What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

States Ranked... Your Top 10? (1 Viewer)

So let's look at the Ocean/Gulf and Mountain states by checking all the Ocean/Gulf states:

Texas - No mountains

Louisiana - No mountains

Mississippi - No mountains

Alabama - No mountains

Florida - No mountains

Georgia - Small amount of mountains

South Carolina - Tiny amount, maybe, of mountains

North Carolina - Mountains

Virginia - Mountains 

Maryland - Tiny shoreline and small amount of mountains

Delaware - No mountains

New Jersey - No mountains

New York - Mountains

Connecticut - No mountains

Rhode Island - No mountains

Massachusetts - No mountains

New Hampshire - Tiny shoreline but Mountains

Maine - Tiny amount of mountains

Alaska - Mountains

Washington - Mountains

Oregon - Mountains

California - Mountains

Hawaii - Mountains

So the top of the list should include: Maybe GA, NC, VA, NY, AK, WA, OR, CA and HI

At least in my opinion.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Nj gets a bad rap imo.  Yes I live here, yes taxes are crazy but it really is like 3 or 4 different states in one.

You have the "NYC suburbs" / north cities.

You do have the Jersey shore types 

But then you have a whole beach vibe area and even this has different beach atmospheres

A bunch of regular suburban areas 

Some "country" areas.

Just different pockets 

But I guess many states are like that? :shrug:

Nj gets a bad rap imo.  Yes I live here, yes taxes are crazy but it really is like 3 or 4 different states in one.

But then you have a whole beach vibe area and even this has different beach atmospheres

Some "country" areas.

Just different pockets 

I need to get to more NJ exits.  Spent way too much time in Newark for my liking. Especially in the winter. Saw the harshness of winter suck the life out of people. Portuguese restaurants were good though 

@Joe BryantYou guys still have Wisdom of the Crowd software, right?  Where you can pick between two options, and over all the iterations, an overall rank settles out?  Throw in a states battle and let's see where states rank among educated white 46-year-old males.

My top 10

1. Cali - Come on the weather and culture and beaches and parks.  Can't be beat

2. Mass - I like it for it's history and quant towns and ocean views

3. Oregon - Almost same as mass but with more geology

4. Idaho - See Oregon but with less good urban spaces

5. New York - Mostly because of upstate

6. Vermont - I have skied across this great land and I have never had as much fun as I had skiing in Vermont

7. New Mexico - As an outdoor enthusiast, so spectacular

8. Colorado - see above

9. North Carolina  - some cool towns and cool beaches

10. Maine - I loved my time there. Great landscape, great people

Pretty tough to pick...In no particular order:

Washington, California, Hawaii, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Maine, North Carolina, Florida

I can't deal with humidity. Florida Keys and the North Carolina mountain towns grant those states an exception!

So let's look at the Ocean/Gulf and Mountain states by checking all the Ocean/Gulf states:

Texas - No mountains

Louisiana - No mountains

Mississippi - No mountains

Alabama - No mountains

Florida - No mountains

Georgia - Small amount of mountains

South Carolina - Tiny amount, maybe, of mountains

North Carolina - Mountains

Virginia - Mountains 

Maryland - Tiny shoreline and small amount of mountains

Delaware - No mountains

New Jersey - No mountains

New York - Mountains

Connecticut - No mountains

Rhode Island - No mountains

Massachusetts - No mountains

New Hampshire - Tiny shoreline but Mountains

Maine - Tiny amount of mountains

Alaska - Mountains

Washington - Mountains

Oregon - Mountains

California - Mountains

Hawaii - Mountains

So the top of the list should include: Maybe GA, NC, VA, NY, AK, WA, OR, CA and HI

At least in my opinion.  
Western MD is part of a legit snow belt and a ski resort around Deep Creek Lake.  Peaks top out around 3,000 feet, but you they're real and you can travel into WV (slightly higher peaks) easily as well.

@Joe BryantYou guys still have Wisdom of the Crowd software, right?  Where you can pick between two options, and over all the iterations, an overall rank settles out?  Throw in a states battle and let's see where states rank among educated white 46-year-old males.
I think that's probably somewhat how they did this. You pick two options close together and let tons of people choose one or the other and then it's a math project to build out. 

stlrams said:
Don’t understand Idaho low ranking when they have the highest population growth from people moving there. 
Idaho is my number one but it’s still full of #### heads. 

This was my first thought.  This list way overrates Colorado.  It has become California with better mountains.  Or as I like to say Colorfornia.  
Sounds like you're underrating the mountains in California.  Been to Yosemite or through the Redwoods? 

And speaking of overrating, you may be underrating the Pacific Ocean and a massive, diverse coastline with the occasional sunset.

Judge Smails said:
I need to get to more NJ exits.  Spent way too much time in Newark for my liking. Especially in the winter. Saw the harshness of winter suck the life out of people. Portuguese restaurants were good though 
FWIW, Newark and southern NJ are two totally worlds.  If Newark was someone's only trip to NJ and they came away with "I hate all of NJ"...that's not fair.

I mean, California has to be the clear winner here no? I feel like no matter what you're after, you can pretty much find it SOMEWHERE in Cali
Well, the original message was intentionally vague. In terms of visiting it's difficult to argue it outside near the top of the list (we'll be back). But living there? Get the #### outta here.

belljr said:

Some "country" areas.

Just different pockets 

Most people don't see past Newark with maybe the exception of Atlantic City.   So most people just see the arm pit. 

Honest question... are you really saying this as a resident of Ohio?
I enjoy where I live for all but about 6 weeks per year. Just about anything I want to do on a regular basis is within an hour of my house. And I really enjoy how much it costs to live here. 

Brony said:
I want to like Wyoming more but I've been to Cheyenne. 
In other words you haven't BEEN to Wyoming just a place to get you to Wyoming.  Kinda like Anchorage is a place to help get you to Alaska.

belljr said:

Some "country" areas.

Just different pockets 

I do think NJ is a bit underrated. It should be a lot higher than the 48th that the link has it.  I think NJ just has an overall population density problem. It is not as bad in the southern part of the state, but beaches are still pretty crowded, which is the main activity in southern NJ. I feel like a lot of my personal list had the least dense states though, because I apparently hate people.

Apparently I live in the most desirable place to live in the country. We are #1 with a bullet in the real estate market in the entire country (Nashua, NH).

Idaho is my number one but it’s still full of #### heads. 
and it gets more heat waves & cold snaps than the other Great Basin states. the whole charm to the high-desert west is that there are these micro-climate valleys that give you a break on both. for some reason the Snake/Boise River valley dont do that. plus the ####head refugees...

Users who are viewing this thread