What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Montana Man Confronts Tucker Carlson - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

What's your opinion on what the man did to Carlson?

• I encourage it.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Don't encourage it, but ok with it.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • On the fence.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Not cool. But not awful.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • Awful. Should never do that.

Votes: 46 35.4%

• Total voters
However, Carlson is a pretty flawed human who says things through the safety of a TV camera that affects and hurts people….

Maybe Montana Man feels like he was one of these affected people…. And he starts making decisions based on that emotion and anger.

I know if someone harassed, insulted, etc., my wife (for example) and I saw them out in public, I’m really not sure I could let it slide.

I mean, I probably should let it slide…. Just not sure I could.
Tucker Carlson just now on today's Jan 6 committee hearing:

"It was all too much for Adam Kinzinger, he wept just thinking of it. He let himself go, just let it all pour out right there in the hearing room. Kinzinger hadn't cried this hard since he drank too much rose while watching the final rose ceremony on The Batchlor"

Not saying he deserves to be called out in public. But maybe he does.

Last edited by a moderator:

"It was all too much for Adam Kinzinger, he wept just thinking of it. He let himself go, just let it all pour out right there in the hearing room. Kinzinger hadn't cried this hard since he drank too much rose while watching the final rose ceremony on The Batchlor"

Disgusting human being. Not saying he deserves to be called out in public. But maybe he does.
What a tough guy…

I just really can't believe anyone would feel this is a good idea.  We are headed down a dangerous slope, and have been for awhile on things like this.  Carlson for sure is a blowhard, and yes he's made a lot of money.  So have guys like Keith Olbermann from the left.  I can't imagine seeing one of these guys and thinking, "Boy I'm gonna really go show him and tell him off."  It's poor form and shows a lack of intelligence to try and verbally confront someone like that anyway.  It shows they've gotten to you and the only possible outcome is something bad for you if you do it.  Regardless, it's not ok to go and put your hands on someone.  We shouldn't encourage idiots like this where we are already having dramatic increases in violence. Whether it's the initial confrontation that causes violence or perhaps a someone working security intervening, it can't end in a positive way. 

Not saying he deserves to be called out in public. But maybe he does.
This guy is a pro’s pro when it comes to trolling. 

Does anyone keep seeing this thread title as "mountain man" and then think of that huge man in S1 of Better Call Saul that Mike laid the beatdown upon? 

dozer said:
What a tough guy…
You would think he might hold off for a week or so on questioning someone's manhood, what with his recent lack of alpha dominance caught on video ("I appreciate that"). May have to return that Brooks Brothers faux flannel he was rocking.

you give it out...you get it back

It's not my cup of tea but the guy does nothing but whine and cry and insult other people...

If there was a ticker at the bottom of his show displaying the number of people who decided against getting vaccinated because of his show and subsequently died then maybe people would have a different take.

Really are indeed ferreting out the people who I want nothing to do with in real life in this thread. Olbermann and company have done just as bad as Carlson in their vituperations and don't deserve the castigation Tucker got in this instance. It's quite sad people condone this.

All of you who do must feel very powerless about your political views and stances that you feel the need to accost the other side when acting as a private citizen.

I know SID would absolutely loathe this, this relentless personalization of all things political. You can't go through even an iota of life today without it being political. We've ceded the private realm to the sociopath monsters among us. Good job, America.

Really are indeed ferreting out the people who I want nothing to do with in real life in this thread. Olbermann and company have done just as bad as Carlson in their vituperations and don't deserve the castigation Tucker got in this instance. It's quite sad people condone this.

All of you who do must feel very powerless about your political views and stances that you feel the need to accost the other side when acting as a private citizen.

I know SID would absolutely loathe this, this relentless personalization of all things political. You can't go through even an iota of life today without it being political. We've ceded the private realm to the sociopath monsters among us. Good job, America.

Wait, what?...How did Keith Olbermann get into this thread discussion?  

Isn’t this what Tucker Carlson gets paid to do every night. It’s his currency. Dude is hacking it up every night.

Probably wouldn’t be my course of action if I saw this particular person in a store but am also pretty meh on it.

You would think he might hold off for a week or so on questioning someone's manhood, what with his recent lack of alpha dominance caught on video ("I appreciate that"). May have to return that Brooks Brothers faux flannel he was rocking.
Would you rather he had punched the guy in his face?

I'm not surprised. The lines have been drawn in modernity, and you seem to know what side you're on.

I'd prefer not to play at all and to condemn this crap when it happens. Unless people are actively using political power to interfere with my personal life, I'm going to leave them alone personally, barring extreme exceptions that I will allow. Tucker rises to a level nowhere near that.
Tucker and his ilk, yes Olbermann too, play a role in this. They troll for a living don’t be shocked when it comes back on you.

You choosing not to react to these pro level trolls in public is fine as well. 

Tucker makes a living, a fantastic one, on this stuff though. 

I don't like it and don't think people should do that.  That being said, I'd hope that Tucker saw the impact his base rhetoric can have, had a "Come to Jesus" moment and tones it down in the future.  The form of journalism Tucker (and many others) engages in swings both ways; it really endears you to some people....and it really makes you hated by others.  I'm just glad this guy wasn't off his rocker and attack Carlson physically.  

I feel the same way about leftist/mainstream media.  

I just really can't believe anyone would feel this is a good idea.  We are headed down a dangerous slope, and have been for awhile on things like this.  Carlson for sure is a blowhard, and yes he's made a lot of money.  So have guys like Keith Olbermann from the left.  I can't imagine seeing one of these guys and thinking, "Boy I'm gonna really go show him and tell him off."  It's poor form and shows a lack of intelligence to try and verbally confront someone like that anyway.  It shows they've gotten to you and the only possible outcome is something bad for you if you do it.  Regardless, it's not ok to go and put your hands on someone.  We shouldn't encourage idiots like this where we are already having dramatic increases in violence. Whether it's the initial confrontation that causes violence or perhaps a someone working security intervening, it can't end in a positive way. 
agree, but 36 on here do not.  tolerant party of open ideas, inclusiveness, caring ?  okey dokey.

agree, but 36 on here do not.  tolerant party of open ideas, inclusiveness, caring ?  okey dokey.
In my opinion it's just all part of a larger escalation in rhetoric and an ever growing current of hatred of people whose ideology is not the same as yours.  I've said earlier I truly believe there are two different visions for not just what we want America to be,  but even what America was in the past.  I don't know how we reconcile it.  I used to think people who said we would end up separated were crazy, but yet I don't know how we ever fix where we are now.  Neither side, for lack of a better term, wants to live in the country that the other envisions.

“What you have done to this state, to the United States, to everyone else in this world. What you have done to families, what you have done to everybody else in this world. I don’t care that your daughter is here. What you’ve done to people’s families…”

I occasionally deal with homeless/mentally challenged and I think Carlson handled this situation fine.  Defuse and get out. "I appreciate that, sir" and then walk past their bag of cans and other bag of cans.

In my opinion it's just all part of a larger escalation in rhetoric and an ever growing current of hatred of people whose ideology is not the same as yours.  I've said earlier I truly believe there are two different visions for not just what we want America to be,  but even what America was in the past.  I don't know how we reconcile it.  I used to think people who said we would end up separated were crazy, but yet I don't know how we ever fix where we are now.  Neither side, for lack of a better term, wants to live in the country that the other envisions.
Perhaps the man was attacking Tucker's self-serving hucksterism and not a "political stance." His statement is that Carlson's vaccine misinformation is harming his community and the country, which seems like an undeniable fact at this point. This is not about politics.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/05/tucker-carlsons-faulty-complaint-about-coronavirus-vaccines/

Perhaps the man was attacking Tucker's self-serving hucksterism and not a "political stance." His statement is that Carlson's vaccine misinformation is harming his community and the country, which seems like an undeniable fact at this point. This is not about politics.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/05/tucker-carlsons-faulty-complaint-about-coronavirus-vaccines/
If we give random citizens the power to decide these things are ok then where does it stop?  There are things Joy Reid says I deplore.  In my opinion she's a huckster every bit as much as Carlson.  However, I wouldn't think of confronting her in public or treating her in such a way.  But am I free to go up to her, and physically confront her if I decide she's crossed some line?  

If we give random citizens the power to decide these things are ok then where does it stop?  There are things Joy Reid says I deplore.  In my opinion she's a huckster every bit as much as Carlson.  However, I wouldn't think of confronting her in public or treating her in such a way.  But am I free to go up to her, and physically confront her if I decide she's crossed some line?  
"Physically confront" does not describe the video I saw. It makes it hard for me to respond to your statement "decide these things are ok." If random citizens can no longer tell the ruling class how they are ruining society, then what kind of democracy are we living in? Your statement feels a bit disingenous, or you are exaggerating what is in the video to fit your distaste. 

have noticed the hatred for say a Trump supporter is basically off the charts now from the other side.  Look at the poll in this thread alone.  Tucker had his child with him for pete's sake!  very disappointing but expected based on what I have read in here the last 4 years.  I liked Trump policies & put up with the side show.  what he got done in 4 years is amazing to me, but mention that in here & if possible you would be tarred & feathered.  I have many liberal friends but very few that can hide their utter contempt for a Trump supporter.  it is what it is & I just keep moving on & take note of the results of this poll.  very sad,  at least for me.  IMHO

have a good one.

“What you have done to this state, to the United States, to everyone else in this world. What you have done to families, what you have done to everybody else in this world. I don’t care that your daughter is here. What you’ve done to people’s families…”

I occasionally deal with homeless/mentally challenged and I think Carlson handled this situation fine.  Defuse and get out. "I appreciate that, sir" and then walk past their bag of cans and other bag of cans.
I had a homeless person stand in the middle of the street about a year or two ago and just start dancing in front of my car. Wouldn't move, just sat there and danced and stared at me menacingly. I told her I appreciated it and kicked her cans and then returned them for a deposit, which I kept. . 

shadrap said:
have noticed the hatred for say a Trump supporter is basically off the charts now from the other side.  Look at the poll in this thread alone.  Tucker had his child with him for pete's sake!  very disappointing but expected based on what I have read in here the last 4 years.  I liked Trump policies & put up with the side show.  what he got done in 4 years is amazing to me, but mention that in here & if possible you would be tarred & feathered.  I have many liberal friends but very few that can hide their utter contempt for a Trump supporter.  it is what it is & I just keep moving on & take note of the results of this poll.  very sad,  at least for me.  IMHO

have a good one.
His children are all adults.

thriftyrocker said:
I believe Tucker's youngest child is 19. Correct me if I'm wrong. If so, she is old enough to understand what is going on, and getting upset about this aspect of the story seems misguided.
That's a great talking point. If you're out with your family to procure a fishing rod, you're fair game if they're old enough, and so are they, apparently. Nice way to be. Nice place to live in you've created. Everyone is everybody else's keeper this way. 

Seems like anyone aspiring to public commentary deserves the full treatment from the citizenry, at all costs, whenever, wherever. Great world. Makes the best people want to participate. 

Hey, I've got an idea. Perhaps our democracy wouldn't be so removed from the people through legislation if people were actually encouraged to run when they looked around and saw the public landscape. It seems to me that odious encounters just deter the best and encourage the worst. 

Shula-holic said:
This is like the punching a Nazi thread where you can tell who has capacity for abstract thinking and who doesn't. It's that simple. If you agree with this, you're almost completely devoid of imagining the shoe on the other foot or the escalation of such tactics. 

That's a great talking about. If you're out with your family, you're fair game, and so are they, apparently. Nice way to be. Nice place to live in you've created. Everyone is everybody else's keeper this way. 
No one yelled at Tucker's family. Do not exaggerate to try and fit your narrative. A man in a public store calmly told Tucker he is ruining society. Then everyone left.

No one yelled at Tucker's family. Do not exaggerate to try and fit your narrative. A man in a public store calmly told Tucker he is ruining society. Then everyone left.
Nobody said anything about yelling. Reading comprehension down? I said that the personality is fair game, and by extension, so are their families, apparently, which they are just by being there. 

You know damn well that accosting somebody in public in front of their family implicates them. Stop niggling. 

Not only are you niggling, nobody is saying the words you're putting in their mouth, which I find often happens with your comments. Stop doing that. It derails the thread. 

Every time people try to tell people what happened or what didn't, and they don't understand how to use the English language, they wind up looking stupid. Don't be that person. 

Yes, the laughing emoji simply proves you don't know what the word means, because "accost" is exactly what happened to Tucker. Accost simply means to stop and speak in a challenging manner towards the person, which clearly happened. 

To laugh and double down just makes you look like you clearly don't understand what the word means. Perhaps you are Amused To Death, just like the laughing weasels in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? 

thriftyrocker said:
"Physically confront" does not describe the video I saw. It makes it hard for me to respond to your statement "decide these things are ok." If random citizens can no longer tell the ruling class how they are ruining society, then what kind of democracy are we living in? Your statement feels a bit disingenous, or you are exaggerating what is in the video to fit your distaste. 
Did he or did he not make physical contact?  If he didn't, I retract what I said.  If he did, I think most people find a problem with being touched by someone taking an aggressive posture towards them. We both factually know that is true.  It's not conjecture, it's not trying to determine if the person being accosted is in some sort of "ruling class".  But If you truly think I'm wrong and that's the right way to handle it where people shouldn't take offense, I suggest going up to the biggest guy at the nearest bar or gym, try just what you see in that video and let me know how he reacts.

Whether you like the public figure or condone their words is irrelevant.  We shouldn't have people deciding whether someone meets some arbitrary standard of awfulness, huckster, whatever you want it to be, where it is ok to go up and put their hands on someone.  

Did he or did he not make physical contact?  If he didn't, I retract what I said.  If he did, I think most people find a problem with being touched by someone taking an aggressive posture towards them. We both factually know that is true.  It's not conjecture, it's not trying to determine if the person being accosted is in some sort of "ruling class".  But If you truly think I'm wrong and that's the right way to handle it where people shouldn't take offense, I suggest going up to the biggest guy at the nearest bar or gym, try just what you see in that video and let me know how he reacts.

Whether you like the public figure or condone their words is irrelevant.  We shouldn't have people deciding whether someone meets some arbitrary standard of awfulness, huckster, whatever you want it to be, where it is ok to go up and put their hands on someone.  

The full video is 39 seconds. It appears the first/only contact is Carlson lightly touching the man to escort him away from his family so it can be handled as calmly as possible. 

There are no reports of physical altercation. There's no reason to have a "put their hands on someone" discussion. We are having a freedom of speech discussion.

We should allow people the freedom to tell someone off as long as it doesn't escalate to stalking or terroristic. Especially if the terrible person is escalating a pandemic because he feels it betters his career.

The full video is 39 seconds. It appears the first/only contact is Carlson lightly touching the man to escort him away from his family so it can be handled as calmly as possible. 

There are no reports of physical altercation. There's no reason to have a "put their hands on someone" discussion. We are having a freedom of speech discussion.

We should allow people the freedom to tell someone off as long as it doesn't escalate to stalking or terroristic. Especially if the terrible person is escalating a pandemic because he feels it betters his career.
I saw a 38 second clip.  It's unclear until around 8 seconds in where it appears each have their hand rested on the other's chest.  If we could post a screenshot I could show you a still of the other guy's hand on Carlson.  The fact it got to that is where my real beef is.  I say that as someone who is vaccinated and does think Carlson has done has done the vax efforts a disservice.  To be honest I have no idea if Carlson is vaccinated but honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was.

I never contended that he doesn't have a freedom of speech right to say what he did.  I think it's stupid, but he certainly has the right.  I said it upthread and I'll say it here, it shows a lack of intelligence on the level of a pro wrestling fan wanting to get the bad guy for cheating and beating up his favorite.  It's all a show and soap opera like a wrestling show of some sort.  We all know there are talking heads who appeal to their base in such a way.  Carlson certainly is one of them.  But as dumb as I think someone has to be for doing it, he got what he wanted with the social media glory for it.  So good for him I guess and bad on us as a society.  

I'll just say this, if this is our new norm we should just expect violence.  Tucker is obviously no tough guy.  Left, right, or center we all know that.  But for any of us that came up in a school or town where fights occurred with any frequency, we've all seen violence start from much less.  And that's more a self defense mechanism, not trying to be tough.  When someone approaches you in a berating way, the moment a hand from that person touches you, I'd be expecting escalation and certainly be ready to defend myself.

I saw a 38 second clip.  It's unclear until around 8 seconds in where it appears each have their hand rested on the other's chest.  If we could post a screenshot I could show you a still of the other guy's hand on Carlson.

I never contended that he doesn't have a freedom of speech right to say what he did.  I think it's stupid, but he certainly has the right.  I said it upthread and I'll say it here, it shows a lack of intelligence on the level of a pro wrestling fan wanting to get the bad guy for cheating and beating up his favorite.  It's all a show and soap opera like a wrestling show of some sort.  We all know there are talking heads who appeal to their base in such a way.  Carlson certainly is one of them.  But as dumb as I think someone has to be for doing it, he got what he wanted with the social media glory for it.  So good for him I guess and bad on us as a society.  

I'll just say this, if this is our new norm we should just expect violence.  Tucker is obviously no tough guy.  Left, right, or center we all know that.  But for any of us that came up in a school or town where fights occurred with any frequency, we've all seen violence start from much less.  And that's more a self defense mechanism, not trying to be tough.  When someone approaches you in a berating way, the moment a hand from that person touches you, I'd be expecting escalation and certainly be ready to defend myself.
Certainly valid. I tried to think of similar "accosting" incidents and remembered Chris Cuomo nearly coming to blows with a conservative who called him "Fredo." Similar situation in that Cuomo was there with his wife and young child. Carlson gets credit for handling it calmly and defusing it. You would hope Cuomo would not blow up like that in front of his kid, but he did. Sad these two are the best news stations have to offer.

Is Rocaction on a time out? :oldunsure:
Sidebar: I always find it odd here that the mods ban someone and do not mention it.  @Joe Bryant has said before that this a forum they are proud of, and I am sure he realizes that it is the posters who make it that way, and I would think letting the forum know when a poster is banned would be a courtesy they would make, that way if you are having a conversation with them in one or more threads, for example, and they stop replying to you, then you know it's because they are banned, not because they just decided to bail mid-convo.  Not saying the mods have to make a big show of it every time a ban happens, but maybe a pinned and locked thread (that way the forum cannot litigate the banning when the ban is listed) where it is stated what poster is banned and maybe even the length would be a good idea.  Maybe it is a good idea, maybe it is not.  

Sidebar: I always find it odd here that the mods ban someone and do not mention it.  @Joe Bryant has said before that this a forum they are proud of, and I am sure he realizes that it is the posters who make it that way, and I would think letting the forum know when a poster is banned would be a courtesy they would make, that way if you are having a conversation with them in one or more threads, for example, and they stop replying to you, then you know it's because they are banned, not because they just decided to bail mid-convo.  Not saying the mods have to make a big show of it every time a ban happens, but maybe a pinned and locked thread (that way the forum cannot litigate the banning when the ban is listed) where it is stated what poster is banned and maybe even the length would be a good idea.  Maybe it is a good idea, maybe it is not.  

Sounds like a lot of work and could lead to bad things.  I could maybe see having the software update someones profile saying "on timeout until XXX" but 1. I'm not sure the software does it (doubtful) and 2. Some posters would prefer folks not knowing they are on timeout - I imagine.

As for the topic, I already voted and said what I thought about it but I will say my general take on several of the comments in here is that they feel partisan and would flip-flop if you replace Tucker with Maddow. 

ETA - although to be fair, well over half said it's not cool or awful, so I guess that's good.

Users who are viewing this thread