What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Biden Still Wearing a Mask? (1 Viewer)

So all those “peaceful protests” that went on last summer, all in violation of governmental rules on social distancing - if those people were all issued tickets or arrested, you would have the same comment blaming the protesters?  Can’t wait to hear this.  😆
Ahh more whataboutism.

And yes...i have no problem if anyone was ticketed or asked to leave or whatever.  I have never supported violent protests either.

None of which has a thing to do with the string of posts in here.  So why deflect?

Meanwhile the ACC OUTDOOR Track and Field Championships are taking place TODAY in Raleigh.  NO SPECTATORS ALLOWED.  It just goes to show what I’ve always said - supposed smart people can be some of the dumbest people on the planet.
I need to look into some of these.  The SEC baseball tourney in Hoover coming up is supposedly capped at 50%.  I know many are already playing at 100%.  May be the conference offices for now giving some leeway to the NCAA's wishes or it may be that the NCAA has some hand in it, not sure which.

Ahh more whataboutism.

And yes...i have no problem if anyone was ticketed or asked to leave or whatever.  I have never supported violent protests either.

None of which has a thing to do with the string of posts in here.  So why deflect?
Don’t ever change sho.

Guess you should have gone to an SEC school, they are allowing fans at the track championship :)

I'm almost positive it's up to the conferences.  I need to find the link.  We had different schools with different attendance policies 

ACC softball tournament allowing fans

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to look into some of these.  The SEC baseball tourney in Hoover coming up is supposedly capped at 50%.  I know many are already playing at 100%.  May be the conference offices for now giving some leeway to the NCAA's wishes or it may be that the NCAA has some hand in it, not sure which.
I could write a book about my experiences with the NCAA, and Clemson in particular.  I’ve been upfront and personal with the power and politics of both this year, and trust me when I tell you - the leaders of the NCAA are some of the worst people I’ve ever met.  Pathological liars.

Yes.  Because as it turns out, there are people out there who understand how ludicrous it is not to let parents into a large, outdoor stadium, with masks on, where they can literally sit 50 feet apart, when a block away the baseball team has been playing to crowds all season, in a conference where Clemson football played in front of crowds all season in the Fall, on the same day when the CDC lifted mask mandates for vaccinated people outdoors AND indoors, where the athletes have all been vaccinated, where herd immunity almost exists within the parents’ age group, when parents and kids were robbed of a season last year when outdoor track was canceled, and in many cases this is the crowing moments of the kid’s athletic career and perhaps his last race...  Yeah, turns out there’s a very good chance the person working the gate is not on the spectrum and has the mental capacity to understand that some rules are made to be broken.  And if that doesn’t work you hang out with other parents, watch it on livestream, party a little, enjoy some good company, and make fun of the elitist Liberal tyrants and the idiots who defend their insane policies.
I mean I get you are frustrated and don't agree with the rules.   Just because the CDC lifted mask mandates, doesn't mean the rules for that track event automatically changed that day.  Doesn't mean the people working the event had the authority to make changes on the fly.  

Basically it sounds like a group of frustrated parents showed up expecting to get their way and didn't.  :lol: at anyone attributing this to "liberal tyrants".  

I am not defending the policies - doesn't seem to make a ton of sense to have that different of rules between different sports (was there ever a reason given why? ).  But it does seem like they haven't changed throughout the season, people knew that, showed up expecting it to change magically, and got pissed that it didn't.   Yup, sounds like sport parents.  

I mean I get you are frustrated and don't agree with the rules.   Just because the CDC lifted mask mandates, doesn't mean the rules for that track event automatically changed that day.  Doesn't mean the people working the event had the authority to make changes on the fly.  

Basically it sounds like a group of frustrated parents showed up expecting to get their way and didn't.  :lol: at anyone attributing this to "liberal tyrants".  

I am not defending the policies - doesn't seem to make a ton of sense to have that different of rules between different sports (was there ever a reason given why? ).  But it does seem like they haven't changed throughout the season, people knew that, showed up expecting it to change magically, and got pissed that it didn't.   Yup, sounds like sport parents.  
Different governing bodies.  When you play in conference or NCAA tournament or playoffs they dictate attendance because technically they are the host, even though normally it is at a university site.  For instance, Ole Miss and Miss St have had 100% baseball attendance or a couple months now.  Both are in the top 8 in NCAA baseball so will host regionals, and super regionals should they win those.  The NCAA has already informed them they'd be mandating a 50% cap on attendance even though the state is open and both have been operating at full capacity.

Different governing bodies.  When you play in conference or NCAA tournament or playoffs they dictate attendance because technically they are the host, even though normally it is at a university site.  For instance, Ole Miss and Miss St have had 100% baseball attendance or a couple months now.  Both are in the top 8 in NCAA baseball so will host regionals, and super regionals should they win those.  The NCAA has already informed them they'd be mandating a 50% cap on attendance even though the state is open and both have been operating at full capacity.
Thanks.  So you are saying that would be the difference in policy of a regular season SEC game vs a tournament game? 

So why would SEC track be different than SEC baseball, for example? 

( it's late, maybe I did miss this part in previous posts tonight) 

Not expecting to get their way, not at all.  Sometimes you can’t fight stupid.  So they looked in from a gated fence surrounding the stadium, had a few adult beverages, and had a blast.  Sorry to disappoint you though.

Thanks.  So you are saying that would be the difference in policy of a regular season SEC game vs a tournament game? 

On the conference tournaments I think, and this is the one part I'm not sure of, is the conference offices and not the NCAA make that call.  That is specific for conference tournament events and not regular season nor playoff events.  I suspect I'll find out soon with the SEC baseball tournament.  It too is scheduled for 50%, but I suspect there will be an uproar over that so if it is the conference they'll have to defend it.  For regular season games it is up to the university and local government.  Also, if a conference tournament or NCAA playoff event is held on a site that, the fact is the host team doesn't have that final call.  It's the same concept as when the NCAA was going to pull out of South Carolina over the flag issue.  At that time USC baseball was really good and hosting those events frequently, but that issue would have forced the event out because the NCAA had authority over the playoff games.  Nothing that the host university can control even though they may do the ticketing due to logistics. 

The reason they used for our conference 

In order to maintain a safe environment and follow state COVID guidelines, fans for competitions on campus in the Spring of 2021 in the sports of baseball, lacrosse and softball will be limited to two parents or guardians per xxxxxx student-athletes. Guests of visiting teams will not be permitted to attend any events on xxxxxx campus.

Because of the large number of participants in track & field, spectators will not be permitted into xxxxxx home track meets 

All spectators are required to wear masks at all times and asked to maintain social distancing when possible. All fans must exit immediately once the event has concluded 

The SEC track tournament is being held in Texas and has limited tickets available

The reason they used for our conference 

In order to maintain a safe environment and follow state COVID guidelines, fans for competitions on campus in the Spring of 2021 in the sports of baseball, lacrosse and softball will be limited to two parents or guardians per xxxxxx student-athletes. Guests of visiting teams will not be permitted to attend any events on xxxxxx campus.

Because of the large number of participants in track & field, spectators will not be permitted into xxxxxx home track meets 

All spectators are required to wear masks at all times and asked to maintain social distancing when possible. All fans must exit immediately once the event has concluded 

The SEC track tournament is being held in Texas and has limited tickets available
Aaah - that makes sense, and I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks.  

Wait, first Biden is senile, now a study on mask wearing for young children applies to him?  Make up your mind!  I kid, I kid...

More seriously, this was a single, extremely small sample size study.  It also makes zero attempt to quantify or compare the benefits of mask-wearing as a COVID protection against the harms of CO2 buildup.  It simply states that the children experienced CO2 buildup.

Wait, first Biden is senile, now a study on mask wearing for young children applies to him?  Make up your mind!  I kid, I kid...

More seriously, this was a single, extremely small sample size study.  It also makes zero attempt to quantify or compare the benefits of mask-wearing as a COVID protection against the harms of CO2 buildup.  It simply states that the children experienced CO2 buildup.
The study was more of a response to prior conversations in this thread relating to a high school track runner who collapsed while wearing a mask.  

Furthermore, CO2 buildup isn't inherently a problem. Oxygen reduction is.

Since 78% of air is nitrogen, a CO2 buildup will take a proportional "bite" out of the amount of nitrogen. The oxygen content in the air (21%) will be much less affected -- it would have to drop down below 19.5% to affect breathing. CO2 is only 0.04% of air as it is -- even if the CO2 level increases 10-fold (to 0.4%), it only reduces the oxygen content of the air down to 20.7%.

EDIT: Furthermore, it's the air in a sealed enclosure that matters, not the air behind a mask. The mask is gas-permeable -- it doesn't matter that CO2 builds up behind a mask because when a mask-wearer breathes in, they're drawing air from their surroundings through the mask.

Doug B said:
Furthermore, CO2 buildup isn't inherently a problem. Oxygen reduction is.

Since 78% of air is nitrogen, a CO2 buildup will take a proportional "bite" out of the amount of nitrogen. The oxygen content in the air (21%) will be much less affected -- it would have to drop down below 19.5% to affect breathing. CO2 is only 0.04% of air as it is -- even if the CO2 level increases 10-fold (to 0.4%), it only reduces the oxygen content of the air down to 20.7%.

EDIT: Furthermore, it's the air in a sealed enclosure that matters, not the air behind a mask. The mask is gas-permeable -- it doesn't matter that CO2 builds up behind a mask because when a mask-wearer breathes in, they're drawing air from their surroundings through the mask.
That research letter is bizarre - CO2 PPM in inhaled air isn't a meaningful clinical metric. You need to know how gas exchange is occurring in the body, as the lungs and vasculature have acute and chronic adaptive responses to varying atmospheric conditions. The authors attribute symptoms kids have experienced to hypercapnia (excess carbon dioxide in the blood), yet they don't bother measuring it?!?

Fortunately, the partial pressure of CO2 (and oxygen) in the bloodstream has been measured in people wearing masks, and no meaningful differences have been seen during routine activities. This includes kids, as shown in another JAMA study:

Results  Among 47 children, 22 children (46.8%) were aged 24 months or younger (ie, group A), with 11 boys (50.0%) and median (interquartile range [IQR]) age 12.5 (10.0-17.5) months, and 25 children (53.2%) were aged older than 24 months to 144 months or younger, with 13 boys (52.0%) and median (IQR) age 100.0 (72.0-120.0) months. During the first 60 minutes of evaluation in the 2 groups, there was no significant change in group A in median (IQR) partial pressure of end-tidal carbon dioxide (Petco2; 33.0 [32.0-34.0] mm Hg; P for Kruskal Wallis = .59), oxygen saturation (Sao2; 98.0% [97.0%-99.0%]; P for Kruskal Wallis = .61), pulse rate (PR; 130.0 [115.0-140.0] pulsations/min; P for Kruskal Wallis = .99), or respiratory rate (RR; 30.0 [28.0-33.0] breaths/min; Pfor Kruskal Wallis = .69) or for group B in median (IQR) Petco2 (36.0 [34.0-38.0] mm Hg; P for Kruskal Wallis = .97), Sao2 (98.0% [97.0%-98.0%]; P for Kruskal Wallis = .52), PR (96.0 [84.0-104.5] pulsations/min; P for Kruskal Wallis test = .48), or RR (22.0 [20.0-25.0] breaths/min; P for Kruskal Wallis = .55). After the group B walking test, compared with before the walking test, there was a significant increase in median (IQR) PR (96.0 [84.0-104.5] pulsations/min vs 105.0 [100.0-115.0] pulsations/min; P < .02) and RR (22.0 [20.0-25.0] breaths/min vs 26.0 [24.0-29.0] breaths/min; P < .05).

Conclusions and Relevance  This cohort study among infants and young children in Italy found that the use of facial masks was not associated with significant changes in Sao2 or Petco2, including among children aged 24 months and younger.

Users who are viewing this thread