What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

17 regular season games mean 6.25% more fun (1 Viewer)

Not quite sure why so many are against this. They also took away a pre-season game. With one fewer pre-season game the starters will see even less time pre-season (where injury risks are higher on a game by game basis). Shouldn't add that much injury risk on aggregate

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite sure why so many are against this. They also took away a pre-season game. With one fewer pre-season game the starters will see even less time pre-season (where injury risks are higher on a game by game basis). Shouldn't add that much injury risk on aggregate
This is something of a false equivalence. Starters don’t play that much until the 3rd “dress rehearsal” preseason game. And then hardly at all in the last game.

equating the risk of injury during those preseason games to the risk of injury in a full in-season game? Yeah, I don’t see that. 

I’m happy they’re taking away a preseason game, but that doesn’t even out the injury risk of an extra regular season game as suggested. 
Agree the risk is higher in the reg season game.  But not by much.  Don't think renesauz was suggesting the preseason was MORE, just that it does count and the difference isn't that big.  Plus, like you say, lots of the starters might be resting week 16 anyways :P   haha kidding.

I hope the NFL doesn't push teams into the later bye weeks they are late enough as it is.

Didn't enjoy week 13 byes at all for the National contests last year but who knows how the NFL will treat the bye weeks.

This is another reason if the National contests extend the regular season then less chance the byes hit their playoffs like last year.
I think they will keep it at week 13 as the latest.  The pushing of the season will help.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
This is something of a false equivalence. Starters don’t play that much until the 3rd “dress rehearsal” preseason game. And then hardly at all in the last game.

equating the risk of injury during those preseason games to the risk of injury in a full in-season game? Yeah, I don’t see that. 
From An article linked in the other 17 game thread...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

"The NFL calling it a restructured season rather than an expanded season is intentional, of course, and references the change from a 16 regular-season/four preseason game format to a 17 regular-season/three preseason game model. The league and union agreed on this in part based on injury data that broke down all football activities (regular season games, regular season practices, preseason games, training camp practices, joint practices, etc.) and found that the highest injury rate was actually in preseason games. So, as they saw it, the healthy-and-safety difference from one model to the other was seen as a push."

"The NFL calling it a restructured season rather than an expanded season is intentional, of course, and references the change from a 16 regular-season/four preseason game format to a 17 regular-season/three preseason game model. The league and union agreed on this in part based on injury data that broke down all football activities (regular season games, regular season practices, preseason games, training camp practices, joint practices, etc.) and found that the highest injury rate was actually in preseason games. So, as they saw it, the healthy-and-safety difference from one model to the other was seen as a push."
I can see this.  I probably see the regular season being more of an injury risk but not by an insane margin.  Plus... yes the cap will go down due to covid, but I'm sure in the long run, players will be making more money from this.  I'm all for it.

renesauz said:
I don't mind it at all, but it can have a negative impact on the fringe roster players who usually play more in the preseason and need that game to show their skill.

It is absolutely insane that the NFLPA agreed to this without every single player getting an extra game-check.  Plus those who do get the extra check are having those checks funded by depleting other pools of money.  I think there is going to be outcry and a potential strike over this..

Yes, because the NFL is the best source on this rather than common sense. 

:rolleyes:  

This is total nonsense.  "as they saw it" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that paragraph. 

I can see this.  I probably see the regular season being more of an injury risk but not by an insane margin.  Plus... yes the cap will go down due to covid, but I'm sure in the long run, players will be making more money from this.  I'm all for it.
I see # of snaps equating to # of injuries. 

Yes, players get hurt in the preseason. Some aren't in football shape, some will never see a day on an active roster. 

You can make statistics say a lot of things, including complete bull***t like that. 

But the more a player is on the field, the greater their chance of injury. This isn't some mysterious advanced calculous here. It's simply logic.

The NFL thinks everyone is stupid and will buy this hook, line & sinker.  There's no way in hell that a player who's in on 80+% of snaps in a regular season game is less likely to be injured than during the preseason when they're playing for maybe a quarter or 2 per game (and weeks 1 & 4 likely not at all). 

That's some hot nonsense. 

Yes, because the NFL is the best source on this rather than common sense. 

:rolleyes:  

This is total nonsense.  "as they saw it" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that paragraph. 
I’m not saying they’re totally reliable but if you can make up injury statistics to support your claim, I guess the NFL can as well. 

I see # of snaps equating to # of injuries. 

Yes, players get hurt in the preseason. Some aren't in football shape, some will never see a day on an active roster. 

You can make statistics say a lot of things, including complete bull***t like that. 

But the more a player is on the field, the greater their chance of injury. This isn't some mysterious advanced calculous here. It's simply logic.

The NFL thinks everyone is stupid and will buy this hook, line & sinker.  There's no way in hell that a player who's in on 80+% of snaps in a regular season game is less likely to be injured than during the preseason when they're playing for maybe a quarter or 2 per game (and weeks 1 & 4 likely not at all). 

That's some hot nonsense. 
Yes I agree with you, the game is higher risk. 

I just think it's marginal.

I’m not saying they’re totally reliable but if you can make up injury statistics to support your claim, I guess the NFL can as well. 
Except I'm not making up injury stats.

I'm saying that playing more snaps = greater chance of injury. It's a direct correlation, since every snap played is another opportunity for injury to occur. Do you think that's made up? Seems like something that's universally accepted as fact. It's not rocket science then to say "fewer snaps = fewer opportunities for injury". 

None of that is made up. it's called "math". I didn't make up math, I just know how to do the basics of it. 

The NFL thinks we collectively don't. 

Question: if you drive your car more, are you more, or less likely to get into a car accident? And if, when you drive, you drive slowly and carefully, are you less or more likely to get into a car accident than if you drive fast and recklessly? Pretty sure we all know the answers to these questions, since it's also obvious. And it's a good analogy to pre-season snap count/intensity & regular season snap count & intensity. 

None of that is made up. It's obvious. 

Except I'm not making up injury stats.

I'm saying that playing more snaps = greater chance of injury. It's a direct correlation, since every snap played is another opportunity for injury to occur. Do you think that's made up? Seems like something that's universally accepted as fact. It's not rocket science then to say "fewer snaps = fewer opportunities for injury". 

None of that is made up. it's called "math". I didn't make up math, I just know how to do the basics of it. 

The NFL thinks we collectively don't. 

Question: if you drive your car more, are you more, or less likely to get into a car accident? And if, when you drive, you drive slowly and carefully, are you less or more likely to get into a car accident than if you drive fast and recklessly? Pretty sure we all know the answers to these questions, since it's also obvious. And it's a good analogy to pre-season snap count/intensity & regular season snap count & intensity. 

None of that is made up. It's obvious. 
I like a 17 game season and 1 less pre-season game (where players might get hurt in a meaningless game).

Thanks for the math lesson.

With the claim that more players get hurt in preseason, implying that somehow regular season games are safer. 

Textbook gaslighting. 
Right, but are you feeling they peed on you? I’m pretty sure the complaints should come from the players if they feel they got peed on. 

We will see if the players get disgruntled. Hopefully two bye weeks, one less preseason game, etc... can compensate for increased injury risk. 

Right, but are you feeling they peed on you? I’m pretty sure the complaints should come from the players if they feel they got peed on. 

We will see if the players get disgruntled. Hopefully two bye weeks, one less preseason game, etc... can compensate for increased injury risk. 
There's 2 bye weeks now?

There's 2 bye weeks now?
Not this year.  If they do go to this eventually it will create mass havoc in fantasy not only for having to cover now for 2 weeks from bye players but also extending another week of the season and possibly pushing bye weeks into the fantasy playoffs for many teams.  If you have 2 bye weeks your going to want them not near the same time thus a lot of teams will probably have them in the late season.

Not this year.  If they do go to this eventually it will create mass havoc in fantasy not only for having to cover now for 2 weeks from bye players but also extending another week of the season and possibly pushing bye weeks into the fantasy playoffs for many teams.  If you have 2 bye weeks your going to want them not near the same time thus a lot of teams will probably have them in the late season.
Ya I don't think they'll ever go to 2 bye weeks

That once 4th preseason game, is that going to now be a week off before the regular season starts?  And then the 17th game will be tacked onto to end pushing back the playoffs a week?

That once 4th preseason game, is that going to now be a week off before the regular season starts?  And then the 17th game will be tacked onto to end pushing back the playoffs a week?
yes. sounds that way. Week off between pre-season game #3 and regular season game #1. And playoffs and super bowl will all be a week later this year.

I just as soon keep it at 16...  its just a money grab... do we really need 17 games to determine play-off seeding?  Give me quality.  Put your 17 game season and Thursday night games into the dumper with the USFL (1982-1986)

Hot Sauce Guy said:

I'm thinking starters will play even LESS with only 3 games to evaluate depth....and while it certainly won't be a full game less, I do believe statistically players get hurt more often in preseason games. Maybe because of desperate borderline guys trying hard to make teams? As in a full pre-season game is significantly more risky then a full regular season game, statistically. In any case, while taking away a pre-season game doesn't exactly balance adding a regular season game, it certainly DOES make a difference. The added risk of injury is fairly small on balance.

And we're paying a FORTUNE to these guys for that risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking starters will play even LESS with only 3 games to evaluate depth....and while it certainly won't be a full game less, I do believe statistically players get hurt more often in preseason games. Maybe because of desperate borderline guys trying hard to make teams? As in a full pre-season game is significantly more risky then a full regular season game, statistically. In any case, while taking away a pre-season game doesn't exactly balance adding a regular season game, it certainly DOES make a difference. The added risk of injury is fairly small on balance.

I think game #2 will be the only one where starters play most of the game and game 3 will be like the old game 4 for the backups trying to make the cut. 

While I hate that preseason games are crazy expensive, I feel like that takes a way way back seat to the risk of player health & safety. 

anything to eliminate at least 1 pre-season game, I'm all for it. 

next, please arrange ALL bye weeks to fall on the same date. ENOUGH of the 'afc east and nfc central are off today'. nfc west and afc south next week. red uniformed teams off the week after.then blue, green. gold, pewter, purple.

damn if there's nothing more annoying that half of the nfl season brought to it's knees with bye weeks.

Leroy Hoard said:
I think game #2 will be the only one where starters play most of the game and game 3 will be like the old game 4 for the backups trying to make the cut. 
I don’t see a lot of starters playing much at all in preseason now

Users who are viewing this thread