What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 NFL Free Agency Thread (2 Viewers)

Tom Cable has had the Raider OL humming ever since he arrived, despite a myriad of injuries to the starting five. They re-signed Incognito who was their best lineman in the past two years until he got hurt last year - supposedly he's healthy now. And they re-signed Denzel Good, who had been rock solid as a backup, turned many-weeks spot starter at both OG and RT during the last two years.

Trent Brown was a beast during his first year with the Raiders but quickly turned into an out of shape turnip last year. Gabe Jackson was decent last year, but horrible the year prior, and has never repeated his rookie contract play, since signing his big extension. The only OL the Raiders dumped that was living up to his contract was Hudson. He's been a rock at C, but even he was looking worn down 2nd half of last year and wasn't generating any push in the running game. And they are supposedly really high on his backup (now the starter) - a 3rd yr UDFA from UCLA named Andre James. He performed really well in one start for Hudson in the last two years, but who knows what he'll bring to the first team.

The Raider OL was stout the last two years because of its depth. That depth is now turning into starters, and they have a hole at RT that is TBD to be filled. They drafted a 4th rd guard last year that they're also super high on named John Simpson. Perhaps he starts opposite Incognito and Good slides to starting RT. Decent chance they take an OL or two in the draft now too.

I'm not seeing quite the doom & gloom I'm reading in this thread, but time will tell.

Random thought. Fournette and Carson still loom as well as a few other spares but right now it's looking like we'll enter the draft with more prime RB openings then I can recall.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

#Texans speedy FA WR Will Fuller is signing a 1-year deal with the #Dolphins, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. A big-time deep threat.

12:53 PM · Mar 18, 2021

Random thought. Fournette and Carson still loom as well as a few other spares but right now it's looking like we'll enter the draft with more prime RB openings then I can recall.
I think they’ll still land - Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, and the Jets could all still make moves.

I think they’ll still land - Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, and the Jets could all still make moves.
That's my point, you just listed 4 and there are not 4 starter quality RB's left IMO. By my count we got two left and no guarantee they even fill those spots and you left out places like Pittsburgh. We will have openings like I can't recall.

That's my point, you just listed 4 and there are not 4 starter quality RB's left IMO. By my count we got two left and no guarantee they even fill those spots and you left out places like Pittsburgh. We will have openings like I can't recall.
Good call about Pittsburgh. I’d say Carson, Fournette and Conner are starting caliber. That said, many teams may not view them that way and go the rookie route. So you’re right - these types of guys may just serve to muddy up some incumbent situations.

Good call about Pittsburgh. I’d say Carson, Fournette and Conner are starting caliber. That said, many teams may not view them that way and go the rookie route. So you’re right - these types of guys may just serve to muddy up some incumbent situations.
I don't see Conner that way, don't think he is any good and that's why Pittsburgh is making no effort to resign him, just think he's a backup level talent.

And I also forgot Arizona were Edmonds is no more then a complement, at least that's what they are telling me by how they have chosen to use him.

And again we don't know if Carson or Fournette will go to one of these teams, maybe NE for example reaches out and grabs one. I sure as heck never saw Raiders landing Drake.

Just seems like a good year for some RB openings in a draft I don't think is that deep for RB's. This seems to help the Big 3 and maybe a guy like Sermon or Jefferson in that next grouping. I just find all of this encouraging for how it might shape the top of rookie drafts and the middle to later round one. We'll see.

RB10 in my startup last week. Dobbins or Harris are the only two that I might argue to bump for him. Dare I say Kamara. So maybe RB8. But I really did have it in my head that McKissic was already gone and now I see he is signed through 2021 so I'm going to admit that is a thing. But Gibson is a stud. 

Also of note is that Fitz is a huge upgrade at QB but they still don't exactly have a plan at QB (that is public anyway). I love Rivera though and the NFC East is winnable AF.
Damien Harris?

Now eject Foles and go after Mariota or Minshew.
Not sure we should do that anymore. It probably would have been better to get one of these before they got Dalton. If they get another QB now, it would be almost assured they don't get one in the draft - and that solves nothing. They should trade up in the draft or see what falls to them at this point. I'm guessing one of Mariota and or Mionshew may still be available after the draft.

Let’s not rule out Gruden and the Raiders signing one of these guys. 
;) 

Not sure we should do that anymore. It probably would have been better to get one of these before they got Dalton. If they get another QB now, it would be almost assured they don't get one in the draft - and that solves nothing. They should trade up in the draft or see what falls to them at this point. I'm guessing one of Mariota and or Minshew may still be available after the draft.
Getting Foles off the roster would cause the Bears to have to eat a $10+ million cap hit. If you are fine with that, so be it.

Sometimes moving on from a player really doesn't make prudent business sense. NE today released some barely clinging to a roster spot guys that would not have counted against the cap at all (their Top 51 players all make more so anyone beyond that gets a free ride). So if they left them in their organization their cap hit would have been $0. But since they cut them, they now have to now take on dead cap money for releasing them (whatever unaccounted signing bonus money that was still on the books). One player they let go was injured, so they may have to eat his entire 2021 salary anyway AND take the cap hit (when they would have had either no cap hit or a minimal one if they just stuck him on the practice squad). But I guess there are only so many roster spots to go around . . .

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

#Texans speedy FA WR Will Fuller is signing a 1-year deal with the #Dolphins, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. A big-time deep threat.

12:53 PM · Mar 18, 2021
Maybe the market is so soft, that JuJu takes a two-year deal with the Steelers, so he gets a bonus and low salary this season, and then signs a longer extension next season converting the Y2 salary to another bonus with the cap likely exploding in 2023.

Not sure we should do that anymore. It probably would have been better to get one of these before they got Dalton. If they get another QB now, it would be almost assured they don't get one in the draft - and that solves nothing. They should trade up in the draft or see what falls to them at this point. I'm guessing one of Mariota and or Mionshew may still be available after the draft.
I saw the blurb says Dalton was told he is the unquestioned starter. So nothing really matters anymore.

Maybe the market is so soft, that JuJu takes a two-year deal with the Steelers, so he gets a bonus and low salary this season, and then signs a longer extension next season converting the Y2 salary to another bonus with the cap likely exploding in 2023.
Based on what has been reported on the NFL's new tv package, there will not be a cap explosion. Only slow and steady growth from year to year.

The NFL media types are busy reporting on the new tv deal, so I would expect a lull for a while on player news while they all get that out of their systems.

WR Keenan Cole to NYJ. 1/5.5.

CB Troy Hill to CLE. 4/24.

T Mike Remmers to KC. One year for $3.5M guaranteed worth up to $7M. 

Thought I read over 200 nxt year. 
Unless I read it wrong, the percentage of money allocated to the cap will remain the same. The cap has consistently gone up $10M a year. So 2022 will be pretty close to the same as it would have been had their been no disruption or reduction in the cap in 2021. Lots of long term contracts were built around the projected cap total for 2022. in 2020, it was $198M. It was projected initially to be $208-210M in 2021 and around $220M in 2020.

So yes, teams will get back the amount of cap space they lost in 2021 and the usual bump YOY. But it’s not like teams are going to see a giant bump like the NBA, where the cap went up 35% in one year. But yes, the NFL cap will probably go up 15-20% next year over this year (vs. the average bump of 5% per year).

I saw some people suggesting the cap might be $250M or more next year, and I don’t see that happening. So I guess everything is relative. Is getting back to the number that it was projected to be in 2022 considered a windfall and a huge bump in the cap?

Said this in the Will Fuller thread; this WR market is hot TRASSSSSSSSSSSSSHHH. WRs are making zero money right now; Allen Robinson literally got scared Chicago was goign to make an offer to Kenny Golladay and nearly sprained his wrist grabbing a pen to sign his franchise tag at $18 mil. I posted in the Giants thread maybe NY could offer him 4/60 with 60% guarantee to entice him to sign, but at the market prices I'm starting to think Giants could offer 4/53.5 (28 million guaranteed) and he'll sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoneworker said:
If anyone can explain what the new Broncos GM is doing, please do...

...they say they want to bring in vet QB competition for Lock...now they're all gone...no way they'll get Watson

...re-sign an over-the-hill Von Miller...which screams Win Now but far too many roster holes for that...

...effectively kicked fan fave Phillip Lindsay to the curb...

...9th draft spot no man's land for rookie QB w/o giving away the farm to move up.
let me put on my bronco homer glasses (like I ever take them off lol) and try to make sense of this:

Lock: It appears to me that the team has more confidence in his future than the rest of us do.  Consider that 2020 was to be his first year as an incumbent but last year was tainted by (A) new OC (B) no OTA's (C) injuries to Lock himself and receiving corps.  The team is satisfied to go into 2021 with Lock as the incumbent starter, but they want a better back-up QB than Driscoll.

Von: Not sure if he is over the hill.  His sack numbers were down in 2019 but his pressures were still there.  Losing Chubb in 2019 hurt Vons production: without a viable threat opposite, defenses could chip and double him all day.  All reports last pre-season were glowing - he was primed for a great year before a freak ankle injury.  Regardless, cutting Von would have cost $4M in dead money so the team would be saving $16M - pretty close to what top edge rushers made when FA opened this year.

Lindsay: I think we (FF community and Bronco fans alike) overvalue Lindsay.  I keep hearing that the Broncos didn't use him correctly.  Well, they said the same about Tebow.  You don't pay a lot of money for a guy you can only use in a few specific ways.  I love the dude, his fire and passion was incredible, but he also went down on first contact a lot.  Also, he was a liability in the passing game (not great hands, not a great blocker) and didn't contribute on special teams.  Lindsay is a guy who could turn a nice hole into a 50 yard run, but most NFL backs can turn a nice hole into a 10-20 yard run...Lindsay had value there for sure but if the hole isn't here, he's losing yards.  A guy who can eek out 4 yards when there isn't a hole is more valuable. 

I'd also say that I think Lindsay and his agents over-valued his worth.  He rejected any offer from Broncos, so the team let him go out and see if he could find another offer, and they would match - a great way for Lindsay to make market value, but for the Broncos to keep him.  He didn't find it, so he asked to be released, thinking the RFA original round tender was holding him back.  I think he will find that is not the case.  I don't think he gets >$3M/year.

9th draft spot: If you believe Broncos are OK with Lock, CB is next biggest need.  All mocks I have read had Broncos going CB at 9: Farley or Surtain. with the Darby signing and if the Broncos can acquire Kyle Fuller, Broncos could go BPA - OL, or LB.  If the Lock-trust is a smoke screen, it's a hell of a lot easier to move up from 9 than it is at, say, 15 or 20.  toss in next years #1 and that could do the trick.

look for some big moves to be made in the near future.  Broncos are in process of signing Simmons (currently on franchise tag) to a long term deal, and converting salaries of McManus and Purcell roster bonus into signing bonus (i.e. kicking the can down the road in exchange for more breathing room in 2021).  Something big is about to drop.  I'm hoping it's related to be Bears.

look for some big moves to be made in the near future.  Broncos are in process of signing Simmons (currently on franchise tag) to a long term deal, and converting salaries of McManus and Purcell roster bonus into signing bonus (i.e. kicking the can down the road in exchange for more breathing room in 2021).  Something big is about to drop.  I'm hoping it's related to be Bears.
let me be first to speculate: Akiem Hicks and Kyle Fuller to Denver in exchange for a mid-round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers clearly promising a large extension next season.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. They could have just given him a large extension right now, it could have lowered this year's cap number. Seems more likely that he thinks he could put up better numbers this year in Pitt to cash in next year.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. They could have just given him a large extension right now, it could have lowered this year's cap number. Seems more likely that he thinks he could put up better numbers this year in Pitt to cash in next year.
This is how I see it. Ravens would not have helped him put up numbers. KC was likely appealing but he'd have had to learn a new offense and a new role and sometimes that goes sideways no matter how good it looks on paper.

I find it interesting KC was involved to the extent they were and I find it interesting that Green Bay continues to sit on the sideline and not try and get one year bargain. And I know they are tight on cap but so is Pittsburgh, way to work around it.

Apparently his offers were:
Chiefs 8M with 3M in incentives
Steelers 8M
Baltimore 9M with 4M in incentives

I don't even want to think about what the Chiefs offense would have looked like.
Per Shefter add in Eagles who he said offered more money but on a multi year deal.

This is how I see it. Ravens would not have helped him put up numbers. KC was likely appealing but he'd have had to learn a new offense and a new role and sometimes that goes sideways no matter how good it looks on paper.

I find it interesting KC was involved to the extent they were and I find it interesting that Green Bay continues to sit on the sideline and not try and get one year bargain. And I know they are tight on cap but so is Pittsburgh, way to work around it.
Yep, and he would be 3rd fiddle in KC, which isn't exactly a bad place to be but more targets to be had for him in Pitt along with the familiarity.

Users who are viewing this thread