Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

49ers jump up to #3 pick in draft


Recommended Posts

The 49ers weren't planning to be picking #12 or higher again any time in the near future. In a draft class with this many talented QBs I think it makes sense to move up to secure one of them right now. I also think Shanny and Saleh have spoken about draft day plans. I understand the deal but I also understand it is a lot to give up for a guy who is not going to be considered the #1 QB in the draft. As a fan, I'm excited about the possibility of what could be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Deamon said:

I think this happened.  And word is Philly wanted to move up to 3 too... Howie and Douglas are pretty close.

If 4 teams were making offers for pick 3, it's very likely that word leaked that Wilson would be there at 3.

I just can’t believe there are any friendly information exchanges to “know for a certainty” who will be there. I do understand QB value, but that is so much for what is likely to be the third QB drafted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rzrback77 said:

I just can’t believe there are any friendly information exchanges to “know for a certainty” who will be there. I do understand QB value, but that is so much for what is likely to be the third QB drafted.

Yes but if the Jets are locked into fields at 2, a friendly call to his old coach who got him to where he is wouldn't hurt. I'm sure the Jets would rather sf get Wilson then Miami have the 3rd pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Yes but if the Jets are locked into fields at 2, a friendly call to his old coach who got him to where he is wouldn't hurt. I'm sure the Jets would rather sf get Wilson then Miami have the 3rd pick. 

The Jets are said to be locked in on Wilson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rzrback77 said:

I just can’t believe there are any friendly information exchanges to “know for a certainty” who will be there. I do understand QB value, but that is so much for what is likely to be the third QB drafted.

I think too many people are fixated on this trade being for the "3rd QB". Teams don't think that way. The grade they place on these guys is independent of other QBs in this class.  If the worst guy they could possibly get at #3 is graded high enough to justify the deal in their minds, they don't care that two others are rated higher. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

I think too many people are fixated on this trade being for the "3rd QB". Teams don't think that way. The grade they place on these guys is independent of other QBs in this class.  If the worst guy they could possibly get at #3 is graded high enough to justify the deal in their minds, they don't care that two others are rated higher. 

This would be correct.  They clearly have three different players they would pay that price for.

Same with Miami.  They clearly have three different non QBs they were happy to pay pick 12 and future 1st to get

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

I think too many people are fixated on this trade being for the "3rd QB". Teams don't think that way. The grade they place on these guys is independent of other QBs in this class.  If the worst guy they could possibly get at #3 is graded high enough to justify the deal in their minds, they don't care that two others are rated higher. 

I think that they do care

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've seen a lot of speculation today that the target would be Lance not Fields.  Neither Lynch nor Shanny went to Lance's pro day.  Would they target a kid they didn't care enough about to watch him live?

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, facook said:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've seen a lot of speculation today that the target would be Lance not Fields.  Neither Lynch nor Shanny went to Lance's pro day.  Would they target a kid they didn't care enough about to watch him live?

I know I've heard this happening before.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, facook said:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've seen a lot of speculation today that the target would be Lance not Fields.  Neither Lynch nor Shanny went to Lance's pro day.  Would they target a kid they didn't care enough about to watch him live?

Well, Chris Simms is BFF’s with Shanahan, and he said Mac Jones will get serious consideration. 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

so Peter King was just on local radio talking about the Panthers, and how (If they can’t work out anything for a quarterback upgrade ) then within a day or two of the draft they might want to get that 3rd pick for something crazy, like 3x 1sts and Beidgewater. that it’s 5 weeks before the draft, which makes this very unusual and very unpredictable. :unsure:

His gut tells him the Niners are taking a QB though. 
 

ETA that said, Jets are likely staying at 2, & Falcons (division rival) are at 4, so if CAR trades up, Niners hold all the cards. 
 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

3 seems very high for Mac Jones

I get that. And I agree. But Simms is tight with Shannahan. I would guess they want Lance and will let him sit behind Garoppolo for a year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

3 seems very high for Mac Jones

Son of a....

 

@mortreport--

Kyle Shanahan had success with Matt Ryan and he and Mike Shanahan had a love for Kirk Cousins. Agree with Simms here. I see

@MacJones_10 as the 49ers' pick and @treylance09 as the fallback. That is mocking Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson as the first two picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, facook said:

Son of a....

 

@mortreport--

Kyle Shanahan had success with Matt Ryan and he and Mike Shanahan had a love for Kirk Cousins. Agree with Simms here. I see

@MacJones_10 as the 49ers' pick and @treylance09 as the fallback. That is mocking Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson as the first two picks.

Why would they move to 3 to get a guy they could get at 10? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Why would they move to 3 to get a guy they could get at 10? 

Crazy momentum building for this being Jones

I agree with you though this makes the trade absolutely ridiculous

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, facook said:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've seen a lot of speculation today that the target would be Lance not Fields.  Neither Lynch nor Shanny went to Lance's pro day.  Would they target a kid they didn't care enough about to watch him live?

P-p-p-p-poker face mah p-poker face.

  • Thinking 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So to move down from 3 to 6 the Dolphins got a 2023 1st.  The way some people devalue future picks, what would a 2023 1st be viewed as in this draft.  Late 2nd?  (I don't view future picks that way but many seem to).

The initial dolphins trade seemed GREAT for them, but now they moved back to 6 for "not so much"?

So does that mean the Eagles made out big?  

Weird how value looks depending on the type of deal, and to look at the totality of it all.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jabarony said:

Gotta say I'm slightly bummed this happened today and not draft night.  I like this kind of trade action "live".

It's 5 weeks (less 1 day) until the draft.  Peter King suspects more shenanigans will take place on draft day, or shortly before. 

He sees the 49ers are being in a position to trade back down if the guy they want doesn't make it to 3. And apparently Carolina would 1. like one of the 3 young guys, and 2. might be willing to pay the same king's ransom as the 49ers just did to get that pick from them. 

Again, that's just one dude's opinion but it seems like it isn't a done deal just yet that the Niners will be picking 3rd. At least, it's a possibility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, menobrown said:

I've seen the Mac Jones takes by Mort, Orlosvky, Jeremiah and Simms and I normally respect those people but these takes erode some of that respect.

Holy Smokes, what is going on with the Mac Jones media frenzy?

Some of these ESPN peeps are going to burst into tears if the Patriots draft him.  

Seriously, it's almost creepy.  

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, massraider said:

Holy Smokes, what is going on with the Mac Jones media frenzy?

Some of these ESPN peeps are going to burst into tears if the Patriots draft him.  

Seriously, it's almost creepy.  

What specifically are you talking about? I haven't seen what you're seeing. Is it love? hate? What's the story, morning glory?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TakiToki said:

Chris Simms definitely knows who SF is taking. He also is saying whatever Shanahan wants him to say.

In one of the odder things I heard yesterday, apparently Simms and Shanahan got their ankles tattooed with the other guy’s initials 20 years ago when they were teammates at Texas. NTTAWWT. They are still pretty much besties and as you said Simms would know who they will take there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

So to move down from 3 to 6 the Dolphins got a 2023 1st.  The way some people devalue future picks, what would a 2023 1st be viewed as in this draft.  Late 2nd?  (I don't view future picks that way but many seem to).

The initial dolphins trade seemed GREAT for them, but now they moved back to 6 for "not so much"?

So does that mean the Eagles made out big?  

Weird how value looks depending on the type of deal, and to look at the totality of it all.

Dolphins netted a 2023 1st, 2022 3rd, a move down from a 2021 4th to 5th, and a swap of 2022 1sts with a team that only won 6 games this past year.

All to move down 3 spots and still be able to draft one of the guys they likely would have taken at 3.

Edited by Buckna
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Dolphins netted a 2023 1st, 2022 3rd, a move down from a 2021 4th to 5th, and a swap of 2022 1sts with a team that only won 6 games this past year.

All to move down 3 spots and still be able to draft one of the guys they likely would have taken at 3.

Wish my Lion’s were smart enough to have done this the last few years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

I think too many people are fixated on this trade being for the "3rd QB". Teams don't think that way. The grade they place on these guys is independent of other QBs in this class.  If the worst guy they could possibly get at #3 is graded high enough to justify the deal in their minds, they don't care that two others are rated higher. 

I think me, and most others, find it hard to believe they think there are 3 qbs worth that much in 1 draft. And I don't think they pick a grade for qbs and blindly follow it. Seems a position where there's a lot of things that go into it and if you're going to overpay massively, you have to find your guy. I have to believe that Shanahan loves one of the qbs and knows the Jets aren't picking them. I actually think it's Lance but we'll see. But the idea that the scouts have super high grades on 3 qbs and they don't care which one they draft seems unlikely to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rockaction said:

What specifically are you talking about? I haven't seen what you're seeing. Is it love? hate? What's the story, morning glory?

In a year with so many good QB, the pre-draft chatter on any broadcast TV in unwatchable.  But I have the annoying habit of putting on Get Up as my background noise in the AM.  

He's this year's "We've decided he's the most cerebral and competitive leader".  This is where they take all of the traits that cannot be accurately measured and bestow them to one guy, and then prattle on for weeks about him until the draft.  

In a shocking turn of events, a slow white dude has won this award for the unprecedented I don't know how many years.  :D

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

 But the idea that the scouts have super high grades on 3 qbs and they don't care which one they draft seems unlikely to me.

Did anyone say they dont care which one they get?

IMO, and this is very obvious, there are three different QBs in this draft that they would pay that price to move up to get.

OBVIOUSLY they have a preference and "care" who goes #2. 

It's basically the same in fantasy.  If you trade up for the #3 pick this year before the draft starts you are doing so with the idea that you would still be happy with the deal if your top 2 guys are off the board and you get your #3 rated player.

It doesnt mean you dont CARE who you get

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, massraider said:

Holy Smokes, what is going on with the Mac Jones media frenzy?

Some of these ESPN peeps are going to burst into tears if the Patriots draft him.  

Seriously, it's almost creepy.  

Their objective is not to be right. It's to be interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not saying Mac Jones isn't good, but isn't there like a Mac Jones type dude every year? What exactly is "special" about Jones to warrant dumping that much draft capital? I get why people are speculating they'll take Jones since these are the same guys that passed on both Watson and Mahomes... but typically when a team invests this much in a pick, it's because they're targeting a guy w/ a sky high ceiling.

Edited by chinawildman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

I'm not saying Mac Jones isn't good, but isn't there like a Mac Jones type dude every year? What exactly is "special" about Jones to warrant dumping that much draft capital? I get why people are speculating they'll take Jones since these are the same guys that passed on both Watson and Mahomes... but typically when a team invests this much in a pick, it's because they're targeting a guy w/ a sky high ceiling.

agreed - that’s why I think it’s fields. Shanny knows he needs a next-Gen type QB with upside. I think Mac has a good agent flooding the zone right now. 

I don’t buy the Matt Ryan comps, nor do I think that necessarily makes him any better a fit for what Shanny wants to do. Shanny gets the most out of the players he’s got. I don’t think he’ll go out of his way (or draft 7-10 picks too high) a boring QB with limited upside who’s good under pressure & makes the short & intermediate throws. Sure, that describes Matty Ice - but that also basically describes Alex Smith. 

Fields has to be the guy at 3, or they wouldn’t have paid that much to move up. If they did, fire Shanny & Lynch 8 seconds after they pick Mac. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...