

However, swinging back into affording Mariota. Yes, they can do it but there is a cost. We don't have the room to have that luxury when we can invest it in the defense and even more so when we are not talking about cutting him but we are talking about trading him and getting more value in return. 

No brainer. 

Users who are viewing this thread