What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (8 Viewers)

From NFL.com: I was fascinated to see which way these Raiders would go after the head coach's abrupt exit, and boy did they ever answer the bell. It's one thing to preach focus and togetherness in the immediate wake of a shocking resignation, but it's quite another to travel to Mile High blow past the Broncos to create a tie with the Chargers for first place in the AFC West. What a performance!

Derek Carr set the tone on the very first drive of the game with a beautiful, 48-yard touchdown pass to Henry Ruggs III. The quarterback continues to prove bullheaded doubters wrong, torching Vic Fangio's for 341 yards and two touchdowns on just 27 attempts. That's a whopping 12.6 yards per throw -- remember when people said Carr couldn't throw downfield? Meanwhile, Las Vegas' defense racked up four takeaways and five sacks, with Maxx Crosby returning to dominant form. The Raiders entered the fourth quarter with an eye-popping 31-10 lead before eventually prevailing 34-24.

Long story short, these Raiders are 1-0 without Gruden. Where will interim coach Rich Bisaccia lead the Silver and Black from this point on? Can't wait to see. But for a moment, let's just marvel at how the Raiders performed on Sunday, at the end of a very long and trying week for the franchise.

i hadn't seen that cbs article.  wouldn't it be amazing if he did what he'd said he was going to do and not take the money it it didn't work out?

heavy isn't the best source, imho, and is often super negative towards the raiders.   :shrug:  
Just the first ibe I came to that said the same things... the main info seems to be from Jason La Canfora who is solid and dependable. Many have picked up ftom there. 

Here is the CBS piece written by Jason:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-owner-mark-davis-believes-nfl-is-out-to-get-raiders-lawsuits-over-gruden-email-leaks-possible/

I know I’m cancer here....but from the outside and division rivalry point of view, this period of time is one of the best things that has happened for you and could really be a turning point....don’t worry about people like me that may come and try to rub your nose in stuff... and then others with all the Gruden stuff as some indictment on your franchise...most of you in here as true Raider fans, saw through the whole Gruden thing from the get go....hate to say it (although I did before)....but you have some talent on both sides of the ball.....Gruden leaving may very well be the deep breath that the franchise as a whole needed to take.... from Carr to the front office....to the 53 rd guy on the roster.....feels like a good time to relax....and feels like your players played like that on Sunday.....a weight lifted can have many positive results....you guys are in a better place today then you were 8 days ago....enjoy.....just not too much and sweep my boys this year... :suds: ......

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I’m cancer here....but from the outside and division rivalry point of view, this period of time is one of the best things that has happened for you and could really be a turning point....don’t worry about people like me that may come and try to rub your nose in all the Gruden stuff as some indictment on your franchise...most of you in here as true Raider fans, saw through the whole Gruden thing from the get go....hate to say it (although I did before)....but you have some talent on both sides of the ball.....Gruden leaving may very well be the deep breath that the franchise as a whole needed to take from Carr to the front office....to the 53 rd guy on the roster.....feels like a good time to relax....and feels like your players played like that on Sunday.....a weight lifted can have may positive results....you guys are in a better place today then you were 8 days ago....enjoy.....just not too much and sweep my boys this year... :suds: ......
Fair play...looking forward to some fun competitive contests 

I know I’m cancer here....but from the outside and division rivalry point of view, this period of time is one of the best things that has happened for you and could really be a turning point....don’t worry about people like me that may come and try to rub your nose in all the Gruden stuff as some indictment on your franchise...most of you in here as true Raider fans, saw through the whole Gruden thing from the get go....hate to say it (although I did before)....but you have some talent on both sides of the ball.....Gruden leaving may very well be the deep breath that the franchise as a whole needed to take from Carr to the front office....to the 53 rd guy on the roster.....feels like a good time to relax....and feels like your players played like that on Sunday.....a weight lifted can have may positive results....you guys are in a better place today then you were 8 days ago....enjoy.....just not too much and sweep my boys this year... :suds: ......
:banned:   

i agree

desmond trufant signed.  🤔
We gave workouts today to DJ Hayden, Darqueze Dennard, DJ Fluker and Chris Slayton. I guess they didn't like what they say in Hayden and Dennard and signed Trufant. I read Teamer spent time at CB during the game which is not good. I don't know how Facyson or Nixon did. Robertson is such an enigma as he is built to be a good slot corner but apparently can't play the position and against bigger/taller WR's is so small that he can be worked. Trufant isn't a game changer but we do need depth at CB until Arnette and especially Mullen are back. Smells like a rental to me. 

Pro Football Focus:

“Leatherwood continued to play at guard after beginning the season at right tackle and drowning in that role. He has been markedly better at guard, which is not to say good. He surrendered two total pressures from 30 pass-blocking snaps this week against Denver, the first time he has been as low as two pressures since Week 2. Leatherwood earned his best PFF pass-blocking grade of the season this week (62.3) and the only one that has topped 50.0. Whether he is a long-term tackle remains to be seen, but it seems likely Leatherwood will stay at guard in the short term given how much better he has been.”

Take a look at the latest power rankings following the Raiders' 34-24 win over the Broncos.

NFL.com

Current ranking: 15

Previous ranking: 18

Analysis: "The Raiders delivered their most impressive all-around performance of the season in a 34-24 whooping of the Broncos. Interim coach Rich Bisaccia had the team ready on both sides of the ball: The Vegas defensive line battered Teddy Bridgewater all day, while Derek Carr continued to make sweet music with Henry Ruggs and his underrated collection of playmakers."

ESPN

Current ranking: 13

Previous ranking: 17

Analysis: "It was truly the Raiders' most complete game of the season – and when they needed it most."

Bleacher Report

Current ranking: 15

Previous ranking: 18

Analysis: "It was a contest dominated by Las Vegas on both sides of the ball. Derek Carr threw for 341 yards and two scores, while the Raiders defense picked off Teddy Bridgewater three times and sacked him five times."

CBS Sports

Current ranking: 11

Previous ranking: 14

Analysis: "They beat up on Denver without Gruden, who resigned last week... That says a lot about this team."

Yahoo Sports

Current ranking: 14

Previous ranking: 19

Analysis: "Derek Carr was great, Henry Ruggs continues to grow as a deep threat, Maxx Crosby's three sacks led a defense that shut down the Broncos. That was a great performance."

Raiders CB Nate Hobbs highest-ranked rookie defensive back through Week 6

Marcus Mosher 

October 19, 2021

Another week, another strong performance by Nate Hobbs. The rookie cornerback continues to be among the best defenders for the Raiders. Hobbs allowed just 40 yards on six targets, most of which occurred late in the game.

Through six weeks, he has yet to allow a big play or a score. For a Day 3 rookie to play 318 snaps and not allow an explosive play or a touchdown is highly impressive.

In a recent article by Pro Football Focus, they listed the top-15 rookies so far this season. Not surprisingly, Hobbs made the list, coming in at No. 6.

But what is impressive is that he is the site’s highest-graded rookie defensive back. Here is what the site had to say about the talented cornerback from Illinois:

“Hobbs already looks like one of the best slot cornerbacks in the league, and he’s done a terrific job of limiting yards after the catch for Gus Bradley’s defense. His 25 targets have resulted in only 10 first downs so far. More importantly, he’s yet to allow a score. He looks like another win for Mike Mayock on Day 3.”

Hobbs is currently the fifth-highest graded cornerback in the NFL. And while we are here, his teammate in Casey Hayward Jr. is ranked at No. 1. They have been fantastic together and just haven’t allowed much at all to opposing receivers.

Every single week, the selection of Hobbs in the fifth round is looking better and better. It’s time to give some credit to Mike Mayock and the scouting department for nailing this pick.

Exert from an article last week that I thought was interesting...

After Gruden stepped down, sources say Bisaccia quickly put his stamp on the program with a number of player-friendly changes, such as moving back the team's daily schedule to start a little later, reducing the number of plays per period in practice and spending less time on artificial turf (which players roundly dislike compared to grass).

We gave workouts today to DJ Hayden, Darqueze Dennard, DJ Fluker and Chris Slayton. I guess they didn't like what they say in Hayden and Dennard and signed Trufant. I read Teamer spent time at CB during the game which is not good. I don't know how Facyson or Nixon did. Robertson is such an enigma as he is built to be a good slot corner but apparently can't play the position and against bigger/taller WR's is so small that he can be worked. Trufant isn't a game changer but we do need depth at CB until Arnette and especially Mullen are back. Smells like a rental to me. 
facyson and nixon played decently.    amik almost had a pick, really early in the game.  it would have been a pick 6 if he makes it.  other than that, he got torched.  as you said, he's too small.  trufant is merely depth for the rest of the year.  i don't think any of the dbs got hurt in denver. :oldunsure:

Exert from an article last week that I thought was interesting...

After Gruden stepped down, sources say Bisaccia quickly put his stamp on the program with a number of player-friendly changes, such as moving back the team's daily schedule to start a little later, reducing the number of plays per period in practice and spending less time on artificial turf (which players roundly dislike compared to grass).
this is not a shock at all. gruden was out of touch.  been saying it for years

good for coach b.

Raiders CB Nate Hobbs highest-ranked rookie defensive back through Week 6

Marcus Mosher 

October 19, 2021

Another week, another strong performance by Nate Hobbs. The rookie cornerback continues to be among the best defenders for the Raiders. Hobbs allowed just 40 yards on six targets, most of which occurred late in the game.

12 of the 40 yards allowed by Hobbs were on the play where he nearly intercepted the ball, but the player was ruled down by contact before the turn over occurred after a review.

(11:42) (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater pass short left intended for K.Hinton INTERCEPTED by N.Hobbs at LV 13. N.Hobbs to LV 13 for no gain (K.Hinton). The Replay Official reviewed the interception ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater pass short left to K.Hinton to LV 12 for 12 yards (N.Hobbs)

Love the win this week and hope it can be sustained.

I am not sure if it is entirely as common as I remember it to be but don't teams often rally around an interim head coach initially before the other shoe drops?

Of course coaches are typically fired in-season because the team is terrible so they naturally end up somewhere around the level of their talent. 

I don't think the Raiders fit that mold because they have talent, almost no depth outside the defensive line, but plenty of front end talent. So maybe the other shoe doesn't drop?

IDK, I just don't want to be too hopeful after one really nice win.

I am not sure if it is entirely as common as I remember it to be but don't teams often rally around an interim head coach initially before the other shoe drops?

Of course coaches are typically fired in-season because the team is terrible so they naturally end up somewhere around the level of their talent. 

I don't think the Raiders fit that mold because they have talent, almost no depth outside the defensive line, but plenty of front end talent. So maybe the other shoe doesn't drop?

I think the team rallies around Coach B (or Biscuit's as referred to by some of my buddies) for the remainder of the season.   As you mentioned the reason for this interim head coach opportunity is very much different the majority of other situations where a team has been eliminated from playoff contention and the remaining coaching staff is left to pick up the pieces of a failed season.

Mayock said the right things at his first presser.  The team echoed it in comments from the HC and Carr about the job not being done.   Feels like the team is aligned on their common goals for this season. 

The team may have been lucky enough to have a well respected coach waiting in the shadows to fill this void.  

12 of the 40 yards allowed by Hobbs were on the play where he nearly intercepted the ball, but the player was ruled down by contact before the turn over occurred after a review.
How does an intereception turn into a reception for 12 yards? Was it like one of those they both catch at the same time things?

Dj fluker signed to the PS. Let’s hope he has something left in the tank. Some much need OL depth!
Guess they liked what they saw. It likely is a signing to PS to get him to speed. I don't think he is a player you sign to the PS for development. So, as long as he catches up on things likely will be called up. 

ETA: I did not realize he was on a 6 game suspension which explains why he wasn't signed. PS to get him into football shape and up to speed... I have a feeling he will be replacing Parker at RT in a few weeks. 

I think the team loves Bisaccia and he is, by many accounts, a great leader. Does he have the ability to handle all the aspect of being a HC? I don't know.... but if you give me a great leader and a team that loves that leader and that is all he is while having good coaches around him that know the technical aspects then you will see a lot of wins from that team.

Olsen has been around the league as an OC and QB coach for a while... he had basically no talent on offense to work with in 2013 and not that much better in 2014 with a rookie Carr and very little else. Same in Jax, though better, still not overflowing with talent and Bortles as QB. He has a system that Gruden put in that he has worked with for the last 3 years and now can adjust and add his own flavor (apparently that included simplifying a few things like drops) and his play calling (have we done a screen past in the last 2 years?). I think Olsen is competent and can handle the offense and from Bisaccia it is also an open input from guys like Cable. 

Bradley was brought in to fix this defense and he has done it. Life likely hasn't changed much for him whether under Gruden or Bisaccia. 

I do find it kind of humorous that you hear Bisaccia talk about ST's more than your typical HC after the game which they tend to only mention if it changed the game good or bad or asked a question.  

Teamer to IR
Not expected to keep him out longer than 3 weeks. I like him. Versatile being able to play both S and CB if pressed into service, had time in the system under Bradley and adds as a special teamer (couldn't resist). 

On a more positive note... Hankins back practicing. 

Not good...

Edwards was limited at practice Wednesday due to a hamstring injury, Paul Gutierrez of ESPN.com reports.

In addition, Henry Ruggs (knee) was limited Wednesday, but the Raiders haven't indicated that either wideout will be at risk of sitting out this weekend against the Eagles. Edwards caught two of his four targets for 67 yards in this past Sunday's 34-24 win over the Broncos.

https://heavy.com/sports/las-vegas-raiders/kenyan-drake-usage-jon-gruden/

Some interesting insight here... 

First, apparently players not being happy about how Drake was being used... not sure if that means Jacobs or more than Jacobs. 

Second, that this was primarily a Mayock signing and Gruden went along... however, I seem to remember there being talk about Drake wanting to come to the Raiders because of talking to Gruden and how they would use him but I could be wrong about that. 

How does an intereception turn into a reception for 12 yards? Was it like one of those they both catch at the same time things?
Bingo!  In real time it looked like Hobbs snagged it out of his hands.  With the slow motion replay it was pretty clear that the WR had control first and was down with contact before Hobbs got control. 

Whoops - didn't see @DA RAIDERS had already responded... 

Said the Chinese farmer "We shall see."

But I really hope so.
i realize that i'm in the "be careful what you wish for" position. :pickle:  

to me, gruden was a joke.  the way it went down wasn't the best, but he gone now.  i'll bet we keep seeing more and more players speak up about what a clown gruden was, now that the 100M dollar man is gone.  they can speak freely.  all of his histrionics on the sidelines, dropping F bomb after F bomb, had to get old.  quick.  

it will be interesting if mayock ever reveals what happened on draft days.  mayock is a pro, so probably not.  but if he gets canned at the end of the season, i could see some truth coming out.

DA RAIDERS said:

to me, gruden was a joke.  the way it went down wasn't the best, but he gone now.  i'll bet we keep seeing more and more players speak up about what a clown gruden was, now that the 100M dollar man is gone.  they can speak freely.  all of his histrionics on the sidelines, dropping F bomb after F bomb, had to get old.  quick.  

it will be interesting if mayock ever reveals what happened on draft days.  mayock is a pro, so probably not.  but if he gets canned at the end of the season, i could see some truth coming out.
I dont think the players will openly dis Gruden, that would divide the locker room . Clearly Carr loves Gruden as im sure others do as well . I hope they dont ,who needs the negative distractions.

DA RAIDERS said:

Your last paragraph is what I'm curious about as well. Pretty sure Mayock is sticking around. I can't wait to see how different the draft will look without Gruden around. 

I dont think the players will openly dis Gruden, that would divide the locker room . Clearly Carr loves Gruden as im sure others do as well . I hope they dont ,who needs the negative distractions.
You can still like a boss and not like some stuff they do. I don't think it is an all or nothing thing with Gruden and players. I don't get the sense that the players didn't like him or didn't want him to be coach. Clearly Jacobs prefers the sideline as it is now. There was some talk about liking how Drake is being used now versus before (which seemingly is another Jacobs comment). I also posted about some changes Bisaccia made right away that were different. That being said, I did not get the sense that there was an overwhelming sense of relief and joy from the players that Gruden was gone. I have seen no reporting of concrete evidence of this. The nearest is people saying what they think was happening in the locker room and vague comments about how the players reacted to the emails. I think that Nassib, for example, was shook and took a day off to process because he liked Gruden and then the emails were presenting him in a way he didn't know Gruden. I mean, if Nassib didn't like Gruden and wanted him out then it would have been all happy, joy, joy and no need to take a day off. I think some comments on the board here is more about projecting the writers feelings than an objective reading of the situation. 

Your last paragraph is what I'm curious about as well. Pretty sure Mayock is sticking around. I can't wait to see how different the draft will look without Gruden around. 
Mayock isn't going anywhere... at least not this year. If they fold and don't make the playoffs then he will be on the hot seat for next year but I don't see Davis sweeping the front office out too on top of this with Gruden. I think Mayock is entrenched. Bisaccia has the job to lose. If we make playoffs then Bisaccia will have the job. If we don't make playoffs then I think they will interview (and depending on how badly we miss playoffs include Bisaccia in there). Mayock isn't one to say things he doesn't mean and he freaking loves Bisaccia. Mayock still the GM means Bisaccia very much has this job unless the team just crumbles. If he continues leading the team and it performs like it did against the Donkey's consistently through the year then it will be Mayock and Bisaccia next year.

DA RAIDERS said:

Im 100% sure this team was never going to the SB under Gruden.  This season was going to end like last few with losses piling up.   Gruden put together a great O but was horrible at evaluating talent.  His leadership was questionable and we may learn it was horrible. 

Davis may choose another idiot as HC but at least there is a chance that he finds a smart, effective leader of men.  I’m excited for the future of the Raiders and don’t miss Gruden at all.

You can still like a boss and not like some stuff they do. I don't think it is an all or nothing thing with Gruden and players. I don't get the sense that the players didn't like him or didn't want him to be coach. Clearly Jacobs prefers the sideline as it is now. There was some talk about liking how Drake is being used now versus before (which seemingly is another Jacobs comment). I also posted about some changes Bisaccia made right away that were different. That being said, I did not get the sense that there was an overwhelming sense of relief and joy from the players that Gruden was gone. I have seen no reporting of concrete evidence of this. The nearest is people saying what they think was happening in the locker room and vague comments about how the players reacted to the emails. I think that Nassib, for example, was shook and took a day off to process because he liked Gruden and then the emails were presenting him in a way he didn't know Gruden. I mean, if Nassib didn't like Gruden and wanted him out then it would have been all happy, joy, joy and no need to take a day off. I think some comments on the board here is more about projecting the writers feelings than an objective reading of the situation. 
imho, nassib simply not wanting to answer all the stupid questions, that were sure to be lobbed his way, was reason enough to not want to come in.  and he's not going to act the fool, if he was ecstatic with the resignation.  he seems too smart for that.  even if he felt that way.

and these guys are pros.  some are smarter than others and will keep their mouths shut.  others will spill the beans.  it's been a week.  give it some time.  i'm sure more will surface.  good and bad.

the bolded made me laugh.  your unbridled optimism, often makes me wonder what you're smoking.  and that i need some!!

Mayock isn't going anywhere... at least not this year. If they fold and don't make the playoffs then he will be on the hot seat for next year but I don't see Davis sweeping the front office out too on top of this with Gruden. I think Mayock is entrenched. Bisaccia has the job to lose. If we make playoffs then Bisaccia will have the job. If we don't make playoffs then I think they will interview (and depending on how badly we miss playoffs include Bisaccia in there). Mayock isn't one to say things he doesn't mean and he freaking loves Bisaccia. Mayock still the GM means Bisaccia very much has this job unless the team just crumbles. If he continues leading the team and it performs like it did against the Donkey's consistently through the year then it will be Mayock and Bisaccia next year.
of course mayock isn't going anywhere this year.  i like mayock.  i want him to stay and see what he does, without the albatross around his neck.  that being said, i'm not overly confident anyone will be back next year.  except maybe bradley.  we'll see.

historically, this damn eagles game, is one that they would utterly blow.  man! i hope they come out hot.

Didn't that article blasting Gruden's drafting portray Ruggs as a bust? Hmm...

Raiders WR Henry Ruggs is making the leap

The young wide receiver has made huge strides from year one to year two

By Marcus-Johnson @TheMarcJohnNFL  Oct 21, 2021, 11:05am PDT  

The Las Vegas Raiders had two first-round picks in 2020, with one expected to be a wide receiver. The top three receivers in the draft were CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, and Henry Ruggs. On draft night, the Raiders had the choice to select the one of their choosing. They left most fans in shock with the selection of Henry Ruggs. The pressure was on Ruggs after the selection, especially to be pro-ready on day one. Ruggs was not pro-ready and needed to put on weight and increase his strength to reach his potential.

Out of the gate, he flashed vs. the Carolina Panthers, but injury derailed him early and never was the same for the season. This led to him being the lowest first-round wide receiver in yards, catches, and targets. People began to write him off as a complete bust.

Flash forward to this season, and Ruggs is an entirely new player. He is 15th in receiver yards and second in deep passing yards using PFF analytics. He is averaging 22.3 yards per catch  :eek:  and is one of the most dynamic young players in football. He and Carr are building a solid relationship of trust, which is in his deep passing numbers where he is second in completion percentage.

What has improved with Ruggs? Let us deep dive and take a look.

Route running

The main area of improvement for Ruggs, of course, is route running. While he is not the most excellent route runner globally, the steady progress is even week-to-week. He understands that teams fear his speed and is using it to his advantage.

[link to article to watch emdedded video clips noted below: Henry Ruggs Making The Leap]

This route is a great example. Ruggs will be working on the dig route on the 3x1 to Carr's right. After the snap, the former Alabama wide receiver uses his speed, forcing Alec Ogletree to open up his hips. Ruggs then uses a quick cut inside and leaves the linebacker in the dust, and Carr displays excellent anticipation on the throw.

The big play vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers is where the speed on deep routes and improved route-running come together. On this one, it is a post route from Ruggs on the choice concept. He hits the corner with a jab step and a veteran arm over when he gets to the top of his stem. It creates separation, and Ruggs blows right by him for the touchdown.

Strength and contested catches.

Ruggs will be fighting the just a speed guy label for a while. Ryan Clark of ESPN once called him a one-trick pony, which is ridiculous. Over the first six games, we have seen the former first-round pick make big plays that we usually see from the top wideouts in the game. According to PFF, Ruggs is second in contested catches :boxing:  on the season. 

Take, for instance, this catch against the Miami Dolphins. Carr wants Ruggs on the post route, and he uses his speed to blow by pro bowler Xavien Howard. The quarterback doesn't want to throw the ball out of bounds. Instead, he puts it up in the air for him a 50/50. Ruggs rewards his QB for the decision and outmuscles a player known for his play strength for the contested catch.

In the same game, we have the four verticals concept with Ruggs on the jet motion. Carr throws this one back should, and Ruggs makes the acrobatic catch on the sideline while keeping his feet in bounds.

Then, of course, there was Week 6 vs. the Broncos. Olson isolates Ruggs on the 3x1, putting him in the x position, and Carr faces cover 0 and an all-out blitz. He tosses the ball in the air for Ruggs. The receiver wins the 50/50 for the significant gain.

These are just a few signs of his growth into what should be a 1000 yard receiver. The haters have calmed down a bit this week after a highlight-filled performance from young wideout. The future is bright outside for Vegas.

Yup. Years past this was a guaranteed trap game loss in my estimation.

Really interested to see what happens this week.

Whatever defensive gameplan they used on the juggernaut that is Lamar Jackson should be re-deployed. That and Carr needs to keep his foot on the gas the entire time, regardless of any lead amount. Any lead three scores or less isn't safe against Hurts.

imho, nassib simply not wanting to answer all the stupid questions, that were sure to be lobbed his way, was reason enough to not want to come in.  and he's not going to act the fool, if he was ecstatic with the resignation.  he seems too smart for that.  even if he felt that way.

and these guys are pros.  some are smarter than others and will keep their mouths shut.  others will spill the beans.  it's been a week.  give it some time.  i'm sure more will surface.  good and bad.

the bolded made me laugh.  your unbridled optimism, often makes me wonder what you're smoking.  and that i need some!!
I have hit on (or hitish) most things that I have said this offseason. The big ones being... beyond this off season into previous years was my defense/championing of Carr from MANY around these parts. I dropped all Facebook Raider groups because I was just sick of the blind moronic Carrbage crap which amounted to "we aren't winning, so Carr sucks". That the defense would be markedly better this year, that the DT's we added would be a difference maker, that Abram would play much better, that Littleton would play better, that Arnette was the man out and seemingly not a fit for this defense, that Kwiat was not a good fit for this defense, that Hayward would be huge, and that Ruggs/Edwards would make big strides in their play. 

My optimism has been in what I have seen. Years past it was always wanting/hoping to see some progress or something... heck, pretty much for the last 20 years. This off season and going into the season it was not just hoping against hope but what I was seeing and reading. 

Now, my big misses... Cle being a big part of the defense still and being moved around on the line... nope. I don't think he has broken higher than 25% of the snaps and hasn't made a significant presence known in those snaps. The Oline... I am not sure this is really a miss but I did say that would be ok. The big caveat to that was losing Good. With both him and Incognito out, I was very worried but I will give it a miss because though I did expect Leatherwood to have the typical rookie issues, he has struggled well beyond being just a rookie. I feel that if Good was on the inside that would have helped him but there is no way for us to know that now. I never made a determination about James either way that I remember, simply stating that they were high on him. I will say he has struggled more than I expected as well though so again, I will call that a miss. And might as well throw Simpson in there, he has struggled more than I expected. 

But I have called my shots on more than a few things and those shots have basically proven true more than not. Say I have unbridled optimism and laugh at it/me, I don't care. If I see poo then I will call it out. I just don't have poo colored glasses like some here.... though I certainly understand the psychology of it after 20 years of watching poo, it totally makes sense that the glasses are colored that way now for some. 

It’s great to see Ruggs pull down the long throws and he has performed a ton better than last year.  Call me crazy but I would still have drafted Lamb over Ruggs and have a true WR1 on the roster.  
Fair. I would like to see what Ruggs could do with 8+ targets/game.

Still their games are so entirely different it is difficult, if not completely unfair to compare them.

Is there a free source for these newfangled metrics I am seeing all over now like "air yards", "route percentages" etc? Is there one for PI yards? I'm sure there is but this internet thing is hard at my age with all the twittoks and whatnots.

I have hit on (or hitish) most things that I have said this offseason. The big ones being... beyond this off season into previous years was my defense/championing of Carr from MANY around these parts. I dropped all Facebook Raider groups because I was just sick of the blind moronic Carrbage crap which amounted to "we aren't winning, so Carr sucks". That the defense would be markedly better this year, that the DT's we added would be a difference maker, that Abram would play much better, that Littleton would play better, that Arnette was the man out and seemingly not a fit for this defense, that Kwiat was not a good fit for this defense, that Hayward would be huge, and that Ruggs/Edwards would make big strides in their play. 

My optimism has been in what I have seen. Years past it was always wanting/hoping to see some progress or something... heck, pretty much for the last 20 years. This off season and going into the season it was not just hoping against hope but what I was seeing and reading. 

Now, my big misses... Cle being a big part of the defense still and being moved around on the line... nope. I don't think he has broken higher than 25% of the snaps and hasn't made a significant presence known in those snaps. The Oline... I am not sure this is really a miss but I did say that would be ok. The big caveat to that was losing Good. With both him and Incognito out, I was very worried but I will give it a miss because though I did expect Leatherwood to have the typical rookie issues, he has struggled well beyond being just a rookie. I feel that if Good was on the inside that would have helped him but there is no way for us to know that now. I never made a determination about James either way that I remember, simply stating that they were high on him. I will say he has struggled more than I expected as well though so again, I will call that a miss. And might as well throw Simpson in there, he has struggled more than I expected. 

But I have called my shots on more than a few things and those shots have basically proven true more than not. Say I have unbridled optimism and laugh at it/me, I don't care. If I see poo then I will call it out. I just don't have poo colored glasses like some here.... though I certainly understand the psychology of it after 20 years of watching poo, it totally makes sense that the glasses are colored that way now for some. 
I've always been right there with you as a Carr backer. There are at least 20 teams that would kill to have DC as their QB. Most fans have never stepped on a football field in their lives and have no clue how the game is played. The QB is just one integral part of the team. As a former center I know from experience, as the Oline goes, so does the offense. If you have no Oline, or injuries on the Oline, the offense will sputter. The whole world saw it last year in the Super Bowl. Brady didn't win that game, the Buc's defense did, all because the Chief's Oline was in shambles. Even Mahomes needs protection up front, nobody is THAT good.

Teams that are physical and win the LOS on both sides of the ball are the good teams in the NFL. That's what funny (well not "funny") about the Raiders in '21. For years we're known for a decent Oline,  and the Dline had always been awful (except for Mack). This year Mayock and Gruden flipped it. They made the Dline the strongest unit and the Oline a "work in progress ". And hows that working out? Pretty good... Why? Because of Derek Carr. 

And while we're calling our shots, if you can go back, I actually nailed the Ruggs pick. Just seemed like such a Raider player, Lamb was the better all around WR and true #1 and probably should have been the pick. But Gruden already had his #1 WR in Waller. 

It’s great to see Ruggs pull down the long throws and he has performed a ton better than last year.  Call me crazy but I would still have drafted Lamb over Ruggs and have a true WR1 on the roster.  
I think it is fair to say you would still have favored Lamb over Ruggs (so far). I also think Ruggs has shown he is a better selection than Jeudy. And I also think that if he continues to improve as he has this season that he has the potential surpass Lamb too in most people's eyes. 

However, as is there is an argument for Ruggs now. So far this season, their stats are comparable.

Lamb 33 receptions, 497 yards. 15.1 average 4 TD's

Ruggs 20 receptions, 445 yards. 22.3 average 2 TD's

I would personally give Lamb the nod for overall better player right now but I think Ruggs brings more to the whole of the offense than Lamb does. The speed Ruggs has forces defenses to adjust to that in a way Lamb doesn't change the oppenents defenses. 

Users who are viewing this thread