What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​⚽ OFFICIAL GOLD CUP THREAD: United States Beats Mexico. Again. ⚽ (1 Viewer)

Are we even allowed to replace injured players? I thought the mid tournament roster changes stopped being a thing
Yes, Concacaf issued a statement today.  I posted it earlier in the thread but its basically if a player will be out for rest of Gold Cup they can replaced.

It has to be approved though so teams don't try to replace for non injury/sickness reason.

Surprised to see Clark over Cowell. Is Clark just more of a winger?
I like both players but REALLY lkke Clark.  He screams to me our next big time player in a couple of years.

Cowell can play the wing and some striker.  Clark can play the wing and some of the 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
NewlyRetired said:
So we had guessed that Dike and Zardes were unlikely to compliment each other and that came true.

But from my eyes, it appeared evident that Zardes's soccer IQ is so much higher than Dike's.  Zardes was at least trying to make runs, pull defenders, and put in his work defensively.  Dike was basically a statue all game not knowing what to do unless the ball was passed directly to him.

Obviously Zardes is the finished product at his age and Dike's clay has barely started to melt enough to mold.

I'm all for giving Dike one more chance, but if he looks and plays like a construction porta-jon in July there's no way we can risk using him in qualification against anyone but the minnows.  Sarge may be no threat to score but at least he doesn't look like the fat kid picked last in gym class.

• Laughing
I'm all for giving Dike one more chance, but if he looks and plays like a construction porta-jon in July there's no way we can risk using him in qualification against anyone but the minnows.  Sarge may be no threat to score but at least he doesn't look like the fat kid picked last in gym class.

😅

*cannot use bored emojis or i'd insert that ridiculous rolling smiley*

oof

========================

Toronto FC forward Ayo Akinola suffered a torn ACL while on international duty with Canada against the United States on Sunday, the club announced Tuesday. He is expected to miss the remainder of the 2021 season.

The injury occurred in Akinola's first-ever start for the Canadian national team.

Akinola, 21, filed a one-time switch to represent Canada at the senior level ahead of the Gold Cup after featuring for the US at various youth national team levels. He was born in Detroit, but moved to Brampton, Ontario, when he was a year old. He is a product of TFC's academy and made his first team debut in 2018 before breaking out in 2020. He has 13 goals and two assists in 38 MLS matches (21 starts).

I am beating a dead horse here but I really think he is just tired. In the 2020 draft, goes from MLS to Barnsley and back, etc. If he transfers right after the GC to Europe I hope he can take some time away. 

Also - I really don't think we were ever going to learn much watching him play with this crew. The thought of him out there with the A team is still very tantalizing and it would be foolish to put him aside based on this tournament. He should absolutely be there when qualifying starts, along with Gyasi and Sargent imo. 

I am beating a dead horse here but I really think he is just tired. In the 2020 draft, goes from MLS to Barnsley and back, etc. If he transfers right after the GC to Europe I hope he can take some time away. 
Agree with this.  He's a big boy...only so much gas in the tank.

oof

========================

Toronto FC forward Ayo Akinola suffered a torn ACL while on international duty with Canada against the United States on Sunday, the club announced Tuesday. He is expected to miss the remainder of the 2021 season.

The injury occurred in Akinola's first-ever start for the Canadian national team.

Akinola, 21, filed a one-time switch to represent Canada at the senior level ahead of the Gold Cup after featuring for the US at various youth national team levels. He was born in Detroit, but moved to Brampton, Ontario, when he was a year old. He is a product of TFC's academy and made his first team debut in 2018 before breaking out in 2020. He has 13 goals and two assists in 38 MLS matches (21 starts).
Cyle Larin is out for the rest of the Gold Cup as well now with a leg injury.

NewlyRetired said:
So we had guessed that Dike and Zardes were unlikely to compliment each other and that came true.

But from my eyes, it appeared evident that Zardes's soccer IQ is so much higher than Dike's.  Zardes was at least trying to make runs, pull defenders, and put in his work defensively.  Dike was basically a statue all game not knowing what to do unless the ball was passed directly to him.

Obviously Zardes is the finished product at his age and Dike's clay has barely started to melt enough to mold.

If there were a must-win game tomorrow, life or death, its going to be Zardes 100%.

Can you promise Lletget never takes a corner or free kick then?  He is brutal to watch on those.
GGG's fascination with Lletget on free kicks is so odd.  I swear he has less than a 50% rate of getting it right, which is way too low for uncontested kicks.

Still raining heavily in Orlando

@GoldCup: UPDATE: The match between Costa Rica & Jamaica will not resume before 9:00pmET.

Still raining heavily in Orlando

@GoldCup: UPDATE: The match between Costa Rica & Jamaica will not resume before 9:00pmET.
@AustinDavid22: After a 2 hour and 15-minute delay, Costa Rica and Jamaica are back underway! #GoldCup

Assume I missed this up thread, but just in case...Zimmerman ruled out with a hamstring.  Henry Kessler (uh, no idea) and Cade Cowell called in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Assume I missed this up thread, but just in case...Zimmerman ruled out with a hamstring.  Henry Kessler (uh, no idea) and Cade Cowell called in. 
So was Nips also ruled out?  Who is Cowell replacing?

Kessler is a no non sense CB, with good distribution but a little slow.   I don't think he has ever been capped if memory serves.

So was Nips also ruled out?  Who is Cowell replacing?

Kessler is a no non sense CB, with good distribution but a little slow.   I don't think he has ever been capped if memory serves.
oh I see.  Cowell is here if either Dike or Nips can't play on Sunday.  They don't have to make an official decision until Saturday I think.

Zimmerman is a big loss.   I don't feel comfortable with Pines starting and I really wanted Sands at the 6 but I can't have both.

• Sad
As of right now, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras and Canada would be on the other side of the bracket.

El Salvador, Qatar and Jamaica would be on our side.

Weirdly, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Jamaica does not look very good (but then again neither does the US). 

I still feel like we should get by them in the quarter finals.

that Suriname/Guadaloupe match sure got very chippy - double reds for Guad, including a vicious tackle, then kicking the ball into the injured player at roughly the 93' mark ... nasty  :lol:

NewlyRetired said:
I am going to be very interested to see if they can figure out a 3-5-2

They have two legit stud strikers (Concacaf wise) in Larin and David while Buchanan and Davies appear to be absolutely perfect for the wing backs in a 3-5-2.  Both have unlimited speed with the ball and solid offensive chops while having enough experience as fullbacks as well.
They roll like this and the US pins them back with CP, Gio, and Dest.  Even with great makeup speed, if you're not in a good defensive set, CP or Dest will take you on the dribble.  Sargent would be a better #9 in this case since he puts in more work off the ball.  Weston and Mussah surging forward to take up space in the attacking third will help pin Canada's wingback. 

It is good to see Canada with a quality team.  That was missing from CONCACAF.

Saw this from Sciaretta's latest article.  I don't remember any formal competition in my life where we have been this inexperienced especially at such an important position.

==========

The central defense is extremely inexperienced with it now consisting of Kessler, Miles Robinson, James Sands, and Donovan Pines. Prior to the Gold Cup, three of those four central defenders had zero caps and Robinson had just three.

Saw this from Sciaretta's latest article.  I don't remember any formal competition in my life where we have been this inexperienced especially at such an important position.

==========

The central defense is extremely inexperienced with it now consisting of Kessler, Miles Robinson, James Sands, and Donovan Pines. Prior to the Gold Cup, three of those four central defenders had zero caps and Robinson had just three.
we are in such a bad spot.

The lack of any experience probably limits whether we can play three in the back, but if we don't play three in the back, we highlight how poor our wingers are if we return to a more traditional 4-3-3.

Oof

I know we're weak in the back, but if GGG doesn't take this opportunity to cap tie Cowell with Mexico sniffing around...whelp.
I agree. 

I know GGG wants to win it to help with the culture and mentality but I think as a fan I just want to find a few players to help the main squad.  Winning is secondary to me (if it happens great but if we go out in the semi's for example, I don't think that was an unreasonable result given the squad).

If we can add in cap tying Cowell, it just makes the Gold Cup that much more useful no matter where we finish.

Maybe 3 at the back with Cannon playing as the RCB?

Hard to believe we're in this position.  What horrendous roster construction. 

At this point,  cap tying the man child is an absolute no brainer

Maybe 3 at the back with Cannon playing as the RCB?
I saw some one else suggest this and I think it might work.  Cannon will likely have a lot less yips than Pines and having both Cannon and Moore together on the right will help mitigate Jamaica's speed advantage on the flanks. 

It will be interesting to see how the Revs screw this one up. 

=================

[Scianitti]: Sources say interest in Canadian defender/ midfielder Tajon Buchanan is growing. RC Lens of Ligue 1, and FC Augsburg of the Bundesliga, and Club Brugge of the Belgian First Division all have offers for Buchanan. More German and Portuguese clubs are planning offers @TSN_Sports

It will be interesting to see how the Revs screw this one up. 

=================

[Scianitti]: Sources say interest in Canadian defender/ midfielder Tajon Buchanan is growing. RC Lens of Ligue 1, and FC Augsburg of the Bundesliga, and Club Brugge of the Belgian First Division all have offers for Buchanan. More German and Portuguese clubs are planning offers @TSN_Sports
That kid is something special. I cant figure out what position he plays though- thought he was an out and out winger...but have heard him called an outside back and now a MF.

Canada looking good if they can get everybody healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread