What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank Your NFL Team's 2023 Season (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
This is the most fascinating time of the year to watch human nature merge with the NFL.

On a scale of 1 (terrible) to 10 (best possible), where would you rank your NFL team's 2023 season?

Please comment with your team and the ranking and add any additional info on your ranking.

Texans - I rate their season a 10.

I hesitated whether to call it a 9, with a 10 being winning the Super Bowl. But since we're doing this pre-Super Bowl I'll assume that isn't in the criteria we should consider. I would have considered 6 wins to be significant improvement over last year. Winning 10 games, the division and a playoff game exceeded by far my wildest expectations.

On top of it is how bright the future looks. A coach who motivates players and got both units turned around. A good player at all the key positions, QB, LT, DE, CB, and WR. There's still holes, especially on the O line, and a lot of starters whose contracts are up that is going to cut into the large amount of cap room left. But I don't imagine there's a team that more outplayed their expectations this year.

Which is also why Demeco Ryans deserves Coach of the Year. Yes, taking a Super Bowl contender and still making a wildcard game after losing some key pieces is impressive for Stefanski and a lot of years he'd earn it here. But if you had to bet that the Browns would lose Watson (who didn't play well anyway) and Chubb and their tackles and still make the playoffs, or had to bet that Houston would win their division with even more players on IR than the Browns including 3 of Houston's O-line and would be running 4th stringers out there most of the year, there's no way anyone would think Houston was the better bet there.

Texans - I rate their season a 10.

I hesitated whether to call it a 9, with a 10 being winning the Super Bowl. But since we're doing this pre-Super Bowl I'll assume that isn't in the criteria we should consider. I would have considered 6 wins to be significant improvement over last year. Winning 10 games, the division and a playoff game far my wildest exceeded expectations.

On top of it is how bright the future looks. A coach who motivates players and got both units turned around. A good player at all the key positions, QB, LT, DE, CB, and WR. There's still holes, especially on the O line, and a lot of starters whose contracts are up that is going to cut into the large amount of cap room left. But I don't imagine there's a team that more outplayed their expectations this year.

Which is also why Demeco Ryans deserves Coach of the Year. Yes, taking a Super Bowl contender and still making a wildcard game after losing some key pieces is impressive for Stefanski and a lot of years he'd earn it here. But if you had to bet that the Browns would lose Watson (who didn't play well anyway) and Chubb and their tackles and still make the playoffs, or had to bet that Houston would win their division with even more players on IR than the Browns including 3 of Houston's O-line and would be running 4th stringers out there most of the year, there's no way anyone would think Houston was the better bet there.

I would say the same, @GregR I guess technically, a Super Bowl would be a 10 but if I'm a Texans fan, I can't imagine a much better situation than right now.

You've gone from being lost in the wilderness to having the questions answered at QB and HC. The two most important questions in my opinion. Future is super bright in Houston.

Miami won as many Playoff games this year as they did in '22, '21, '20. '19. '18, '17, '16....and it keeps going and going
I'd rate it about a 5 overall, Miami won 11 games but in the end it felt meaningless as usual around South Beach

San Francisco - 10 to this point

If you would have told me coming into the season that Purdy would have over 4,000 yards passing, 30 TDs, and a 70% completion percentage while CMc wins OPoY and that the defense would rank third in PPG given up I’d say that we would be the number one seed in the NFC and be favored to win the Super Bowl.

Here we are. Almost there anyway.

(I think people forget how young Brock is in all of this. Yeah he’s got veteran studs around him but he still has to make it work and not be overwhelmed by the situation that he’s found himself in. There should be something to that on his part. I can’t even imagine. What he’s accomplished this year is remarkable.)

Edit: fixed a word

Steelers (and Mike Tomlin) get a 10 from me due to them having 17 (or whatever the number is) non-losing seasons in a row. I've been told that's all we should expect from the Steelers :shrugs:

Minny Vikings: I rate it a 6

I didn't really have any high expectations and they started out terrible in terms of wins. I don't think they were playing as bad as the record indicated but some of the close game luck from last year came back to bite them. I thought their defensive philosophy under Flores was huge improvement over the last couple years and really thought the aggressive nature came through as I had hoped.

I think Cousins was playing at his all time best and would like to have seen what the Vikes could have done if he ended up playing the whole season. I have no doubt they would have made the playoffs and it wouldn't have surprised me if they won the division. In the end I think injuries overall killed any fleeting chance they had the playoffs or any kind of run.

I hope they bring back Cousins on a discount and hope to find some depth/improvement in the secondary. Hunter will be another key domino in how they will be set up for next year. Wonnum getting injured late (torn quad?) also hurt as he was having a good year opposite Hunter. If they lose both those guys they will need to find a pass rush from somewhere.

I think offensively they are good (provided Cousins comes back) and with a couple key additions the defense could be good enough. But in the end they will nugget punch us fans once our hopes have reached the stars as is out way of life.

If you would have told me coming into the season that Purdy would have over 4,000 yards passing, 30 TDs, and a 70% completion percentage while CMc wins OPoY and that the defense would rank third in PPG given up I’d say that we would be the number one seed in the NFC and be favored to win the Super Bowl.

(I think people forget how young Brock is in all of this. Yeah he’s got veteran studs around him but he still has to make it work and not be overwhelmed by the situation that he’s found himself in. There should be something to that on his part. I can’t even imagine. What he’s accomplished this year is remarkable.)

I mean, 10 is 'best possible'. 18-0 with a healthy Deebo this week probably would have been better.

I mean, 10 is 'best possible'. 18-0 with a healthy Deebo this week probably would have been better.
That would be a smidge better when you put it that way.

You ranked your Eagles season as 2 however. A team that was once 10-1 and made the playoffs. Makes me wonder what ratings 3 through 10 would look like through your eyes.

That would be a smidge better when you put it that way.

You ranked your Eagles season as 2 however. A team that was once 10-1 and made the playoffs. Makes me wonder what ratings 3 through 10 would look like through your eyes.
making it past round 1, getting a bye then losing, not totally collapsing, having a better draft pick,e tc

Going to have to calibrate these ratings, since someone like the Texans who came in with very low expectations must feel like this season was a 10, while someone like San Francisco would be less than a 10 with anything less than a Super Bowl victory imo. Everyone please use this standardized scale:

10: Almost flawless and very rare. Could be a Super Bowl champion, multi-year dynasty (nationally amazing, the MENSA of football teams)

9: The best team in the league, the best team in the conference (more locally amazing)

8: One of the better teams in the league, one of the better teams in the conference (upper class of teams)

7: Competitive team in the league, in the conference, division. Definitely good but not a top team.
6: Fairly competitive, no major flaws but some minor ones
5: Average, starting to be below average but certain things went your way. Nothing major, but minor problems are more common.
4: Not good. Major flaws start piling up (bad coaching, injuries)
3: One of the lesser teams in the league, one of the worst teams in their division (lower class of teams)
2: The worst team in the conference, possibly worst in the league (eliminated early from playoff contention).
1: Absolutely terrible and hard to watch. Historically bad (not one single redeeming quality)

Using the @offscale here....

Dallas - 7
Hottest team at a mid-tier bar, looks far better than all the other teams around 'em. Convinces you to buy in, go home with them and then asks if they can drive your car back to their place, puts on the seat warmers, turns on your favorite tunes and right near the exit to their home when you're most comfortable and expectations are high, floors it and slams your car into a rock wall before backing up and driving into a volcano.

Going to have to calibrate these ratings, since someone like the Texans who came in with very low expectations must feel like this season was a 10, while someone like San Francisco would be less than a 10 with anything less than a Super Bowl victory imo. Everyone please use this standardized scale:

10: Almost flawless and very rare. Could be a Super Bowl champion, multi-year dynasty (nationally amazing, the MENSA of football teams)

9: The best team in the league, the best team in the conference (more locally amazing)

8: One of the better teams in the league, one of the better teams in the conference (upper class of teams)

7: Competitive team in the league, in the conference, division. Definitely good but not a top team.
6: Fairly competitive, no major flaws but some minor ones
5: Average, starting to be below average but certain things went your way. Nothing major, but minor problems are more common.
4: Not good. Major flaws start piling up (bad coaching, injuries)
3: One of the lesser teams in the league, one of the worst teams in their division (lower class of teams)
2: The worst team in the conference, possibly worst in the league (eliminated early from playoff contention).
1: Absolutely terrible and hard to watch. Historically bad (not one single redeeming quality)
No. The ratings are supposed to be subjective, anyone can just assign one of these numbers to any team.

Expectations definitely work into those rankings.

Titans 1
New GM was supposed to fix issues from the prior GM. He didn't and seemed to just look forward to having 80mil available in 2024.
However, redoing contracts and adding Dillard, roughly 20 will be tied up in Tannehill, Henry, and Dillard.
A former coach of the year got fired.
Their top C and T retired.
A fan favorite former all pro safety was traded away for little return.
A team legend, the king, may have played his last game in Nashville.

Ravens

Now: 9.5

If they win Sunday: 9.75

If they win the Super Bowl: Infinity, best season they’ve ever had or ever will have in my lifetime

DVOA has them as the best team ever through the Divisional Round and that nearly passes my eye test. They’re up there with 91 Redskins, 07 Patriots, 89 49ers (I put 85 Bears on a different tier because they would have beaten any team I’ve ever seen with that defense even though their offense wasn’t top tier). But they need to win it all to pay that off, and Lamar winning a Lombardi now will make the rest of his career much more fun to enjoy because it will minimize idiotic discussions about him not being able to win a championship

Eagles- 2
That’s a -2, right?
Sounds about right.
Titans 1
New GM was supposed to fix issues from the prior GM. He didn't and seemed to just look forward to having 80mil available in 2024.
However, redoing contracts and adding Dillard, roughly 20 will be tied up in Tannehill, Henry, and Dillard.

I think you expected too much if ran was supposed to fix much this year. They ended where they should have.
Byard Was a favorite but really wasn’t the same player as before.
Agree with the rest, and yeah, a 1 sounds right.

Detroit Lions
  • Sold out season tickets at Ford Field for the first time ever
  • Became the first NFC team to beat [a Mahomes led] Kansas City in Arrowhead
  • Finished Regular Season with the 2nd most wins in the league, tied for the most in the NFC
  • Tied Franchise Record for Regular Season Wins - 12
  • Set Franchise Record for Most Wins [Overall] - 14
  • Tied NFL record with 4 players scoring 10 touchdowns
  • Sam LaPorta set NFL Rookie TE record for receptions, 3rd best ever for targets, yards and touchdowns
  • LaPorta also set records for most receptions by a rookie TE in a playoff game (9) and in a playoff season (12)
  • 2 1st Team All Pro players (Sewell, St Brown) for the first time since 2017
  • 2 1st Team All Pro offensive players for the first time since 1997
  • RT Penei Sewell finished with the highest PFF Grade for Tackles, and the 2nd highest Run Blocking Grade ever
  • Won NFC North for the first time in 30 years
  • Won a playoff game for the first time in 32 years
  • Won 2 playoff games for the first time since 1957
  • Won 2 home playoff games for the first time ever
  • Advanced to the NFCCG for the 2nd time in franchise history
  • Quarterback Jared Goff became the 3rd QB in franchise history (Layne, Rote) to win multiple playoff games
  • Head Coach Dan Campbell became the 3rd Lions coach to win multiple playoff games
  • accumulated 23 scrimmage TDs from rookies this season (including the playoffs), the most scrimmage TDs any team's rookies have combined for in a season since the 1970 merger
  • 9 players age 23 or younger: Penei Sewell, Alim McNeil, lSam LaPorta, Kerby Joseph, Aidan Hutchinson, Jack Campbell, Jameson Williams, Brian Branch, and Jahmyr Gibbs

Probably missing a bunch of other stuff but you get the idea.

But the job's not done yet. Relative to their woeful history, most folks would say it's probably fair to say 10.0 on a scale of 1-10.

I don't view it that way. Objectively, this wasn't their best season as they have won 4 NFL Titles - which, when the Super Bowl era began, was tied for third best (GB-9, CHI-8, NYG-4, DET-4, CLE-4.) In the Bobby Layne era they went to 4 NFL Title games in 6 years including 3 straight, and were the 3rd team in NFL history to win back-to-back titles. Along with the Browns (3-4 in NFL Title games 1950-57), they were the dominant NFL team of the 1950s, going 3-1 in NFL Championships 1952-57.

The Detroit Lions had their best record in a season in 1953, with a record of 10-2. This season was their 10th best regular season by winning percentage.

TEAMSEASONREC
Detroit Lions195310-2
Detroit Lions19549-2-1
Detroit Lions196211-3
Portsmouth Spartans193111-3

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-lions-season-record

66 years since their last title, and one of only four teams that have never been to a Super Bowl. The other 3 are all expansion franchises. Technically Cleveland wasn't a new franchise because they retained their history.....Lions are still the only team that has been in existence for all of the last 58 years and not gone to a Super Bowl.

IMO the season has been an 8. They have exceeded expectations but the final grade isn't in, so that's the floor.

9 if they make the Super Bowl.

10 if they win the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Colts = 6.5
A Richardson looked good in limited playing time due to injury.
The team seemed to "over-perform" as a whole or maybe the talent is developing and ready for A Richardson return.
Coach seems to be a good fit, getting a lot out of his players in year 1

Denver Broncos = 5

On the plus side, they won the most games in a season since 2016, went 4-2 against playoff teams, and won 7 of their last 11. Several young players emerged on both sides of the ball during the season that could form a solid core moving forward. The offensive line is Top 15 (PFF) and the defense is above average despite a shaky start.

Of course the Russell Wilson situation and inability to get better performance from him is a profound negative. Indeed the offense as a whole was anemic, inconsistent and overall disappointing given Sean Payton's resume.

The offseason will likely see quite a bit of upheaval in the form of trades, contract restructurings and outright veteran cuts as Payton attempts to mold the roster to his vision.

Steelers-7

7 is what I consider on par with a C, minimum passing grade.

Their season went about as expected, a typical Tomlin season. Barely pulling off a winning season and first round exit but they joined the 44% club with Rudolph leading the way so I'm going to give them a passing grade.

Main negatives: meager hope for Pickett being the QB solution faded and the answer for who is the QB to lead this team remains a bigger mystery. The other major negatives occurred before the season started which was retaining Canada.

Major positives: finally moved on from Canada, the 2023 draft class looks extremely promising and that's probably the biggest positive since it's the first with the new GM and above and beyond the draft liked the overall aggressive approach to fill some needs even if they did not all work out but long story short came away with stronger feeling for the personnel department then I've had in the last few years. Was good to see Pickens deal with adversity, of his own choosing so to speak, and seem to learn from it and grow as a player which combined with some of his massive performances at the end of the season was great to see, need what he can bring to this offense in a major way. I'd mention stuff like the OL finally starting to come around but that goes under the personell moves to me.

Steelers... 6

Back in AUG we knew the starting QB was a dud. I was thinking 6-7 wins. Starter got hurt so they ended up with a mini-surge to get into the post season.

2024 looking much the same if QB situation remains static.

It was a long wait between Bradshaw and Ben... so we're in a holding pattern again.

Last edited:
Chargers = 2

The Chargers came into existence 64 years ago. Only once did they have more losses (yeah, I know the season is longer now, but just let me exaggerate, thanx).

- For all the Herbert love, let me just say he is the only Chargers QB to play at least 25 games and have a losing record (Kemp, Hadl, Fouts, Humphries, Brees, and Rivers are all over .500)

Seahawks - 5 (was a 4 on the scale but coach change makes it +1)

Just a mess all round. terrible coaching, awful play calling, QB regressing to mean, a costly in season rental trade and a bunch of players looking like they just don't fit.

Offense has some good points at RB and WR (although I think Locket is gone) but the defense was a total mess, Pass rush didn't get going, interior line had some moments but wasn't consistent, LB were led by a clearly slow Wagner but Brooks fitness was a bonus and secondary found a star in 'Spoon but found huge issues as Safety and Woolen seemed lost.

Bottom line is , it was a continuation of the last few years. Flattered to deceive and never threatened to do anything great. Some core talent on roster to build around, but they have left far too many glaring needs going into offseason (QB, OL, TE, DL, multiple LB and S). Not a great legacy.

Detroit Lions
  • Sold out season tickets at Ford Field for the first time ever
  • Became the first NFC team to beat Kansas City in Arrowhead
  • Finished Regular Season with the 2nd most wins in the league, tied for the most in the NFC
  • Tied Franchise Record for Regular Season Wins - 12
  • Set Franchise Record for Most Wins - 14
  • Tied NFL record with 4 players scoring 10 touchdowns
  • Sam LaPorta set NFL Rookie TE records for receptions, 3rd best ever for targets, yards and touchdowns
  • LaPorta also set records for most receptions by a rookie TE in a playoff game (9) and in a playoff season (12)
  • 2 1st Team All Pro players (Sewell, St Brown) for the first time since 2017
  • 2 1st Team All Pro offensive players for the first time since 1997
  • RT Penei Sewell finished with the highest PFF Grade for Tackles, and the 2nd highest Run Blocking Grade ever
  • Won NFC North for the first time in 30 years
  • Won a playoff game for the first time in 32 years
  • Won 2 playoff games for the first time since 1957
  • Won 2 home playoff games for the first time ever
  • Advanced to the NFCCG for the 2nd time in franchise history
  • Quarterback Jared Goff became the 3rd QB in franchise history (Layne, Rote) with win multiple playoff games
  • Head Coach Dan Campbell became the 3rd Lions coach to win multiple playoff games
  • accumulated 23 scrimmage TDs from rookies this season (including the playoffs), the most scrimmage TDs any team's rookies have combined for in a season since the 1970 merger
  • 9 players age 23 or younger: Penei Sewell, Alim McNeil, lSam LaPorta, Kerby Joseph, Aidan Hutchinson, Jack Campbell, Jameson Williams, Brian Branch, and Jahmyr Gibbs

Probably missing a bunch of other stuff but you get the idea.

But the job's not done yet. Relative to their woeful history, most folks would say it's probably fair to say 10.0 on a scale of 1-10.

I don't view it that way.

66 years since their last title, and one of only four teams that have never been to a Super Bowl. The other 3 are all expansion franchises. Technically Cleveland wasn't a new franchise because they retained their history.....Lions are still the only team that has been in existence for all of the last 57 years and not gone to a Super Bowl.

IMO the season has been an 8. They have exceeded expectations but the final grade isn't in, so that's the floor.

9 if they make the Super Bowl.

10 if they win the Super Bowl.
I give the lions a 13 already, and will keep adding more if they keep winning

Bucs = 7

I'm seemingly one of the more pessimistic Bucs fans on the boards here.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the team succeed, but the success on the back of Baker gives me a lot of pause. It's inevitable that we're now going to massively overpay for a guy who I'm quite sure we just watched his ceiling, and is now going to handcuff us financially for the next 3-4 years. I've never been one to buy into a player after 1 good season, turnaround or not.....and that seems to be the popular school of thought in the team thread right now. We've now had 6 years of evidence from Baker if he can be that dude. I don't believe that I've seen it, either this year or before.

Given my belief that this is peak Baker, I'd rather us just begin the tanking process and get on with the chase for the next franchise-changing rookie QB talent, but I don't at all expect that at this time.

Raiders - 7

Pros
McDaniels fired
I could probably just stop now but I won't
Beat the brakes off the Chargers
Beat the brakes off the Chiefs (ok fine, we snuck by them, but it was Christmas Day, it was a dominating defensive performance, and I got the best thread title out of it)
Beat the Broncos twice.
We have a defense now
#1 (lowest) penalties committed - the RAIDERS committed the fewest penalties in the league. Was good under McDaniels, got better under AP
Players went all in on the AP factor. Played hard, clean, smart football the last 9 games.

Cons
McDaniels not fired before season started
Ziegler caught up in the toilet flush that purged McDaniels - he likely wasn't that bad, but the stench of McDaniels wasn't coming out of that wash
We are not in the zip code of having a legit QB yet.
We lost some HUGE stinkers - especially MIN and CHI. Debacle in Detroit too but at least that got McDaniel fired so it wasn't all bad.
5-4 under AP wasn't nearly as impressive as it looks (and 5-4 isn't exactly impressive anyway) given the state of some of the teams we played.

We Raider fans have endured far worse, and most years we wouldn't have been spared the McDaniels agony so soon or seen such a positive response to it so quickly. This would probably be about a 4 or 5 season for most franchises going 8-9 and seeing the stinkers we put up but with the amputation of the old guard and the surge we saw in the second half there's a lot of optimism.

Bears=7

I feel like I'm more optimistic than my fellow Bears fans. Won 4 more games than the season before, and was very competitive against several playoff teams, including beating down the final 4 Lions. Won 4 of the last 6, and the defense didn't give up more than 20 in any of those games. Also Carolina's pick ended up being #1.

Personally, I like Fields and think he can absolutely be the long term QB, but I'm not opposed to taking Caleb Williams either. I think Williams is the better prospect, I just don't think he's 3 1st round picks better. If they can pull off a similar trade to last season, I'd do it, especially if they can still have 2 top-10 picks.

I like the RBs, it was unfortunate they were never really all healthy together until the end of the season. Personally, I think Herbert is the best of the group.

Darnell Mooney took a huge step back at WR, and really other than DJ Moore this is a major hole. I think they need a #2 and #3 WR.

Cole Kmet had a breakout season. I hated the contract they signed him to, but he's a solid player.

OL wasn't great, though injuries did a number on them. I wasn't a fan of the Darnell Wright pick, and I thought he had an ok rookie season. Cody Whitehair used to be a very good OL. but at 32, he looks like a he should be a backup at this stage. Nate Davis was banged up, and looked like a FA bust when he was on the field, but perhaps better health will fix that. Tevin Jenkins has looked good since his washout rookie season. Braxton Jones looks like a decent LT. They need a C badly, but hopefully better health and development (4 starters 27 or younger) fixes some issues.

Montez Sweat came in and instantly looked like a high-end player. A lot of people think they overpaid giving up what turned out to be the 40 pick, but I'm ok with it. They need a guy opposite him though. At DT, the 2 rookies (Dexter, Pickens) looked pretty overmatched most of the season. Andrew Billings was a nice player though. They need a starter there too.

I thought Tremaine Edmunds was a predictable FA bust. Never really liked him in Buffalo either. He's like Devin White to me, a fast guy, who really isn't a good player. He's probably better than White at least. TJ Edwards on the other hand was a predictably great FA signing. I also really like Jack Sanborn, and think he's a very good #3 LB.

Jaylon Johnson made the leap from solid prospect with iffy returns to elite CB this season. Re-signing him should (and likely will) be priority #1. I thought Kyler Gordon made a slight leap as a full-time slot CB. I also thought the 2 rookies (Tyrique Stevenson and Terrelle Smith) showed some promise. Can never have too many CBs so if the price is right in FA or the draft I can see adding a guy, but I don't really see it as a need as long as Johnson stays.

Eddie Jackson had a nice rebound season in 2022, but seemed to regress again in 2023. He's not worth anywhere near his salary. He's almost as easy a cut as Whitehair. I think Brisker is solid as one starter, though I do wonder if he might top out at just being solid. This is a need.

I'm probably in the minority, but I agree with keeping Eberflus. I like the way the defense gelled down the stretch, and I think the 4 win improvement is promising. I fully agreed with firing Getsy who I thought was the latest in a long line of coaches who got their job because they coached an elite player (Rodgers) and not because they brought anything to the table. I love the Shane Waldron hire, he was my favorite choice of guys they interviewed. Frankly, I think Seattle made a big mistake letting him go (and moving on from Carroll for that matter) I think he did a very good job with Geno Smith, and I think he's a good fit regardless of if they stick with Fields or draft Williams.

Reactions: Bri
Eagles- 2
That’s a -2, right?
Sounds about right.
Titans 1

I think you expected too much if ran was supposed to fix much this year. They ended where they should have.
Byard Was a favorite but really wasn’t the same player as before.
Agree with the rest, and yeah, a 1 sounds right.
IIRC he added eight newcomers to the OL in camp-including an expensive free agent and the top rated tackle in the NFL draft.
They had limited funds and he met every fans needs as far as what positions we all wanted improved/new players at.
Whether it's the wrong position or the poor play, he bombed.
My expectation was probably to jump from garbage to average on the OL.
Soooo this is the guy, the leader of the new GM triumvirate that they're giving 80mil and a draft to, to rebuild the team.

In the real world, totally fine with giving him another chance.
In the NFL's what have you done for me lately knee jerk standards....I'm surprised he kept his job and absolutely shocked he got promoted.
I can not think of a GM to make a team's record worse that got promoted.

When he said he didn't know what the vision was for the organization (he's the leader and the builder) that was a straw for me, and I lost faith.

Gimme til March and I'll convert back to a foolishly hopeful fan again.

Titans 1
Wanted to add-

I am so glad to be done with the Vrabel welfare n unemployment department.

He is a great coach, but his heart n loyalty are an enormous cross he bears. He's quite possibly literally the only person that thinks the Texans were a great team with a great staff two plus years ago.

He all but asked us fans to "give this guy another chance" way too often. Sports is a competitive only the strong survive cliche filled world. It's not the unemployment office.

Browns - 8.

Not much to say. Beat the Bengals, Ravens and Niners. Made the playoffs. Elite DEF for the majority of the season, all whole riding with 4-5 QBs throughout it.
Could've gone with 7, but for it being the Browns... it's an 8

When he said he didn't know what the vision was for the organization (he's the leader and the builder) that was a straw for me, and I lost faith.
I blame Amy. Just like I blamed the Fords when I lived in Detroit. Eventually I gave up on that team. It’s not a coincidence that they’ve improved so much since their new owner took over in 2020.

Reactions: Bri
Bears=7

I feel like I'm more optimistic than my fellow Bears fans. Won 4 more games than the season before, and was very competitive against several playoff teams, including beating down the final 4 Lions. Won 4 of the last 6, and the defense didn't give up more than 20 in any of those games. Also Carolina's pick ended up being #1.

Personally, I like Fields and think he can absolutely be the long term QB, but I'm not opposed to taking Caleb Williams either. I think Williams is the better prospect, I just don't think he's 3 1st round picks better. If they can pull off a similar trade to last season, I'd do it, especially if they can still have 2 top-10 picks.

I like the RBs, it was unfortunate they were never really all healthy together until the end of the season. Personally, I think Herbert is the best of the group.

Darnell Mooney took a huge step back at WR, and really other than DJ Moore this is a major hole. I think they need a #2 and #3 WR.

Cole Kmet had a breakout season. I hated the contract they signed him to, but he's a solid player.

OL wasn't great, though injuries did a number on them. I wasn't a fan of the Darnell Wright pick, and I thought he had an ok rookie season. Cody Whitehair used to be a very good OL. but at 32, he looks like a he should be a backup at this stage. Nate Davis was banged up, and looked like a FA bust when he was on the field, but perhaps better health will fix that. Tevin Jenkins has looked good since his washout rookie season. Braxton Jones looks like a decent LT. They need a C badly, but hopefully better health and development (4 starters 27 or younger) fixes some issues.

Montez Sweat came in and instantly looked like a high-end player. A lot of people think they overpaid giving up what turned out to be the 40 pick, but I'm ok with it. They need a guy opposite him though. At DT, the 2 rookies (Dexter, Pickens) looked pretty overmatched most of the season. Andrew Billings was a nice player though. They need a starter there too.

I thought Tremaine Edmunds was a predictable FA bust. Never really liked him in Buffalo either. He's like Devin White to me, a fast guy, who really isn't a good player. He's probably better than White at least. TJ Edwards on the other hand was a predictably great FA signing. I also really like Jack Sanborn, and think he's a very good #3 LB.

Jaylon Johnson made the leap from solid prospect with iffy returns to elite CB this season. Re-signing him should (and likely will) be priority #1. I thought Kyler Gordon made a slight leap as a full-time slot CB. I also thought the 2 rookies (Tyrique Stevenson and Terrelle Smith) showed some promise. Can never have too many CBs so if the price is right in FA or the draft I can see adding a guy, but I don't really see it as a need as long as Johnson stays.

Eddie Jackson had a nice rebound season in 2022, but seemed to regress again in 2023. He's not worth anywhere near his salary. He's almost as easy a cut as Whitehair. I think Brisker is solid as one starter, though I do wonder if he might top out at just being solid. This is a need.

I'm probably in the minority, but I agree with keeping Eberflus. I like the way the defense gelled down the stretch, and I think the 4 win improvement is promising. I fully agreed with firing Getsy who I thought was the latest in a long line of coaches who got their job because they coached an elite player (Rodgers) and not because they brought anything to the table. I love the Shane Waldron hire, he was my favorite choice of guys they interviewed. Frankly, I think Seattle made a big mistake letting him go (and moving on from Carroll for that matter) I think he did a very good job with Geno Smith, and I think he's a good fit regardless of if they stick with Fields or draft Williams.
I'm right there with you on about 95% of this. I'd rate the season at a 5 though. Two losses to GB and 3 historic collapses. Bears were legitimately the worst team in the NFL through 4 weeks.

Mooney and Claypool were massive disappointments this year. Getsy was a bottom 5 OC. I'd love to see them pick up a better RB 1 this offseason.

Line will hopefully improve. I think a lot of Nate Davis' early season struggles were due to him losing his mother right as the season started. That can be a tough time. Whitehair needs to be out of the league.

Hoping Flus learned from his mistakes and Waldron is an improvement. I was disappointed in this year as I thought playoffs were a possibility.

Ravens

If they win the Super Bowl: Infinity, best season they’ve ever had or ever will have in my lifetime

DVOA has them as the best team ever through the Divisional Round and that nearly passes my eye test. They’re up there with 91 Redskins, 07 Patriots, 89 49ers (I put 85 Bears on a different tier because they would have beaten any team I’ve ever seen with that defense even though their offense wasn’t top tier). But they need to win it all to pay that off, and Lamar winning a Lombardi now will make the rest of his career much more fun to enjoy because it will minimize idiotic discussions about him not being able to win a championship
I have them at a 9, because I don't like fractions.

Ravens

or decimals

I’d give the Bucs a 9, not just because the made the divisional round, but because they took all their big cap hits from the Brady years and now can move forward with a clean slate. Big success.

Ravens

or decimals
Dewey invented those, right?

Steelers: 6

They made the playoffs despite a terrible OC, poor QB play, two bad offensive lineman and defense plagued with injuries. I may be deluding myself but I do think had TJ Watt been healthy they just might have upset Buffalo.

Bears=7

I'm right there with you on about 95% of this. I'd rate the season at a 5 though. Two losses to GB and 3 historic collapses. Bears were legitimately the worst team in the NFL through 4 weeks.

Mooney and Claypool were massive disappointments this year. Getsy was a bottom 5 OC. I'd love to see them pick up a better RB 1 this offseason.

Line will hopefully improve. I think a lot of Nate Davis' early season struggles were due to him losing his mother right as the season started. That can be a tough time. Whitehair needs to be out of the league.

Hoping Flus learned from his mistakes and Waldron is an improvement. I was disappointed in this year as I thought playoffs were a possibility.
Agree on the 5. The D improved but they lost some 4th qtr leads. That may be poor conditioning.

Giants: 2
Major step back from the previous season, and the future doesn't look particularly good.... but, they won a game against the Eagles, and the Tommy Cutlets thing was fun for like a week or two.

Dolphins

+'s - Winning record and playoff appearance for second straight season for first time since 2000/2001. Exciting offense. 70 point game. Devon Achane and Tyreek Hill.
-'s - Injuries, narrative of not beating good teams (a little undeserved as ALL of the early ones were on the road and exactly 0 times did they play a good team in Miami in a game where home field advantage actually was an advantage), not winning playoff game though that road game in -5 degrees was brutal.

Overall: 7 (sure beats 2007, 2015, 2019 and countless other years).

I'd give them an 8.5 or 9. To many loses this year to be a 10. With the talent they've amassed, 15-2 should have been the result.

My local team Carolina is easy...1.

Yup...that describes the season. Mortgage the future for magic beans. Young doesn't meet expectations. First year coach fired halfway through the season. 5000 fans show up for a game, Tickets going for $5 each. Owner throws a drink at a fan like he's from PA.

Bears=7

Agree on the 5. The D improved but they lost some 4th qtr leads. That may be poor conditioning.
I chalk it up to poor OC. Pretty much all the lost leads were because the offense turtled up.

Bears=7

I chalk it up to poor OC. Pretty much all the lost leads were because the offense turtled up.
That's very fair. First Detroit game was brutal. They played for FGs multiple times this year and it cost them Ws.

Users who are viewing this thread