What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mac Jones, JAX (1 Viewer)

jtd13 said:
That's true. But most of the "I'm hearing it's Mac" talk was from before Darnold was traded. It seems like most people are backing off of that stance now anyway.
I'm confident the Jets have been locked into the qb they like at #2 for a long long time. 

Maybe Mac's agent floated it out there to up his value, maybe the Niners actually are leaning that way.

I'm confident the Jets have been locked into the qb they like at #2 for a long long time. 

Maybe Mac's agent floated it out there to up his value, maybe the Niners actually are leaning that way.
Seeing you post this makes me think we missed out on some real action.  

If the Eagles had taken Mac at #3, that would have been an entertaining situation.  

Yeah, I wasn't clear.

I was imagining Eagles Nation reaction to taking him over Fields, with Hurts on the roster.  The Eagles thread here would be must see TV. 
Sure, but not sure how that has any remote relevance to our discussion on if sf leaked that they wanted Mac at 3 so someone would trade the Jets to take mac at 2. 

QBs don't really "slide" anymore, but lets use the thought exercise that SF does not take Jones.  That likely would make him QB5 to come off the board rather than QB3, but how much farther would he fall?  So Assuming SF goes Fields then it becomes Lance then Jones.  So the first stop is pick 4, Atlanta.  Atlanta likely would take Lance, so Jones continues to fall Past 5, 6, 7, and 8 (unless a trade up happens) and then we hit the Denver Broncos at 9. From there it is pick 15( NE), 19 (WFT) , or 20(Bears) and then after that would be picks 24(Steelers (I doubt this)), 26 (Browns (doubt this as well)),  28 (NO) or 32 (Tampa).

If Lance makes it to 9 I think Denver almost has to take him, so then it would be "Will the Pats take Jones, or does his fall continue?" I'd bet he doesn't make it to 20 no matter what scenario plays out...

QBs don't really "slide" anymore, but lets use the thought exercise that SF does not take Jones.  That likely would make him QB5 to come off the board rather than QB3, but how much farther would he fall?  So Assuming SF goes Fields then it becomes Lance then Jones.  So the first stop is pick 4, Atlanta.  Atlanta likely would take Lance, so Jones continues to fall Past 5, 6, 7, and 8 (unless a trade up happens) and then we hit the Denver Broncos at 9. From there it is pick 15( NE), 19 (WFT) , or 20(Bears) and then after that would be picks 24(Steelers (I doubt this)), 26 (Browns (doubt this as well)),  28 (NO) or 32 (Tampa).

If Lance makes it to 9 I think Denver almost has to take him, so then it would be "Will the Pats take Jones, or does his fall continue?" I'd bet he doesn't make it to 20 no matter what scenario plays out...
You don't think the Lions are in the market to draft a QB?

You don't think the Lions are in the market to draft a QB?
I kind of don’t. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went there, but I think they made that deal with the “let’s give Goff a spin” and if he doesn’t work out then look for a QB in 2022 or 23. 

I kind of don’t. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went there, but I think they made that deal with the “let’s give Goff a spin” and if he doesn’t work out then look for a QB in 2022 or 23. 
Possibly. I could see them seeing Goff as an obvious place holder though, and if someone they like slips, I could see it. 

Someone will trade with Atlanta to take lance, Jones falls out of the top 10
I like Lance more than Jones if he truly can sit a year or two.  He's definitely better for fantasy because of his rushing and in 2019 he threw 28 tds with ZERO interceptions.  I know it was against inferior competition, but that is hard to do nonetheless.  That tells me he's a very smart QB.

I like Lance more than Jones if he truly can sit a year or two.  He's definitely better for fantasy because of his rushing and in 2019 he threw 28 tds with ZERO interceptions.  I know it was against inferior competition, but that is hard to do nonetheless.  That tells me he's a very smart QB.
Yes it’s possible the only think keeping him from being a top 2 QB in this class is his lack of experience- he’s built like the modern day NFL QB.

Deamon said:
Possibly. I could see them seeing Goff as an obvious place holder though, and if someone they like slips, I could see it. 
Fair, because the opportunity will be there (theoretically) but lions have 2 1sts in 2022 and 2023 so they will be in the driver seat so to speak for the next 2 years when it comes to draft capital. While new coach usually equals new qb they have that in Goff (at least this year) and really should use their bounty from the rams to shore up everything else, see if Goff is reclaimable and then see what the next two draft classes look like. 

back to the topic at hand: the lions taking Mac Jones if he falls to them doesn’t seem like the smart play. Not sure how Jones as a prospect compares to what Goff was coming out but I’d likely take Goff over Jones if you offered them to me.

I would like some of you all to articulate why he is bad?

All I see here are people who are obsessed with Justin Fields for fantasy purposes or sour grapes over Tua or want to criticize him for the helmet he wore and can’t wrap their heads around that both are great QB’s. 

All I see here are people who are obsessed with Justin Fields for fantasy purposes or sour grapes over Tua or want to criticize him for the helmet he wore and can’t wrap their heads around that both are great QB’s. 
For me there are a couple of things.  First, and most important in fantasy , he won’t give you anything on the ground.  Second, I doubt his ability to deliver accurately under pressure.  I don’t see him being able to create when he has to.  He obviously didn’t have to do much of that at Alabama.  I’ll add a third and I won’t hold this too much against him, but we’ve only seen one year from him.

He's not bad. He hasn't been bad.  He's a good prospect. 

What's he do better than other QBs? Has the weakest arm of the bunch, has the slowest wheels.  His positives? They are all some variation of this blurb from PFF

There's not one play or throw from Jones that will make you go "wow," but play in and play out he'll get the ball where it needs to go on time. While not super toolsy, his command of the offense and position is impressive.
That's game manager stuff.  The numbers from a LOT of other QBs this year suggest they also get the ball where it needs to go on time.  Command of the offense.....Lance went a whole season as a redshirt freshman without throwing a pick, can we not say he had command of the offense?  Why aren't people going on and on about his command of the offense as a freshman? 

I'm watching Todd McShay on ESPN talk him up, and he spends 30 seconds saying, 'I really like the way he moves in the pocket'.   :rolleyes:   That's lovely, but then show me the other QBs moving poorly in the pocket.  What does that look like, compared to Jones?

I think he and Lance should be ranked a big notch lower than the other three.  Both are one season guys, and Lance did it for ND State, and didn't play last year.  QBs that go top 5 should be fairly bulletproof.

MMQB: 2021 NFL Draft Primer, With 20 Things to Know

Excerpt:

When I had Dilfer on my podcast, he said that Jones has a “twitchy mind,” a reference to how fast he processes and plays. This, so you know, checks out with NFL people. One team told me that it asked him in April to recall the first thing they’d installed with him over predraft meetings, and Jones immediately spit out everything about the play. And remember, at this point of the process, these kids have a lot floating around in their heads, given the number of teams (and other people) they’re talking to. “He’s as smart as advertised,” said one exec. “I’d say borderline genius when it comes to football.”

And in spite of his gaudy stats, there are questions about his throwing ability. His passes lack the zip that other prospects’ passes have, and there’s truth to the notion that playing at Alabama made Jones’s job easy. Pro Football Focus noted that only 44 of Jones’s completions last season were into what is considered “tight” coverage. Benjamin Solak of The Draft Network found that Jones threw a higher percentage of passes to his first read than any other quarterback in this draft class—and was worse than any other on throws where he couldn’t hit his first read.
 Both these points go to the decision-making we keep hearing about.  These were tough decisions?  

More than any other QB, Jones made the difficult decision to throw the ball to the 1st round draft pick that was his first read.   :lol:

Both these points go to the decision-making we keep hearing about.  These were tough decisions?  

More than any other QB, Jones made the difficult decision to throw the ball to the 1st round draft pick that was his first read.   :lol:
Yes, Bama is loaded with weapons but in the SEC and then the Championship tournament, he’s also facing NFL level defenders.

Yes, Bama is loaded with weapons but in the SEC and then the Championship tournament, he’s also facing NFL level defenders.
He may end up being a great NFL qb for all I know, but from a fantasy perspective, he can't run, only has one year to his resume, had better time to throw than most, and had weapons galore who could make him look better than he is.  The main thing with me is that I don't think he will be great for fantasy, but I could be wrong.  I prefer Lance, Fields, and Wilson over Jones.

He may end up being a great NFL qb for all I know, but from a fantasy perspective, he can't run, only has one year to his resume, had better time to throw than most, and had weapons galore who could make him look better than he is.  The main thing with me is that I don't think he will be great for fantasy, but I could be wrong.  I prefer Lance, Fields, and Wilson over Jones.
I wasn’t discussing his fantasy prospects.

Like any player there are some outlier opinions (some nefarious, some not), but the criticisms laid his way aren't because he's a bad quarterback. He showed in 2020 that he is an extremely effective QB when put in a position to be successful. There is no evidence that he can be the same QB in a suboptimal situation though. And that's the reality in the NFL - good QB's must over come constantly changing obstacles and there's only reason to question his ability to do that.

On schedule there is not a more reliable QB available in this draft, but off schedule he is :shrug: .

Broadway Joe hinted that Jets should take Jones, that another slow footed guy ended up winning 7 SBs....
Says the guy that wouldn't be in the HOF if not for Jan 12, 1969.  Now we're bringing Tom Brady into the discussion.  The draft can't get here soon enough.  Have another drink Joe. Sorry, I know you supposedly quit after the Suzie Kolber fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Says the guy that wouldn't be in the HOF if not for Jan 12, 1969.  Now we're bringing Tom Brady into the discussion.  The draft can't get here soon enough.  Have another drink Joe. Sorry, I know you supposedly quit after the Suzie Kolber fiasco.
Man that was sooooo painful and embarrassing to watch. I saw it live and will never forget that. 

Do you think he will be available at 15?  Or can the Patriots move up a few spots?  I believe the latter has to happen.
I think that the chances that Mac Jones will fall to the Patriots at pick number 15 are fairly slim, so if they want him then a trade up will be necessary.

NFL experts on 49ers’ draft dilemma: ‘Mac Jones is really Garoppolo, you know’

There’s keeping up with the Joneses. Then there’s keeping up with the Mac Jones rumors. 

Once mock drafts and national reporters began connecting Jones to the 49ers, fans fumed. 

They figured the 49ers traded up to the NFL Draft’s No. 3 slot to update their software, to finally join the ranks of having a mobile, dual-threat quarterback (as if they’d forgotten Colin Kaepernick’s 2011-16 era). 

How dare the 49ers take a pocket passer, like so many of Kyle Shanahan’s past quarterbacks, much less one missing the charm and movie star looks of Jimmy Garoppolo? Yet Jones is Garoppolo 2.0?

Well, a week from today, the 49ers could bypass Jones’ national championship pedigree from Alabama. They could take Ohio State’s Justin Fields or North Dakota State’s Trey Lance. That all assumes Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence and BYU’s Zach Wilson are snatched up first by the Jacksonville Jaguars and the New York Jets. 

To help 49ers’ fans envision Jones’ compatibility, here is a panel of NFL experts offering their foresight (the second of our three-part series QB2021 Vision):

The offensive coach view

Steve Mariucci

Mariucci is the 49ers’ fourth-winningest coach (57-39 from 1997-2002). He’s coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks Brett Favre and Steve Young. Mariucci is in his 16th year as an NFL Network analyst.

“Maybe Mac Jones is most ready to start right now in a conventional offense, and he did that in Alabama. He could be that Matt Ryan-type guy, play from the pocket, play-action pass, not make lot mistakes, complete a lot passes, be very steady.”

The defensive coach view

Wade Phillips

Phillips faced Shanahan’s 49ers as the Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator from 2017-19 and he’s coached NFL defenses since 1976, including head-coaching stints with Denver, Dallas and Houston.

“Mac Jones is really Garoppolo, you know. He’s not a runner, so I’m sure they’d feel comfortable with that. It’d be similar to what they’ve been doing. 

“A 77-percent completion (rate), it’s hard to pass on that. Everybody wants a Tom Brady, obviously. If they can’t really run, you want a Tom Brady. But Garoppolo did some good things for them; they won a lot of games with him. 

“If they can get that type guy that’s consistent, doesn’t throw interceptions, run the ball well and play good defense, they can win games. They’ve proven that.”

The game-film view

Greg Cosell

Cosell is a senior producer at NFL Films and an analyst for ESPN’s NFL Matchup show.

“He doesn’t have a big arm, but in structure and timing, he can throw vertical balls. He can’t sit on his back foot and drive the ball downfield. Fields and Lance can. … Jones can throw posts, fades, throws that are within the timing of a play. A lot of those throws are spot throws. 

“(The offense) won’t look different (depending on the quarterback). It’ll come different if the play demands it. Say it’s third-and-9 and they don’t pick up the blitz; Mac won’t have something to do, and Field and Lance will have something.”

The general manager view

Mark Dominik

Dominik worked in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ personnel department from 1997-2013, overlapping with John Lynch’s playing days and eventually serving as the Bucs’ GM for five years. He hosts a Sirius/XM NFL Radio show Fridays.

“Mac Jones is more accurate than both those other quarterbacks. I think that’s a big part of why he is kind of, to me, the leader in the clubhouse. 

“With Mac Jones, he brings the processing we’ve already seen at a high level. A lot of people beat up Mac Jones because (of) who he played with. Justin Fields played with a lot of good players, too. I like Justin, too. I work with a lot of young kids pre-draft. I’m telling you these Alabama kids love Mac Jones and I think there’s a good reason why. 

“With Mac Jones, and the reason I still think he’s going No. 3, is a lot of good information coming out of San Francisco. We’re now acting like quarterbacks that run 4.7-flat are bad athletes. That’s kind of a shock. He’s not a bad athlete. He’s just not as fast. It doesn’t make him a bad athlete. Don’t get that confused from a guy that can’t fit Kyle Shanahan’s system.” 

The scout view

Gil Brandt

Brandt entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame two years ago. He became a full-time scout with the 49ers in 1958-59 before 29 years in the Dallas Cowboys’ personnel department. He is a weeknight host on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Jones has got ‘it.’ No one knows what ‘it’ is but he knows how to get the ball to the right guys. He’s been very well coached coming in.” 

The quarterback view

Jeff Garcia

Garcia, by way of San Jose State and the Canadian Football League, began his 11-year NFL career with the 49ers from (1999-2003). He’s been an NBC Sports Bay Area analyst since 2017.

“He’s a solid quarterback. He’s someone who could grasp the style of offense, operate the offense, play within the parameters of the offense. Everything he brings from an intellectual side to the capabilities, the arm ability, the consistency, the accuracy, the leadership qualities. Those are very good things he brings to the table. 

“He does have his limitations. He has solid pocket awareness but he’s not a guy who’ll bring great escapability, much like someone Kyle’s worked with in the past, like Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo. They’ve shown they’re capable to succeed and do what’s asked of them. What they don’t have is the ability to extend plays when everything else breaks down around you. 

“Mac Jones is not as athletic as what you have in a Fields or a Lance, and I think that’s where your major differences are going to be. 

“When you look at what they have with Jimmy G, you already have a Mac Jones style of QB. … Bringing on a Mac Jones, yes, it would be fairly smooth in the transition, in you’d have a similar guy you already have, but is that the road we want to go down when you see what’s around the NFL, and you see a Russell Wilson in how he can make plays, when you see what Texans have in Watson, what Mahomes does in Kansas City?” 

The college football view

Kirk Herbstreit

Herbstreit is a fixture on ESPN’s College GameDay and has split time as a game analyst during his 25 years at the network. He played quarterback at Ohio State from 1989-92.

“Mac Jones would be, on paper, a great fit in that system. The one thing that blew me away about Mac Jones — and that’s looking at him and all the quarterbacks this year — is how his ability coming out of Steve Sarkisian’s offense, and Sark was in Atlanta with Matt Ryan running it as a coordinator. But to watch Mac Jones process information and how quickly he thinks and how quickly the ball gets out, man, there’s a lot to like about that part of his game. 

“… The guys that make it, they go to the right fit, the right system, and they’re lucky enough to play for a Sean Payton. They’re lucky enough to play for an Andy Reid. We would never know who Joe Montana was if he didn’t play for Bill Walsh and playing a West Coast offense for the 49ers, and I don’t think having talented players around you should be a knock on you at all. 

“Mac Jones, he’s a surgeon. He probably processes as quickly as anybody that’s coming out in this draft. I mean by processing: recognizing pre-snap coverage if they change coverage at the snap of the ball, being able to instantly know where to go with the ball without any hesitation. That to me is the secret sauce.”

The draftnik view

Mel Kiper Jr., Daniel Jeremiah

Kiper has led ESPN’s NFL Draft analysis since 1984. Jeremiah is in his 10th year at NFL Network after scouting for the Ravens, Browns and Eagles.

Kiper: “If you want the pocket guy who’s incredibly smart and can maneuver in the pocket extremely well, accurate to every level, off-the-charts intelligence, it would be Mac Jones. I think the smarts and the accuracy is why it would tip the scales to Mac Jones.” 

Jeremiah: “I don’t think he fits all the teams that are in the quarterback market. But I understand why the 49ers value what he does, because this is really an opportunity for San Francisco to duplicate what Mac Jones had at Alabama, which is you have a really good offensive line, you’ve got guys that can win one-on-one match-ups all over the field, and you’ve got a very creative play-caller that’s going to find those match-ups and then rely on an accurate, efficient quarterback to function in that system. 

“Every other team doesn’t have all those things in place, so they’re not going to value Mac the way Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch might value him. That’s a little bit where that disconnect is. Look, if he goes to the 49ers, he’s going to play well, he’s going to be a really good player there.” 

The skinny on Jones

— Set NCAA record with a 77.4 completion percentage while throwing for 4,500 yards, 41 touchdowns and four interceptions in his first full season as starter. Won Davey O’Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Manning awards. 

— Michael McCorkle Jones grew up in Jacksonville before spending four seasons at Alabama. The 6-foot-2 1/2, 217-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.82 seconds. He initially sat behind future NFL starters Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa. 

— He was arrested his freshman year for suspicion of driving under the influence, as well as having an “improper ID by a minor,” after being involved in a non-injury car accident. 

— Shanahan and 49ers GM John Lynch attended Jones’ pro day March 30, to which Jones told NFL Network: “I’m really happy that they came. The trade is the trade. Hopefully, I impressed them. I would love to get a chance to play anywhere in the NFL, but obviously with a great franchise like that.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking with The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, an anonymous NFL QB coach said that Alabama QB Mac Jones was "substantially better in the interviews" than any other quarterback.

And this coach isn't just a fan of Mac Jones' gray matter. He waxed poetic at length regarding the Bama gunslinger, telling Feldman, "Mac is processing. He’s accurate. He’s layering it. He has pinpoint accuracy and throws with anticipation." The coach also noted one distinction between Jones and BYUI's Zach Wilson: While he called Wilson's arm talent "freaky," that freakiness fails to come with the same awesome accuracy of Jones.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 21, 2021, 12:44 PM ET

ESPN's Mike Tannenbaum compared Alabama QB Mac Jones to Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan.

"Jones has good but not great arm strength and is extremely accurate," Tannenbaum writes. "The Alabama signal-caller also shows underrated movement traits in the pocket and can run boots/rollouts effectively." If Jones actually did pan out as a Ryan-esque quarterback, he would absolutely be worth the No. 3 pick owned by the 49ers (and of course, Kyle Shanahan coached Ryan in Atlanta). But that's a high, high ceiling to actually hit. Ryan has been one of the most consistent quarterbacks in the NFL over the course of his pro career. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Apr 22, 2021, 1:21 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread