What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Combine Decisions Soon (1 Viewer)

Yeah I was just commenting in another thread that without combine and reliable stats from 2020 college season analytics is not going to be very useful to quantifying the ability of these players.

So the tape watchers should have more fun this offseason without all that data getting in the way of their opinions.

I read somewhere that they are going to try and normalize all the testing so that there is a baseline at least. Normal pro-day's are so wild in their results but I hope they can find a way to make it standard. If not we'll have 15 people running 4.3's. 

I understand and support the rationale behind this, but it is still disappointing.  Sure, there is still game film and on-campus Pro Day workouts, but the Scouting Combine creates a level playing field for prospects, running on the same surface and being evaluated compared to other prospects nearly side-by-side.  I agree with @Buckna above that trading back in the middle rounds may prove a rewarding strategy.

Yeah, while the underwear Olympics are not the end all, be all, they do provide some valuable insight. Often the most value I get out of it is by identifying some potential landmines to avoid.

My disappointment for not having a combine is probably different from others.

The workout numbers can for the most part be provided from pro days. I only put the "most part" disclaimer in because the 40 does vary by surface/location but most of the other workout numbers usually don't and I put a good amount of stock in the jumps(especially for RB's) and 3 cone. But I think even using pro day 40's we can get an idea if a guy's just alarmingly slow or the other way.

What I'll miss on the combine is the incredible rumors and chatter as it's usually followed closely with FA.  It's the only time until after the draft we will usually hear any GM or head coach speak but combine is usually chalked full of rumors and tips into insight of decision makers. I'll miss that.

As for the draft itself, and I'll limit this conversation to fantasy relevant positions you got to say the NFL teams by and large were not impacted last year. And I know the lockdowns did not start until March, we got the combine in, but all I read last year was how so many teams had to rely on the tape. If you look at the fantasy skill position picks in top rounds I would conclude NFL teams pretty much nailed it. The first two rounds in particular are super light on disappointing picks.

Of course this year is more challenging due to absolutely no combine  but also because some key players did not play and the schedule was just lighter this year.

Yep, same. Going to be some potential gems late this year at least. Trading back for a more shotgun approach might pay off with more dart throws.
 Agreed. It's a bad year to have loaded up on high picks. I've been slowly converting my 1sts this year into next year 1sts and/or 2nd & 3rd round volume this year. 

Users who are viewing this thread